Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts working out Johnathan Cyprien today

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001032528/article/safety-johnathan-cyprien-working-out-for-colts

Makes sense to look at depth at box safety with Geathers sitting out until training camp and Farley being dinged up again already... don't think Cyprien would be asking for much that deep into free agency and the race at those safety spots is wide open next to Hooker.

I remember really liking him in that draft. 

I agree...if the knee is good...sign him. He was a starting S until he missed last season. Certainly would be competitive with the guys they have right now at SS.

Plus, it sounds like he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder after getting hurt and then released...so you know what you are getting from that standpont. And he should have some useful information on two division rivals.

I say sign him and let it play out.

• Like 1

I said it in the other thread...but if the knee checks out...sign him and let him compete for snaps. Sounds like he is extra motivated...and depth is always good to have. Plus the guy knows both JAC and TEN.

Seems similar to the Ware signing as a player who has been a starter but has had injury issues. 

I'd be surprised it the Colts signed him now. This is the time of year that they work out guys to see how they are physically and then they keep tabs on them in case there is an injury in camp or early in the season. Much like Inman last year.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The Gaethers injury concern is there and always will be until proven otherwise.  If his knee checks out this should be a nice veteran signing that will certainly improve the depth and experience at the position. 

I don't think this is entirely about Geathers.  I think it's a combination of Geathers and Farley both sitting out.  Who do we have starting at SS in practices with both of them out?

7 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I don't think this is entirely about Geathers.  I think it's a combination of Geathers and Farley both sitting out.  Who do we have starting at SS in practices with both of them out?

Odum and Hooker are taking the majority of snaps at S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Odum and Hooker are taking the majority of snaps at S

Thanks!  So we're practicing against two free safeties.  That might actually be good practice if there's no tackling going on, but I think we're going to want more of a traditional SS by the time the pads are being put on.

They might sign him.  Almost anytime I hear somebody got a slight "Clean Up" of their knee they miss significant time.  That same language was used with Eric Swoope and he missed an entire season and really wasn't even able to participate in OTAs the next season and it lingered on him for all of 2019.  Hopefully this won't happen with Geathers but I haven't seen anything that is slight that these doctors do to your knee.