Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4th quarter woes.

Trace Pyott

I know a lot has already been said about JB’s woes in the 4th quarter  I was wondering what most of you guys thought this stems from?  Is it play calling or just JB getting rattled? 

I may be wrong but I think it’s a JB problem. If anyone remembers the year luck missed half the year, I believe we led the league in leads going into the 4th quarter. I used to put the blame squarely on Pagano and his predictable play calling, but now I’m not so sure.  I think some of it’s was pags,  but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both coaches are having trouble with the 4th quarter and the main common denominator is JB. 

If it is JB, what is his problem and is it fixable?  Are teams blitzing more later In the game when the tension is at its highest?   

2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I know a lot has already been said about JB’s woes in the 4th quarter  I was wondering what most of you guys thought this stems from?  Is it play calling or just JB getting rattled? 

I may be wrong but I think it’s a JB problem. If anyone remembers the year luck missed half the year, I believe we led the league in leads going into the 4th quarter. I used to put the blame squarely on Pagano and his predictable play calling, but now I’m not so sure.  I think some of it’s was pags,  but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both coaches are having trouble with the 4th quarter and the main common denominator is JB. 

If it is JB, what is his problem and is it fixable?  Are teams blitzing more later In the game when the tension is at its highest?   

interesting point, I'd not given that any thought before but I think you're right. Could it be his pre-snap reads or maybe he just doesn't have that closer gene. I really dont know.

To put some numbers to it. in 2017, we had 9 games where we had 4th quarter leads going in that we lost.  This year 6 so far. 

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/the-unbelievable-story-of-the-2017-colts/

You are absolutely correct. I said as much in another thread. I just don't understand, they know what they have in JB. Decent back up / useless started. Try something different even if its not the answer. You got to try because doing the same gets you the same results. If you don't try you will never know.

There is a lot that goes into it. Yes Jacoby is part of it. Reich tends to go into a shell in the 4th and gets to conservative. We haven’t been able to run the ball in the 4th quarter with leads. That all leads up to bad 4th quarters. Maybe we finally just let it fly with the playoffs being out of the picture. You also need playmakers in the 4th quarter. Missing TY has killed us.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Was it JB that missed several game winning fg's in the final minutes this year?

how many passes has he thrown badly prior to the field goal there’s a reason we settle for field goals when there’s plenty of time left  to not need vinny

7 hours ago, lincolndefan said:

You are absolutely correct. I said as much in another thread. I just don't understand, they know what they have in JB. Decent back up / useless started. Try something different even if its not the answer. You got to try because doing the same gets you the same results. If you don't try you will never know.

I dont personally think JB is the answer but once you bench him there's really no coming back. If the Colts bench him for Kelly, JB is basically done in Indy. Not saying thats good or bad but I dont see Ballard/Reich cutting their future options off now when they could essentially do the same thing in training camp next year by saying its an open competition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I dont personally think JB is the answer but once you bench him there's really no coming back. If the Colts bench him for Kelly, JB is basically done in Indy. Not saying thats good or bad but I dont see Ballard/Reich cutting their future options off now when they could essentially do the same thing in training camp next year by saying its an open competition. 

Agreed. Only way I see chad Kelly playing meaningful minutes would be if the Colts decide that “JB needs more time to heal on his knee. “

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, another bash Brissett thread. 

This is getting old. 

I didn’t create this thread to bash him. I was asking the question what are the reason for our 4th quarter woes?  Is it on the Qb shoulders or the coaches. Why do people care about what threads people make on here anyways?  As long as it pertains to the colts I don’t see the problem. Some people act like they have to manually file every single thread on here in a huge filing cabinet or something. If you don’t like the thread title or subject how about this.....don’t enter. Seriously what is the harm even if there are 20 threads about our Qb problem??  What you had to take an extra 3 seconds to scroll down?  I can’t stand when people on here try and tell people they can’t talk about this or that. It’s literally why this site was made lol.  Rant over. 

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I didn’t create this thread to bash him. I was asking the question what are the reason for our 4th quarter woes?  Is it on the Qb shoulders or the coaches. Why do people care about what threads people make on here anyways?  As long as it pertains to the colts I don’t see the problem. Some people act like they have to manually file every single thread on here in a huge filing cabinet or something. If you don’t like the thread title or subject how about this.....don’t enter. Seriously what is the harm even if there are 20 threads about our Qb problem??  What you had to take an extra 3 seconds to scroll down?  I can’t stand when people on here try and tell people they can’t talk about this or that. It’s literally why this site was made lol.  Rant over. 

No one told you to talk or not talk about anything.

You say it wasn't a bash Brissett thread but that is all you harped on about during your whole comment. 

Dude, u call this bashing?  I barely said anything about the guy and merely asked the question if it was him or coaching. How is that bashing?  And by you complaining that this thread was started you basically said that this thread is unwelcome. Am I losing my mind here people or what??  Again im not sure it’s brissett that’s why I’m asking. There is anecdotal evidence it could be him but I’m not so sure. It could be other teams are dialing more pressure near the end of the games or we are running too much and getting stuffed to keep the clock running. I’m not trying to argue here I’m just basically defending what I wrote. 

It’s all good crazy coLt we are both colts fans and rooting for the same team. I don’t wanna argue with a colts fan. I will save it for a pats fan or Texans fan. I just wanted to defend why I was saying what I was saying. It hits a nerve to me when people criticize other people’s colts related threads no matter how monotonous it’s become, even if that’s not how you meant it.  Have a merry Christmas   

Brissett is a bad QB. He takes too long to throw the ball because he's scared to make a mistake. Won't throw deep. Won't scramble. Poor field vision. Makes an elite O-Line average at pass-blocking. Has regressed since teams have tape on him. Has trouble putting up any sort of yards or points unless we run for 100+ yards per game. Can't carry the team or lead it to victory. He's easily replaceable. Potential all but gone. He's done like dinner. Not even fun to watch.

I don't care who we draft at QB, anything is better than what we currently have. At least a new QB will have potential and a new skillset. There will be some hope. We're in a horrible spot right now, and another year of Brissett would drop attendance faster than a skydiver from an airplane. I certainly can't go through another year of this.

You at least have to give the illusion of hope to draw me in. A new QB does that. With Brissett, there is none.

• Like 1

Luck always played good in the 4th quarter when we were down. Defenses would play prevent to stop the big play and he would pick them apart. When you are ahead in the 4h quarter defenses tighten down to get a stop. JB andColts  have had the lead Quite a bit this year. This is where we  need playmakers to get us critical 1 st downs in the 4h quarter. Either Frank thinks our running game should be able to do that or JB is not seeing open receivers that Frank dials up. IDK. 

On 12/12/2019 at 5:07 AM, Trace Pyott said:

He does not have a killer Instinct. Luck did which is why Andrew really excelled in clutch situations. Jacoby is too busy mentally processing what he sees to pull the trigger. Luck had sort of a Manning-Esque wrinkle to his game. Where his pre-snap reads he likely already knew what coverages you were in and where he already wanted to go with the ball.