Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fantasy Football Advise 2019 Edition Ask Here

QB: Watson

WR: Jones, Hopkins

RB: Zeke, Conner/Samuels

TE: Waller

Flex: Golden Tate

DST: 49ers

Bench: Conner/Samuels, Malcolm Brown, Devante Parker, Jacob Hollister, Dak Prescott

IR: Marlon Mack

Over the last 3 weeks my team has come up short of projections by over 90 points. I’m 1-2 in that stretch. 6-5 overall. This season for me has been nothing short of riding the struggle bus. 

Our whole league is 20 teams split up into two separate leagues (which we call conferences) of 10. We have a top 8 overall league playoffs starting next week, and conference playoffs start week 14. Doubt I’m making the league playoffs, there’s 10 teams fighting for the last 4 spots and my team falling so short on points in the last 3 weeks has put me pretty far back on points. Shooting for the conference playoffs, but...

I have a sinking feeling my team is going to once again absolutely soil the bed at least 2 of the next 3 weeks and screw me over one for good. :tvsmash:

My waiver claim for Williams did not come to pass. For which I’m actually thankful. 

I picked up Tate last week when my opponent had to drop him for a QB (make them pay, make them pay!) but Darius Slayton is a FA and I’m looking at rostering him this week just to see if he can contribute to build on what he’s done recently. 

Of course the big factor in that is Sterling Shepard. If he finally makes it back this week how will he affect Slayton’s role? Still, I have roster space, I’ll claim him during the weekend. They play at 1 so if he’s had a bad game I’ll probably drop him for a player yet to play on the weekend. 

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Jimmy G has had a lot more chances to throw though. No it's standard otherwise no question

Yes, Jimmy G will get his yards but I feel Baker will get his TDs to neutralize it.

As far as Hunt vs Cooks, I'd still go with Kareem Hunt due to the number of opportunities against a bad Miami defense.

Ravens got Marcus Peters in a trade and have not given up huge chunks of yardage on pass defense. 2 defensive TDs vs Seahawks with a Marcus Peters pick six vs Russell Wilson, 1 defensive TD vs Patriots, 2 TDs vs Bengals, 7 sacks vs Watson has been the damage they have done lately. Cooks mostly will be used like a decoy for Kupp and Woods underneath, IMO, because Goff will not have the time as much to go deep and connect with Earl Thomas, Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters roaming there, IMO. However, Cooks will keep Earl Thomas honest to give Kupp and Woods the production, which won't help your case with Cooks.

Just my two cents. Good luck!!!

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

My waiver claim for Williams did not come to pass. For which I’m actually thankful. 

I picked up Tate last week when my opponent had to drop him for a QB (make them pay, make them pay!) but Darius Slayton is a FA and I’m looking at rostering him this week just to see if he can contribute to build on what he’s done recently. 

Of course the big factor in that is Sterling Shepard. If he finally makes it back this week how will he affect Slayton’s role? Still, I have roster space, I’ll claim him during the weekend. They play at 1 so if he’s had a bad game I’ll probably drop him for a player yet to play on the weekend. 

I saw a video with Matthew Berry on ESPN yesterday that there was a brief setback with Sterling Shepard after his latest practice. Berry correctly pointed out that concussion recovery is not a linear thing, you have good days and bad days, it is not like it progressively gets better. If the Giants look at Sterling like the Colts looked at Collie after a second concussion in the season, they might just shut him down, IMO, with just a few games to go.

However, you will have to wait a week at least to see how things play out. If you have the time, stash Slayton on your bench for 2 weeks. If not, it is your call.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I saw a video with Matthew Berry on ESPN yesterday that there was a brief setback with Sterling Shepard after his latest practice. Berry correctly pointed out that concussion recovery is not a linear thing, you have good days and bad days, it is not like it progressively gets better. If the Giants look at Sterling like the Colts looked at Collie after a second concussion in the season, they might just shut him down, IMO, with just a few games to go.

However, you will have to wait a week at least to see how things play out. If you have the time, stash Slayton on your bench for 2 weeks. If not, it is your call.

He’s worth a stash, but with Tate I don’t know if I could ever play him. Too bad the trade deadline has passed... I’ll flip a guy like Slayton after a big game. 

Tate was a super good claim. I tallied it up this morning. Since week 6 He’s scored 73 points. In that same span Hopkins has totaled 76.4 and Jones 68.4. Since my attempt to have Zeke, Mack, and Conner at RB and Flex has blown up in my face Tate is my automatic flex now. I’ve traded away all my depth and no one else is any more than a gamble. 

For comparison Slayton has put up 56.7 in that same span... 

My opponent this week is in need of a TE and K, and the only droppable player he has is Shepard. I’m currently rostering 3 TEs playing a little defense for myself so even if I want Slayton I’ll have to wait till the weekend. I’d actually have to wait until Saturday because Matt Gay was dropped on waivers today and I gave a claim in on him. (Plus I have waiver priority over my opponent so it just makes sense for me to claim him.)

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes, Jimmy G will get his yards but I feel Baker will get his TDs to neutralize it.

As far as Hunt vs Cooks, I'd still go with Kareem Hunt due to the number of opportunities against a bad Miami defense.

Ravens got Marcus Peters in a trade and have not given up huge chunks of yardage on pass defense. 2 defensive TDs vs Seahawks with a Marcus Peters pick six vs Russell Wilson, 1 defensive TD vs Patriots, 2 TDs vs Bengals, 7 sacks vs Watson has been the damage they have done lately. Cooks mostly will be used like a decoy for Kupp and Woods underneath, IMO, because Goff will not have the time as much to go deep and connect with Earl Thomas, Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters roaming there, IMO. However, Cooks will keep Earl Thomas honest to give Kupp and Woods the production, which won't help your case with Cooks.

Just my two cents. Good luck!!!

Cooks vs hunt only matters if Connor can't go. Just preparing 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Cooks vs hunt only matters if Connor can't go. Just preparing 

Man, you’re better off to just avoid Conner. He’s had literally half his games played this year affected by injury. 

I took a look at their schedule to end the season and how run friendly it was and decided not to move him before the deadline. I’ve regretted it ever since. Luckily I’ve had Samuels rostered but even he has been disappointing. 

I was really not in love with drafting him at 7 and he’s done his best to make me pay for it since. 

20 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Man, you’re better off to just avoid Conner. He’s had literally half his games played this year affected by injury. 

I took a look at their schedule to end the season and how run friendly it was and decided not to move him before the deadline. I’ve regretted it ever since. Luckily I’ve had Samuels rostered but even he has been disappointing. 

I was really not in love with drafting him at 7 and he’s done his best to make me pay for it since. 

The Bengals are too good of a matchup. Connor when heathly has put up good numbers, but it has been a pretty disappointing season overall I agree

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The Bengals are too good of a matchup. Connor when heathly has put up good numbers, but it has been a pretty disappointing season overall I agree

They are a juicy matchup. That’s why even if I had claimed Williams the only way I could consider playing him was if Wilkins was out. Then he’d still be a tough gamble to make against Conner/Samuels agains the Bengals. 

Now Conner and/or Samuels get to let me down without the added aid of regret. 

51 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Who would you sit in half ppr?

Guice vs Det (1st in PA)

Hunt vs Mia (6th in PA)

Samuel's @Cinci (5th in PA)

From there,  would you start the person you sit over T. Willams in flex?

I would sit none of them but if I had to choose, Samuels, only because Rudolph has shown no ability to be accurate and get the ball down the field, so Samuels will be easily the guy they focus on. No, I would start T. Williams over Samuels mainly because the Jets just give up passing TDs to outside wide outs. They did so even to rookie Dwayne Haskins and a week ago, were generous to Daniel Jones. I'd go with Tyrell Williams this week over Samuels for the upside, definitely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

Who would you sit in half ppr?

Guice vs Det (1st in PA)

Hunt vs Mia (6th in PA)

Samuel's @Cinci (5th in PA)

From there,  would you start the person you sit over T. Willams in flex?

Guice

Heres Why:

The Redskins love to run under Callahan. Ever since he’s taken over the head coaching job Peterson has had a resurgence in fantasy value. The Redskins also should be using this time to get the best look at Guice that they can. Peterson should be taking a back seat to him moving forward. 

Here’s Why Not:

Peterson should be taking a back seat to him moving forward. Should be. This is not a given. I’m scared of his durability. At this point it feels like he can go down again at literally any moment. It’s also hard to gauge his usage. If he comes out and struggles and Peterson has success will Callahan abandon him and ride the hot hand?

Hunt
Here’s Why:

He’s still one of the best backs in the game. He’s capable of breaking to the house each time he gets the ball. 

Here’s Why Not:

Chubb is the clear alpha here. They aren’t going to keep Chubb out of a game for Hunt for an extended period of time for any reason. He is going to see the least opportunity of the three. Also, don’t get comfortable looking at the Dolphins as an opponent. In the last two weeks they’ve held us and the Bills run game pretty well in check. They’re not the hapless Dolphins we thought they were. 

Samuels

Here’s Why:

He’s the starter. They’ve cycled a lot of RBs in and out underneath him and there’s no real threat to take his spot. Probably. He’s shown he can be a good receiving back out of the backfield and he can pick up points that way. The Bengals, unlike the Dolphins, are still a pretty hapless defense. This is a juicy matchup to take advantage of. It’s also a must-win for them to stay in playoff contention. 

Here’s Why Not:

This is 2019. You can’t trust a single member of the Steelers offense. If you do you’re a fool, because they can come out and soil the bed any given week. If Conner is playing you can’t start him. He’s also not free from injury concerns himself... 

For me I’m benching Hunt. He has (probably) the highest ceiling, but also the lowest floor of the three. I would not start him over Williams. Williams has a nice matchup against the Jets and he should come in with a 10 point floor. 

This one could come back real different with the benefit of hindsight because it’s easy for this decision to come back and bite you. But for me, I’m benching Hunt. 

55 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would sit none of them but if I had to choose, Samuels, only because Rudolph has shown no ability to be accurate and get the ball down the field, so Samuels will be easily the guy they focus on. No, I would start T. Williams over Samuels mainly because the Jets just give up passing TDs to outside wide outs. They did so even to rookie Dwayne Haskins and a week ago, were generous to Daniel Jones. I'd go with Tyrell Williams this week over Samuels for the upside, definitely.

Don’t kill my Samuels optimism, I’m sure he’ll do that for me enough Sunday. :explode:

• Thanks 1

Yahoo standard league:

QB: Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees

WRs: Michael Thomas, D.J.Chark, Alshon Jeffrey, Tyrell Williams

RBs: Dalvin Cook (bye), Mark Ingram, Leonard Fournette, Austin Ekeler (bye), Kareem Hunt 

TEs: Darren Waller, Jacob Hollister

K: Matt Gay

DEF: Raiders' D

Do I play Hollister over Waller this weekend? Both Jets and Eagles are tough run Ds, so both of them should get production, I think. Hate to play 2 Raiders and 2 Jaguars, too many eggs in too few baskets, that is my dilemma. 

ESPN Half-PPR league (1 QB, 2 WRs, 2 RBs, 2 FLEX (WR/RB/TE), 1 DEF, no kicker)

QB: Carson Wentz

WRs: Michael Thomas, Will Fuller, JuJu, James Washington

RBs: Le'Veon Bell, Chris Carson, Mark Ingram, Adrian Peterson

TEs: Evan Engram, Jacob Hollister

DEF: Ravens, 49ers, Eagles

If I need to cut dead weight on my roster, what are the ones I can get rid of? 

@Narcosys @CR91 @John Waylon @Jared Cisneros

Hollister and Waller is a decision I have to make myself. For me I think it depends on whether Lockett plays or not. If Lockett plays go with Waller. Hollister needs to show he is a reliable option for one more week. Waller is a staple of the Raiders offense.  

If Lockett is out Hollister should be more important to his offense. 

I’d drop Brees. You’re through the byes, Jackson is having an MVP year, you should be starting him weekly. Washington seems like a drop candidate, but he could be a good gamble as a start. He’s got chemistry with Rudolph and ESPN is reporting that Juju will be out Sunday. Rudolph should have a decent game against the Bengals, and Washington and Conner should benefit from that. 

It’s still a little premature to drop Peterson at this point, but it’s also not the worst move you can make. It’s definitely not a season breaker. 

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yahoo standard league:

QB: Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees

WRs: Michael Thomas, D.J.Chark, Alshon Jeffrey, Tyrell Williams

RBs: Dalvin Cook (bye), Mark Ingram, Leonard Fournette, Austin Ekeler (bye), Kareem Hunt 

TEs: Darren Waller, Jacob Hollister

K: Matt Gay

DEF: Raiders' D

Do I play Hollister over Waller this weekend? Both Jets and Eagles are tough run Ds, so both of them should get production, I think. Hate to play 2 Raiders and 2 Jaguars, too many eggs in too few baskets, that is my dilemma. 

ESPN Half-PPR league (1 QB, 2 WRs, 2 RBs, 2 FLEX (WR/RB/TE), 1 DEF, no kicker)

QB: Carson Wentz

WRs: Michael Thomas, Will Fuller, JuJu, James Washington

RBs: Le'Veon Bell, Chris Carson, Mark Ingram, Adrian Peterson

TEs: Evan Engram, Jacob Hollister

DEF: Ravens, 49ers, Eagles

If I need to cut dead weight on my roster, what are the ones I can get rid of? 

@Narcosys @CR91 @John Waylon @Jared Cisneros

I run one TE for the most part.  Especially now after byes, running 3 defenses is too much. You're rosters are solid btw. 

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I run one TE for the most part.  Especially now after byes, running 3 defenses is too much. You're rosters are solid btw. 

Not when you are going against a guy this week (#1) whose roster in my half PPR league is:

QB: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen

WRs: Michael Evans, Golden Tate, Terry McLaurin, D.K.Metcalf

RBs: Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry, Marlon Mack, Sony Michel, Kareem Hunt, Alexander Mattison

DEF: Steelers

If Lamar has a normal week, like about 20-22 points, I stand a chance. :) 

13 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I traded the 49ers D for Alshon Jeffrey and kept just Ravens D and Eagles D, better usage of my bench and roster, I felt.

57 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I traded the 49ers D for Alshon Jeffrey and kept just Ravens D and Eagles D, better usage of my bench and roster, I felt.

Really smart move.  Not sure if Alshon was the best choice,  but also probably not much else you could get.  NJ:thmup:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Texans Defense is allowing an absurd 6.6 ypc to RBs since JJ watt’s injury. Who gets the bulk of the carries and/ or goal line carries with Mack out??

If we knew, we’d all win bets. If Texans go up 2 scores on us, game script could change as well. I’d go with Jonathan Williams right now because like Mark Ingram, who CAUGHT 2 TDs vs Texans, he catches well and runs between the tackles too. But then, Hines could get those too, don’t know???

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Daily fantasy lineup PPR for tonight TNF:  Who best for RB? Hines, Williams or Wilkins? There could be a committee since Mack isn't playing, but I have no idea who would get the most snaps. 

Also, hoping TY is good to go. 

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Texans Defense is allowing an absurd 6.6 ypc to RBs since JJ watt’s injury. Who gets the bulk of the carries and/ or goal line carries with Mack out??

Your chances of getting burnt for being involved with the situation are way higher than not. To me any of the three this week are absolute last ditch worst case scenarios. 

Unless Wilkins is a surprise scratch then rolling the dice on Williams is worth it. (Probably. Maybe.)

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Alshon’s next 3 games are vs Dolphins, Giants and Redskins, so it was worth a shot

Winston @Atl or Darnold vs Oak

Winston is pretty much a guaranteed 20 pt minimum,  but Darnold may have the higher ceiling.  Jets have a run game though while the Bucs don't. 

I would have to drop Winston. 

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Winston @Atl or Darnold vs Oak

Winston is pretty much a guaranteed 20 pt minimum,  but Darnold may have the higher ceiling.  Jets have a run game though while the Bucs don't. 

I would have to drop Winston. 

Darnold has hit a groove and so has the Falcons' defense. I'd lean towards Darnold on this one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Your chances of getting burnt for being involved with the situation are way higher than not. To me any of the three this week are absolute last ditch worst case scenarios. 

Unless Wilkins is a surprise scratch then rolling the dice on Williams is worth it. (Probably. Maybe.)

Looks like Wilkins was a scratch after all. I hate guessing in fantasy football 

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

So did you start Williams since Wilkins wad a scratch?

He wasn’t a scratch, but they didn’t give him much work. He was in on a KR because he had a penalty against him. 

Williams had a team season high in carries last night. Even Hines seemed to get less work than normal. In a run-heavy gameplan. 

I don’t even know anymore. I’m sticking by my original decree though: no more Colts RBs under this staff after this season. 

Did anyone catch them say they expect him to be out about a month on the broadcast last night? That would mean he could be subject to return around weeks 15 and 16 in the playoffs. I’m still skeptical of that, but I guess I’ll roster him until we hear any different. He’s gonna be a dead roster spot some weeks until he gets ruled out, so hopefully they keep him listed as out so he stays in the IR spot without getting in the way of other acquisitions. 

So I have to tell the story of how last night progressed. In our league we have a Facebook group chat with everyone in it. I was watching Watson and Hopkins quiet first half and starting to stew. Finally I got fed up and went “Boy Hopkins and Watson sure are pulling the weight for me tonight. They’re on track to score almost 8 whole points combined.”

Seconds later on the very next play was the 35 yard TD. Everyone lol’d. I said “I’m gonna go back to the well on that one later. 

Then Fuller started getting more passes and I started grumbling about that. After one of his big catches I said “Watson better end up spooning Fuller to end this night, I think he’s in love”. 

Seconds later the very next play was the 30 yard TD. 

So maybe I have a Midas touch...

• Like 1

I went with Nyheim Hines instead of Williams. I thought that Hines might get more receiving yards, but the passing game was off last night. It's OK because I didn't lose any money (free game) and daily fantasy doesn't do playoffs since it's a different line up each week. I did have Hilton but he was on a pitch count and didn't add much. 

Edited by teganslaw
adding an extra word to be clearer

Ugly stretch for the 49ers defense starts this weekend. Green Bay, Baltimore, New Orleans... I’m considering sitting them over that span. FAs are:

Carolina, KC, Minnesota, NYJ, Seattle, Jacksonville, Philly, Dallas, Green Bay and the rest are garbage. None of those teams have overwhelmingly favorable matchups and are a far cry from the 49ers. 

If I make a switch this week I’m probably limited to a 4PM or later defense (Jags, Cowboys, Green Bay) so I can see if Hollister is worth holding onto after the 1PM games. 

Definitely going to make a switch next week for sure. Someone talk me into something here because all these options make me uneasy. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Ugly stretch for the 49ers defense starts this weekend. Green Bay, Baltimore, New Orleans... I’m considering sitting them over that span. FAs are:

Carolina, KC, Minnesota, NYJ, Seattle, Jacksonville, Philly, Dallas, Green Bay and the rest are garbage. None of those teams have overwhelmingly favorable matchups and are a far cry from the 49ers. 

If I make a switch this week I’m probably limited to a 4PM or later defense (Jags, Cowboys, Green Bay) so I can see if Hollister is worth holding onto after the 1PM games. 

Definitely going to make a switch next week for sure. Someone talk me into something here because all these options make me uneasy. 

I will go with Philly first - weeks 13, 14 and 15, they have good match ups and an aggressive DC. Then, NYJ or Green Bay, they afford you 2 good match ups in weeks 13 and 14, and then you stream again. In good match ups, as long as you are not docked for yardage over 400 yards like one of my leagues that does negative points for over 400 yards given up by a D, the Jets seem to produce points since they seem to be more aggressive.

GB has gone into a zone mode and unlike the first 3 games of the season where they were rolling as a defensive unit, their aggression is not the same, maybe they will be different after their bye week, important to watch. No aggression, not many INTs or defensive scoring.

Punts don't cut it for defensive fantasy points, though they should, maybe I will suggest and possibly implement a system for 0.5 pt per punt forced by a D next time as commish in the Colts elite league next year. :) 

Don't be surprised though if the 49ers D gets double digit points consistently because that unit is very talented to have a good floor. Btw, IMO, Hollister is definitely worth holding on to, it is just the nature of the Seahawks offense, run, roll out with RW for run or pass, use 6 OL or a TE that rolls out for quick catches to keep the chains moving. 

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

He wasn’t a scratch, but they didn’t give him much work. He was in on a KR because he had a penalty against him. 

Williams had a team season high in carries last night. Even Hines seemed to get less work than normal. In a run-heavy gameplan. 

I don’t even know anymore. I’m sticking by my original decree though: no more Colts RBs under this staff after this season. 

Did anyone catch them say they expect him to be out about a month on the broadcast last night? That would mean he could be subject to return around weeks 15 and 16 in the playoffs. I’m still skeptical of that, but I guess I’ll roster him until we hear any different. He’s gonna be a dead roster spot some weeks until he gets ruled out, so hopefully they keep him listed as out so he stays in the IR spot without getting in the way of other acquisitions. 

So I have to tell the story of how last night progressed. In our league we have a Facebook group chat with everyone in it. I was watching Watson and Hopkins quiet first half and starting to stew. Finally I got fed up and went “Boy Hopkins and Watson sure are pulling the weight for me tonight. They’re on track to score almost 8 whole points combined.”

Seconds later on the very next play was the 35 yard TD. Everyone lol’d. I said “I’m gonna go back to the well on that one later. 

Then Fuller started getting more passes and I started grumbling about that. After one of his big catches I said “Watson better end up spooning Fuller to end this night, I think he’s in love”. 

Seconds later the very next play was the 30 yard TD. 

So maybe I have a Midas touch...

It is called reverse jinx, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Never works against the Patriots though. No SB has gone to OT, no problem we will take it to OT and win it. Haven't won a SB since 2004 as a 2nd seed, no problem. No SB won with a deficit of 10 or more, no problem, we got this. No way in this modern era is a team winning a SB scoring just 13 pts, no problem, we got this.

I started Fuller yesterday in a 0.5 PPR league and needless to say, I am a happy man today. :) 

Weeks 15 and 16 for the Colts, which are prime fantasy playoff weeks, are against the Bucs and Saints, 2 top 5 run Ds, and not sure if Marlon Mack will be back by then and not sure if any Colts RB will help you much those 2 weeks either. 

Managed to pull out a win despite the Steelers best efforts to screw me over...

Although I now have a real, real ugly problem at RB on my hands if Samuels doesn’t get work when Conner is hurt. I can’t pick up another Steelers RB, and the FA market at this point is junk. 

It’s also time to admit that I have a pretty significant TE problem. Waller has faded away and it’s time to let go of the fear of benching him. Problem is there’s really no one to bench him for. My Monday waiver wire research should be quite the plate full tomorrow. 

14 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Managed to pull out a win despite the Steelers best efforts to screw me over...

Although I now have a real, real ugly problem at RB on my hands if Samuels doesn’t get work when Conner is hurt. I can’t pick up another Steelers RB, and the FA market at this point is junk. 

It’s also time to admit that I have a pretty significant TE problem. Waller has faded away and it’s time to let go of the fear of benching him. Problem is there’s really no one to bench him for. My Monday waiver wire research should be quite the plate full tomorrow. 

Outside your top 3, such is the TE life.  Waller has the best upside over anything out there.