Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fantasy Football Advise 2019 Edition Ask Here

26 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Cook and Mattison out of practice again today, ratcheting up the intrigue and the stakes. 

If I had to guess I’d say they will hold Cook out. With his injury history and two popping up recently may as well be as safe as they can with him before the playoffs. I’d expect that announcement tomorrow. 

Mattison I bet they label a game time decision and really leave people making the call with he and Boone in a lurch. It Mattison doesn’t practice tomorrow I’d really rather look at him as doubtful for Monday, but I don’t see any way they rule him out at this point until game time. 

Good luck to anyone in that situation. I think I roll with Mack and Parker because of the uncertainty that takes place too late to cover my own * if Mattison isn’t out. 

That is what I am afraid of because Zimmer doesn't care about your fantasy line up, he cares more about how he affects the game planning of the Packers without showing his cards too early.

I have both DeAndre Washington and Mike Boone in a particular league, so I have that dilemma too.

Plus, what are your thoughts on waiver wire priority during the playoffs still being in inverse order of standings? A lot of leagues change it, once playoffs happen. If a #6 or #5 seed is just 1 game behind a #2 or #1 seed, if they both have made the playoffs, it makes sense to do a rolling waivers, starting with the playoffs. You can make a claim but once you do, you go to the back of the line and it does not re-set every week. So, if a #1 or #2 seed had Dalvin Cook, why should they be penalized if they do not make many waiver moves but lose out on the handcuff to the handcuff because of waiver priority in week 16 and the lower seeds always get first dibs despite having just as good a team. 

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is what I am afraid of because Zimmer doesn't care about your fantasy line up, he cares more about how he affects the game planning of the Packers without showing his cards too early.

I have both DeAndre Washington and Mike Boone in a particular league, so I have that dilemma too.

Plus, what are your thoughts on waiver wire priority during the playoffs still being in inverse order of standings? A lot of leagues change it, once playoffs happen. If a #6 or #5 seed is just 1 game behind a #2 or #1 seed, if they both have made the playoffs, it makes sense to do a rolling waivers, starting with the playoffs. You can make a claim but once you do, you go to the back of the line and it does not re-set every week. So, if a #1 or #2 seed had Dalvin Cook, why should they be penalized if they do not make many waiver moves but lose out on the handcuff to the handcuff because of waiver priority in week 16 and the lower seeds always get first dibs despite having just as good a team. 

Yahoo (I run 3 leagues with them and 1 with the NFL fantasy. I like Yahoo’s system better, but I like NFL’s fantasy coverage better. Next year I may use the NFL app just for news. It’s like Yahoo has phoned it in entirely this week because most players have already abandoned) switched to rolling all season. Which I personally don’t care for, but as a commissioner, and helping run a league with 20 teams I like to keep things competitive. Keep those struggling teams in position to get some help that they may need. Switching to rolling in the playoffs isn’t a terrible idea, but how would the order be decided in that week?

The major change this year that has got me really steamed is they made all tiebreakers points. Used to head to head record was considered and then points if those two teams split. If we play twice and I beat you twice and we finish with the same record and you get in because you have more points than I do what was even the point of having the matchups? I beat you twice. That counts for nothing? It made the tiebreakers late in the season FAR more interesting. 

Each week I write a weekly recap of what went on. Results from each matchup, who did well, who did not, go over the standings, and do a preview of the upcoming matchups. In years past once we got to week 10 and started really looking at the playoff tiebreakers with head to head wins and whatnot it all got really interesting. 

This year not so much. It was a lot of “X has to win out because he’s screwed on points with a tie”. But that’s a whole different sidebar... 

I had no idea Washington was starting this week. None. Because I had him on my team and his little news bubble hasn’t updated since Sunday. Like I said, yahoo has phoned it in this week. I cut him yesterday to pick up Mattison or else I’d have been considering him as well. 

I think you go with Washington. You stand less chance of Boone and Mattison torpedoing you too late to do anything about it, and the Chargers have struggled against the run. And there’s really no one to vulture carries from Washington. 

I’m really upset at myself for missing the Jacobs news until now. 

I think at this point the best thing that could happen to me would be to have Julio Jones be a game time scratch because my opponent, being in Australia, probably wouldn’t get her lineup set in time to avoid that, and I could bench him for Parker and play at least one of these RBs I feel should be played somewhere. I know there is a 0% chance Jones misses though, so I’ll just keep wringing my hands in worry until it’s time for the regret once the games start. haha

13 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yahoo (I run 3 leagues with them and 1 with the NFL fantasy. I like Yahoo’s system better, but I like NFL’s fantasy coverage better. Next year I may use the NFL app just for news. It’s like Yahoo has phoned it in entirely this week because most players have already abandoned) switched to rolling all season. Which I personally don’t care for, but as a commissioner, and helping run a league with 20 teams I like to keep things competitive. Keep those struggling teams in position to get some help that they may need. Switching to rolling in the playoffs isn’t a terrible idea, but how would the order be decided in that week?

The major change this year that has got me really steamed is they made all tiebreakers points. Used to head to head record was considered and then points if those two teams split. If we play twice and I beat you twice and we finish with the same record and you get in because you have more points than I do what was even the point of having the matchups? I beat you twice. That counts for nothing? It made the tiebreakers late in the season FAR more interesting. 

Each week I write a weekly recap of what went on. Results from each matchup, who did well, who did not, go over the standings, and do a preview of the upcoming matchups. In years past once we got to week 10 and started really looking at the playoff tiebreakers with head to head wins and whatnot it all got really interesting. 

This year not so much. It was a lot of “X has to win out because he’s screwed on points with a tie”. But that’s a whole different sidebar... 

I had no idea Washington was starting this week. None. Because I had him on my team and his little news bubble hasn’t updated since Sunday. Like I said, yahoo has phoned it in this week. I cut him yesterday to pick up Mattison or else I’d have been considering him as well. 

I think you go with Washington. You stand less chance of Boone and Mattison torpedoing you too late to do anything about it, and the Chargers have struggled against the run. And there’s really no one to vulture carries from Washington. 

I’m really upset at myself for missing the Jacobs news until now. 

I think at this point the best thing that could happen to me would be to have Julio Jones be a game time scratch because my opponent, being in Australia, probably wouldn’t get her lineup set in time to avoid that, and I could bench him for Parker and play at least one of these RBs I feel should be played somewhere. I know there is a 0% chance Jones misses though, so I’ll just keep wringing my hands in worry until it’s time for the regret once the games start. haha

I was surprised that someone as avid as you missed it. Try the App Fantasy Life by Mathew Berry of ESPN, I got the news as soon as Gruden announced it, faster than yahoo or ESPN or NFL fantasy leagues, at least by 5-10 minutes. @Narcosys was the one who pointed me to that. That is how I picked up Nick Chubb when Carlos Hyde was traded from the Browns last year. 

As far as head-to-head, it works only if you get to play each other twice. It doesn't happen as frequently as you think it does, not with every GM in a 12 or even 10 team league. Having divisions complicates things (that is why we, in our Colts forum league, got rid of it). In a 14 team league, it is perfect, each one plays the other and the points can reflect that if you play till week 13 before the playoffs.

Even if you are head-to-head vs someone, your rosters are not the same from the draft till week 13 before the playoffs, huge differences can happen with players emerging week to week. A player like Melvin Gordon stinking in week 5 or 6 could be balling in week 10. Plus, a waiver pick up like Raheem Mostert or A J Brown in later weeks can swing the head-to-head in a different way later. It is not like the NFL real team roster where there are fewer roster changes and players just start playing better as the year goes on, that is why a head-to-head works in real life football. A fantasy roster undergoes far more changes from week 2 to week 12 (say) and for a head-to-head to mean something, the variances in rosters have to be minimal, IMO, which is not the case in FF. 

@Narcosys @John Waylon @Jared Cisneros

A Half-PPR league with the following format (1 QB, 1 WR/TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 RB, 1 RB, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 DEF), so you can play 4 RBs or 4 WRs or 4 TEs, these are my options:

QB: Wentz

WRs/TEs/RBs: Mark Ingram, Chris Carson, LeVeon Bell, Adrian Peterson, Michael Thomas, Breshaud Perriman, Will Fuller, James Washington, Jacob Hollister, Golden Tate, Tyler Higbee,

Boston Scott

DEF: Ravens

I am going against

QB: Lamar Jackson

WRs/TEs/RBs: Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry, Mostert, Marlon Mack, Mike Boone, DeAndre Washington, Metcalf, McLaurin, Mattison, Hunt, O.J.Howard, G. Ward Jr.

DEF: Steelers

My opponent has put together one heck of a team with the 1st pick of the draft and went RB heavy while I am pass catcher heavy. I have to go a little bit upside heavy to match him.

Thoughts??

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@Narcosys @John Waylon @Jared Cisneros

A Half-PPR league with the following format (1 QB, 1 WR/TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 RB, 1 RB, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 DEF), so you can play 4 RBs or 4 WRs or 4 TEs, these are my options:

QB: Wentz

WRs/TEs/RBs: Mark Ingram, Chris Carson, LeVeon Bell, Adrian Peterson, Michael Thomas, Breshaud Perriman, Will Fuller, James Washington, Jacob Hollister, Golden Tate, Tyler Higbee,

Boston Scott

DEF: Ravens

I am going against

QB: Lamar Jackson

WRs/TEs/RBs: Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry, Mostert, Marlon Mack, Mike Boone, DeAndre Washington, Metcalf, McLaurin, Mattison, Hunt, O.J.Howard, G. Ward Jr.

DEF: Steelers

My opponent has put together one heck of a team with the 1st pick of the draft and went RB heavy while I am pass catcher heavy. I have to go a little bit upside heavy to match him.

Thoughts??

Keep what you have in bold, it looks good!

• Like 1

Well, no regret this year. The two teams that I put through both won their games, but the big overall side game for my 20 team league was a wash. Dropping that contest 106.something to what will probably wind up as 170.something. 

She started our defense, and it was taken in my confidence so I couldn’t mirror that, so she got my by 23 on DST, Hopkins soiled the bed yesterday for me while Perriman had a nice game, and once again Kenyan Drake blew the doors off the scoring barn. Waller came along and let me down once again down the stretch like I figured he would, but it didn’t matter. I can’t look back on that matchup with regret, it was just one of those weeks where every starter she played hit. 

Mattison seems likely to miss tomorrow, anyone firing up Boone?

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just went back to back in my Yahoo league. Nobody has done it 6 years, I won by 2 points michael jordan shrug GIF by NBA

done what in 6 years?

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Well, no regret this year. The two teams that I put through both won their games, but the big overall side game for my 20 team league was a wash. Dropping that contest 106.something to what will probably wind up as 170.something. 

She started our defense, and it was taken in my confidence so I couldn’t mirror that, so she got my by 23 on DST, Hopkins soiled the bed yesterday for me while Perriman had a nice game, and once again Kenyan Drake blew the doors off the scoring barn. Waller came along and let me down once again down the stretch like I figured he would, but it didn’t matter. I can’t look back on that matchup with regret, it was just one of those weeks where every starter she played hit. 

Mattison seems likely to miss tomorrow, anyone firing up Boone?

oh ya, tell me about it. One league I'm not going to break 100 in a full ppr, and the other league I might break 115...

12-team League 1: Leading 123 to 63 with my opponent having Mike Boone, half-PPR (should win), my opponent had RW, Carson, Zeke, Hopkins, TY, Redskins defense, enough said

12-team League 2: Lost to Lamar and Barkley with my opponent having Mike Boone but already up 120-100 half-PPR (have lost), Will Fuller and Chris Carson backfired big time

12-team League 3: Leading 103-95 in standard league with me having Mike Boone and my opponent having kicker Dan Bailey (good chance but need it to materialize)

I have never won a 12-team league in my 13 years of playing FF, would be nice to finally get one or more. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

12-team League 1: Leading 123 to 63 with my opponent having Mike Boone, half-PPR (should win), my opponent had RW, Carson, Zeke, Hopkins, TY, Redskins defense, enough said

12-team League 2: Lost to Lamar and Barkley with my opponent having Mike Boone but already up 120-100 half-PPR (have lost), Will Fuller and Chris Carson backfired big time

12-team League 3: Leading 103-95 in standard league with me having Mike Boone and my opponent having kicker Dan Bailey (good chance but need it to materialize)

I have never won a 12-team league in my 13 years of playing FF, would be nice to finally get one or more. 

It is finished. I won 2 out of 3 competitive 12 team leagues, thus winning a 12 team league for the first time in my 13 years of playing FF.

WINNER #1 Seed in regular season - League 1 on NFL.com, half-ppr:

Final roster - Patrick Mahomes (6 pts for passing TD), Mark Ingram, CMC, Tyler Lockett, Terry McLaurin, Breshaud Perriman, Jacob Hollister, Robbie Gould, Seahawks D, D J Chark, Tyler Higbee, Mike Williams, Curtis Samuel, James Washington, Patrick Laird

RUNNER-UP #1 seed in regular season - League 2 on ESPN.COM, half-ppr:

Final roster - Carson Wentz, Mark Ingram, Chris Carson, Michael Thomas, Will Fuller, Breshaud Perriman, Jacob Hollister, Tyler Higbee, James Washington, Adrian Peterson, Golden Tate, LeVeon Bell, Only paid league where I get to choose Sony noise canceling wireless head phones or Apple AirPods for runner up prize. 1st price was a drone or an NFL game day package to any Colts game. 

WINNER - #2 seed in regular season - League 3 at work on YAHOO.COM, standard, first back-to-back winner at work in a league started in 2012:

Final roster - Lamar Jackson, Dalvin Cook, Michael Thomas, Breshaud Perriman, Mark Ingram, Austin Ekeler, Leonard Fournette, D J Chark, Darren Waller, Jacob Hollister, Adrian Peterson, DeAndre Washington, Mike Boone, Robbie Gould, Broncos D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Going back to back, I am the 1st to do it but I had Lamar so I was lucky. I had Luck last year.

Yeah, even if it is a casual league, going back-to-back is hard to do like it is hard to throw 29 out of 30 vs air for a QB (oh wait, Brees just did it vs the Colts :)).

Enjoy the bragging rights for a year till it starts all over again!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

RUNNER-UP #1 seed in regular season - League 2 on ESPN.COM, half-ppr:

Final roster - Carson Wentz, Mark Ingram, Chris Carson, Michael Thomas, Will Fuller, Breshaud Perriman, Jacob Hollister, Tyler Higbee, James Washington, Adrian Peterson, Golden Tate, LeVeon Bell, Only paid league where I get to choose Sony noise canceling wireless head phones or Apple AirPods for runner up prize. 1st price was a drone or an NFL game day package to any Colts game. 

Paid league with prizes instead of cash? Wouldn't like that. 

10 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Paid league with prizes instead of cash? Wouldn't like that. 

Yes, it’s my boss’s league where I manage his team and get the prizes, generous man my boss. It’s a fund raising for missions work for my boss’s friend, the commish, and my boss is one of 12 plus parties that contribute $250 Minimum to the cause (some do more) though only 12 play. I contribute what I can and doesn’t have to be what my boss does, it’s out of goodwill. Weekly high score prizes are Anker power bank, Amazon gift cards, restaurant gift cards etc., which I won 2 of them this year before the playoffs.

Good cause, IMO, and a competitive league that comes with it. My boss has everyone hosted at my workplace conference room for draft day that happens the Tuesday after Labor Day. We conference with Vikings, Broncos fan friends of the commissioner that also contribute to the cause on draft day while drafting.

• Like 3

On 12/20/2019 at 6:53 AM, John Waylon said:

I dunno, boys. If Mattison is out it’s hard to turn down an RB you know is going to get a ton of touches against a defense that isn’t great against the run. But everyone is touting Parker and Mack as hot hands to start this week. I do believe one of them is going to come up short and post a sub-10 point total. The signs for both to do it are there. We’ve definitely got the table set for some Tuesday morning regret.

I hope you didn’t start Boone because my fear of the Vikings going down a score or two and Boone not getting catches materialized. Athlete without vision is what I saw in Boone, a college WR converted to RB. Even Hoyer looked good in relief vs Steelers but stunk it up when he had to start vs Dolphins, just like Boone looked good vs the Chargers.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I hope you didn’t start Boone because my fear of the Vikings going down a score or two and Boone not getting catches materialized. Athlete without vision is what I saw in Boone, a college WR converted to RB. Even Hoyer looked good in relief vs Steelers but stunk it up when he had to start vs Dolphins, just like Boone looked good vs the Chargers.

Unfortunately I started Boone, but ultimately it didnt matter.  My entire starting lineup decided to have their collective worst games, all in the same week.  Wilson, Carson, Hopkins, K. Allen, etc.  Even if they had had average days I would have walked away with it.  
I have accepted it and the $ I got was a nice consolation.  Also, this is a keeper league, so I will get To keep one of Carson, Henry or Hopkins.  Already looking forward to next season.

• Like 1