Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Culture Of This Team

John Waylon

48 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Did the Eagles have a 3 year plan after being gutted by Chip Kelly?

No, but they weren't gutted, and their main problem was Chip Kelly.

Still, they were last in their division in Pederson's first season, and then in Year 2 they made some big acquisitions and turned it around.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Still, they were last in their division in Pederson's first season, and then in Year 2 they made some big acquisitions and turned it around.

Yes big acquisitions and not just from the draft. And they were rebuilding after Chip Kelly, also 

I understand that a moderator that you have to, step in and agree with the current direction of the Colts organization to help keep the peace in this forum, but fans just posting their perspective no matter if it is not what the current coarse of what the organization is doing, should not be belittled and dismissed as if we were not true fans or trolls. I am 65 and have been a Colts fan since my dad introduced me to Johnnie U back in late 50's,

so that being said I have experienced a lot of good times and bad times and if you are a student of the Colts history, as I'm sure you are, then have a little more patience please? 

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yep.  They were in a position where a couple big acquisitions would get them to contender status.   The Colts are still a year away from that level.   

2 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Yes big acquisitions and not just from the draft. And they were rebuilding after Chip Kelly, also 

I understand that a moderator that you have to, step in and agree with the current direction of the Colts organization to help keep the peace in this forum, but fans just posting their perspective no matter if it is not what the current coarse of what the organization is doing, should not be belittled and dismissed as if we were not true fans or trolls. I am 65 and have been a Colts fan since my dad introduced me to Johnnie U back in late 50's,

so that being said I have experienced a lot of good times and bad times and if you are a student of the Colts history, as I'm sure you are, then have a little more patience please? 

1) As a moderator, I do NOT have to step in and agree with the direction of the organization. 

2) I am not and have not belittled or dismissed anyone's opinion or perspective. 

I honestly do not know what you're talking about. This is an accusation that gets tossed at me from time to time and honestly, I'm pretty sick of it. I post my opinions, thoughts and feelings, same as everyone else here; I'm not under any mandate to post in favor of what the team does. Out of the two of us, the one belittling and dismissing the other's perspective is you, not me. 

I'm also not here to compare fandom. It's great that you've been a fan for 60 years, that's awesome. It doesn't mean that I or anyone else is out of place by disagreeing with you. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep.  They were in a position where a couple big acquisitions would get them to contender status.   The Colts are still a year away from that level.   

At least. 

Ballard said he wanted to see improvement as the year goes on. We're 1-5 now, if we go 5-5 the rest of the way, that's significant improvement, and along the way we might find out that we have some good players on the roster that we aren't presently aware of. Maybe we'll wind up being somewhere near the 2016 Eagles.

But realistically, Howie Roseman has been building the Eagles since 2010, at least. He got interrupted by the Chip Kelly nonsense for a couple years, but he had already built a really good OL, the Kelly drafts yielded some decent players, and they got a pro-ready QB and had a pretty much perfect 2017 free agency. Even if you restart the clock when Roseman took back over in 2016, he's still a year ahead of Ballard.

I think they're a good model to follow, but in 2017 they were probably 2-3 seasons ahead of us. And we did our reboot in two phases, so the new schemes in 2018 required another recalibration. 

So if we finish strong, maybe we can say that we're a little closer than it looks right now. But if we wind up 3-13 and our young players still look lost at the end of the season, it will be obvious that we're still a couple years away.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

1) As a moderator, I do NOT have to step in and agree with the direction of the organization. 

2) I am not and have not belittled or dismissed anyone's opinion or perspective. 

I honestly do not know what you're talking about. This is an accusation that gets tossed at me from time to time and honestly, I'm pretty sick of it. I post my opinions, thoughts and feelings, same as everyone else here; I'm not under any mandate to post in favor of what the team does. Out of the two of us, the one belittling and dismissing the other's perspective is you, not me. 

I'm also not here to compare fandom. It's great that you've been a fan for 60 years, that's awesome. It doesn't mean that I or anyone else is out of place by disagreeing with you. 

If I have offended you personally then, I apologize That was not my intent. And as the other people disagreeing with me, well that is always going to be case,  lol. Believe me over the years of being a Colts fan, I have had to develop a thick skin. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

At least. 

Ballard said he wanted to see improvement as the year goes on. We're 1-5 now, if we go 5-5 the rest of the way, that's significant improvement, and along the way we might find out that we have some good players on the roster that we aren't presently aware of. Maybe we'll wind up being somewhere near the 2016 Eagles.

But realistically, Howie Roseman has been building the Eagles since 2010, at least. He got interrupted by the Chip Kelly nonsense for a couple years, but he had already built a really good OL, the Kelly drafts yielded some decent players, and they got a pro-ready QB and had a pretty much perfect 2017 free agency. Even if you restart the clock when Roseman took back over in 2016, he's still a year ahead of Ballard.

I think they're a good model to follow, but in 2017 they were probably 2-3 seasons ahead of us. And we did our reboot in two phases, so the new schemes in 2018 required another recalibration. 

So if we finish strong, maybe we can say that we're a little closer than it looks right now. But if we wind up 3-13 and our young players still look lost at the end of the season, it will be obvious that we're still a couple years away.

Perhaps, but with Luck in place, a big piece is already there.   The O-line looks much improved and should be an asset next season.   Leonard and Walker look to have our LB position at least not a priority.  WR and DE still need addressed pretty strongly.   By seasons end, we may be able to identify 2-3 positions that would take us to that next level.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zibby43 said:

So true.  And they show up week after week.  The Hines drop in the end zone was infuriating.

Ebron irritates me with his effort (or lack thereof) on some of the more difficult catches.  He lazily tries to one-hand catch some throws, instead of selling out with two. 

And I fully realize Ebron is the least of our problems right now, but his effort does not set good examples for the younger guys.  That also goes to culture.

That's why he isn't still with the Lions.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

That's why he isn't still with the Lions.

Ebron reminds me sometimes of Coby Fleener.

3 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

If I have offended you personally then, I apologize That was not my intent. And as the other people disagreeing with me, well that is always going to be case,  lol. Believe me over the years of being a Colts fan, I have had to develop a thick skin. 

It was not my intent to offend you, either, and I hope you haven't taken our interactions or my moderating over the last day personally. 

But yes, it does annoy me when people imply that I have to agree with the direction of the team because I'm a moderator. It's simply not true. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Yes - please have a little more patience.  It will take some time to get this team on a winning track again.  I to have been a colts fan since the Mike Curtis days.  I always wanted black high tops like Johnny U.  And maybe Reich and Ballard are not going to turn this team around.  But this team was so bad it will take a few years to get the talent in place. If after year 4 of the Ballard rebuild we not in a position to compete at the highest level then the Colts should look at moving on from them.  In the meantime...

Patience please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

Perhaps, but with Luck in place, a big piece is already there.   The O-line looks much improved and should be an asset next season.   Leoooonard and Walker look to have our LB position at least not a priority.  WR and DE still need addressed pretty strongly.   By seasons end, we may be able to identify 2-3 positions that would take us to that next level.  

Next level?  The next level from here is winning a game or two.  

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

Next level?  The next level from here is winning a game or two.  

Next level is contending for a playoff spot.   We could have easily been 3-3 right now.   Although the record is significant, it is not all that matters.   Those of us who have watched the games can see where the issues lie and can see that the team is young and improving.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Next level is contending for a playoff spot.   We could have easily been 3-3 right now.   Although the record is significant, it is not all that matters.   Those of us who have watched the games can see where the issues lie and can see that the team is young and improving.  

This team is improving week to week?  Where are they improving?  Overall, they're not.  You could point to yesterday's O-line play or something else, but next week it might be gone.

Can't say I see much improvement from the start of the season - regression in some areas.

It's like buying  "fixer upper" house. The worse the wreckage the longer it takes to resurrect it. In preseason and early this season commentators referred to the Colts team as "mess", a "trainwreck" and other such niceties. So be it. There are alot of holes but let's start with a team that is healthy then go from there. Someone posted earlier Luck was not sacked once yesterday. I can't recall hearing that in a long time. That is a big step in the right direction.  For some reason it seems there are alot of teams playing poorly. Would the Colts play poorly if they had their #1 receiver TY and  tight end Jack Doyle? The OL is healthier now. So as it has been said, "Let's get the band back together" all healthy and then decide if they stink or not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

This team is improving week to week?  Where are they improving?  Overall, they're not.  You could point to yesterday's O-line play or something else, but next week it might be gone.

Can't say I see much improvement from the start of the season - regression in some areas.

I disagree.   The O-line is coming together.   Leonard and Walker are looking like a very good LB core for the team.  Mack showed us that he is much better than the rest at this point.  

With all the injured players, I think the team shows lots of promise.    With just half of Doyle, Hilton, Hunt, Autry, Geathers, Maulet and others not injured, I have no doubt the Colts would have won that game.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

With just half of Doyle, Hilton, Hunt, Autry, Geathers, Maulet and others not injured, I have no doubt the Colts would have won that game.  

It's crazy some don't even take that into consideration.

People would complain about a player being bad even if 3 or 4 guys ahead of them were injured, meaning that player is essentially a 4th or 5th stringer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Did the Eagles have a 3 year plan after being gutted by Chip Kelly?

I have no idea.   But what’s your point?

Ballard publicly said he had a three year plan.   And Irsay has signed off on it. 

For the record, Philly had much more talent on their roster when Orderson was hired than the Colts did when Ballard was hired.   There’s no comparison.

There was 1 poster to tell me R-E-L-A-X when I saw it in the preseason that this team cannot execute. Come out Mr. R-E-L-A-X we just lost against the sorry Jets. At least my sister is happy smh.

Positives = Hooker, Lenard, Nelson, Turray (Has already outplayed Basham). The OG/OT Brandon will mature and grow well with real game experience. I am not going to bash CB. I think he is a competent GM.

Where is the DE/DT we traded up in the second round for from OSU? smh 

13 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I understand that a moderator that you have to, step in and agree with the current direction of the Colts organization to help keep the peace in this forum

Not true. He does have the responsibility to see that members abide by the forum rules they agreed to when they signed up.  Beyond that, he is a fan as well, with opinions of his own.  And they are not always in alignment to what people 'expect' to be in step with the 'direction' the organization is taking.

He is his own person with his own perspective regarding his team, just like any other fan here, and backed with knowledge and credible evidence without knee jerk reaction or dismissing the opinions of others out of hand.

• Like 1

I think we are still in the bottom 1/3 as far as roster talent.  We need to acquire more, and develop some of the current youngsters. And Rusty's plans for nutrition/strength/health need to take effect.

When Ballard was hired and new coaches and Schemes were brought on board, I personally looked to having a good showing in 2019, and maybe a deep run in 2020.  I might be optimistic, but I still hope fore that.

Once we get a good core on both sides of the ball together that can stay on the field, I believe this staff can 'clean things up' and get this squad to where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

14 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Thanks for posting.  The title of the article is giving me a good chuckle at this point in time.

This nugget, too: "The aim wasn’t simply performance; it was to turn one of the NFL’s most injury-prone teams into one of the most durable."

I'll wait another year until I pass judgment.  But the fact that he came out of retirement isn't something that excited me at the time, or now.  This field evolves quickly.

I can see that, at least on the surface.  But He wasn't on some deserted tropical island since then. 

"Since 2014, Jones has worked as a sports performance consultant for numerous professional and collegiate programs."

"Jones’ philosophy focuses on designing specific nutritional and workout programs for each individual player on the roster to maximize their performance while maintaining year-round health. His approach takes nutrition and body composition down to the molecular level and is based on what players do at their position."

Let's see how things pan out next year as this program gets in full gear even through the whole off season.  And that is where the players must really buy in and follow it without much team guidance (CBA off season rules).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Superman said:

2-3 seasons ahead whereas we are 5 seasons behind. Like you said, even Kelly’s draft yielded some good players.   In 5 seasons all Grigson brought to the table was Hilton and Kelly. Everyone else is off the roster or will be next offseason.

12 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

There was 1 poster to tell me R-E-L-A-X when I saw it in the preseason that this team cannot execute. Come out Mr. R-E-L-A-X we just lost against the sorry Jets. At least my sister is happy smh.

Positives = Hooker, Lenard, Nelson, Turray (Has already outplayed Basham). The OG/OT Brandon will mature and grow well with real game experience. I am not going to bash CB. I think he is a competent GM.

Where is the DE/DT we traded up in the second round for from OSU? smh 

He's on IR.  smh

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I can see that, at least on the surface.  But He wasn't on some deserted tropical island since then. 

"Since 2014, Jones has worked as a sports performance consultant for numerous professional and collegiate programs."

"Jones’ philosophy focuses on designing specific nutritional and workout programs for each individual player on the roster to maximize their performance while maintaining year-round health. His approach takes nutrition and body composition down to the molecular level and is based on what players do at their position."

Let's see how things pan out next year as this program gets in full gear even through the whole off season.  And that is where the players must really buy in and follow it without much team guidance (CBA off season rules).

Haha very good point!  I bet there have been moments this season where he has wished he was on a tropical island.  haha

I truly appreciate you sharing that link.  It looks like Jones has implemented all of the things I mentioned earlier in the thread.  And then some.

My other concern was whether the players were utilizing the resources to the fullest (a concern you reference above).  If they aren't, I agree with you that time should help.  Also, the guys that have gotten those nagging injuries will see the consequences of not devoting the required time to training, eating, sleeping, and recovery. 

• Like 1