Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keep Mahomes in the pocket and double cover Kelce, mix it up with A gap and slot blitzes

chad72

This would be a good game to keep a guy like Mahomes in the pocket and roll double coverage towards Kelce for most of the game.

However, you have to mix it up with an A gap blitz occasionally and when you do that, you will flush him out of the pocket, that is when you drop more into coverage with a spy on Mahomes. The O-linemen cannot move forward in passing situations when you have lighter DL get in passing lanes dropping back for those few plays. They just have to be well timed, along with slot CB blitzes that we did well in the playoff game with Kenny Moore vs Mahomes. That is how we are going to limit him.

On offense, do what we do. Ball control, run the ball and tempo control with long drives. KC will play lot of man coverage, so we have to scheme our pass catchers open because I am not confident that outside TY, the others will separate as well. Stay patient with the run, unlike the playoff game. Hope the refs call face mask penalties against Chris Jones, when he does what he did vs Big Q in the playoff game and got away with it.

Thoughts???

• Like 3

It's possible, but we're going to count on a lot of young players to stand up and be counted.

We do have at least the proverbial snowball's chance.  Especially if Brissett remains relatively productive.

One thing that plays in our favor is that KC is not exactly the most disciplined team.  If we start getting stops, they'll start making mistakes and we might be able to exploit that.  That's how Detroit made it close last week and Detroit isn't the most disciplined team themselves.

KC has been playing on their veins to avoid upsets the last 2 weeks.  They're not invincible.  We CAN do this.

• Like 2

Run. The dang. Ball

If we cannot get a run game going, we don't have a chance. We need to generate offense and keep Mahomes off the field at the same time. I don't have a lot of confidence in this defense to stop him. We need to win in the trenches as well. That's an underrated but ginormous reason that we lost last week.

I think Reich knows all of this too. Start Marlon Mack if you have him in fantasy and if he's healthy. Chris Jones is a force in the middle, so Nyheim Hines also might get more usage with outside runs. Hopefully we throw in a few sweeps as well. We shouldn't necessarily be averse to running it in the middle either though, because while they have Chris Jones, we have Big Q.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigQungus said:

Run. The dang. Ball

If we cannot get a run game going, we don't have a chance. We need to generate offense and keep Mahomes off the field at the same time. I don't have a lot of confidence in this defense to stop him. We need to win in the trenches as well. That's an underrated but ginormous reason that we lost last week.

I think Reich knows all of this too. Start Marlon Mack if you have him in fantasy and if he's healthy. Chris Jones is a force in the middle, so Nyheim Hines also might get more usage with outside runs. Hopefully we throw in a few sweeps as well. We shouldn't necessarily be averse to running it in the middle either though, because while they have Chris Jones, we have Big Q.

Yep, this was definitely the plan going into the playoff game, but we got down 14-0 really fast & Reich abandoned the run game altogether. This year KC is giving up like 6ypc on the ground, so if we can't run on them, that's a problem.

But we do what we do. Is the defensive coordinator capable of altering something that so far has worked as well as just putting out tackling dummies on the field would yield. I’m not sure what the answer is, but I’d expect them to figure something out or it’s going to be very very ugly. Like playing an angry Pats team with cheating built in and no checks. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

This would be a good game to keep a guy like Mahomes in the pocket and roll double coverage towards Kelce for most of the game.

However, you have to mix it up with an A gap blitz occasionally and when you do that, you will flush him out of the pocket, that is when you drop more into coverage with a spy on Mahomes. The O-linemen cannot move forward in passing situations when you have lighter DL get in passing lanes dropping back for those few plays. They just have to be well timed, along with slot CB blitzes that we did well in the playoff game with Kenny Moore vs Mahomes. That is how we are going to limit him.

On offense, do what we do. Ball control, run the ball and tempo control with long drives. KC will play lot of man coverage, so we have to scheme our pass catchers open because I am not confident that outside TY, the others will separate as well. Stay patient with the run, unlike the playoff game. Hope the refs call face mask penalties against Chris Jones, when he does what he did vs Big Q in the playoff game and got away with it.

Thoughts???

Sounds like a good plan.  I agree, we got away from the run game in the playoffs, and it felt like we panicked.  Time for another 100+ yd. run game.

34 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, this was definitely the plan going into the playoff game, but we got down 14-0 really fast & Reich abandoned the run game altogether. This year KC is giving up like 6ypc on the ground, so if we can't run on them, that's a problem.

Thing is, even down 14, you don't need to abandon the run, unless it's the 4th quarter, IMHO.  Let that defense REST!!!

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

It's possible, but we're going to count on a lot of young players to stand up and be counted.

We do have at least the proverbial snowball's chance.  Especially if Brissett remains relatively productive.

One thing that plays in our favor is that KC is not exactly the most disciplined team.  If we start getting stops, they'll start making mistakes and we might be able to exploit that.  That's how Detroit made it close last week and Detroit isn't the most disciplined team themselves.

KC has been playing on their veins to avoid upsets the last 2 weeks.  They're not invincible.  We CAN do this.

Those WR's have to play better and Ebron when he has a chance needs to catch the stinking ball these drops are horrible and unacceptable and Eberflus must be a better DC and gameplan cause that was embarrassing last week you play two deep zone all game this week we will get destroyed period.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Oh I totally agree, I thought they abandoned the run way too early in that game. 

Ugh. Dont even get me started on that. They ran the ball three times out of run formation three straight drives. Drove me nuts

This defense gives up more rushing yards than all but one team in the league. They have given up some yardage on the ground to individual backs. Ravens Mark Ingram 16 for 103 yds and 3 tds, Lions K. Johnson 26 for 125 0 tds (stafford with 3 passing) Raiders' Jacobs 12 for 99. 

I like our chances of establishing a running game early and slowing the game down significantly. It's the only way we can slow this chiefs offense down outside of getting one or two stops by turnover or by getting them into a long yardage situation due to penalty or a sack. Limit the home run shots that they seem to get every game.  

I hope the Maniac is back and plays like, well, a maniac... We need Darius Leonard back making plays. Desperately. That kind of playmaking and energy is contagious. 

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This defense gives up more rushing yards than all but one team in the league. They have given up some yardage on the ground to individual backs. Ravens Mark Ingram 16 for 103 yds and 3 tds, Lions K. Johnson 26 for 125 0 tds (stafford with 3 passing) Raiders' Jacobs 12 for 99. 

I like our chances of establishing a running game early and slowing the game down significantly. It's the only way we can slow this chiefs offense down outside of getting one or two stops by turnover or by getting them into a long yardage situation due to penalty or a sack. Limit the home run shots that they seem to get every game.  

I hope the Maniac is back and plays like, well, a maniac... We need Darius Leonard back making plays. Desperately. That kind of playmaking and energy is contagious. 

Yea, but if they force Jacoby to best them, then its a different game and comes down to our WRs not having a case of the dropises

. Normally, games are won or lost in the trenches and our Oline does have to dominate to run the ball and our Dline does have to get pressure and get home.

But I’ve heard it said by many: PRESS coverage by our CBs!! Mess up their timing. If they play soft, it’s going to be a loooong night!

On offense, we can’t have drops or penalties. We can’t be ourselves. The Colts are going to have to play their best game to have a chance, including a great game plan by Reich and Eberflus.

3 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

. Normally, games are won or lost in the trenches and our Oline does have to dominate to run the ball and our Dline does have to get pressure and get home.

But I’ve heard it said by many: PRESS coverage by our CBs!! Mess up their timing. If they play soft, it’s going to be a loooong night!

On offense, we can’t have drops or penalties. We can’t be ourselves. The Colts are going to have to play their best game to have a chance, including a great game plan by Reich and Eberflus.

They have plenty of speedsters that it is easier on their responsibility to not have to read a defense much with press coverage across the board, IMO. If you use a mix of zone and press, you will cause more confusion and once you force them to think, the young wide outs with speed will react differently instead of just being able to run and beat just their guy, thus even slowing them down a bit.

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Thank you.  I don't think I've seen our corners press coverage ONCE this year.  I might have missed it, but it always seems like they are 5 yards off the receiver, even on 3rd and 1....

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Keep Mahomes in the pocket and double cover Kelce, mix it up with A gap and slot blitzes...

Sounds good. but we all know...

Kelce will be running wide open through huge spaces in the zone.

I borrowed the A gap blitzing idea with a spy concept from Belichick's first half of the AFCCG where he crashed the middle with guys with speed as much as Mahomes so that it is not DL he can evade but safeties and speedy LBs. DLs can then drop in coverage just enough to get in the passing lanes to force an incompletion at least. While doing so, Belichick dictated which side Mahomes was flushed to and left the RB wide open on the opposite end that Mahomes and Andy Reid took a half to figure out. But with our zone D, the goal would be to tackle the open guy and if Mahomes finds the RB, be ready to come off your underneath guy and tackle. 

Since they will figure things out if you keep flushing him, that is when you bring slot blitzes to keep him inside the pocket with the DEs stunting to get speedy guys for the pocket. 

• Like 1

lol everyone is worried about mahomes if i do remember correctly we didn’t allow a single 100 yard rusher till we ran into the Chiefs last year and an Ordinary Back also ran all over us..we have to pick and choose but one thing we can’t do is give up points  Mahomes can win a game without throwing a TD and we just saw that