Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF ranks Frank Reich no. 2 in the league in decision-making

stitches

Seems like PFF are using Machine learning algorithm in order to determine how good the situational decisions of NFL coaches have been this season and their algorithm spits out Frank Reich as the second best decision-maker in the league behind John Harbaugh and ahead of Doug Pederson:

All 3 of them have credited advanced analytics people in the booth for helping them with decisions in key situations. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So all three have credited advanced analytics (like what PFF uses) for making decisions and a company that is based on advanced analytics claims they are the top three decision makers.

Am I the only one that sees the circular logic in that?

You are speaking of the Dept. of Redundancy Dept? 

In all seriousness, stats are great, wonderful for conversations, but tendencies, streaks, and records are being constantly broken. The most common consistent stat is inconsistency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So all three have credited advanced analytics (like what PFF uses) for making decisions and a company that is based on advanced analytics claims they are the top three decision makers.

Am I the only one that sees the circular logic in that?

Well it depends on what type of analytics they use. It's possible(probable) different teams use different models but come to similar results, which would explain the match with what PFF's algorithm spits out. Anyways, the point of my last sentence was to explain why that might be, not sure how that's circular logic. It's more of a demonstration of those teams' adherence to what the numbers people tell them. 

8 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I have NO idea how to judge this.  I have enough trouble trying to keep up with the game,  LOL

It's just a demonstration that it seems like Reich is taking the advice from his analytics guys in the booth. So I guess your judgement should depend on how much you trust analytics. 

I think this just shows Frank Reich and Co have studied the probabilities in different situations and go with the choice that historical probability says gives them the best chance to win.

You know I remember a day when most coaches used to punt on 4th and 1 from midfield.   Now that rarely happens unless it's situational.  (Say you are up by 2 with 30 seconds left to go.)  What happened?  Well some people took a look at it, realized the rather high probability of converting a 4th and 1 and realized the chance of getting it and continuing the drive to get some more points was much better for your team than the extra 25 or 30 yards from kicking a punt which has a strong likelyhood of ending in a touchback.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I rely on “pi” for all my decisions. Chess works the best.

pi GIF

16 hours ago, IinD said:

Odds are being a Colts fan will give you a headache. Personal experience, no analytics :D.

Not to bring up the 'ex' so to speak, but Frank seems so much more in tune to what's going on compared to the last guy.

There's no debate there...

• Like 1