Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett: Another week to get better

Imgrandojji

He remembers enough of his Patriots training to give the media a hard time when they ask stupid questions and not to fall into verbal traps, but he does it with a sense of humor and an easygoing style that Bill Belichick couldn't manage in 100 years

He learns well from the master but keeps his own identity intact.  Like a truly great student should.

It's so much fun watching this kid mature.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

He remembers enough of his Patriots training to give the media a hard time when they ask stupid questions and not to fall into verbal traps, but he does it with a sense of humor and an easygoing style that Bill Belichick couldn't manage in 100 years

He learns well from the master but keeps his own identity intact.  Like a truly great student should.

It's so much fun watching this kid mature.

I doubt his time with the Patriots has anything to do with it.   He is an intelligent kid.   

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I doubt his time with the Patriots has anything to do with it.   He is an intelligent kid.   

Oh but it does.  It's just a little bit of their preferred way to deal with the media, not to let the talking heads control the narrative, but combined with his own style to do it n an amiable, likeable way.

And since he's an intelligent kid, I doubt he failed to learn from the ultimate media troll at all.

The brightest students can study a master's approach and take what they want from it but put their spin on it.  That's what JB has done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He played in college at Florida, always unreal expectations there, Sportswriters there are spoiled.  He has always been confident in his talents, and a great team player and leader.

Just now, red14 said:

He played in college at Florida, always unreal expectations there, Sportswriters there are spoiled.  He has always been confident in his talents, and a great team player and leader.

It's obvious he is a really intelligent kid.   I have high hopes for him.    

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Oh but it does.  It's just a little bit of their preferred way to deal with the media, not to let the talking heads control the narrative, but combined with his own style to do it n an amiable, likeable way.

And since he's an intelligent kid, I doubt he failed to learn from the ultimate media troll at all.

The brightest students can study a master's approach and take what they want from it but put their spin on it.  That's what JB has done.

I didn't know you wrote a research paper on Jacoby brissett and his interaction with the media.    Was that published?      

I think it's completely possible.   They were asking dumb * questions and he answered in kind

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I didn't know you wrote a research paper on Jacoby brissett and his interaction with the media.    Was that published?      

I think it's completely possible.   They were asking dumb * questions and he answered in kind

I'd say his response to the media's questions show he's a thoughtful and intentional person.  It's how he plays the game too. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cbear said:

I give any modern day athlete a ton of credit if they speak using proper grammer.  How refreshing! 

He is intelligent, thoughtful, and polite as well.  Listen to some of Ramsey's recorded thoughts and answers, and compare the two.

• Like 1

My unpopular opinion about Brissett when listening to him in interviews is that he doesn't seem very personable. He just seems too arrogant or a little demeaning, reporters or not. I just get the overall feeling that if you approached him as a fan, he would probably brush you off or something. I hope I'm wrong, just my first impression of him.

26 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

My unpopular opinion about Brissett when listening to him in interviews is that he doesn't seem very personable. He just seems too arrogant or a little demeaning, reporters or not. I just get the overall feeling that if you approached him as a fan, he would probably brush you off or something. I hope I'm wrong, just my first impression of him.

I can see how you came to this.  Sometimes he's better off ignoring that the question is stupid or repetitive, give an answer and move on.  I do think that arrogant is the wrong descriptor.  If he was arrogant he'd be much more likely to want to talk about himself.  He talks about "we, we, we". 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smash Mouth said:

I can see how you came to this.  Sometimes he's better off ignoring that the question is stupid or repetitive, give an answer and move on.  I do think that arrogant is the wrong descriptor.  If he was arrogant he'd be much more likely to want to talk about himself.  He talks about "we, we, we". 

Yeah, I agree with that. He is all about the team which I'm pleased to hear about. He knows he's not perfect and the team is not perfect and there's always room to improve. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Funny, I get the exact opposite impression

• Like 3

My take is that he is just sincere ..... He's not fake.

His answers are not out of a can.

When he gets a "good" question, his face lights up. You can see in his eyes that he enjoys a good question because he loves the game.

I think he just has an honesty about him when it comes to stupid questions.

• Like 3

no

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

When he gets a "good" question, his face lights up. You can see in his eyes that he enjoys a good question because he loves the game.

Maybe that's it. It was just my overall first impression when watching him in interviews. He seemed a bit rude. There was one before the first game and he said something to the reporters like, You never wanted to ask me any questions before but now I'm here and here you guys are. Something similar to that. I was just like, wow, can't believe he said that.

6 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Don't think he's arrogant.  I get the impression that maybe he's a little uncomfortable with interviews, maybe a little shy and softspoken with the camera.  (That doesn't mean he's that way in the locker room.

I think Luck was uncomfortable with the cameras too but you saw it a different way.  Luck I think would have a tendency to ramble a bit.  

I think Brissett kind of stops chooses his words carefully and uses very few of them.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JRoss1997 said:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but.....

Brissett played two years at Florida, but finished the last two years at North Carolina State.  He played much more in his last two years at NCSU. 

Good catch, Cam Newton, Jeff Driskel, Ingle Martin, Brock Berlin, Will Grier, all transferred from UF, many are in the NFL now. 

12 hours ago, egg said:

8 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Maybe that's it. It was just my overall first impression when watching him in interviews. He seemed a bit rude. There was one before the first game and he said something to the reporters like, You never wanted to ask me any questions before but now I'm here and here you guys are. Something similar to that. I was just like, wow, can't believe he said that.

Brissett has had an odd time with the Colts.  He came in like a week before the regular season started after we learned Luck's injury was bigger than Colts' fans had hoped.  He got thrown into a game 8 days after getting here when Tolzien got hurt and became a starter after that on a pretty poor team.  The Colts went 4-12 that year.... I thought he played well given the fact he hadn't had much time to learn the players, the playbook, etc... but still a 4-12 record.  He stayed around to back up Luck during a pretty successful year for the Colts.  All year there were rumors (I think more media than from the Colts FO) about him being traded.  Everyone expected him to be a back-up this year and in week 3 of pre-season (~2 weeks before the regular season) Andrew Luck unexpectedly retired and Brissett found out he'd be the leader of this team.  With that, there was a lot of media (and people on this board) suggesting we went from Super Bowl contenders to a mediocre/bad team.

Brissett has done nothing but be a great teammate and Colt since he got here.  The media has written a lot of stories about him which were mostly out of his control (e.g., 'Luck's healthy, the Colts should trade Brissett...', 'The Colts had a Super Bowl shot but without Luck we're not going to make the playoffs....', etc.).  He has every right to be careful with how he chooses his words and how he chooses to deal with the media, as up until now they've tried to write his story for him.

His teammates, his coaching staff, his front office, etc. have all been nothing but supportive of him.  He has some very big shoes to fill.  He has been having a very good year.  Not for nothing, but it has to be extremely annoying to hear questions about Luck week after week (especially after a  week like he had last week)... Ballard and Reich have both already said, they're expecting Jacoby to be Jacboy and it would be unfair to expect him to be Luck... the media seems to constantly ask him to compare himself to Andrew and kind of treat him like it's his first rodeo... I think he's very wise in answering questions straight forward or telling the media "I hope you realized you just answered your own question."  He's writing his own narrative now, and I think he's simply aware that the media have their own storylines/agendas, he isn't buying into it.  Good for him.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

He is young guy that has been thrust unexpectedly on a BIG stage...........   Give him some time to get used to the bright lights

Its clear his team loves him

Andrew came off as a bit goofy in many of his interviews........

I think JB is trying to listen and respond in a professional manner

Give him some time

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Best part of the interview was when he changed 'offense' to 'team'. Classy and right out of the Ballard/Reich locker room trademark. 

I don't care if he is arrogant or demeaning to reporters who ask stupid questions. They deserve all they get.

Nicely played young man. 

I guess that may be true. If they're asking dumb questions, maybe they deserve the sarcastic answer.

• Like 1