Depth Chart: Interesting WR tidbit??

EastStreet

— WR: T.Y. Hilton, Deon Cain, Parris Campbell

and

— WR: Devin Funchess, Zach Pascal, Chester Rogers

Changes

- Cain moved from what is traditionally the X to the Z/slot side

- Rogers moved from what is traditionally the Z/slot to the X side

I have zero clue what this means, if anything. The Colts show 2 WR set in the depth chart even though we run a 3 WR set most of the time. For a good while, they have divided the two into X and Z/slot. If they are still doing that, the move of Cain is a head scratcher. Perhaps they liked what they saw with Fountain on that side, and want to see Cain try the same. Honestly, not to excited to see all the speed WRs on one side. Was hoping to see sets with TY at Z, Cain at X, and Campbell at slot. I'm sure that can still happen, but the new alignment is just strange to me. I really wish they show a 3 WR set on the depth chart.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think we are eventually going to see Cain on the other side of Hilton and DF in the slot.  I think we have a lot of versatility with moving around the field. TY and DF can both play outside or in the slot. Don’t really read to much into the depth chart.

The only concern I have, is that when Funch moves to slot, it looks like it would be Pascal at the X instead of Cain. That's simply nowhere near as dangerous as Cain X -Funch Slot - TY Z. I want 3 out of 4 best WRs on the field most of the time. I don't see Pascal as a top 4.

6 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I hope Campbell can take the slot spot from Rogers. I think Chester is good depth but not sure he’ll ever be more than just a decent slot guy.

Traditionally (all of last year), the starting slot guy was the WR listed directly behind TY. If that holds true, Cain would be the traditional slot. 

That's why I'm scratching my head a bit given past practice.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The only concern I have, is that when Funch moves to slot, it looks like it would be Pascal at the X instead of Cain. That's simply nowhere near as dangerous as Cain X -Funch Slot - TY Z. I want 3 out of 4 best WRs on the field most of the time. I don't see Pascal as a top 4.

Pascal is probably not going to get much playing time at WR. Same with Rogers. We are to deep at WR for them to get playing time there. Most of there time will be on ST.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

and

Changes

I have zero clue what this means, if anything. The Colts show 2 WR set in the depth chart even though we run a 3 WR set most of the time. For a good while, they have divided the two into X and Z/slot. If they are still doing that, the move of Cain is a head scratcher. Perhaps they liked what they saw with Fountain on that side, and want to see Cain try the same. Honestly, not to excited to see all the speed WRs on one side. Was hoping to see sets with TY at Z, Cain at X, and Campbell at slot. I'm sure that can still happen, but the new alignment is just strange to me. I really wish they show a 3 WR set on the depth chart.

Thoughts?

They say this crap but they will still move them around to find the favorable matchups.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Wouldn’t put too much stock into it. Funchess was signed to play the slot. The routes he runs are where his value lies. Campbell will be a chess piece. Think TY his rookie year. He’ll be at X, Y, and Z and even get some handoffs/pitches out the backfield.

Reich pretty much said that about a week ago. He said he didn’t want to limit where he would play because you can move him all over.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

and

Changes

Thoughts?

I'll break it down for you....lol

Calculus.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pascal will still get several reps as long as he is our best blocker.
 He is an asset in the running game, bubble screens, and jet sweeps.

Not sure how good Funch is at blocking, but he has the size for blocking. I'm just not sure the O will want to use a player one dimensionally (if that's a word lol). 

7 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

They say this crap but they will still move them around to find the favorable matchups.

They absolutely move them around, but there are difference between X, Z, and slot assignments/routes. For instance, a guy who struggles beating the press is likely to play more slot and Z than X. Traditional slots (not slots like T.Hill) are used a lot to actually get other WRs open, etc.. There is more to the X, Z, and slot than just the letters. That's why the flopping of Cain and Rogers is a bit interesting.

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

They absolutely move them around, but there are difference between X, Z, and slot assignments/routes. For instance, a guy who struggles beating the press is likely to play more slot and Z than X. Traditional slots (not slots like T.Hill) are used a lot to actually get other WRs open, etc.. There is more to the X, Z, and slot than just the letters. That's why the flopping of Cain and Rogers is a bit interesting.

There is a difference between Cain and Rogers Cain seems like a all around WR while Rogers is more of a possession WR.

6 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

There is a difference between Cain and Rogers Cain seems like a all around WR while Rogers is more of a possession WR.

Agreed, but I'd still like to see Cain lining up at the outside X with TY at the Z. Talk about having to defend every inch of turf... Not sure how much that will happen with the new alignment. 

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

What values did you use for del, as the nabla operator (a one dimensional standard deviation?), and varphi in the last line? Just curious.

Let me get a few beverages in me and then I’ll work on those answers. But I’m still sure it’s 7 lol.