Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard was at the Utah State game tonight (watching Jordan Love)

The reason you won't have to trade up for Love is because Burrow, Tua, and Herbert are locks to go ahead of him, with potentially Eason, Fromm, and Hurts as well. We are likely picking in the teens, he will be available in all likelihood. 

When you scout Love, it's better to look at his Sophomore year film. He had an entirely different coaching staff and roster then, one that's been depleted for this year. The talent that Love will have around him in the NFL will be night and day to what he has this year at Utah State. He's having to essentially carry the team, and if you look at guys that come from smaller schools like South Dakota State (Wentz), Delaware (Flacco), Miami Ohio (Big Ben), or Wyoming (Josh Allen) you see similar situational issues. They are NFL players surrounded by future grocery store employees, and the talent discrepancy shows. In his Soph year, the talent gap wasn't overwhelming, and he made the situation look incredible, this season he has literally nothing around him, literally none of those guys will get drafted. You can't put a Lamborghini engine in a Ford Taurus body and expect everything to run smoothly, there are variables. 

I think if you put Love on the Colts team, get another WR Day 2, and a TE in the middle rounds, and potentially let him sit the 2020 season, by the time 2021 rolls around we'd be in a really solid place. 

3 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The reason you won't have to trade up for Love is because Burrow, Tua, and Herbert are locks to go ahead of him, with potentially Eason, Fromm, and Hurts as well. We are likely picking in the teens, he will be available in all likelihood. 

When you scout Love, it's better to look at his Sophomore year film. He had an entirely different coaching staff and roster then, one that's been depleted for this year. The talent that Love will have around him in the NFL will be night and day to what he has this year at Utah State. He's having to essentially carry the team, and if you look at guys that come from smaller schools like South Dakota State (Wentz), Delaware (Flacco), Miami Ohio (Big Ben), or Wyoming (Josh Allen) you see similar situational issues. They are NFL players surrounded by future grocery store employees, and the talent discrepancy shows. In his Soph year, the talent gap wasn't overwhelming, and he made the situation look incredible, this season he has literally nothing around him, literally none of those guys will get drafted. You can't put a Lamborghini engine in a Ford Taurus body and expect everything to run smoothly, there are variables. 

I think if you put Love on the Colts team, get another WR Day 2, and a TE in the middle rounds, and potentially let him sit the 2020 season, by the time 2021 rolls around we'd be in a really solid place. 

Today what you said makes sense about Love being available in the teens.  But a lot could change at the combine and individual workouts.  There are always surprises on draft day.  The Giants taking Daniels last year is a good example.  There are many teams that could use a developmental QB.  Including the Patriots.  If there is a QB we really like above all the others I would expect Ballard to try and move up and get him similar to what he did with Willis last year.  Considering our draft ammunition it makes no sense to stand pat and take a chance he falls to us.  The position is just too important to do that.  If it turns out QB is our No1 need then I'm expecting Ballard to make sure he gets the guy he wants in the 1st. Rd. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Today what you said makes sense about Love being available in the teens.  But a lot could change at the combine and individual workouts.  There are always surprises on draft day.  The Giants taking Daniels last year is a good example.  There are many teams that could use a developmental QB.  Including the Patriots.  If there is a QB we really like above all the others I would expect Ballard to try and move up and get him similar to what he did with Willis last year.  Considering our draft ammunition it makes no sense to stand pat and take a chance he falls to us.  The position is just too important to do that.  If it turns out QB is our No1 need then I'm expecting Ballard to make sure he gets the guy he wants in the 1st. Rd. 

There are a lot of teams who could be in the market for a guy with great skills and traits....and ACCURACY (which can't be taught really)....who would see our need and trade up ahead of us.  Especially that a 5th year option comes with a 1st round pick, which helps a developmental QB situation.

I agree, I don't think you hope the guy you want falls to you.  If Love is the guy, I think we trade up as far as one of the second rounders gets us.  I'd be surprised, however, if we felt the need to have to trade both.  Other teams potentially trading ahead of us won't have a pick as high as one of our seconds, AFAIK, so we should be the chosen partner, IMO.

If Ballard can trade up for Lewis, he should be able to trade up for a QB...LOL.

• Like 1

This won't be a popular opinion and I would absolutely understand the disagreement but there is a very real possibility when it's all said and done I will have Love as my QB2 in this draft. Right now I'm leaning this way. It won't be because of what he is now(not QB2), but of what I expect him to be with good coaching in a couple of years. Just the traits are very high level and I don't think he's even scratched the surface yet. This will be a bet on Reich and the coaching staff as much as a bet on Love himself.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

This won't be a popular opinion and I would absolutely understand the disagreement but there is a very real possibility when it's all said and done I will have Love as my QB2 in this draft. Right now I'm leaning this way. It won't be because of what he is now(not QB2), but of what I expect him to be with good coaching in a couple of years. Just the traits are very high level and I don't think he's even scratched the surface yet. This will be a bet on Reich and the coaching staff as much as a bet on Love himself.  

Nothing surprises come draft day most of the time.

With a lot of teams hurting for a QB, I wouldn’t be surprised J. Love potentially going top 10.

The only thing that would surprise me in the 2020 draft, is the Colts not going QB in Rd 1. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree. I don't like Herbert or Eason at all, I think they have Bortles written all over them, total busts. It's either Tua falls far enough for Ballard to make a move, or he gets Love imo. 

I actually wouldn't mind having Jalen Hurts, I feel like he could be a Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson lite in the NFL. I think his floor is a Dak Prescott type player, he's having a really impressive season at Oklahoma, and he has improved every year. I think with the right coaching, and a team to build around him, he could be good/great. 

I'd say realistically (guys we could actually get):

1) Tua

2) Love

3) Hurts

12 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I agree. I don't like Herbert or Eason at all, I think they have Bortles written all over them, total busts. It's either Tua falls far enough for Ballard to make a move, or he gets Love imo. 

I actually wouldn't mind having Jalen Hurts, I feel like he could be a Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson lite in the NFL. I think his floor is a Dak Prescott type player, he's having a really impressive season at Oklahoma, and he has improved every year. I think with the right coaching, and a team to build around him, he could be good/great. 

I'd say realistically (guys we could actually get):

1) Tua

2) Love

3) Hurts

Disagree on Hurts and on Herbert. I still like Herbert a lot and wouldn't mind drafting him... but there is something about him... I cannot quite put my finger on it that bothers me. He looks a bit passive/conservative to me. He doesn't use his tools to the full extent of his abilities. It's a bit weird because Love and Herbert are often put in the same bucket as the big-arm, playmakers of the draft, but they are kind of on the opposite side of their aggression tendencies - Love is raw and wild both in positive and negative ways... he's like a wild stallion just slinging it out there without regard for consequences and Herbert is more polished and this year has been very deliberate and somewhat too conservative with his throws. I've watched most of his games this year and I cannot really think of many long passes he's completed. 

About Hurts - Oklahoma is running on over 60% of their snaps. This is insane. This is Ravens-like. I don't trust Hurts as a pocket passer, I actually think he has some of the same problems that Brissett has in the pocket (slow to process, not great anticipation, dropping his eyes when leaving the pocket, etc). IMO if you draft him you need to go full Ravens mode with the run game, but I don't think he's as good and elusive of a runner as Lamar and he takes some brutal hits on his runs. I don't think he can survive for long playing like this with even bigger and faster defenders in the NFL. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

Disagree on Hurts and on Herbert. I still like Herbert a lot and wouldn't mind drafting him... but there is something about him... I cannot quite put my finger on it that bothers me. He looks a bit passive/conservative to me. He doesn't use his tools to the full extent of his abilities. It's a bit weird because Love and Herbert are often put in the same bucket as the big-arm, playmakers of the draft, but they are kind of on the opposite side of their aggression tendencies - Love is raw and wild both in positive and negative ways... he's like a wild stallion just slinging it out there without regard for consequences and Herbert is more polished and this year has been very deliberate and somewhat too conservative with his throws. I've watched most of his games this year and I cannot really think of many long passes he's completed. 

About Hurts - Oklahoma is running on over 60% of their snaps. This is insane. This is Ravens-like. I don't trust Hurts as a pocket passer, I actually think he has some of the same problems that Brissett has in the pocket (slow to process, not great anticipation, dropping his eyes when leaving the pocket, etc). IMO if you draft him you need to go full Ravens mode with the run game, but I don't think he's as good and elusive of a runner as Lamar and he takes some brutal hits on his runs. I don't think he can survive for long playing like this with even bigger and faster defenders in the NFL. 

I think Herbert is close to his ceiling, he looked the same this year as he did last year, in fact like you noted he looks more timid. I was huge on Herbert coming into this season, but it seems like he's not assertive enough or something? Like he lacks that killer instinct, and I'm not sure an introverted guy like that will ever be a "killer" in the NFL. He has the tools, on some of his throws I get Rodgers vibes like "How tf did he make that throw?" but he seems less inclined to pull the trigger this year, which is strange seeing that his line is excellent, he has great weapons even after Breeland went down.

Idk, I'm a novice in the scouting department, all I can do is put my faith in the powers that be, and hope they make the right calls. They will be way more informed than I will, that's for sure. Whoever they go with, if they even do go that route, I'm onboard with it. A lot of guys on this board rip Ballard's decision making, or drafting prowess, which is comical imo, but the dude has done really well. We have the extra pick in a loaded draft because of him, and we will either need it to move up and get our guy, or to potentially add another playmaker...either way, it was a great decision then, and a it still is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I think Herbert is close to his ceiling, he looked the same this year as he did last year, in fact like you noted he looks more timid. I was huge on Herbert coming into this season, but it seems like he's not assertive enough or something? Like he lacks that killer instinct, and I'm not sure an introverted guy like that will ever be a "killer" in the NFL. He has the tools, on some of his throws I get Rodgers vibes like "How tf did he make that throw?" but he seems less inclined to pull the trigger this year, which is strange seeing that his line is excellent, he has great weapons even after Breeland went down.

Idk, I'm a novice in the scouting department, all I can do is put my faith in the powers that be, and hope they make the right calls. They will be way more informed than I will, that's for sure. Whoever they go with, if they even do go that route, I'm onboard with it. A lot of guys on this board rip Ballard's decision making, or drafting prowess, which is comical imo, but the dude has done really well. We have the extra pick in a loaded draft because of him, and we will either need it to move up and get our guy, or to potentially add another playmaker...either way, it was a great decision then, and a it still is. 

Same here... pretty green with watching film and 'scouting' if you can even call what I do scouting. Still learning about what it takes for different positions and what is important and what is not, what is translatable from college to the NFL and what is not, etc. I do this for fun and for engagement with other fans and I have no illusions that I will be great with my evaluations. Certainly nowhere near what Ballard and his staff and real scouts are capable of in regards to understanding the game and players. 

About Herbert's weapons - I kind of disagree that he has good weapons... He has better weapons than what Love is working with, but none of his receivers are anywhere close to what Burrow, Tua, Hurts are working with. Those teams all have multiple receivers better than the best Oregon receiver... I don't even know who it is. Juwan Johnson is a huge receiver that to me looks more like a TE. He was at Penn state last year and I wasn't impressed. Johnny Johnson is kind of interesting, but I'm not certain if he will even get drafted. 

20 hours ago, stitches said:

Haha...you don't happen to write for the the draft network, do you...because that is an excellent description.

I agree re: Hurts. I am intrigued...but I would rather not go that route. Now if you said the Colts could get him in the 2nd round...get a legit WR1 in the 1st round...a high-end TE prospect in the 3rd round...AND get Hunter Henry in FA...I might be more open to it. Because that's basically what was able to do.

22 hours ago, stitches said:

After watching Love, I think he has is very accurate.  For intermediate and long routes (which is JBs shortcomings) he seems to loft the ball a lot on the intermediate and deep passes.  Its great for NFL corner routes and redzone fades, but too casual for deep crossing or post routes where there will be an NFL DB.  Haven't seen him throw a lot of darts for deep outs, comebacks, and hooks.  He's fast enough to run the stretch running play and get to the corner on the RPO, but he's not real elusive or powerful.  Good elusiveness, but not great.

Someone referenced an Alex Smith comparison dink and dunk but with more desire to go down field (with balls he might loft).

I think he would fit well into Reich's offense, just as well as JB did in the first half of the year when JB was accurate on the short throws.   Like JB, I'm not sure about the long game.  It worked against those college defenses, not sure he has the zip for a lot of NFL throws.  Something defenses can game plan for. 

But I've only watched a couple of games. There may be better examples of him throwing more darts in the intermediate game.

16 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Haha...you don't happen to write for the the draft network, do you...because that is an excellent description.

Nope. I don't write for any outlet. Most of everything I write ends up here :) 

But I do listen to some of their podcasts... 

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

After watching Love, I think he has is very accurate.  But I'm not sure there is a whole lot else that's great.  He seems to loft the ball a lot on the intermediate and deep passes.  Its great for NFL corner routes and redzone fades, but too casual for deep crossing or post routes where there will be an NFL DB.  Haven't seen him throw a lot of darts for deep outs, comebacks, and hooks.  He's fast enough to run the stretch running play and get to the corner on the RPO, but he's not real elusive or powerful.  Good elusiveness, but not great.

Someone referenced an Alex Smith comparison dink and dunk but with more desire to go down field (with balls he might loft).

I think he would fit well into Reich's offense, just as well as JB did in the first half of the year when JB was accurate on the short throws.   Like JB, I'm not sure about the long game.  It worked against those college defenses, not sure he has the zip for a lot of NFL throws.  Something defenses can game plan for. 

But I've only watched a couple of games. There may be better examples of him throwing more darts in the intermediate game.

Watch his sophomore year film, the skillset of that team is much closer to what he will be working with on an NFL roster. With these small school guys, you have to project a LOT being that the talent discrepancy from Utah State to the Colts would be night and day. Much like scouts did with Josh Allen, Carson Wentz, Flacco, Roethlisberger, etc. 

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Watch his sophomore year film, the skillset of that team is much closer to what he will be working with on an NFL roster. With these small school guys, you have to project a LOT being that the talent discrepancy from Utah State to the Colts would be night and day. Much like scouts did with Josh Allen, Carson Wentz, Flacco, Roethlisberger, etc. 

Okay.  My only real potentially uncorrectable concern with him is velocity for the intermediate and long game.  Even when healthy, Peyton Manning wasn't known for having great velocity and I'm not sure based upon what I saw that Love has even as much, or maybe the same, as PM.  It might result in the ball being in the air a long time.   I think all of the QBs you mentioned are bigger body types with more velocity.  

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

After watching Love, I think he has is very accurate.  But I'm not sure there is a whole lot else that's great.  He seems to loft the ball a lot on the intermediate and deep passes.  Its great for NFL corner routes and redzone fades, but too casual for deep crossing or post routes where there will be an NFL DB.  Haven't seen him throw a lot of darts for deep outs, comebacks, and hooks.  He's fast enough to run the stretch running play and get to the corner on the RPO, but he's not real elusive or powerful.  Good elusiveness, but not great.

I think he would fit well into Reich's offense, just as well as JB did in the first half of the year when JB was accurate on the short throws.   Like JB, I'm not sure about the long game.  It worked against those college defenses, not sure he has the zip for a lot of NFL throws.  Something defenses can game plan for.   But I've only watched a couple of games. 

There may be better examples of him throwing more darts in the intermediate game.

I fundamentally disagree with the Alex Smith comparison. His playstyle is much more risky and he throws downfield a lot more. And I disagree that he doesn't throw darts. He absolutely does. It's possible you caught a weird game or two of his. He has high end playmaking traits. NFL executives are reportedly comparing him to Mahomes and I absolutely see that comparison. He does put touch on some of his throws. IMO sometimes he does it when he doesn't have to (which gives defenders a chance to contest), but I also appreciate the touch coming from a player who is known mostly as a gunslinger. For example... he's nothing like Brissett in that regard. He absolutely can throw the ball with 65miles an hour, but he doesn't always do it. (I posted a video analysis of him either in this thread or in the other one that you can check out where he sends a bullet through multiple defenders and fits it perfectly to his target about 15 yards into the endzone). He has pretty much all of the throws Mahomes does have. I've seen him side arm throw it, I've seen him throw it 60 yards in the air on the move, I've seen him throw TD bulls eye throwing across his body 40 yards downfield(I've posted some of those videos in other threads here), he pretty much has one throw on a comeback route to the sideline on the move that requires high end arm talent almost every game.  

I think he has pretty good pocket presence and movement in the pocket. He doesn't really leave the pocket in order to run(he's not Wilson or Lamar), but he can run a bit. IMO he's more like Mahomes or Luck or Wentz when it comes to his playmaking outside of pocket - when he leaves the pocket he does it to make throws, not to run... but similar to all those, if the throw is not there he can get you the yards that the defense gives him on the run. I agree his elusiveness is not elite... but I do think his pretty good elusiveness combined with his ability to make throws off platform is good enough to make him a high end playmaking threat. 

With all that said... I think he's wild and inconsistent right now. He is forcing a lot of things and his decisionmaking needs work. He has a ton of "wth were you thinking" throws where he doesn't see a dropping defender or misdiagnoses a coverage. He's more of a thrower than a QB right now IMO. He can make all the throws, but he doesn't always pick the right throw to make. I agree with you that his accuracy is relatively good. He looks a lot to the sideline for directions too, he will need to learn to handle the offense himself a bit too. He needs work and development. I get why people are skeptical of him, but I just think his high end traits are worth it and if we believe in Frank's ability to develop a QB, then we should absolutely bet on him if he declares. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I fundamentally disagree with the Alex Smith comparison. His playstyle is much more risky and he throws downfield a lot more. And I disagree that he doesn't throw darts. He absolutely does. It's possible you caught a weird game or two of his. He has high end playmaking traits. NFL executives are reportedly comparing him to Mahomes and I absolutely see that comparison. He does put touch on some of his throws. IMO sometimes he does it when he doesn't have to (which gives defenders a chance to contest), but I also appreciate the touch coming from a player who is known mostly as a gunslinger. For example... he's nothing like Brissett in that regard. He absolutely can throw the ball with 65miles an hour, but he doesn't always do it. (I posted a video analysis of him either in this thread or in the other one that you can check out where he sends a bullet through multiple defenders and fits it perfectly to his target about 15 yards into the endzone). He has pretty much all of the throws Mahomes does have. I've seen him side arm throw it, I've seen him throw it 60 yards in the air on the move, I've seen him throw TD bulls eye throwing across his body 40 yards downfield(I've posted some of those videos in other threads here), he pretty much has one throw on a comeback route to the sideline on the move that requires high end arm talent almost every game.  

I think he has pretty good pocket presence and movement in the pocket. He doesn't really leave the pocket in order to run(he's not Wilson or Lamar), but he can run a bit. IMO he's more like Mahomes or Luck or Wentz when it comes to his playmaking outside of pocket - when he leaves the pocket he does it to make throws, not to run... but similar to all those, if the throw is not there he can get you the yards that the defense gives him on the run. 

With all that said... I think he's wild and inconsistent right now. He is forcing a lot of things and his decisionmaking needs work. He has a ton of "wth were you thinking" throws where he doesn't see a dropping defender or misdiagnoses a coverage. He's more of a thrower than a QB right now IMO. He can make all the throws, but he doesn't always pick the right throw to make. I agree with you that his accuracy is relatively good. He looks a lot to the sideline for directions too, he will need to learn to handle the offense himself a bit too. He needs work and development. I get why people are skeptical of him, but I just think his high end traits are worth it and if we believe in Frank's ability to develop a QB, then we should absolutely bet on him if he declares. 

Just saying that I didn't see a lot of deep outs, posts, or hooks where you want the trajectory to be rather flat with a tight spiral.  Stuff that Luck used to throw.  I saw zip and flatness in throws less than 15 yards from the LOS, but didn't get a chance to see him make many of those longer throws that Luck used to convert and that we criticize JB for not trying.

He's certainly mobile on the roll out, when the space in front of him is open.  Didn't see the elusiveness to create his own space like a Wilson or a Mahomes does.  

I would assume Ballard is watching him because he is a lot like Alex Smith, and Wentz, (and why he traded for JB).  A short-gamer with some long ball skills, IOW, a good fit for Reich's O.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Okay.  My only real potentially uncorrectable concern with him is velocity for the intermediate and long game.  Even when healthy, Peyton Manning wasn't known for having great velocity and I'm not sure based upon what I saw that Love has even as much, or maybe the same, as PM.  It might result in the ball being in the air a long time.   I think all of the QBs you mentioned are bigger body types with more velocity.  

Yeah, I mentioned those guys as small school guys, not really direct comps. 

They had like 2 returning starters this year, it's a miracle he's done what he has honestly, not to mention the turnover on the coaching staff. The sophomore year film is a much more clear indicator of what you're getting with Jordan Love, and had he been eligible and declared after last year, I'm assuming he would have went top-half of the 1st, probably to either the Giants or Skins. 

The guy's main comp is Mahomes, so idk why you day that he doesn't have the arm strength or zip on his throws. He isn't on Mahomes level imo, but who is? He makes incredible throws on the move, and has really solid accuracy, it's the footwork that needs work, just like it was with Pat Mahomes coming from Texas Tech. If he is there when we pick in the 1st idk how Ballard doesn't pull the trigger, because 1)It would be great value 2) We could let him sit a year and refine his skills 3) Ballard has had his eye on him for years. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just saying that I didn't see a lot of deep outs, posts, or hooks where you want the trajectory to be rather flat with a tight spiral.  Stuff that Luck used to throw.  I saw zip and flatness in throws less than 15 yards from the LOS, but didn't get a chance to see him make many of those longer throws that Luck used to convert and that we criticize JB for not trying.

He's certainly mobile on the roll out, when the space in front of him is open.  Didn't see the elusiveness to create his own space like a Wilson or a Mahomes does.  

I would assume Ballard is watching him because he is a lot like Alex Smith, and Wentz, (and why he traded for JB).  A good fit for Reich's O.

Watch the sophomore year highlights. 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Something like this?

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, I mentioned those guys as small school guys, not really direct comps. 

They had like 2 returning starters this year, it's a miracle he's done what he has honestly, not to mention the turnover on the coaching staff. The sophomore year film is a much more clear indicator of what you're getting with Jordan Love, and had he been eligible and declared after last year, I'm assuming he would have went top-half of the 1st, probably to either the Giants or Skins. 

The guy's main comp is Mahomes, so idk why you day that he doesn't have the arm strength or zip on his throws. He isn't on Mahomes level imo, but who is? He makes incredible throws on the move, and has really solid accuracy, it's the footwork that needs work, just like it was with Pat Mahomes coming from Texas Tech. If he is there when we pick in the 1st idk how Ballard doesn't pull the trigger, because 1)It would be great value 2) We could let him sit a year and refine his skills 3) Ballard has had his eye on him for years. 

Watch the sophomore year highlights. 

Direct comparisons are kind of hard.

What I notice about Mahomes, and why he is special, is his ability to create his own open space when the pocket collapses.  He's also able to keep his eyes on the WR and defense and anticipate where the open space down the field will be and where the receiver is headed.

The reason that I didn't see the Love comparison is because most of the rollouts I saw were designed plays where there is already open space in front of him that he runs too.  Yes, he can make good throws on those plays.  

I just think of Mahomes specialty to be sandlot play conversions.  I don't see that from a lot of college QBs.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Something like this?

First one yes. 

The second showed the loft.  He had to because he had to put it over the defenders head.  I'm saying I just saw a lot of those throws where he needed loft and not so many plays like the first one.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

First one yes. 

The second showed the loft.  He had to because he had to put it over the defenders head.  I'm saying I just saw a lot of those throws where he needed loft and not so many plays like the first one.

It's generally the opposite with guys coming in, they can't put the touch on the throws and just rifle everything in. Jacoby Brissett was, and still is in large part, like that. When I look at Love, I see a great balance of touch, zip, and accuracy. Plus, he had 7 rushing TDs last year, the kid reminds me of Dak Prescott, being that he has a nose for the endzone when they're close, except Love throws passes that Dak only dreams about. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

First one yes. 

Yeah, he can make those... there are several of those in this video that @SouthernIndianaNDFan posted, but when the guy obviously has the armstrength to do it, to me it's more impressive that he can also put a touch on the ball too, rather than rifle everything with max velocity on every throw like Brissett does... 

7 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This is a good one, you can easily see the Mahomesness. 

28 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This is a good one, you can easily see the Mahomesness. 

Well, I'm not going to argue.  We just see it differently.  I saw very accurate throws to receivers who were pretty open, and that's good.  I didn't see a lot of long completions made because of velocity, where the ball had to get there before the closing-in Safety does.  That's the NFL stuff.  That's the Luck stuff.  I realize small school college isn't the NFL and the play designing and calling is different. 

On the mobile stuff, I saw designed movement, not so much the broken play escapability then conversion that I often see with Mahomes.   I'm not sure what Love's escapability skills are other than speed.  He didn't have much opportunities to display agility or strength.

What I see is a more mobile JB, and one that attempts more downfield throws and completes them with accuracy. And that's an improvement. I don't see many plays where he had to make progressions.  These are probably highlights, so the splash plays usually involve a wide open receiver on his first read, or an accurate pass to a covered receiver in the end zone.  Good stuff. 

I'm not making any assertions about draft or not, or where.  Ballard's decision will be a good one, IMO.  IMO, if he's drafted, its because Love is more like JB and not less like him, with improved down field play.  Reich has an offense and the QB skills and traits have to fit that.  

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It will be just the colts luck that a team like the pats trade up and take him right before the colts or trade up before the colts get the opportunity to trade up. So many teams need QB. 

The smart teams will be the ones that pass this year, suck next year, then land Fields and Lawrence in 21. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It will be just the colts luck that a team like the pats trade up and take him right before the colts or trade up before the colts get the opportunity to trade up. So many teams need QB. 

Pats have Jarrett Stidham, he displayed excellent accuracy in pre-season, and they do develop QBs well. He was a 4th round pick. He never truly got to play in a Pro offense in Auburn, he is probably their future QB, IMO.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Pats have Jarrett Stidham, he displayed excellent accuracy in pre-season, and they do develop QBs well. He was a 4th round pick. He never truly got to play in a Pro offense in Auburn, he is probably their future QB, IMO.

Yeah I guess.  Just thinking they might think there is someone better in this draft.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You know what’s crazy. Looking at Miami’s schedule we could end up with a higher draft pick. Lol. I doubt that’s happens but that would be crazy.

Not really.

We'd have to lose all 4 games, they'd have to win 3 of 4.

Not happening.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, stitches said:

That’s not even a hot take tbh. His touch is unreal. Especially on the deep throws. Some of the throws he makes are absolutely ridiculous. In the NFL you have to be able to make those small window throws and Love can make them all. I think he’s better than Haskins and Jones we’re coming out last year. You put him under Reich and in a year or two he’ll be special. 

You want a hot take? Right now here in December, I’m saying that Love is indeed Ballard’s guy and unless someone jumps us, I expect him to be the target for us in round 1.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s not even a hot take tbh. His touch is unreal. Especially on the deep throws. Some of the throws he makes are absolutely ridiculous. In the NFL you have to be able to make those small window throws and Love can make them all. I think he’s better than Haskins and Jones we’re coming out last year. You put him under Reich and in a year or two he’ll be special. 

You want a hot take? Right now here in December, I’m saying that Love is indeed Ballard’s guy and unless someone jumps us, I expect him to be the target for us in round 1.

And I will go one hot take further.  Ballard will trade up to get him.

• Like 1