Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WarGhost 2019 NFL Mock Free Agency

Hi all! I'm back again to put out my mock free agency, which I have been putting off for too long but finally feel as though I have what I want. Without further ado, let's jump into this!

Free Agency: ($101 Million Current Cap Room)

Before we begin, lets all take a moment to remember that Ballard said he would value each and every player separately and never overpay. However, that doesn't imply that he won't go out and spend big money, just that each player has a price tag. Therefore, no player is ruled out, and with so much cap room, we can get quite a few quality players. Also, I will not be giving any guaranteed money on my contracts, as it is extremely unpredictable.

Priority Free Agents:

Trey Flowers, DE:

Contract: 4 years, $16 Million per year, $64 Million total

Overview: Flowers has turned himself into quite the EDGE defender in recent years, and his fit with the Colts is perfect. He would slide in immediately and upgrade the pass rush and the run defense. This is a no-brainer.

Landon Collins, SS:

Contract: 3 years, $9 Million per year, $27 Million total

Overview: Collins would fill a much needed role on defense, playing as a box safety/linebacker hybrid. He has the skillset to take away opposing tight ends from this role, and it will open up Hooker and the next guy on this list to make plays.

Adrian Amos, FS:

Contract: 3 years, $7.5 Million per year, $22.5 Million total

Overview: Amos is an amazing ball hawk, and pairing him with Collins and Hooker would create a 4-2-5 defense and take away any potential for a deep ball, freeing up corners to play more aggressively.

Tyrell Williams,WR:

Contract: 2 years, $10 Million per year, $20 Million total.

Overview: Williams is exactly what the Colts need, a tall possession wide receiver who can dominate as a #2 beside Hilton. Williams is going to garner a lot of attention, but I can easily see him choosing a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Conclusion:

After signing multiple other lower tier free agents, I can see the Colts having spent around $60 Million total in free agency, which would bring our Cap room to a still-significant $41 Million. Collins, Amos, and Flowers would take this defense to the next level, and adding a 3tech DT in the early rounds of the draft will make this defense extremely formidable. Adding a linebacker who specializes in pass defense will effectively force offenses to run on us, which we proved last year wasn't an easy task. Williams and Hilton would head up a revamped receiver room, with an addition of a mid-round WR and Deon Cain's return giving us some quality depth. Overall, the defense would shift to a 4-2-5 that plays similar to a 4-3, with Collins playing a hybrid LB role. Our corners wouldn't need much deep speed with Amos and Hooker back there, and our offense would only get better with the only weak spot being solved at WR. 

Thoughts?

:colts:

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

Hi all! I'm back again to put out my mock free agency, which I have been putting off for too long but finally feel as though I have what I want. Without further ado, let's jump into this!

Free Agency: ($101 Million Current Cap Room)

Before we begin, lets all take a moment to remember that Ballard said he would value each and every player separately and never overpay. However, that doesn't imply that he won't go out and spend big money, just that each player has a price tag. Therefore, no player is ruled out, and with so much cap room, we can get quite a few quality players. Also, I will not be giving any guaranteed money on my contracts, as it is extremely unpredictable.

Priority Free Agents:

Trey Flowers, DE:

Contract: 4 years, $16 Million per year, $64 Million total

Overview: Flowers has turned himself into quite the EDGE defender in recent years, and his fit with the Colts is perfect. He would slide in immediately and upgrade the pass rush and the run defense. This is a no-brainer.

Landon Collins, SS:

Contract: 3 years, $9 Million per year, $27 Million total

Overview: Collins would fill a much needed role on defense, playing as a box safety/linebacker hybrid. He has the skillset to take away opposing tight ends from this role, and it will open up Hooker and the next guy on this list to make plays.

Adrian Amos, FS:

Contract: 3 years, $7.5 Million per year, $22.5 Million total

Overview: Amos is an amazing ball hawk, and pairing him with Collins and Hooker would create a 4-2-5 defense and take away any potential for a deep ball, freeing up corners to play more aggressively.

Tyrell Williams,WR:

Contract: 2 years, $10 Million per year, $20 Million total.

Overview: Williams is exactly what the Colts need, a tall possession wide receiver who can dominate as a #2 beside Hilton. Williams is going to garner a lot of attention, but I can easily see him choosing a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

Conclusion:

After signing multiple other lower tier free agents, I can see the Colts having spent around $60 Million total in free agency, which would bring our Cap room to a still-significant $41 Million. Collins, Amos, and Flowers would take this defense to the next level, and adding a 3tech DT in the early rounds of the draft will make this defense extremely formidable. Adding a linebacker who specializes in pass defense will effectively force offenses to run on us, which we proved last year wasn't an easy task. Williams and Hilton would head up a revamped receiver room, with an addition of a mid-round WR and Deon Cain's return giving us some quality depth. Overall, the defense would shift to a 4-2-5 that plays similar to a 4-3, with Collins playing a hybrid LB role. Our corners wouldn't need much deep speed with Amos and Hooker back there, and our offense would only get better with the only weak spot being solved at WR. 

Thoughts?

:colts:

Every player you list here are getting 4-5 years at much higher $$$ per year than you have listed.    Sorry.

26 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You have less than zero understanding of the economics of FA?
I mean that in the nicest possible way.  :spit:

I have been doing mock offseasons for years now, I know what I’m doing. I have each player what value they should have and what we should do. Each of these are realistic, especially with our given cap space and the need to spend a certain amount by next season due to less spending the past few years. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Every player you list here are getting 4-5 years at much higher $$$ per year than you have listed.    Sorry.

I took all of my numbers from Spotrac. 

Now, however, Collins and Flowers are both gone, so I’m still hoping for both Amos and Williams!

Here are my honest thoughts:

1. Given  Ballard’s track record there’s nothing to suggest he’s going to shell out that type of money. He’s already explained that he doesn’t necessarily have to spend it the way people are saying he has to.

2. Collins and Amos? I’m not sure why anyone would sign two starting caliber safeties that play the same role. Amos is a box safety. We have Hooker at FS. Ballard would not sign both. That’s just wasting money.

3. Sounds like Collins is going to the Redskins, and Flowers to the Lions

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Here are my honest thoughts:

1. Given  Ballard’s track record there’s nothing to suggest he’s going to shell out that type of money. He’s already explained that he doesn’t necessarily have to spend it the way people are saying he has to.

2. Collins and Amos? I’m not sure why anyone would sign two starting caliber safeties that play the same role. Amos is a box safety. We have Hooker at FS. Ballard would not sign both. That’s just wasting money.

3. Sounds like Collins is going to the Redskins, and Flowers to the Lions

1) I see that, but still, I feel like Ballard is holding back and either this year or next he's going to come out swinging big and take us to the Super Bowl

2) Amos is more of a free safety, though he did play SS for the Bears. However, he fits better as a deep coverage guy than an enforcer in the middle.

3) Sad, but I definitely didn't see Collins getting that much and Flowers is looking like an extremely long deal so as much as I like him I'm ok with it.

Thanks for you opinions and not bashing my ability to mock! lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I haven't seen what he's getting yet, do you know? I still think it'll be around 16 Million

Landon Collins  six-year deal worth $84 million (45 Guaranteed)

"The Lions are slated to be adding pass rusher Trey Flowers on a five-year contract, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports. The deal, which reunites Flowers with coach Matt Patricia, is expected to be worth more than $16 or $17 million per season."

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Landon Collins  six-year deal worth $84 million (45 Guaranteed)

"The Lions are slated to be adding pass rusher Trey Flowers on a five-year contract, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports. The deal, which reunites Flowers with coach Matt Patricia, is expected to be worth more than $16 or $17 million per season."

So I was close on Flowers, I'll take it. haha . But wow, Landon was so overpayed!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I have been doing mock offseasons for years now, I know what I’m doing. I have each player what value they should have and what we should do. Each of these are realistic, especially with our given cap space and the need to spend a certain amount by next season due to less spending the past few years. Thanks!

I took all of my numbers from Spotrac. 

Now, however, Collins and Flowers are both gone, so I’m still hoping for both Amos and Williams!

I think you misread the  Spotrac info.   All if your info is roughly half the years and 50-70 cents on the dollar.   Spotrac is not typically that far off.    I promise.

We weren’t going to sign four of the top FA’s on the market. CB has explained his approach to FA numerous times. Fans with these kinds of expectations are going to be disappointed 

We have been rumored to be interested in Williams. That would make sense looking at his ties to the coaches. I’d love Amos liked him coming out of PSU but I don’t see it 

I think it’s more likely we resign Geathers and draft help on the back end.  Call  me crazy but I get the feeling CB prefers to grow his own building through the draft.  

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you misread the  Spotrac info.   All if your info is roughly half the years and 50-70 cents on the dollar.   Spotrac is not typically that far off.    I promise.

Straight from the source. I dropped a year or two but the numbers were all higher than the Market Value of each.

Flowers:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/trey-flowers-16827/market-value/

Collins:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/landon-collins-16757/market-value/

Amos:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/adrian-amos-16868/market-value/

Williams:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/tyrell-williams-17039/market-value/

To set the record straight, I didn’t expect this all to happen. It was a mock free agency, not a prediction. This is what I would have wished for, as every move would have bettered the team immensely. I don’t want you all to assume I don’t know my stuff haha Thanks for the comments though!

I think it’s funny that posters keep saying oh next year Ballard will come out swinging. Ballard himself has said the opposite but yet people just won’t believe him. Here goes another free agency period and we will again be a team that waits for the initial stupid contracts to go through and deal with talented players that fit us and make since for us. His approach has been solid. We will yet again get some guys people will not like and mid way through the season start talking about how they love them. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I think it’s funny that posters keep saying oh next year Ballard will come out swinging. Ballard himself has said the opposite but yet people just won’t believe him. Here goes another free agency period and we will again be a team that waits for the initial stupid contracts to go through and deal with talented players that fit us and make since for us. His approach has been solid. We will yet again get some guys people will not like and mid way through the season start talking about how they love them. 

I agree, but a guy can dream can’t he? Lol

16 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I agree, but a guy can dream can’t he? Lol

No I agree and was not attacking you solely. Just see multiple posts that go against the grain and sooner or later I’m hoping the reality sets in. Maybe a year or two down the road he will spend a little higher on one guy that could be the key factor but even then I doubt it. He is stern in what he believes and so far.... he is solid. Ebron was a pro bowler. Denico was a stud as well. I see us signing a few guys and the mid tier level that will make impacts for sure. He wants depth and you don’t get that by signing record deals for one guy. Collins probably won’t be in DC in 3 years. This happens every year. Teams get crazy and collapse with spending. 

38 minutes ago, akcolt said:

A wish list isn’t the same as a mock 

When you have as much money as we do, anything can be a mock haha but I understand where you’re coming from, I probably should have gone with a different thread title. Thanks for mentioning that

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Yeah Ballard seems to be pretty no nonsense in his comments.  He did say he would spend big if he felt it was the right move, but first and foremost these guys have to be good fits for our locker room.  That is hard for any of us to judge on the outside, probably harder than the straight up talent or even the value of the deal needed.  But it's fun to guess and WarGhost took a shot at it, I enjoyed reading his post for what it is, entertaining and fantasy while we wait, likely longer than most, to hear who we actually get to add.  It is ALL entertaining for entertainment purposes.  The biggest jokes are mock drafts, but I still enjoy reading them even though none of them are every remotely close past the first few picks.  They DO do a reasonably good job of showing you the expected range of where guys might go and about 70% of the time, the better Mocks are within 5 picks of where someone goes.  Not high results, but close enough to enjoy readying while we wait for the initially underwhelming results and hope it all works out for us.  

• Thanks 1