Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One of the best mocks I have seen this year

50 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

https://www.drafttek.com/m/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

1. Kinlaw DL

2a. Love QB

2B Ruiz OG 

3. Kmet TE

Drafting an offensive guard high doesn't make much sense to me.  We have our starting lineup.  You could look at replacing Glow as he is the weak link but even then we have so many other concerns that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Just on offense you could make a much better argument for drafting a OT, WR or a RB high. 

And on defense you could argue for DL, CB, ILB as well.

OG seems like a luxury pick.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Each of those players is a potential first round pick.  So having first round players going at 13, 34, 44 and 75 doesn’t make that a “good mock”. It makes it an unrealistic mock.

Honestly though it seems like the media plays far more than 32 potential first rounders.  

Every year after the first round ends it feels like there are at least a dozen players sometimes more where everyone is shocked that they are still on the board at the start of round 2.  

I don't know everything about all of these players.  But unless you are talking about someone who's clearly going in the top half of the first round, the talent difference between the bottom half of the first and top of the 2nd doesn't seem to be very big.  

I think that might be why Ballard has managed to consistently have multiple 2nd round picks for 3 years straight now. (I think it's a purposeful strategy too)  People over value those bottom of the 1st round picks and under value the top of the 2nd round picks.  

Hell saying you got a late first rounder for a trade just sounds SO much better than saying you got a high 2nd rounder.  So suddenly pick 32 is valued like it's more than just 1 pick away from pick 33.  Granted there is the 5th year option available there but I don't really think it's all that valuable, although I suppose that it's another reason why people have convinced themselves to value pick 32 so much higher than pick 33. 

When we traded down from 3 to 6 with the Jets we walked away with 3 picks.  Those became an all pro linebacker, a above average OL, and a starting CB with some strong potential.  That's a lot of talent there.  The Jets did a victory lap because they moved up 3 spots **WITHOUT GIVING UP A FIRST ROUND PICK.**

• Like 2

Yep, they're shocked because they make the mistake of assigning validity to all the 

mock drafts and use them as a reference point for who dropped or was a reach.

For instance, I'm seeing mocks with Simmons at #3 to DET. I'd be less shocked to see

him fall out of the top-10 than to see him go at #3.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Each of those players is a potential first round pick.  So having first round players going at 13, 34, 44 and 75 doesn’t make that a “good mock”. It makes it an unrealistic mock.

Meh, Kmet is not a first round guy.  He's barely a second round guy.  Not a stong blocker and nothing about his passing game that stands out.  He's a late day 2 player at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly though it seems like the media plays far more than 32 potential first rounders.  

Every year after the first round ends it feels like there are at least a dozen players sometimes more where everyone is shocked that they are still on the board at the start of round 2.  

I don't know everything about all of these players.  But unless you are talking about someone who's clearly going in the top half of the first round, the talent difference between the bottom half of the first and top of the 2nd doesn't seem to be very big.  

I think that might be why Ballard has managed to consistently have multiple 2nd round picks for 3 years straight now. (I think it's a purposeful strategy too)  People over value those bottom of the 1st round picks and under value the top of the 2nd round picks.  

Hell saying you got a late first rounder for a trade just sounds SO much better than saying you got a high 2nd rounder.  So suddenly pick 32 is valued like it's more than just 1 pick away from pick 33.  Granted there is the 5th year option available there but I don't really think it's all that valuable, although I suppose that it's another reason why people have convinced themselves to value pick 32 so much higher than pick 33. 

When we traded down from 3 to 6 with the Jets we walked away with 3 picks.  Those became an all pro linebacker, a above average OL, and a starting CB with some strong potential.  That's a lot of talent there.  The Jets did a victory lap because they moved up 3 spots **WITHOUT GIVING UP A FIRST ROUND PICK.**

It is old news that in any given draft there are 15-20 Blue chippers.
 And that picks 20-40 or so are pick your favorite.

22 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think it is certainly possibly he lasts to 34. I could see Eason getting drafted before Love. 

I'm more and more convinced that these days the QB's are hard to predict.  

The old adage that it only takes one team to fall in love with him is true.  It's also true that QB's are the most reached for position in the draft.

To me Love as a prospect seems roughly comparable to Josh Allen and Allen went pretty high.  Although to be fair I think the QB's in this class is more talented than the class Josh Allen was in.  

I could see Love going in the bottom of the top 10 or I could see him going in the 3rd round.