Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis Tweets He Will Play Sam

chad72

No need to take it personnally.........I just have an opinion... Mario Williams dropped into coveage on occasion last year in the Texan's new 3-4....and his sack production went down.....the Bills are reverting back to a 4-3 now that they have Williams.....

His production went down because he went on IR in October. Before that he recorded five sacks and a forced fumble and was getting more comfortable each week. Either way his natural position IS in a 4-3 so that makes a lot of sense, probably a reason why he signed with them (besides BIG $$$$).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that Mathis is so pumped up about this. If Freeney really wants to be a Colt and play on this team then he will do it. Hard work, dedication, he could do it, if he really wants to. Does he want to? I have no idea. I do think he should negotiate on his contract though. I don't want to get all into something when we don't really know anything yet. If Pagano wants him then he will have a spot for him. I have faith that Pagano knows what he is doing. I do have to watch the Bengals play they Ravens every year with where I live. That defense has been nothing to joke about.

You make a good point, kayla...

There is something here...that's not being said.

the Colts have the cut the players they felt could not play so freeney is NOT one of them

they resiged Mathias who has as much experinece as a standup linebacker as Freenmey

To me, that says that the new coache swant him back.

He gets $19 mil for 2012 but the Ciolts seem willing to extend that contract over 2 or 3 or 4 years

An old player would WANT a longer contract...and Mathis knows he risks being cut if her doesn't extend his deal.

Mathis is suggesting (actually he's saying it out loud) that he an Freeney BOTH could fit in the new defense

So what's the real issue?

The real issue is Freeny has yet to say, Ok Jim Ill take a cut for the benefit of the team, but he might, still waiting like everyone else

Gavin

That's what I'm saying.

he's NOT being asked to take a cut.

the idea is to spread his money out over 3 or 4 years...so the cap hit is spread out

..is he just certain he cannot play in a 3-4 scheme...even when Mathis and (I assume) Pagano are telling him he can?

What's not being said?

Somebody also asked Mathis "will Hughes play a larger role in the new D"

his response was "you'd rather have him in there or something?" :)

Anyway, I am excited about the new Colts on defense, even if it doesn't work. It is nice to see something new and I am sure part of Mathis' enthusiasm comes from doing something new after years of playing the same scheme.

Somebody also asked Mathis "will Hughes play a larger role in the new D"

his response was "you'd rather have him in there or something?" :)

Anyway, I am excited about the new Colts on defense, even if it doesn't work. It is nice to see something new and I am sure part of Mathis' enthusiasm comes from doing something new after years of playing the same scheme.

I dont know if 30-something players love a new scheme..that may be Freeney's problem

i just wonder if they are going to trade Freeney or is there some injury no one knows about except certain people? I dont know, I just find it odd he is so quiet about everything. I feel like I just keep hearing speculation and no real words from Freeney himself.

i just wonder if they are going to trade Freeney or is there some injury no one knows about except certain people? I dont know, I just find it odd he is so quiet about everything. I feel like I just keep hearing speculation and no real words from Freeney himself.

exactly.....

No need to take it personnally.........I just have an opinion... Mario Williams dropped into coveage on occasion last year in the Texan's new 3-4....and his sack production went down.....the Bills are reverting back to a 4-3 now that they have Williams.....

As someone else already mentioned, Mario Williams was injured and put on IR. He had 5 sacks in 5 games. While an unrealistic pace, he wasn't having any trouble converting and would realistically have been able to achieve his second or third best season in terms of sack production, and his best if that absurd pace stayed true.

And the Bills were already reverting back to a 4-3, even before they had Mario Williams. Note the "Posted on" date. His best fit is indeed in a 4-3, but from the 5 games he played, he was having no trouble with a 3-4.

I am not taking it personally. I think Pagano and company have a better idea where to line up Freeny and Mathis to get the best out of our D.

You make a good point, kayla...

There is something here...that's not being said.

the Colts have the cut the players they felt could not play so freeney is NOT one of them

they resiged Mathias who has as much experinece as a standup linebacker as Freenmey

To me, that says that the new coache swant him back.

He gets $19 mil for 2012 but the Ciolts seem willing to extend that contract over 2 or 3 or 4 years

An old player would WANT a longer contract...and Mathis knows he risks being cut if her doesn't extend his deal.

Mathis is suggesting (actually he's saying it out loud) that he an Freeney BOTH could fit in the new defense

So what's the real issue?

Just throwing this out there. Freeny probably is the only one that has value in a trade. Not sure though.

Well I bet Angerer has some value ( he was close to the league leader in tackles and is agressive) he might have lead the league, forgets. but I am not given him up hes young and has talent

I like Angerer too. I would not want to lose him.

As someone else already mentioned, Mario Williams was injured and put on IR. He had 5 sacks in 5 games. While an unrealistic pace, he wasn't having any trouble converting and would realistically have been able to achieve his second or third best season in terms of sack production, and his best if that absurd pace stayed true.

And the Bills were already reverting back to a 4-3, even before they had Mario Williams. Note the "Posted on" date. His best fit is indeed in a 4-3, but from the 5 games he played, he was having no trouble with a 3-4.

I forgot about him being on IR......he had two against the Colts on opening day (almost don't count?).....anyway, the jist of my concern is....if Freeney stays....aren't he and Mathis most effective in their natural positions?....won't they both be forced to play coverage at least on occassion?.....the Ravens have great players in their front seven who are natural 3-4 players.......the Colts don't have those players right now.....they really only have one piece...Redding........of course Pagano...and probably alot of people reading this know more about football than I do....but in my opinion...there are so many missing pieces....it's questionable have two great players change positions for the sake of a scheme....

No one can tell me, Tom Brady wont expose Freeny and Mathis time and time again if they play linebacker the majority of the time against them I can see it now, Brady to Gronk....Touchdown......Brady to Gronk.....touchdown......Brady to Hernandez ......oooo he just blew by Freeny! TOUCHDOWN.....yeah I dont wanna see the colts get lit up 62 ( or worse) to 7 but I actually think we would score more then 7 (I can hope)

Well I bet Angerer has some value ( he was close to the league leader in tackles and is agressive) he might have lead the league, forgets. but I am not given him up hes young and has talent

I meant Freeny was the only one of value in regards to players released or may be released.

No one can tell me, Tom Brady wont expose Freeny and Mathis time and time again if they play linebacker the majority of the time against them I can see it now, Brady to Gronk....Touchdown......Brady to Gronk.....touchdown......Brady to Hernandez ......oooo he just blew by Freeny! TOUCHDOWN.....yeah I dont wanna see the colts get lit up 62 ( or worse) to 7 but I actually think we would score more then 7 (I can hope)

Freeny will not be covering Gronk. Some people must think Pagano and company are *s. Although nobody else can cover that guy either. BTW Brady exposes most players.

sure Brady exposes most players but did you see what Graham did last year in that 62-7 embarrasment? sometimes linevackers will have to drop back which means either Mathis or Freeny will on ocassion will be responsible for guarding Hernandez or Gronk on certain plays, I have no doubt Belicheck will see that he gets that matchup from time to time. obviously Bethea wont be responsible for covering him, the first think on Betheas mind will be HOW DO I COVER THAT, Zbykowski has size maybe he would do alright anyway you look at it those two are matchup nightmares (Gronk and Hernandez) now they wont be matched up all the time but their will be ocassions and their is just no way freeny wins that matchup on the ocassions it will happen, thats what football is about, exposing matchup problems

We have very few good players left at this point. Freeney should be as capable as Mathis at making a position switch, we're not gonna replace our franchise passer and pass rusher in one offseason unless Irsay's eager to field the equivalent of an expansion team in 2012.

Oh no I dont think we will either, but when the ocassions arise Gronk is matched up against Freeny if he does play Linebacker then their is no way he wins, I say keep freeny if he restructures but I havent heard him say he will yet, my guess is Irsay is actively shopping him now but that is pure speculation

he played like four games before he got hurt

egg what you need to understand about a 3-4 defense only about 90% of the time not even do the olb play coverage. most of the time their coming to rush the passer. the three down lineman's job is take on blocks so the lbers can get to the qb which is why you dont see alot of sacks from lineman in the 3-4 unless your name is ngata

sure Brady exposes most players but did you see what Graham did last year in that 62-7 embarrasment? sometimes linevackers will have to drop back which means either Mathis or Freeny will on ocassion will be responsible for guarding Hernandez or Gronk on certain plays, I have no doubt Belicheck will see that he gets that matchup from time to time. obviously Bethea wont be responsible for covering him, the first think on Betheas mind will be HOW DO I COVER THAT, Zbykowski has size maybe he would do alright anyway you look at it those two are matchup nightmares (Gronk and Hernandez) now they wont be matched up all the time but their will be ocassions and their is just no way freeny wins that matchup on the ocassions it will happen, thats what football is about, exposing matchup problems

Pagano has stated we will attack and has shown his d does attack. Gronk vs freeny match up or Mathis vs Gronk match up will never happen as they will be rushing Brady. The 3 down linemen and 2 OLB would rush Brady. That leaves 4 dbs and 2 Ilb's to cover at most 5 receivers. We dictate the match up. BTW I believe Mathis can cover as well as some lb's in this league.

Oh no I dont think we will either, but when the ocassions arise Gronk is matched up against Freeny if he does play Linebacker then their is no way he wins, I say keep freeny if he restructures but I havent heard him say he will yet, my guess is Irsay is actively shopping him now but that is pure speculation

I believe you need to understand the difference in d-fense we will be running. We wont have a 4 man line and 3 linebackers running backwards (dang that was frustrating). We will have 5 men at the LOS mostly and going after the QB or RB the back 6 will cover and that will not be Mathis and Freeny very often if at all.

The thing is when frathis does have to cover somebody its not like they will have to do it alone. I doubt Pagano will tell them to run Downfield with a receiver with no help by a safety. They will mostly cover the flats I think. Maybe a shallow zone. these guys are some of the best athletes in the world, they can learn to do a couple new things in space.

I think there will be a learning curve and the first few weeks the defensive front might have some serious communication issues. But to prevent this they might actually play a lot in the preseason to get game ready with it.

#98 and #93 are one of the greatest DE one two punch in the league, if not the best. I hope that with them moving around the rest of the defensive linemen step up and clog the wholes in the front.

I don't know if Freeney has coverage skills, but some of you must be forgetting his speed. Freeney is a 4.5 guy. He's faster than Gronk ever was and (if he wanted to) could stay with any tight end. He's also more powerful than most tight ends and any slot receiver. It's just a matter of him either not ever doing it or not ever wanting to do it.

speed in a straight line when your soul purpose is to go after the quarterback is one thing, him being in space standing up against a pass catching tight end and god forbid if it happens to be Gronk I dont see it workin in our favor and I dont wish to see a 62-7 repeat of what the Saints did to us alot of which was with Graham

I don't know if Freeney has coverage skills, but some of you must be forgetting his speed. Freeney is a 4.5 guy. He's faster than Gronk ever was and (if he wanted to) could stay with any tight end. He's also more powerful than most tight ends and any slot receiver. It's just a matter of him either not ever doing it or not ever wanting to do it.

How well can he backpedal?

Gavin, I don't know why but seem to be unwilling to accept the idea that Freeney and Mathis will not be used in coverage any considerable amount of time. That goes for any other OLB in this kind of scheme. What you're saying about these two guys trying to cover tight ends or running backs against the pass is probably right. And I think Pagano and Manusky understand that better than any of us.

Some of the best news I've heard from the Colts is the possibility that Freeney will stay and play! He's still got enough in him to go at least 3-4 more years and probably would enjoy the new alignment and new direction the Colts will be taking!!! He has always been very adaptable and he knows the town and loves the Colts and that is good to have "old" players around to show the newbies what a great town Indy is and give them a boost in good thoughts to think about this great state and great AFC Football team! We'll have plenty of newbies around this year, but they need to learn about us and the best way to do that is with their "old" Colts showing them the ropes!

Jaric, I agree with most of what you said about Freeney! Add to that his intelligence and all of the knowledge of the teams we play, he will be a great help not just by being there, but able to anticipate everyone we play...AND remember...he's got good years of knowing the game whether it's a new 3x4 or the old 4x3. He has been highly adaptable for many years. I think we would be hurting ourselves by getting rid of an exceptional "old Colt" when he still has so much to contribute to the team that will have lots of new kids on the block with big ideas and they will need to have some of the "old Colts" there to help them learn the ropes.