Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Makes Luck "elwayish"

chrisfarley

Care to venture into that one. I just saw Elways first NFL game vs. Steelers (oh by the way, Bob Costas was doing the game), He had that weird strut - body - english, I think Elway was just a freak, not sure if Luck has those same sick skills / intangibles. Do we really want Andrew Luck running ?? NO!!!! he will get hurt. Elway had about 3000 surgeries.

Care to venture into that one. I just saw Elways first NFL game vs. Steelers (oh by the way, Bob Costas was doing the game), He had that weird strut - body - english, I think Elway was just a freak, not sure if Luck has those same skills (Elway had a silly strong arm). Do we really want Andrew Luck running ?? NO!!!! he will get hurt. Elway had about 3000 surgeries on his legs.

Stanford, ability to read Ds and a lot of intangibles, that is about it at this point.

Arm strength - Elway was way ahead.

To me, Luck is more Peytonish than Elwayish in arm strength and ability to read Ds but with mobility like Rodgers.

He is not an exact mold of Elway, they are just two very highly rated prospects because they have the complete skill set.

actually luck is freakishly fast. I would have to say that he probably has more speed that Elway ever did. Elway has bigger teeth but I don't think that helps on the field, unless it's a corn field.

actually luck is freakishly fast. I would have to say that he probably has more speed that Elway ever did. Elway has bigger teeth but I don't think that helps on the field, unless it's a corn field.

Luck is supposedly significantly faster than Elway ... I don't know Elway's "official" 40 time, but according to Gil Brandt's scouting notes on Elway he was estimated to run the 40 in 4.95 - 5.0 secs. (compared to Luck's 4.59 sec 40). I know there are other factors that play into a QB's scambling ability and "escapability" , but this gives a little insight to how the 2 compare speedwise.

http://www.profootba...release_id=1216

Luck is supposedly significantly faster than Elway ... I don't know Elway's "official" 40 time, but according to Gil Brandt's scouting notes on Elway he was estimated to run the 40 in 4.95 - 5.0 secs. (compared to Luck's 4.59 sec 40). I know there are other factors that play into a QB's scambling ability and "escapability" , but this gives a little insight to how the 2 compare speedwise.

http://www.profootba...release_id=1216

What Luck and Elway both share with Peyton, is the will to win. They will win using different approaches, but they all get there. Only Luck hasn't proven himself in the NFL level yet. We should give him the chance to prove himself at this level.

What Luck and Elway both share with Peyton, is the will to win. They will win using different approaches, but they all get there. Only Luck hasn't proven himself in the NFL level yet. We should give him the chance to prove himself at this level.

I agree, IF Luck is successful at the NFL level it will most be by using an approach/combination of skills and intangibles that is unique to him. I was merely pointing out his athletic ability will probably be part of that formula, and that I do not believe Elway to be more "freakishly" athletically gifted than Luck.

I agree, IF Luck is successful at the NFL level it will most be by using an approach/combination of skills and intangibles that is unique to him. I was merely pointing out his athletic ability will probably be part of that formula, and that I do not believe Elway to be more "freakishly" athletically gifted than Luck.

Yes, Elway was not as athletically gifted as Luck, but he did sacrifice his body at times to win. This was evident at his time at Stanford, as well as with the Broncos. All elite QBs have that aura of leadership.

Stanford, ability to read Ds and a lot of intangibles, that is about it at this point.

Arm strength - Elway was way ahead.

To me, Luck is more Peytonish than Elwayish in arm strength and ability to read Ds but with mobility like Rodgers.

Luck is more athletic than Rodgers. I would compare his athleticism to Jim Kelly, who was originally recruited by Penn State to play linebacker

Just found this: ---

The average score for today's NFL quarterback is 30, with a low of 14 and a high of 39 (Peyton and Eli Manning), and Luck is again expected to be on the high end. If you were building an ideal quarterback from scratch, you might end up with Luck. -- Todd McShay

In other words, if you play madden & have a franchise you're looking at a guy who will be in your draft class once every 25 or 30 times. Otherwise this type of talent isn't available. If you've played madden there are a few guys like that on the game who are made up draft class players you'll know what I mean

I swear some people on here are deep down hoping Luck fails so they can say I told you so and so it makes Manning look better and Irsay worse.

I think some people are being cautious. Luck has not proven anything yet. No one wants the Colts to fail, but some of you need to use logic and stop using feelings that carry no weight on the gridiron.

I swear some people on here are deep down hoping Luck fails so they can say I told you so and so it makes Manning look better and Irsay worse.

Have the Colts signed Luck? Did I miss something? If Irsay said today, "Oh, we're picking Luck!" Would you believe him or think he's posturing for the draft? My point being, if you post about Luck in the Draft forum, rather than the Colts forum, you'll probably receive posts that are more likely to support your views about this non-Colt