Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Las Vegas Raiders offering Brady 2/60

danlhart87

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure what the tampering rules are but I think tampering only occurs if a FA or his agent meets/talks with a team before they are allowed too. This here is just something the Raiders are saying publicly to the media about a contract and what they would offer.

I'm not sure any more, either, but stuff like this USED to be construed as tampering. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Tampering? 

There is no tampering because this isn't an official offer from the Raiders. All this is is a tweet that someone has heard that the Raiders are prepared to offer 2 years 60 million. It isn't like the Las Vegas Raiders twitter account said this. Larry Fitzgerald's dad is the one who made the tweet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure what the tampering rules are but I think tampering only occurs if a FA or his agent meets/talks with a team before they are allowed too. This here is just something the Raiders are saying publicly to the media about a contract and what they would offer.

It would be tampering if the team where coming out and saying that we are prepared to offer Tom Brady 2 year -  60 M contract.  Tampering rules pretty much prevent the team from even mentioning the name of another team's player in any context when it comes to acquiring free agents.  

That said there are 2 things here. 

1. Agents and teams have found a way to skirt tampering rules a lot or at the very least break them without getting caught.

2. This information was posted as a rumor by a media type.  Media types can't be punished for tampering.  I think this is sort of another way that agents for big time free agents and teams can sort of skirt the tampering rules a bit.  A member of the team's staff can let it slip (off the record) that the team is interested in a certain free agent.  Media types often don't name their sources but they can basically print out there that the team is interested.  That allows the player's agent to investigate to find out what they would be offering.  

Now if the media type named his source within the team they could be in huge trouble.  At the very least the team would have to claim they are a rouge employee and fire them.  But then again a media type that named his sources would be cut off from future inside info, so they won't name their source and a team rep can continue to feed them information like this with management approving (but obviously never saying they approve.)

In a sense this story is likely a indirect way of offering Tom Brady a contract.  

The only problem is that Tom Brady isn't very motivated by money and the Raiders really arn't that good.  So I doubt he goes and plays for the Raiders, no matter what they offer.  

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 8:46 AM, chad72 said:

I hope this happens so that I can see who wins better without the other, Belichick or Brady. Brady's ego is in for a shock this off season, no doubt in my mind. 

I'm taking Belichick all day everyday on this one. Pats went 11 - 5 with Cassel starting. 

• Like 3

On 2/19/2020 at 1:10 PM, buccolts said:

If he's afraid to face certain other players, he should just retire then.

Peyton did the same too, didn't want the NFC, didn't want to play against the Colts twice, so he chose his division wisely in free agency. If I am Brady, why would I leave the AFC West where I can possibly have a 5-1 or 6-0 record every year? That is half way to a bye week seed most years.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Peyton did the same too, didn't want the NFC, didn't want to play against the Colts twice, so he chose his division wisely in free agency. If I am Brady, why would I leave the AFC West where I can possibly have a 5-1 or 6-0 record every year? That is half way to a bye week seed most years.

Actually, he didnt want to have to play Eli, is why he chose to stay out of the NFC...and as for playing the Colts, he had actually narrowed it down to Denver and Houston and ended up playing the Colts every season that he was in Denver

59 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Actually, he didnt want to have to play Eli, is why he chose to stay out of the NFC...and as for playing the Colts, he had actually narrowed it down to Denver and Houston and ended up playing the Colts every season that he was in Denver

Yeah, we all knew that about Peyton/Eli and avoiding the NFC. Plus, when you have a gazillion threads about Brady and the Raiders, I have to repeat myself. I laid out all the Peyton reasons here in his free agency decision plus the reasons I felt Brady will not be in the AFC West. Btw, Peyton did not play the Colts in 2012, just 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Here, I just quoted it from another thread: