Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Dorsett


CurBeatElite

Recommended Posts

It looks like he's finally coming into his own in NE... he showed spurts here and there while he was a Colt, but nothing consistent... same his first couple years in NE.

 

This year he's got

4 Receptions, 95 yards, 2 TD (58T long) in week 1

3 receptions, 39 yards, (18 long) in week 2,

6 receptions, 53 yards, (25T long) in week 3.

 

I still think we won the trade with Brissett... but glad to see him finally starting to find some success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

It looks like he's finally coming into his own in NE... he showed spurts here and there while he was a Colt, but nothing consistent... same his first couple years in NE.

 

This year he's got

4 Receptions, 95 yards, 2 TD (58T long) in week 1

3 receptions, 39 yards, (18 long) in week 2,

6 receptions, 53 yards, (25T long) in week 3.

 

I still think we won the trade with Brissett... but glad to see him finally starting to find some success.

Why?   He's a Pat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Why?   He's a Pat.

 

Yea, I dislike the Pats very much... but I always rooted for Dorsett, he seemed like a hard working, humble guy who had unreal expectations with where Grigs drafted him.

 

I don't want to see the Pats have success, but don't mind seeing a former Colt who I always rooted for doing well on the personal level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, Four2itus said:

WR's take a while to develop. That is why I don't get all the fans calling for Campbell. 

 

They seem to expect things from rookie or first year WR's that are just not likely. 

 

Yes, especially the types like Dorsett and Campbell who are such good athletes where they were able to get away with pure athleticism to dominate at the collegiate level.  Campbell has decent size and Dorsett is pretty small, which also doesn't seem to help, especially if you're coming from a college offense that doesn't utilize you in a pro-style offense.

 

When Dorsett came to Indy, he was pretty much a burner with a lot of development needed on his route-running and fundamentals.  He also didn't have a great offense for him (which I think impacts a lot of WRs -- Pep was very predictable in his play calling and didn't really seem to design schemes to utilize individual player strengths --- this is something I like about Reich and Surianno, they seem to actually tailor specific plays/packages to the strengths of the individuals who are on the field).  

 

It seems like the bigger WRs who come in from pro-style systems do well earlier (e.g., Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, etc..).  We drafted Campbell as a developmental guy... he's already come a shoestring tackle from taking a KR to the house and has had a receiving TD and has played a role in the offense.  I think as time goes on, Reich will work more and more plays tailored specifically to him (e.g., reverses, screens, pick routes to let him break away in the slot, etc.).  

 

Everyone seems to forget that Reggie (a likely HOFer) had 27 receptions in his rookie year... he didn't break 1,000 yards until his 4th year and then he went on to have 8 of his next 9 years over 1,000 yards (with 960 yards the year Peyton was out).... I'm really not worried about Campbell at all... of course, I'd like to see him shine sooner than later, but if it takes a few years for him to break out, that's fine too -- I think Ballard/Reich both expect him to take at least a little while to really become a true NFL WR rather than just a freak athlete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 4:50 PM, Four2itus said:

WR's take a while to develop. That is why I don't get all the fans calling for Campbell. 

 

They seem to expect things from rookie or first year WR's that are just not likely. 

 

I'm in full agreement on this.  100% 

 

However I would also say that Dorsett a long time ago reached the point where we should have seen more out of him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 4:40 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I always liked Dorsett actually, he is working out for you guys. If you didn't have Tom, JB would do well for you guys IMO. We will be 3-1 after this week and JB is good. He isn't Luck and of course isn't Tom but he is good.

We will be 2-2 after this week :funny:. I guess I had to change that one :spit:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will be 2-2 after this week :funny:. I guess I had to change that one :spit:

Still in the race for the AFC South Crown! I like Brissett I think he will prove be a good starting QB, not a Luck or Brady good but perhaps Stafford good?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JimJaime said:

Still in the race for the AFC South Crown! I like Brissett I think he will prove be a good starting QB, not a Luck or Brady good but perhaps Stafford good?

 

Stafford is underrated by most, IMHO.  I'd be OK with that.

 

On 9/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, JimJaime said:

Brissettstill sitting on the bench here so..

 

Yes, Tommy (I listen to Weis most every day) seems to defy Father Time...

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Stafford is underrated by most, IMHO.  I'd be OK with that.

 

 

Yes, Tommy (I listen to Weis most every day) seems to defy Father Time...

Exactly! The trade was perfect for both teams. I dare say perfect for both players as well, I dare say a rare case where both teams won the trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...