Mathis Tweets He Will Play Sam

chad72

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Freeney playing rush LB?

I remember Bill Parcells stating when he had Lawrence Taylor in his 3-4. Dropping him in coverage was not working out so well. So he thought, heck with it, if the QB is going to complete passes, at least I can unleash LT on him and make his life miserable, so just let him rush the QB all the time. I envision a similar scenario with Freeney but if we have the NT to demand double teams, and blitzing LBs, Freeney will be effective, stunts or no stunts, IMO. Rush the QB, he can but he is a costly rusher :).

Looking like Freeny isnt gonna budge on the deal, but one thing I would like to se some sort of documentation of him saying he wouldnt play in a 3-4

What makes you think he won't budge?

Have you read something, or just reading between the lines due to the lack of activity etc?

I remember Bill Parcells stating when he had Lawrence Taylor in his 3-4. Dropping him in coverage was not working out so well. So he thought, heck with it, if the QB is going to complete passes, at least I can unleash LT on him and make his life miserable, so just let him rush the QB all the time. I envision a similar scenario with Freeney but if we have the NT to demand double teams, and blitzing LBs, Freeney will be effective, stunts or no stunts, IMO. Rush the QB, he can but he is a costly rusher :).

I see what you're saying but LT was on a whole 'nother level when it came to run pursuit. And we don't have that NT yet.

I really think we need to go another route with the "Suggs" OLB role if in fact Freeney winds up not re-doing his contract.

Just said Id like to see documentation be it verbal or not, why should the Colts budge on 19 million on an aging player that at times I believe was clearly hurt last year he had a noticeable limp at times and not to mention by freeny standards underperformed that may not be age and may very well be that he was playing hurt but age is still a concern in my opinion as good as the steelers were with all them veterans it hurt their cap cause they hung on to so many for so long just like us, In the NFL you always have retool and if you dont you end up having to rebuild like we are doing now which in turn keeps players hungry cause guess what they know if they slip they can be next in line to get to get the axe thats how it works ya dont say ok Ill give you an insane amount of money on players that dont perform up to past standards (both the players standards and the coaches)

ROBERT MATHIS @RobertMathis98

4-3 got freeney and i chipped to death!!! at least with this we can have the same opportunites as other guys in the league

i dont know but at least i wont be a blocking dummy anymore in a predictable over2

he is the Rush LB (Suggs) -Freeney

i got a feelin Wheeler will be the other olb. He was an excellent rusher in college and showed he can rush the qb in the times he was designed to.

If that was the situation I'd rather have Wheeler in more of a coverage role than Mathis and have Mathis be the rush LB...I'm pretty sure this means we are keeping Freeney

Regardless of the Freeney contract situation it is nice to read something about an actual Colt player in the "Colts Forum" for a change ;)....I like that Mathis seems so stoked it can only lead to good things, imo.

The reason I want wheeler as the other olb is because he was an excellent rusher in college(something we didnt have him do here) and was an actually pretty good lb with some coverage skills. I dont think ive ever heard of dwight covering someone or dropping into coverage. Wheeler was rated as the 13th best olb by pro football focus.

Im up for experimenting with wheeler at the position but freeny no he should remain where hes always been especially at this stage in his career and only if he reworks his contract, Id like him to stay ONLY under a new deal

Im up for experimenting with wheeler at the position but freeny no he should remain where hes always been especially at this stage in his career and only if he reworks his contract, Id like him to stay ONLY under a new deal

So you don't want him on his current deal? Is that correct?

IMO D Free simply does not fit with the "new" attitude on D. Freeney is not interested in stopping the run. Why pay a guy all that cheez to just rush the passer? I don't see it. LT was a STUD on every down. He played ballz out against the run and pass. Dwight's next tackle of a RB in the backfield may be his first.

Mathis will be fine standing up, even better than he was at DE. And I want to see Hughes get a chance also .... And I think Indy will go OLB/rush end with their 2nd pick. Or CB....

I hope Indy just trades or releases him.

Freeney's gotta go.

Seems to me that Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and others will use their slot receivers and tight ends often and effectively to make both Freeney and Mathis look silly in pass protection. It's not like the Colts have all but a couple of pieces to run an effective 3-4. They don't have the big interior linebackers, they have only one DE and no nose tackle. In my opinion, the only asset the entire team has is the Mathis/Freeney pass rush. They are going to be taken out of their natural positions..............and the one thing that is not broke is being fixed?...............it must be me, because I don't see anyone else questioning this.

Trust Pagano to know what he is doing, being a defensive minded coach, to install an effective defense using the chess pieces that we DO have. I'm sure he's well aware that Freeney and Mathis are out of their comfort zones and that we need a solid DT. We will get there in time.

Seems to me that Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and others will use their slot receivers and tight ends often and effectively to make both Freeney and Mathis look silly in pass protection. It's not like the Colts have all but a couple of pieces to run an effective 3-4. They don't have the big interior linebackers, they have only one DE and no nose tackle. In my opinion, the only asset the entire team has is the Mathis/Freeney pass rush. They are going to be taken out of their natural positions..............and the one thing that is not broke is being fixed?...............it must be me, because I don't see anyone else questioning this.

Mathis and Freeny are not offensive linemen. How could they look silly in their pass protection? I believe Freeny and Mathis would line up (stand up) outside the DE's on the line of scrimmage. Freeny and Mathis would then be able to be rush the passer or use their speed to chase running backs down behind the line.

Mathis and Freeny are not offensive linemen. How could they look silly in their pass protection? I believe Freeny and Mathis would line up (stand up) outside the DE's on the line of scrimmage. Freeny and Mathis would then be able to be rush the passer or use their speed to chase running backs down behind the line.

I meant coverage (obviously)

4-3 got freeney and i chipped to death!!! at least with this we can have the same opportunites as other guys in the league

i dont know but at least i wont be a blocking dummy anymore in a predictable over2

he is the Rush LB (Suggs) -Freeney

He seems very enthusiastic about this....

The difernce is that he wanst to play in the new formations and Dwight apparently doers not.

Either that or he just doenst tweet about it..

His problem cant be a re-do getting more years on his contract...///because that's not a problem

I believe Freeny and Mathis would line up (stand up) outside the DE's on the line of scrimmage. Freeny and Mathis would then be able to be rush the passer or use their speed to chase running backs down behind the line.

That does'nt answer the concern about slot recievers and tight ends...........

I dont think Freeny is going to be running around chasing a slot receiver or tight end. Give me break. I think Pagano knows what Freeny and Mathis do best.

No need to take it personnally.........I just have an opinion... Mario Williams dropped into coveage on occasion last year in the Texan's new 3-4....and his sack production went down.....the Bills are reverting back to a 4-3 now that they have Williams.....

Mostly everything on our D was broken last year. Fix it all

I love that Mathis is so pumped up about this. If Freeney really wants to be a Colt and play on this team then he will do it. Hard work, dedication, he could do it, if he really wants to. Does he want to? I have no idea. I do think he should negotiate on his contract though. I don't want to get all into something when we don't really know anything yet. If Pagano wants him then he will have a spot for him. I have faith that Pagano knows what he is doing. I do have to watch the Bengals play they Ravens every year with where I live. That defense has been nothing to joke about.