Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is The New Regime Trigger Happy Or Do They Flat Out Want To Just Totally Revamp?

chad72

I am worried the new regime may be too trigger happy and not allow players to develop if they have a tendency to use the broom instead of a brush.

At what point should Colts fans be worried that player loyalty and the relationship business aspect of business that the Colts have adhered to may be compromised with a new regime?

Yes, every cut can be justified in its own way but it is impossible for me to sit here and say that every need of ours will be fulfilled via free agency and the draft for the players we let go.

Thoughts???

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial reaction is option B.

Trav posted how many games those 4 guys missed over the past two years and it's kinda staggering really.

Wayne has rarely missed games, but he does not get contacted. Does that mean he may get re-signed to an incentive laden deal?

I think the real telling aspect of this is a week away.

Do they get signed somewhere else. And if they do. For how much?

Similar to our regard for Polian. He was a 'genius' here for years. Nows he's at ESPN and his son is unemployed. Telling?

Wayne has rarely missed games, but he does not get contacted. Does that mean he may get re-signed to an incentive laden deal?

No, I think it means they've decided it doesn't makes sense to throw top money at a 34 ish year old wide reciever (I can't rememeber how old he is exactly)

Besides, why would he want to come back at this point? He's probably much happier to try and follow Manning at this point.

You don't rebuild with 30 plus guys who have big contracts and who have not lived up to those contracts. Sad to say but even though I thought there was a chance we could keep some of these guys last night now that it happened and I am once again listening to my head over my heart it makes sense as painful as it is. Once Polian went you could start to see the rest of these moves coming because new GMs want their own guys not one someone elses. Once Manning went it was only a matter of time. At least the Colts did it quick rather than letting us start to get over Manning being gone and then saying hey all those other players you liked yeah they are gone too. I'd rather have all the bad news at once.

I think the real telling aspect of this is a week away.

Do they get signed somewhere else. And if they do. For how much?

Similar to our regard for Polian. He was a 'genius' here for years. Nows he's at ESPN and his son is unemployed. Telling?

True. It would also about being a short term fit. Clark is not going to forget catching balls and might be willing to go to the Giants, who need that pass catching TE, who knows, for a short term deal :)???

You don't rebuild with 30 plus guys who have big contracts and who have not lived up to those contracts. Sad to say but even though I thought there was a chance we could keep some of these guys last night now that it happened and I am once again listening to my head over my heart it makes sense as painful as it is. Once Polian went you could start to see the rest of these moves coming because new GMs want their own guys not one someone elses. Once Manning went it was only a matter of time. At least the Colts did it quick rather than letting us start to get over Manning being gone and then saying hey all those other players you liked yeah they are gone too. I'd rather have all the bad news at once.

Yes, but the Steelers do it more gradually. They do not unload all their old guys in one shot, they draft and groom their replacements and play free agency sparingly. Then re-evaluate and then let them go progressively. They are also the franchise that has the most championships and are perennial playoff noise makers. Just pointing it out.

True. It would also about being a short term fit. Clark is not going to forget catching balls and might be willing to go to the Giants, who need that pass catching TE, who knows, for a short term deal :)???

Clark in 12yr old school yard voice: "hey eli, me and your big brother used to be friends, but he moved, and I moved, I was wondering if maybe *kicks rocks, shuffles feet* I could play with you guys"

Clark in 12yr old school yard voice: "hey eli, me and your big brother used to be friends, but he moved, and I moved, I was wondering if maybe *kicks rocks, shuffles feet* I could play with you guys"

Nicely done.

Kind of shocked by really let's just get it over with...rip off the bandaid and take the lumps for the dead cap money for this year and possibly next. I can seriously say I am excited for this team moving forward. Can you imagine how much cap room this team will have soon.

Finally a more balanced offense and a kick butt defense. The next couple years will hurt but then watch the F out !!!!!!

Yes, but the Steelers do it more gradually. They do not unload all their old guys in one shot, they draft and groom their replacements and play free agency sparingly. Then re-evaluate and then let them go progressively. They are also the franchise that has the most championships and are perennial playoff noise makers. Just pointing it out.

yes they do but we aren't the Steelers and I didn't say one word about being the Steelers because we haven't been at least not lately. We were in the early part of the Polian era. Clark was a product of that he was brought in and groomed to replace Dilger but really Pollard. Wayne was the same with Marvin. The problem is that start with Gonzo and Ugoh we started to miss and we didn't groom the guys to replace these guys other than Angerer with Brackett and maybe to lesser extent Brown with Addai. Thus that is why we are in the mess we are in now.

Too much too soon for me to digest. I'm going to have to play catch-up for a while.

Who is this new team?

I don't know to be honest and it's weird for me as well....I can digest this very easily, but I don't want to...Pretty much this era of the colts is what I grew up with watching and the reason I actually got into football. It's weird seeing this happen, but easily understandable. If we are going to rebuild these events need to happen. We won't know who this team is until week 1 when we have our first real game.

sucks they have let go manning, clark,brackett, freeney, bullett, and more then likely wont resign wayne and garcon. its like Irsay is allowing the new GM to rebuild the WHOLE team. why not just release everyone and start from scratch. at the rate their going now the colts wont make the playoffs for along time. i was hoping 2013 or 2014 the colts would be back in contention but this just ruined my hopes

Well, you have to tear it down before you can rebuild it. And they were spending A LOT o money on players that were on the sidelines more than they were on the field. When it happens all at once, you are shocked but when you take a step back and look at it. It does make sense for each cut. But still, WOW!!!

I am liking very much what the FO is doing.

This is the way to rebuild.

After the cuts, I expect them to do what is necessary in FA and draft to build a new team.

I see this as a 2-3 year process to build a championship worthy team.

i agree i dont think we are contenders untill 3 solid drafts and thats a big ?

sucks they have let go manning, clark,brackett, freeney, bullett, and more then likely wont resign wayne and garcon. its like Irsay is allowing the new GM to rebuild the WHOLE team. why not just release everyone and start from scratch. at the rate their going now the colts wont make the playoffs for along time. i was hoping 2013 or 2014 the colts would be back in contention but this just ruined my hopes

How much did Addai, Brackett, Clark and Bullitt contribute to the Colts last playoff appearance?

why didnt they try to trade clarck? 4 rounder maybe?

Even a 5th I would have taken, but he was due $7 million this year, and $9 million the next two years. No one was going to take that contract for a 33 year old tight end, especially since he has no identity separate from Peyton Manning.

If the team he had the most success for, isn't willing to pay the $ and saying he isn't worth the $, why would another team? Not only pay him, but also give up a pick?

the same could be said of freeney then...and my guess is that any team that took him would have restuctured his deal

the giants need a te badly

Even a 5th I would have taken, but he was due $7 million this year, and $9 million the next two years. No one was going to take that contract for a 33 year old tight end, especially since he has no identity separate from Peyton Manning.

i agree but any teamt rading for him would have asked foor a restructured deal

i agree i dont think we are contenders untill 3 solid drafts and thats a big ?

Could be disasterous for the franchise....this is still a basketball town

You have to have paying fans..and how do you ask them for their ticket money NOW..

..based on a team they HOPE to have in 2 years..?

The releases were bound to happen. How and when it happened was just a function of the internal reviews being completed. I suspect one of the criteria used to evaluate the terminated players were their perceived value in helping to rebuild the team and the brain trust decided to go in a different direction.

Yeah, my head it trying to beat the stuffin's out of my heart right now.

So, we go from NO free agents, to heavy in free agency?

Who's providing veteran leadership? Mathis & Snow, anyone else? I forget.

Not to mention injury prone and a habit of dropping passes. Oh yeah, he can't run block to save his life. All in all, Clark has little to no trade value for the other 31 teams.

i agree but any teamt rading for him would have asked foor a restructured deal

Just realized I confused his deal with Brackett's. Clark is $7.3 million in 2012, $8.1 million in 2013, with $2.7 million in bonus money each season. And then he's a free agent in 2014. Even still, it's hard to restructure that kind of contract with that kind of bonus money, especially for a guy like Dallas who's value is very questionable at this point. Add in the sacrificial draft pick, and it makes more sense to let us cut him and then offer him a two year deal for $8 million.

Just realized I confused his deal with Brackett's. Clark is $7.3 million in 2012, $8.1 million in 2013, with $2.7 million in bonus money each season. And then he's a free agent in 2014. Even still, it's hard to restructure that kind of contract with that kind of bonus money, especially for a guy like Dallas who's value is very questionable at this point. Add in the sacrificial draft pick, and it makes more sense to let us cut him and then offer him a two year deal for $8 million.

rgr that, didnt have the specifics of his deal

i stand corrected

i don't get the conncectoin with cutting injury riddled aging players and not letting players develop. the colts are just cutting the old hard fat....

I was just extrapolating. With the way the coaches were gotten rid of, and with the way the aging players were gotten rid of, I am just skeptical if the same will happen if a player drafted/signed/re-signed does not produce in a year or two. That is what I was getting at :), if the GM is indeed trigger happy or has due diligence been done to see if there was value in an alternate path that could have been taken?

Of course, we do not have any history to base it on, just the pace of the cuts, a fervent pace :) that I am conjecturing based on for the future.