Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What about . . . (ducks) . . . Derek Carr?

Reportedly, Gruden is considering moving on from Derek Carr.

Carr is a 3x Pro Bowler.  He's 28 years old.  He's 8th in QBR this year behind only Jackson, Mahomes, Brees, Prescott, Stafford, Watson, and Wilson.

Pretty good company.  At worst, he would be an immediate upgrade over Brissett.  Perhaps he could flourish with a healthier franchise, allow the Colts to continue building their roster, and draft another QB without reaching or mortgaging the farm.

A statistical comparison with Luck (* denotes "leader"):

Games:

Carr (92)*

Luck (86)

Completions:

Carr (2,065)*

Luck (2,000)

Completion %:

Carr (63.8%)*

Luck (60.8%)

Passing Yards:

Carr (22,111)

Luck (23,671)*

Passing TDs:

Carr (141)

Luck (171)*

INTs:

Carr (62)*

Luck (83)

Yards per Attempt:

Carr (6.8)

Luck (7.2)*

QB Rating:

Carr (90.3)*

Luck (89.6)

Game-Winning Drives:

Carr (21)*

Luck (19)

For those who think that we have a SB contending roster right now, I would think that getting a highly competent vet like Carr would be a no brainer.  We won't be getting Luck or Manning in the draft so any rook would have to grow for probably two years.

If Gruden would take only our Redskins pick and maybe a mid rounder next year, I'd do it.  It would probably take more picks, but I would still consider it. We would assume his contract and/or resign him to a new deal.  We have the space.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Mind boggling on if the Raiders actually do move on from him.

Yes. The bird in hand will be more worth than one in the bush. Yes, they got him at the top of the 2nd and that is what it would take to get Derek Carr, the 34th pick.

I really like the idea. Think I read somewhere his contract averages out at 18mil a year for the next three seasons. We have the extra 2nd and the cap room. Carr has looked good this year with a very questionable skill group around him. He could be good here and we essentially wouldn’t have to start over or wait for a QB to develop. He’s only 28.

• Like 1

I’d be willing to give them our 3rd this year and maybe even our second this year depending on how badly you think the team would want Carr. I’d not give the early second and definitely not the first round pick for the QB. Would he be a glove fit for our offense will be the questions our team would have to ask. I don’t watch the raiders much unless they are playing us. I know he has a big arm, how is his progression reading of defenses? I feel like he is a pretty good QB so I’m not sure what’s the issue out in Oakland and the desire to rid themselves of him. Maybe he has had issues with personality of Gruden and that’s just at an impasse now. Idk, I’d definitely pursue him in a FA way if he hit the street. Maybe we could straight up trade for Brisket?

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would rather start the future with a guy we draft then another teams left overs. He would fit perfect though in Reichs offense. 

I kind of agree. If I had to choose between Carr or Brissett I would choose Carr but if I had to choose between Carr + giving up assets to get him or starting clean, I think I'd rather have the rookie QB+Jacoby as the bridge. 

• Like 1

I could see a trade working for both sides especially if JB goes to them as part of the trade along with a pick from us.  With JB gone there would be no controversy or a split locker room. To me that's huge.  Gruden would have a proven backup in JB and another pick to use to move up if he needs to.  We would hold onto our 1st which would give Ballard plenty of flexibility to even move back if he wants to and even draft a QB later in the draft.  I think this kind of trade would be a win win for both teams if Gruden is really serious about moving on.

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would rather start the future with a guy we draft then another teams left overs. He would fit perfect though in Reichs offense. 

If he fits perfectly then why would you want to get a new kid that needs seasoned? You never know what you get in a draft pick but you know exactly what you have in a 6 year vet. If it’s a seamless transfer into our system, I’d be in for sure. And if I felt he could get us to near Luck style of play, I’d be almost willing to give my earliest second round for him, maybe trade him for our first and they give us their second round or something like that. If that were the case, I’d have to be pretty dang sure that Carr was my future guy for the next 8 years though. 

24 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Would trade this years 3rd and a pick for next year for Carr. With the right weapons he’s top 10 qb

If Carr is a top 10 guy, he would make this team run well then and allow us to build up the defense too. That puts us into the model of a whole team approach and not trying to get that Peyton Manning like player at the helm. CB says he wants a complete team, hard to do that with a guy who you have to pay 35 million a yr to. Having a Carr like player under center would open up our run game a ton. Teams won’t stack the line or blitz every other down because of Carr’s fast release. He obviously has flaws or Gruden wouldn’t be looking to move always from him. Maybe Gruden thinks the losses are on him because it’s Gruden and his system makes winners idk. I’d certainly look into the possibilities though. 

38 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I Would agree if we had a higher pick. But with our pick being around 16-18 I don’t like the idea of having to trade multiple second rounders to get in position to take a QB in this draft. It’s early but I’m not completely sold on love, Herbert, etc. I like the Carr idea more if we can keep our first rounder. Immediate better QB play would vastly improve our team and I think Carr would provide that. He doesn’t need to be top 5 just top 12ish, which he’s shown capable of at times. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Gruden wants to move on so he has a young exciting new QB to start in Las Vegas.

Very possible reason. Is Carr much of a scrambler or can he just run enough to get out of the pass rush and maybe pick up a first down like Brady seems to do?

28 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If Carr is a top 10 guy, he would make this team run well then and allow us to build up the defense too. That puts us into the model of a whole team approach and not trying to get that Peyton Manning like player at the helm. CB says he wants a complete team, hard to do that with a guy who you have to pay 35 million a yr to. Having a Carr like player under center would open up our run game a ton. Teams won’t stack the line or blitz every other down because of Carr’s fast release. He obviously has flaws or Gruden wouldn’t be looking to move always from him. Maybe Gruden thinks the losses are on him because it’s Gruden and his system makes winners idk. I’d certainly look into the possibilities though. 

Like Carr only consist weapons are Josh Jacobs and Waller. Like here we have TY, Mack, Hines and Doyle. We will need to pick up another receiver or draft one regardless of the QB

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

A reality that some can’t get over, because of their desire for a 1st Rd WR or DT. 

Exactly why I say we need to wait until 2021 if we draft a QB. We have to fill these holes still, and getting Derrick Brown or someone of that caliber will do so much more for the team than a QB who we will reach for with that high of a pick. 

25 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Exactly why I say we need to wait until 2021 if we draft a QB. We have to fill these holes still, and getting Derrick Brown or someone of that caliber will do so much more for the team than a QB who we will reach for with that high of a pick. 

The thing is, if you wait until 2021 who knows where we’ll be picking and we’ll probably still have to mortgage high picks. Lawerence and fields might stay in school. So what then, wait until 2022? Building for the future in the nfl, should only be a 2-3 year plan. By the beginning of the third year, you better be competing or your looking for a new job. 

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

The thing is, if you wait until 2021 who knows where we’ll be picking and we’ll probably still have to mortgage high picks. Lawerence and fields might stay in school. So what then, wait until 2022? Building for the future in the nfl, should only be a 2-3 year plan. By the beginning of the third year, you better be competing or your looking for a new job. 

That’s the thing though. The thing about competing by year 3 is thrown out the window in this case because year 3 with this staff will be just year 2 of us having to totally change everything with our franchise QB retired. If it were a normal circumstance, sure, but this doesn’t happen very often in the league and these coaches shouldn’t be gone next year if we are barely missing the playoffs again because we have had to totally flip the script in two offseasons

48 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Are we trading up for Derrick Brown? Don’t think he makes it out of top 10. If we’re trading picks, it better be to move up and select a QB. But I do agree, we need other positions. That’s why the Carr idea is intriguing, because you’ll still probably get to keep our first round that could be used on Dline (Kinlaw) etc. 

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Like Carr only consist weapons are Josh Jacobs and Waller. Like here we have TY, Mack, Hines and Doyle. We will need to pick up another receiver or draft one regardless of the QB

You are forgetting Paris Campbell and then you have a promising Fountain off IR as well. Maybe neither pan out but can’t guarantee a draft pick pans out any more than going with what you have. In fact, Marcus Johnson gave us a flash of what he could do and it was a positive look in spite of JB throwing erratically all over the place as opposed to directly at the receiver. I still would be pushing for trenches first, we have to locate a DT that can disrupt the pocket and allow Turay and Houston to meet at the QB often while also protecting the run up the gut. CB is also a need based on the crappy scheme we seem to like. Idk.  

I just don’t feel like WR is as pressing of a need as the other positions but we all are going to have our own views of how to manage the roster and we are in the same boat. No say lol. 

have a merry Christmas 

1 hour ago, 07dleigh said:

I do like the idea of this, not going to lie. Especially with a QB guy like Frank. I think we could see the best of Carr. I like him better than any of the QB's in this draft not named Joe or Tua, and we're not getting Fields or Lawrence next next year.

We stay with JB and we may be in the hunt for those two QB’s next year. 

as for Reich being a WB “guy”, he hasn’t done much to improve JB over his tenure yet. Still the same as he was in 2017. And if anyone was labeled a QB guru it was Gruden. If he can’t get the best from Carr, I’m not sure it can be gotten which is why the talk of them moving on from Carr such weird talk. It seems it’s more personality clashing to me but I haven’t followed the mess in Raiders land at all. 

27 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You are forgetting Paris Campbell and then you have a promising Fountain off IR as well. Maybe neither pan out but can’t guarantee a draft pick pans out any more than going with what you have. In fact, Marcus Johnson gave us a flash of what he could do and it was a positive look in spite of JB throwing erratically all over the place as opposed to directly at the receiver. I still would be pushing for trenches first, we have to locate a DT that can disrupt the pocket and allow Turay and Houston to meet at the QB often while also protecting the run up the gut. CB is also a need based on the crappy scheme we seem to like. Idk.  

I just don’t feel like WR is as pressing of a need as the other positions but we all are going to have our own views of how to manage the roster and we are in the same boat. No say lol. 

have a merry Christmas 

Didn’t name Campbell because he hasn’t done anything special same with Fountain and the same with Johnson. 

1 hour ago, 07dleigh said:

I do like the idea of this, not going to lie. Especially with a QB guy like Frank. I think we could see the best of Carr. I like him better than any of the QB's in this draft not named Joe or Tua, and we're not getting Fields or Lawrence next next year.

Yes.  Carr is better than all of the rookie QBs, IMO. 

If it only took pick #34 to get him, its such an easy decision.  He's 28 and costs less than $20 mil per year.  We then have our entire draft intact. Draft our Nelson for the Dline and our team will contend for the division right away and beyond.   Draft skill players after that and Carr will look even better.

We'd be in a position to draft a young QB in the following years whenever the talent and our draft position align, instead of having to reach for one this year who might not be that great.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Didn’t name Campbell because he hasn’t done anything special same with Fountain and the same with Johnson. 

I get that but Campbell at the very least was supposed to be one of those talented players and had he been in This coming draft, he would likely be also in the talking points to grab as a wide receiver. My point being, JB has made even TY look like crap so I’m willing to see if having anyone else but JB throwing to the guys we have, will they then be capable of showing their good qualities? JB just didn’t help anyone, including himself. 

Accuracy and completion percentage with an ability to stretch the field with accuracy, Carr has all of those. Where he gets into trouble is when he has to do it all by himself and when he is pressured, he throws it away or gets sacked. He still does not turn it over much. He has touch on all of his underneath throws and won't throw rockets underneath unless necessary.

Gruden would be a fool to trade away Carr, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Carr would be a great fit in Reichs short quick hitting offense. Just thinking how he carves us up when we played them. That is Reichs offense. 

EXACTLY

We dont need Mohomes to win the SB....... but we need better than a "game manager"

Any of the QBs that we take at 15, are a HUGE risk

Most QBs just dont work out, Carr is actually LESS risk

A big what if.....Carr for a 4th

We use our third on Anthony Gordon

We use our first 3 picks on 

WR, DL, OL

Im a happy camper  :)

• Like 2

The only issue is bringing a FA QB is a huge risk if he would fit and gain trust in the locker room. It’s easier to mold a rookie into the locker room. Although there is no character concerns or anything with Carr but would the guys accept him. Mike Chappell actually mentioned on the radio today Carr would be a guy Reich would love to have.