Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I am on this boat and have been for around 2 months since I heard Par McAfee gush over him on a podcast.

He was a JUCO guy ( all he did there was throw 3,000+ yards and win a national title, as a freshman, lol)

He transferred to Wazzu and sat behind Luje Falk and Gardner Minshew. Learned under them and then exploded on the scene this year. 

I also feel the the knock on his leadership only comes from one guy. Strong option sports podcast. He is the only person I have heard say that. 

I don't think Ballard will overlook him even if some fans may overlook him. He has got good pocket presence if given the time, in finding and leading his guys and throwing them open. 

I have to look at more and more game film because windows get tighter in the NFL. This UCLA game film suggests that he takes chances in a crowd to me, does well against zone coverage and can be prone to INTs in crowded spaces, not much different than most rookie QBs but I see the upside in him, yes.

He does have a bit of a gun slinger in him, just like Minshew. I do not see the involvement of the RB in the passing game most of the time but that could be the offensive scheme too. He does enjoy a lot of time in the pocket though, at least against the competition he faced, won't be the case in the NFL.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Gordon needs to hit the protein. That kid is skinny. One hit from J.J. Watt and trip to the infirmary. 

All I say is
Anthony Gordon is 6’4” 210 lbs

Everyones beloved Jordon Love 6’4” 225 lbs

Not to much difference. A little time in the training room with the Colts and who knows what he will look like. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is where he questions his leadership. This guy has connection with WSU and has seen him play live a couple of times. This was his observations. He said he wilts under pressure.

Me thinks this guy is Mr Hot Take... 

Most reviews have Love pretty good in the pocket and under pressure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Me thinks this guy is Mr Hot Take... 

Most reviews have Love pretty good in the pocket and under pressure.

I watch a lot of his videos. I think he has well thought out arguments. He has also met Gordon. You can tell he really does not like his attitude. This isn’t some guy with hot takes. He has connections with WSU and has been around the team quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I watch a lot of his videos. I think he has well thought out arguments. He has also met Gordon. You can tell he really does not like his attitude. This isn’t some guy with hot takes. He has connections with WSU and has been around the team quite a bit.

The Podcast title is "Strong Opinion Sports"..... think about that for a minute... 

"met him" lol... come on. Says he probably doesn't remember him... 

I'd also point out this dude was a Minshew fan, and Gordon beat Minshew in every category in only one starting season. He then goes on to deflect and skips to comparing him to Burrow. Says Gordon passed way more than Burrow, etc... and fails to mention the talent gap surrounding both. Puts everything on the Utah game lol... then drops a Tom Brady comparison.... Then goes on to talk about himself.... 

This guy is a hot take machine... Not saying Gordon will or won't do anything in the NFL, but this guy's podcast is not something I'd put any stock in at all lol.. Defies a lot of reviews by serious scouts..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Like I said I don’t think he purposely has hot takes. In the end it’s just his opinion and his gut feeling. It’s up to scouts to determine if it’s true.

Calling a guy's leadership into question over some random podcast dude's opinion over sideline demeanor during one game is a little much, no? Because he wasn't cheer leading like Minshew lol? It's not like he's a behavior nightmare, crappy student, locker room cancer, etc.. 

• Like 2

I love that he came to Wazzu and battled with Luke Falk and lost. 

Then he battled with Gardner Minshew and lost. 

The Wazzu brought in a legit grad transfer Gage Gubrud and he said no more and beat him out. Then went on to have an amazing season. 

Just how much he has battled makes me like him to either beat out JB or push him to great levels.

• Like 1

We’ll see what Ballard and folks think. The more I see Mike Leach’s offense, the more I’m impressed with all the formations. I think that will serve Gordon well at the next level.

Minshew is the biggest reason fan and coach radars are on WSU. Now Mike Leach has gone to Mississippi if I’m not mistaken. I can see a team pulling the trigger on Gordon in Rounds 2 or 3 definitely. We’ll see if it’s the Colts.

Give this guy a running game, and he could be dangerous

There are a few QBs that could be had in the second round that have some skills

ALL of the QBs (with the possible exception of Burrows and Tua) will (should) be

sitting most of year one (They all have some holes to develop)

The point is.... we have OPTIONS

We dont need a Manning  .... we just need someone that has the GOOD CHANCE to be better than current QB play

• Thanks 1

The more I read and listen to about this guy, the more I love him with our second round pick.  I love that in the video his ex teammate comes right out and debunks his leadership.  Says he is no nonsense in the huddle and takes command.  Everything I hear screams that this kid would be amazing for us. 

I'm not saying he will be this person, but his path, what people say about him and his mentality screams Aaron Rodgers to me.

Elite Arm talent

Elite Throwing Motion

Humbled because of JUCO

Went to non traditional power

Fought to get on the field

His ex teammate literally says he is "California Cool" with how he approaches the game

Take him in the 2nd, Take him now, lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The more I read and listen to about this guy, the more I love him with our second round pick.  I love that in the video his ex teammate comes right out and debunks his leadership.  Says he is no nonsense in the huddle and takes command.  Everything I hear screams that this kid would be amazing for us. 

I'm not saying he will be this person, but his path, what people say about him and his mentality screams Aaron Rodgers to me.

Elite Arm talent

Elite Throwing Motion

Humbled because of JUCO

Went to non traditional power

Fought to get on the field

His ex teammate literally says he is "California Cool" with how he approaches the game

Take him in the 2nd, Take him now, lol

Hey, this profile on this network that I respect, says to slow down with the hype of a 2nd rounder:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/anthony-gordon/CiSAc6JO6a

I get it, you are enamored with him and if he works out, you will be back here like so many armchair draft pundits, including me, one of whose spaghetti will eventually stick on the wall, whether it is Jordan Love or Justin Herbert or Anthony Gordon. 

Things that I saw in film that I agree with this profile:

1. One year starter

2. He may very well be a product of the air raid system. He has far too many instances of ill advised throws in tight windows. 

3. Makes some pretty ambitious decisions, especially when boxed into the pocket. Needs to be willing to either throw ball away or take sacks to protect ball security and not play "hero" ball.

4. Will need to see how he retains fluid running skills when he adds some needed weight to his frame. My comments: Russell Wilson was close to his weight when he was drafted but we all knew RW had some serious wheels, threw better on the run and was built stockier, yet he went in Round 3.

5. Lack of any real pressure in his face has formed some lazy tendencies with his footwork. My comments: this is something I noticed too because his competition wasn't producing the best pressure.

I am sure I will not be the only one noticing these, just like we notice Jordan Love not taking checkdowns enough. Like I said before, all these rookie QBs need to go to a system where their HC will maximize their skills and correct their weaknesses because everyone will have their flaws. If you go and look back at Rodgers' and Brees' draft profiles, you will laugh, it is just that no one really knows till a few years later. Does anyone remember Colt Brennan and the obscene passing records he had in college? Yeah, I do. Vince Young got shafted because he went to Jeff Fisher's system. Same thing with RG3. Coaching and system matters at the next level. Tannehill leaves the Dolphins and is flourishing in the Titans' system, he reminds me of Jake Plummer with his boot legs and spreading it around. 

Just like we drafted Darius Leonard in Round 2 because he was an outstanding fit for us, I expect Ballard and Frank to sit down and examine the QBs that are the best fit for us. That part of the draft evaluation, I trust them to get it right.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

4. Will need to see how he retains fluid running skills when he adds some needed weight to his frame. My comments: Russell Wilson was close to his weight when he was drafted but we all knew RW had some serious wheels, threw better on the run and was built stockier, yet he went in Round 3.

5. Lack of any real pressure in his face has formed some lazy tendencies with his footwork. My comments: this is something I noticed too because his competition wasn't producing the best pressure.

4. RW's concerns were all height related. The notion was that if he was a few inches taller, he would have been a top pick.

5. This was one of the first things I noticed as well. He could just stand up straight and flat-footed in a clean pocket. That won't happen in the NFL and I wonder how easily that lazy footwork could be cleaned up.

One thing is apparent with Gordon though; his release is lightning fast. He's got a lot of talent and if he can develop well, he could be really good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

4. RW's concerns were all height related. The notion was that if he was a few inches taller, he would have been a top pick.

5. This was one of the first things I noticed as well. He could just stand up straight and flat-footed in a clean pocket. That won't happen in the NFL and I wonder how easily that lazy footwork could be cleaned up.

One thing is apparent with Gordon though; his release is lightning fast. He's got a lot of talent and if he can develop well, he could be really good.

Yes, and he has several other good qualities as well.  Some of the time in the pocket reminded me of the time Tom Brady gets, every now and then, and when given that time, he was very good at throwing his guys open or leading them. 

The true question is, whether his one year starting experience will be held against him propelling him into Round 3 or will a team take a chance in Round 2? That is the main question in my mind at least.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yes, and he has several other good qualities as well. The true question is, whether his one year starting experience will be held against him propelling him into Round 3 or will a team take a chance in Round 2? That is the main question in my mind at least.

I feel like QB's are usually drafted earlier than they ideally should be, so I could see solid pre-draft activities propelling him into the 2nd. I think we'll have a better picture of this QB group after the Senior Bowl. Personally, I'm a Love fan, but I trust Ballard and Reich to pick the right guy. If that's Gordon, let's do it.

59 minutes ago, Shive said:

Actually, the way Gordon stands flat-footed and motionless in the pocket reminded me of Tom Brady. 

Obviously he'd have to work on footwork, but he stands there just like Brady does.

Mike Leach has been spitting out nearly identical QBs since Tim Couch.  I have no idea what Gordon, or Minshew in Jacksonville, will end up doing in the NFL long term.  But what can be absolutely proven is the names change but the stats, production, all remain the same.  Eerily.  Like they're a product of the system.  And not a one of them, ever, has sustained success at the NFL level.  Maybe Gordon will be different.  But I see no reason why anyone would believe that.  He does exactly what every other Air Raid QB has done in that offense since 1997.  I'd say that's a large enough sample size to reach some conclusions. 

https://www.footballperspective.com/is-gardner-minshew-already-the-best-mike-leach-quarterback-in-the-nfl/

50 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Actually, the way Gordon stands flat-footed and motionless in the pocket reminded me of Tom Brady. 

Obviously he'd have to work on footwork, but he stands there just like Brady does.

That makes two of us. :)  I just didn't want to come out and say it and it get misconstrued. Brady did learn to move around in the pocket as time went on without leaving it and being very good at it.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

We’ll see what Ballard and folks think. The more I see Mike Leach’s offense, the more I’m impressed with all the formations. I think that will serve Gordon well at the next level.

Minshew is the biggest reason fan and coach radars are on WSU. Now Mike Leach has gone to Mississippi if I’m not mistaken. I can see a team pulling the trigger on Gordon in Rounds 2 or 3 definitely. We’ll see if it’s the Colts.

Mississippi State (My alm mater) . Ole Miss hired Lane Kiffin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hey, this profile on this network that I respect, says to slow down with the hype of a 2nd rounder:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/anthony-gordon/CiSAc6JO6a

I get it, you are enamored with him and if he works out, you will be back here like so many armchair draft pundits, including me, one of whose spaghetti will eventually stick on the wall, whether it is Jordan Love or Justin Herbert or Anthony Gordon. 

Things that I saw in film that I agree with this profile:

1. One year starter

Yup that is the definite knock on him and it's something to be cautious of from a team point of view.  It's also why he won't go in the 1st round, IMO.  Vick is the only 1 year starter at QB I can think of that went in the 1st but he lead his team to an 11-1 record and was a "new type of talent" for the NFL.  Gordon is a pocket passer and with the success of guys like Watson and Jackson and to a lesser extent Mahomes, teams are going to be looking for that mobile QB.

2. He may very well be a product of the air raid system. He has far too many instances of ill advised throws in tight windows. 

His numbers and TDs are most definitely a project of the offensive system.  The instances of ill advised throws in tight windows is a product of being a 1st year starter, IMO.

3. Makes some pretty ambitious decisions, especially when boxed into the pocket. Needs to be willing to either throw ball away or take sacks to protect ball security and not play "hero" ball.

Again, an experience thing to me.

Wilson is definitely stockier, that 5" Gordon has does make a difference.  He is tall and lanky.  As far as the fluid running skills, I didn't see any fluidity in his running at all, so losing that by gaining some weight would not be a concern.

There were times when he has been able to just stand in the pocket.

I am sure I will not be the only one noticing these, just like we notice Jordan Love not taking checkdowns enough. Like I said before, all these rookie QBs need to go to a system where their HC will maximize their skills and correct their weaknesses because everyone will have their flaws. If you go and look back at Rodgers' and Brees' draft profiles, you will laugh, it is just that no one really knows till a few years later. Does anyone remember Colt Brennan and the obscene passing records he had in college? Yeah, I do. Vince Young got shafted because he went to Jeff Fisher's system. Same thing with RG3. Coaching and system matters at the next level. Tannehill leaves the Dolphins and is flourishing in the Titans' system, he reminds me of Jake Plummer with his boot legs and spreading it around. 

This is why I think Gordon will be a good fit for the Colts, his best passes and ball placement comes in that 8-18 yard range but then he's able to throw it deep when needed, which I think is what is needed in Reich's offense.

Just like we drafted Darius Leonard in Round 2 because he was an outstanding fit for us, I expect Ballard and Frank to sit down and examine the QBs that are the best fit for us. That part of the draft evaluation, I trust them to get it right.

Yup.

• Like 2