Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano to Bears

BOTT

13 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Happy for the guy.

I think he's gonna do really well. When he had talent in Baltimore, they had a strong defense (I believe second in the league).

I expect he'll do well

I actually think DC is his niche. His defenses in Indy  generally over-achieved. Last year is a good example. Not much talent on defense, but they kept the Colts close in most games. It was last year's offense, especially the O-Line that was the drag on the team.

36 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I always forget that you won't ever back off supporting Pagano despite his history of poor coaching.

His history of poor coaching? Really?  But yet he still had a winning record.

What you don't understand about Pagano is he is not throwing anyone under the bus and points the finger at himself.  That is what a good head coach does in case you hadn't noticed.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you don't understand about Pagano is he is not throwing anyone under the bus and points the finger at himself.  That is what a good head coach does in case you hadn't noticed.

Yes, he has a history of poor coaching (most of his Indy tenure) and had a winning record due to Luck (which he basically admitted in the link).

A good coach is does more than point the finger at himself, especially when he deserves the blame.

Not going to continue arguing with you, I realize you're prepared to die on this hill for some reason.

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

Yes, he has a history of poor coaching (most of his Indy tenure) and had a winning record due to Luck (which he basically admitted in the link).

A good coach is does more than point the finger at himself, especially when he deserves the blame.

Not going to continue arguing with you, I realize you're prepared to die on this hill for some reason.

Look, I am not going to hash this all over again when all you want is to argue. You have your opinion and I have mine. (die on this hill?)  Just stop the dramatics.

10 minutes ago, colt18 said:

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look, I am not going to hash this all over again when all you want is to argue. You have your opinion and I have mine. (die on this hill?)  Just stop the dramatics.

Maybe he wasn't a great Xs and Os HC, but he was a great motivator as a HC.

He was a good enough HC to win his fair share of games.  He was also a bad enough HC to lose his job.

No denying he is a likable guy.  Good Luck to him in Chicago.  :thmup:

11 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Maybe he wasn't a great Xs and Os HC, but he was a great motivator as a HC.

He was a good enough HC to win his fair share of games.  He was also a bad enough HC to lose his job.

No denying he is a likable guy.  Good Luck to him in Chicago.  :thmup:

He was such a great motivator that he was able to motivate his teams into starting slow....?

8 minutes ago, colt18 said:

He was such a great motivator that he was able to motivate his teams into starting slow....?

I think the slow starts was more a symptom of his strategic deficiencies.

I think all the 4th quarter comebacks showed he kept his teams motivated for 4 quarters, even if he didn't make the best halftime or in-game adjustments.

And yes, Luck gets a lot of credit for those 4th quarter comebacks.  But on the flip-side of that coin, you have to give Luck some of the blame for slow starts and being behind early in games due to his many turnovers early in games.  :dunno:

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

10 of those wins were Arians not him.

7 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I'm not arguing with Lucky as much as I'm pointing out the flaws in supporting Pagano.

And I'm pointing out the flaws in calling him a poor coach.  Or "trash" as someone else said.

He was average at worst.  Average at best.

He was an average coach.  But a good dude.  I liked him.  Still do.  But I'm glad we have Reich now.  :thmup:

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

And I'm pointing out the flaws in calling him a poor coach.  Or "trash" as someone else said.

He was average at worst.  Average at best.

He was an average coach.  But a good dude.  I liked him.  Still do.  But I'm glad we have Reich now.  :thmup:

He was a below average coach. An average  head coach can do more than simply motivate the team.

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

You sank your own ship....again. 55% wins is a winner in the NFL??!!

Chuck Paganos' 55% ranks him 64th all-time, tied with Mike Shanahan.

List of coaches with worse winning %:

Tom Coughlin - 2 SBs

Tom Flores - 2 SBs

Dick Vermeil - 1 SB

Gary Kubiak - 1 SB

Jon Gruden - 1 SB

Buddy Ryan

Bum Phillips

List of coaches with winning % below 60%:

Mike Holmgren - 1 SB

John Harbaugh - 1 SB

Pete Carroll - 1 SB

Hank Stram - 1 SB

Bill Parcells - 2 SB

Chuck Knoll - 4 SB

Mike Ditka - 1 SB

Brian Billick - 1 SB

Jimmie Johnson - 2 SB

Mike Shanahan - 2 SB

For reference, there are only 4 coaches with a winning % over 70%.

Guy Chamberlin

John Madden

Vince Lombardi

George Allen

... what was that about sinking your own ship?

how-to-spot-a-sinking-ship-640x430.jpg

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Chuck Paganos' 55% ranks him 64th all-time, tied with Mike Shanahan.

List of coaches with worse winning %:

Tom Coughlin - 2 SBs

Tom Flores - 2 SBs

Dick Vermeil - 1 SB

Gary Kubiak - 1 SB

Jon Gruden - 1 SB

Buddy Ryan

Bum Phillips

List of coaches with winning % below 60%:

Mike Holmgren - 1 SB

John Harbaugh - 1 SB

Pete Carroll - 1 SB

Hank Stram - 1 SB

Bill Parcells - 2 SB

Chuck Knoll - 4 SB

Mike Ditka - 1 SB

Brian Billick - 1 SB

Jimmie Johnson - 2 SB

Mike Shanahan - 2 SB

For reference, there are only 4 coaches with a winning % over 70%.

Guy Chamberlin

John Madden

Vince Lombardi

George Allen

... what was that about sinking your own ship?

how-to-spot-a-sinking-ship-640x430.jpg

You went to all that work to prove my point. Thank you.

Pagano , like a lot of coaches can excel in a role playing assistant , that suites their expertise.

There is a lot of good assistant coaches that just can't make that leap to head coaching.

Capers, Wade Phillips , come to mind. I have nothing against Pagano, I think he is a caring human being and I wish the best for him in his new role. 

12 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Pagano , like a lot of coaches can excel in a role playing assistant , that suites their expertise.

There is a lot of good assistant coaches that just can't make that leap to head coaching.

Capers, Wade Phillips , come to mind. I have nothing against Pagano, I think he is a caring human being and I wish the best for him in his new role. 

How can that be said about a first time head coach?

I am pretty sure New England is glad they took a gamble with a losing coach like Belichick.

23 hours ago, King Colt said:

Pagano is a loser. He wants to be friends with the players. Fine, go mange your neighbors bowling team. The Bears need a fire breather like Buddy Ryan.

So do you think Tony Dungy was a bad coach?  He didn't breath fire.

One thing you need to learn is today's players do not play for a head coach who 'breaths fire' as you call it.

That may have worked years ago but not when the players make three times what the coaches make and want and  expect to be treated as grown men.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So do you think Tony Dungy was a bad coach?  He didn't breath fire.

One thing you need to learn is today's players do not play for a head coach who 'breaths fire' as you call it.

That may have worked years ago but not when the players make three times what the coaches make and want and  expect to be treated as grown men.

Colts are lucky I am not Head Coach I would be Godzilla :rawr:and spit fire, and please a lot of fans :sarcasm: