Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld Reports Freeney Unlikely To Be Traded..

Indeee

Kravitz is now reporting colts will keep Freeney even if new contract can not be reached just saw it on the news.

They have several months to extend him before the season starts, and save a few million to the cap in 2012. Truth is they control him for the next year, and so if he's turning down contract talks because he wants to be released and hit the free agent market, telling him that they would rather keep him for a year at $19 million than release him might bring him back to the table at some point. Especially since these other teams have money flying out the door and his potential destinations are disappearing.

And then again, they may be willing to keep him at that insane cap figure and then get a compensatory pick in 2014 for him. I think that's madness, though. I'd rather trade him for a 4th in 2012 than pay $14 million in 2012 for a potential late 3rd in 2014. That's why I still think something happens with his contract, one way or the other.

They have several months to extend him before the season starts, and save a few million to the cap in 2012. Truth is they control him for the next year, and so if he's turning down contract talks because he wants to be released and hit the free agent market, telling him that they would rather keep him for a year at $19 million than release him might bring him back to the table at some point. Especially since these other teams have money flying out the door and his potential destinations are disappearing.

And then again, they may be willing to keep him at that insane cap figure and then get a compensatory pick in 2014 for him. I think that's madness, though. I'd rather trade him for a 4th in 2012 than pay $14 million in 2012 for a potential late 3rd in 2014. That's why I still think something happens with his contract, one way or the other.

It has to. I don't think we'll be able to fill out our roster with that current salary.

I am just telling you what others have said. I agreed with you that he shoyluld be extended.

We probably can, but regardless, that's $19 million. Gotta do something with it.

It's simple, all they have to do is renegotiate and extend his contract. If they don't, then they gotta release him as it looks like the Titans and Colts are losing interest in making a deal for Freeney.

Seems to me these could be leaked stories to get other teams to bite with draft pick so we don't give impression any longer we will just release him him. Either way he has to go, not only money issue it's just i don't see him flourishing in 3-4 scheme unless they use him in 4-3 hybrid packages. Still way too much money to pay for a not every down player as it seems he will now be if he stays

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 15, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, March 15, 2012 - personal shot

Are you all serious of how you're talking right now. All this trade talk about freeney and release talk about freeney and you all are taking it so lately and saying it like nothing. This man represents the horseshoe very well and you are including in age in your decision? Where is the loyalty in Indy freeney has been a colt forever and respects and wears the horseshoe well. Are you really going to sit here and type this nonsense I hope we keep freeney and he retires a colts hes done so much for this organization brings so much leadership and playing ability has most sacks ever as a colt and this is how were talking about him. WOW fellas rethink your thoughts its plain disgusting.

What is er level of education?

Are you all serious of how you're talking right now. All this trade talk about freeney and release talk about freeney and you all are taking it so lately and saying it like nothing. This man represents the horseshoe very well and you are including in age in your decision? Where is the loyalty in Indy freeney has been a colt forever and respects and wears the horseshoe well. Are you really going to sit here and type this nonsense I hope we keep freeney and he retires a colts hes done so much for this organization brings so much leadership and playing ability has most sacks ever as a colt and this is how were talking about him. WOW fellas rethink your thoughts its plain disgusting.

If loyalty didn't keep Manning a Colt then it's sure not going to keep Freeney a Colt, especially when you consider that Freeney, if kept under the current contract, would be making more money than Peyton would have if he'd been kept. I like Freeney a lot but I never believed he was worth the inflated contract he got...same goes for Brackett, Clark and Addai and that's the reason they were cut.

why cant we just extend freeney's contract

Because he's refused to renegotiate.

I think the smart move would be to hold on to him for now and see if a team misses out on the pass rusher they were looking for on draft day. We might be able to get a better deal when a team who figures themselves to be a contender misses out on a highly touted pass rushing prospect and needs to fill that hole on their team. We might then be able to squeeze a third or possibly even 2nd round pick for him. Otherwise, I could see the logic behind holding on to him for his final contract year and letting him hit free agency next year. That way we at least get what would likely be a 3rd round compensatory pick. I'd hate to have to pay him the $19 mil this year but that way we would at least get something for him. I guess they have to decide if the compensatory pick would outweigh paying him the final year of his contract. If they don't figure we'll be contenders this year anyway then it may be worth it, especially considering that way they could still find ways to use Freeney on the field.

Bavaian,

Has Mathis been in or shown any interest? If that's what you want to do, then you at least keep Freeney until Mathis indicates he'll sign, not simply in the hopes of signing him.

He was speaking with Grigs last night, but he is in Baltimore now.. love to get him , but don't think the timing will work out

I wonder if there's some metric somewhere that considers mathematically how many games dwight won for the colts via late game heroics. He was our closer.

Do you even understand how rare this guy's talent is? more rare than manning, harrison, anyone who has come down the line.

In my book, He's in the Reggie White, Bruce Smith, John Randle category.

He'll get a huge contract and he'll make it worth it.

Are you saying Freeney's level of talent is more rare than Peyton Manning's? I would have to highly disagree with that. Freeney is an elite pass rusher...one of the best. That I'll give you. However he struggles in run support, unlike the other guys you mentioned so I've never considered him a great all around DE but rather an elite pass rusher. There are several elite pass rushers in the league right now, but not many, if any, QBs who can do what Peyton has done for the past 14 years.

why is it time to move on from Freeney but not Mathis and Wayne?

I'd still rework his deal into 3 years...

Because he isn't willing to take less $ like those two did. Im sure if he were willing to do it, it wouldn't be a problem, but he has said he isn't willing.

Heck Roberto signed for $36 for 4 years, Dwights making over 50% of that just this year I do believe. Thats just silly.

Here is my take on this. They don't want to release Freeney nor do they want to trade him for next to nothing. They will hold on to him for now. Once the first wave of free agency is done, there will be teams who still really need a pass rusher. Once Mario signs, people will be looking for the next best. We already signed the #2 DE. Maybe you rethink losing a pick if you want to improve your pass rush next year. If nobody gives them a good offer hold him until after the draft. He may be more willing to do a new contract once he realizes he is not getting a huge pay day. If not, release him later on and pick up some mid range free agents that are still left to fill holes and special teams. I think the FO is telling teams you arent getting Freeney unless you are willing to pay. Of course if they get a bigger name free agent to agree to terms and they need the cap room, cut him lose.

After all the free agency dust has settled I think one of two things will happen......................a restructured contract to lower his cap hit OOOOOORRRRRR he does, in fact, get traded to someone who runs a 4-3 defense looking for a pure pass rusher for a playoff run!

I don't see the front office keeping him around at 19 million this year!?

I could be wrong though, of course!

Kravitz is now reporting colts will keep Freeney even if new contract can not be reached just saw it on the news.

interesting. Def. not the worst thing to happen if so.

I think the money could be spent on other FAs but Freeney can still play.

i think once mario williams signs the bears will call the colts for freeney. they need another pass rusher opposite peppers

Yes, but the Bears are signing and getting some big players... do you think they can afford a 14M against the cap player, no. Freeney will go to a team with a lot of cap space if anything. The only team that the Colts are talking with are the Titans, and supposedly those talks aren't going that great.

Yes, but the Bears are signing and getting some big players... do you think they can afford a 14M against the cap player, no. Freeney will go to a team with a lot of cap space if anything. The only team that the Colts are talking with are the Titans, and supposedly those talks aren't going that great.

so how about the jags, they have tons of space and can use someone opposite mincy since kampman isnt working

so how about the jags, they have tons of space and can use someone opposite mincy since kampman isnt working

Well they have Mincey so that's one DE spot. Now, odds are they are going to pick Quinton Coples, and right now, I rather have Quinton Coples over Dwight Freeney for several reasons (as a 4-3 DE). Freeney is old, Coples is young. Freeney is not looking like the old Freeney anymore, Coples has tons of potential. Both are stubborn. This is the big one. Coples is going to have a rookie contract, and Freeney will have that big 19M dollar contract.

Well they have Mincey so that's one DE spot. Now, odds are they are going to pick Quinton Coples, and right now, I rather have Quinton Coples over Dwight Freeney for several reasons (as a 4-3 DE). Freeney is old, Coples is young. Freeney is not looking like the old Freeney anymore, Coples has tons of potential. Both are stubborn. This is the big one. Coples is going to have a rookie contract, and Freeney will have that big 19M dollar contract.

ok whats the vikings cap? i know they have been looking for someone to opposite jared allen

ok whats the vikings cap? i know they have been looking for someone to opposite jared allen

Really? They have Brian Robison who had a very nice season across from Jared Allen. They are not looking for a DE, they have much bigger needs and I would argue that the DE spot is not a need.

Really? They have Brian Robison who had a very nice season across from Jared Allen. They are not looking for a DE, they have much bigger needs and I would argue that the DE spot is not a need.

ive never heard of him

ive never heard of him

Well learn his name. He had 44 tackles and 8 sacks last year as a LDE. He's a good starter for them, and he's fairly young and getting better and better as the seasons go on.

I think Freeney's value will go up after FA winds down. There are only so many elite pass rushers to go around. He doesn't fit our needs anymore (scheme) and his cap hit is HUGE. That money could be used to sign players/better yet carry over to next year which we can do with any unused salary cap. Most teams aren't biting because A. he doesn't have an agent to extend his contract. b.Mario/Peyton are holding up things for teams like Denver/Tennessee/Buffalo. c. there are tons of teams that would like an elite pass rusher with a 4-3 Atlanta may not sign Abrahams, Cincy has tons of cap space, Buffalo/Tennessee can't both sign mario, jacksonville has cap room, tampa bay has cap space (still), seattle lots of cap space, carolina needs defense. A lot of options out there yet and way to soon to see where everyone goes. Just can't see him back with that cap hit and us rebuilding and changing schemes and what we can save by moving him and I can't see him/us signing long term as it wouldn't fit either of our/his best interest.