Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day 3 (7-27)

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Perhaps he starts on the PUp list to start season, designated to return after the 6 week period. Best outlook is the young guys show there worth and hold down the fort until then and we get a rested Sheard for the stretch run. It also alllows Sheard to give the young kids a breather as well after week 6 if he can make it back. Just would give a boost all around if it works out like that. 

He is not eligible for PUP.  He got hurt in camp practice which means that designation is off the table.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

He is not eligible for PUP.  He got hurt in camp practice which means that designation is off the table.

Yes that is correct. I just read that in Bowen’s recap from today.

Great recap from Kevin Bowen. The quote from Ebron stands out. He is working on his blocking so he can be on the field more.

• Like 1

Not really concerned about Campbell's muffs. He didn't return at OSU, so still learning. Contrary to what a lot folks think, it takes practice and skill to be a returner. He's got plenty of time to learn, and he's not going anywhere. Hines IIRC had issues early too last year, but they seem to be giving him a shot again this year. That's why guys like Rogers and Pascal bring value outside of the WR corp.

I wonder if Sheard's injury will impact any plans for Banogu at SAM. I'm a big fan of him focusing 100% on DE anyway. 

I hate the slow roll with Luck. Not because I think he should be out there just to be out there, but more because I hate that the young WRs are not getting the best targets. Looking forward to him getting back into the swing of things.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Not really concerned about Campbell's muffs. He didn't return at OSU, so still learning. Contrary to what a lot folks think, it takes practice and skill to be a returner. He's got plenty of time to learn, and he's not going anywhere. Hines IIRC had issues early too last year, but they seem to be giving him a shot again this year. That's why guys like Rogers and Pascal bring value outside of the WR corp.

I wonder if Sheard's injury will impact any plans for Banogu at SAM. I'm a big fan of him focusing 100% on DE anyway. 

I hate the slow roll with Luck. Not because I think he should be out there just to be out there, but more because I hate that the young WRs are not getting the best targets. Looking forward to him getting back into the swing of things.

He was a returner his Junior year and he muffed a couple punts bad enough for them to pull him off completely.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He was a returner his Junior year and he muffed a couple punts bad enough for them to pull him off completely.

I thought he was a returner his soph year due to injury of another, and during his junior season they wanted him to focus on WR and let Weber handle KRs?

40 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

That’s fine. Don’t try and fit a square peg into a round hole. If that’s not his game then so be it.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

That’s fine. Don’t try and fit a square peg into a round hole. If that’s not his game then so be it.

The way my buddy tells it (he's a crazy OSU fan), is that Parris was pushed into action his soph season (2016) for returns because of an injury or something, and did very well. He was becoming WR1 his junior year (led all WRs) and they didn't want him to continue to both return and be WR1. He led all WRs his senior year too, 

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I thought he was a returner his soph year due to injury of another, and during his junior season they wanted him to focus on WR and let Weber handle KRs?

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

The way my buddy tells it (he's a crazy OSU fan), is that Parris was pushed into action his soph season (2016) for returns because of an injury or something, and did very well. He was becoming WR1 his junior year (led all WRs) and they didn't want him to continue to both return and be WR1. He led all WRs his senior year too, 

Yes I completely mis-stated about him being a punt returner. Campbell had a dreadful game against Penn State in 2017 (fumble and multiple drops) and I thought he had a fumble in the return game as well, but he didn't. He was benched not even half way through the game and Urban had him in the dog house, it seemed like, the rest of the season. JT Barrett graduating and Kevin Wilson getting demoted for Ryan Day helped OSU tremendously last year. Haskins and Day's offensive scheme really helped Paris become the WR he is now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Yes I completely mis-stated about him being a punt returner. Campbell had a dreadful game against Penn State in 2017 (fumble and multiple drops) and I thought he had a fumble in the return game as well, but he didn't. He was benched not even half way through the game and Urban had him in the dog house, it seemed like, the rest of the season. JT Barrett graduating and Kevin Wilson getting demoted for Ryan Day helped OSU tremendously last year. Haskins and Day's offensive scheme really helped Paris become the WR he is now. 

Thanks for the clarification. I pinged my buddy also after replying earlier. He said Parris was top 10 in KR average nationally in 2016, and wish he would have stayed at KR lol. Also said in 2017 that Parris had a lot of "growing pains" around maturity. Not sure what exactly that meant, but I took it he might have been in the doghouse for more than just dropped passes :-). Regardless, IIRC, he still led all WRs in yards both 17 and 18, right?

8 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Thanks for the clarification. I pinged my buddy also after replying earlier. He said Parris was top 10 in KR average nationally in 2016, and wish he would have stayed at KR lol. Also said in 2017 that Parris had a lot of "growing pains" around maturity. Not sure what exactly that meant, but I took it he might have been in the doghouse for more than just dropped passes :-). Regardless, IIRC, he still led all WRs in yards both 17 and 18, right?

He graduated high school at 16. I believe he had a red shirt year his first year at OSU because he was so young. Remember he used to be a RB and converted to WR. Everything I have read on him maturity has always been his strong point. He did graduate OSU and played football while having a baby. He seems by all accounts to have a strong relationship and is basically living like a married couple with his girlfriend. Just seems like a very mature kid already handling a lot of responsibilities.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He graduated high school at 16. I believe he had a red shirt year his first year at OSU because he was so young. Remember he used to be a RB and converted to WR. Everything I have read on him maturity has always been his strong point. He did graduate OSU and played football while having a baby. He seems by all accounts to have a strong relationship and is basically living like a married couple with his girlfriend. Just seems like a very mature kid already handling a lot of responsibilities.

Perhaps having a child was part of the growing pains that my bud mentioned. And yup, I knew he RS'd his first year, but didn't know he graduated at 16. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jskinnz said:

IR, designated to return perhaps after week 6, I suppose that’s what I meant to say. Thanks for correction 

13 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

He did, but Victor, Hill, Dixon, Mclaurin were all in that 400-500 yard range with him. JT and that RPO scheme that Urban liked really hindered the WR's. Haskins should have been the starter in 17' but Urban was loyal to JT, and again, he fit Urban's style of offense that he wanted to run.

I think it was more that his play got to him mentally and he dug himself a hole he really couldn't get out of and it showed. The same thing happened to Austin Mack last year and he never seemed to recover either. He had a few bad drops in the TCU game and they yanked him and he never seemed to fully recover last year like Paris the year before.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

this is what i've mentioned a few times in other threads (working him outside). 

in a ballard/reich interview, they talked about him getting work outside.

so long as he can catch the ball and run the routes, he has a crazy high ceiling.

if he can beat the press, he has enough size to play x. he absolutely has enough speed/agility to play Z. 

my early, but long term prediction on Parris..... Year 1 he'll do a little of everything, but will spend most time in the slot. Year 2, increased outside work. Year 3 and beyond, he gradualy takes over Z as TY's speed fades. And hopefully TY moved inside to slot. I think he could extend his career by several years moving to slot. and he'd be a boss doing it. he's already running all over the field, so he shouldn't have any issue with moving over.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He did, but Victor, Hill, Dixon, Mclaurin were all in that 400-500 yard range with him. JT and that RPO scheme that Urban liked really hindered the WR's. Haskins should have been the starter in 17' but Urban was loyal to JT, and again, he fit Urban's style of offense that he wanted to run.

I think it was more that his play got to him mentally and he dug himself a hole he really couldn't get out of and it showed. The same thing happened to Austin Mack last year and he never seemed to recover either. He had a few bad drops in the TCU game and they yanked him and he never seemed to fully recover last year like Paris the year before.

thanks for insight. 

you're hitting on a point discussed right after the draft (OSU's O not really being a great O, and very limited, to develop WRs in). several of the talking heads said basically that OSU WRs are basically a wild card due to the scheme and pigeon holing.

i think Parris will be just fine though. the others, IDK.

4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

thanks for insight. 

you're hitting on a point discussed right after the draft (OSU's O not really being a great O, and very limited, to develop WRs in). several of the talking heads said basically that OSU WRs are basically a wild card due to the scheme and pigeon holing.

i think Parris will be just fine though. the others, IDK.

I'll say I think it gets better for them now that Day is running the team and they will now employ more of an NFL playbook as opposed to Urban's run heavy/pass option offense. OSU has never had a problem getting 4/5 star WR's, and Day has already had a few commitments for next year and beyond, but I look for his incoming QB's to be much better than what Urban and Tressel brought in. 

And yes Parris' best football is still ahead of him and I'm glad it's with the Colts.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'll say I think it gets better for them now that Day is running the team and they will now employ more of an NFL playbook as opposed to Urban's run heavy/pass option offense. OSU has never had a problem getting 4/5 star WR's, and Day has already had a few commitments for next year and beyond, but I look for his incoming QB's to be much better than what Urban and Tressel brought in. 

And yes Parris' best football is still ahead of him and I'm glad it's with the Colts.

they get a lot of high star kids for sure. i agree on Day being a good thing for the WRs.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Something does feel weird with Luck. Hopefully by next week he will be participating more. I feel like he should be out there after practice throwing to Funchess, Cain, and Campbell. Not as worried with DF as I am the other two. I know Luck has mentioned he has had sit downs with DF to go over the play book.

I think the Colts are just being overly cautious after the whole Durant thing.  He's there, he's throwing and running full drills, just not doing full practices.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I think the Colts are just being overly cautious after the whole Durant thing.  He's there, he's throwing and running full drills, just not doing full practices.

It has nothing to do with the Durant thing.  Teams are cautious like this every year during camp and every year somehow people seem to forget that and over react to someone missing practices.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

This is the time of year that any minor pains or injuries will often hold you out of practice.  Especially vets.  

I just finished with Kevin Bowen’s podcast. He is saying the same thing. He said it’s getting a little weird and strange. He mentioned it’s hard to get a read on the receiving core because Luck isn’t out there on in 11 on 11 drills. He also mentioned don’t look for him to play at all in the first pre season game.

i mean what is so hard about going out and doing a few passing routes with your receivers after practice. Why was it Brissett and not Luck. I know we are only one week in but I hope it doesn’t cause us to get off to a slow start. It really hurts guys like Campbell, Funchess, and Cain.