Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Franchise tag updates 2019

Rather than multiple threads, which is what I've been doing, let's just post them all here. 

Players tagged so far:

Grady Jarrett

Frank Clark

Jadeveon Clowney

Demarcus Lawrence

Dee Ford

Robbie Gould

Noteworthy players not being tagged:

Landon Collins

Nick Foles

CJ Mosley

In news that should surprise no one...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2019/03/04/jadeveon-clowney-houston-texans-franchise-tag-contract/3056733002/

Edited by Superman

39 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Stupid Tag lol

I agree.  Clowney’s a good player.  But he’s not worth the tag, IMO.

But we’re talking about the same organization that signed Brock Osweiler to a $72M contract (half guaranteed) after less than a full season starting in place of an aging PM.  They’ve made a number of questionable moves.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

But we’re talking about the same organization that signed Brock Osweiler to a $72M contract (half guaranteed) after less than a full season starting in place of an aging PM.  They’ve made a number of questionable moves.

Tagging Clowney isn't questionable, it's a no-brainer. Three years ago, Olivier Vernon got $17m/year after 7.5 sacks; today, the tag for Clowney is $17m. 

I wouldn't trade a first for him, but the Texans tagging him makes perfect sense.

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Hes worth tagging I just hate the tag because I wanted him 

26 minutes ago, Shepman said:

So would you trade 26 and next year's 32 for for Clowney?  I would consider that one.

not a fan of trading future firsts in general, it could be a high pick if something goes wrong.  its only a one year contract too, so i would pass 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jadeveon-clowney-franchise-tag-texans-colts

Interesting article that could be in Ballard's playbook this offseason. Apparently it is a non-exclusive tag, meaning we could offer him a deal that the Texans won't match. Either we end up with a premier edge rusher on a team friendly deal of two years, or the Texans are forced to overpay for him which would hurt them dramatically down the line, especially in a few years when Watson is up for a new contract. Two first rounders is hefty, especially for Ballard. But if he thinks Clowney is a for sure bet and willing to believe we are getting him for a couple 25 and later picks the next few years, he might be willing to take the risk they don't match. 

I don't see him gift wrapping 1st round draft picks, but will be interesting if he or anyone else for that matter make an offer. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jadeveon-clowney-franchise-tag-texans-colts

Interesting article that could be in Ballard's playbook this offseason. Apparently it is a non-exclusive tag, meaning we could offer him a deal that the Texans won't match. Either we end up with a premier edge rusher on a team friendly deal of two years, or the Texans are forced to overpay for him which would hurt them dramatically down the line, especially in a few years when Watson is up for a new contract. As the article mentions the Jags did it with Alex Mack and forced Cleveland to match their offer sheat which was less than ideal. 

Non-exclusive tag, not the transition tag. The Colts would have to send two first rounders to the Texans if they signed Clowney to an offer sheet. I don't think Ballard will be interested.

The Browns used the transition tag on Mack, so even if they hadn't matched the Jags' offer sheet, they weren't receiving any draft pick compensation from the Jags.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Non-exclusive tag, not the transition tag. The Colts would have to send two first rounders to the Texans if they signed Clowney to an offer sheet. I don't think Ballard will be interested.

The Browns used the transition tag on Mack, so even if they hadn't matched the Jags' offer sheet, they weren't receiving any draft pick compensation from the Jags.

I updated that post. I left that out, but understand it. It talks about it in the article. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I updated that post. I left that out, but understand it. It talks about it in the article. 

The article asks the question: What's the downside?

The downside is the Texans don't match, we give up two first rounders, and then Clowney opts out after two years and we can't use the tag to keep him. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

The article asks the question: What's the downside?

The downside is the Texans don't match, we give up two first rounders, and then Clowney opts out after two years and we can't use the tag to keep him. 

Agreed. The best scenario would be an nfc team making the offer and putting the Texans in a tight spot.

3 hours ago, Shepman said:

So would you trade 26 and next year's 32 for for Clowney?  I would consider that one.

No, he isn't a slam dunk player, nor is he highly consistent enough for me. The high cost of the contract is questionable to me let alone adding 2 draft picks. Hard no from me

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I had predicted 5 tags (on an over/under set at 6).

It was exactly 6 (which I think is the average in recent years)

Robbie Gould      San Francisco 49'ers  (kicker)   wasn't listed above. @Superman

Updated.

That list is interesting. Five DL who rush the passer, and one kicker (less than $5m for a team with $70m cap space, so not a premium). The only productive pass rusher under 30 to actually hit the market is Trey Flowers, and he doesn't have a lot of sack production.

• Thanks 1