Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Culture Of This Team

John Waylon

Another Sunday, another game, another day where it’s “we were just a couple plays away from winning.”

This team somehow has gotten mired at the foot of the hump. We get close, but we just can’t get over it and wind up sliding back down to the foot of it once again. 

It’s been going on now for 3 years. 

When does it stop? What actually stops it?  First it was slow starts. Then last year it was coughing up second half leads. This year it’s WRs dropping passes, and tipping them to the defense. 

:sigh:

The culture is eerily reminiscent of last year.  The Colts find ways to beat themselves - turnovers, undisciplined penalties, drops, and lack of attention to detail.

I am concerned about the culture in the strength and conditioning program as well.  And that can be on the players if they aren't serious about spending the time required to take care of themselves properly.  Are they eating right?  Are they coming in early to stretch?

The amount of non-contact injuries (muscle pulls, strains, sprains, etc.) is completely unacceptable for a professional sports franchise.

There are proven techniques used today to specifically prevent these sorts of problems: using GPS on players to monitor their workloads/exertion levels during the week (on the practice field, in the weight room).   The GPS tracks distance traveled, “explosive plays,” and “load” (load = the physiological toll a movement takes).

Think high-tech Fitbits.  These GPS units even track sleep, which is a vital component in recovery.

Furthermore, there are now ways to test and evaluate each player's physical makeup and how *their* major muscle groups and joints work.  If a player has uneven quads/hamstrings (from a strength or flexibility standpoint) or a history of ankle injuries, these deficiencies can be identified and the player can be trained accordingly for strength/injury prevention purposes.

Aside from training and injury prevention, there have been huge jumps made in the recovery and nutrition fields.  As I mentioned above, sleep tracking is vitally important.

I don't know how cutting-edge the Colts are at this level.  But at a certain point, injuries are not bad luck.  They are a part of the culture of your organization because you don't have the proper programs or personnel in place.  Or, if you do, the players aren't utilizing those resources to the fullest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Those drops and volleyball to ints are brutal momentum/drive killers

So true.  And they show up week after week.  The Hines drop in the end zone was infuriating.

Ebron irritates me with his effort (or lack thereof) on some of the more difficult catches.  He lazily tries to one-hand catch some throws, instead of selling out with two. 

And I fully realize Ebron is the least of our problems right now, but his effort does not set good examples for the younger guys.  That also goes to culture.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I still think Ballard and Reich are winners and this gets turned around .....but not this year .

I agree, they're going to clean house. There's no need for wrs, te's and backs who can't catch. Hello?!? That's what you get paid to do!!

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

The culture is eerily reminiscent of last year.  The Colts find ways to beat themselves - turnovers, undisciplined penalties, drops, and lack of attention to detail.

I am concerned about the culture in the strength and conditioning program as well.  And that can be on the players if they aren't serious about spending the time required to take care of themselves properly.  Are they eating right?  Are they coming in early to stretch?

The amount of non-contact injuries (muscle pulls, strains, sprains, etc.) is completely unacceptable for a professional sports franchise.

There are proven techniques used today to specifically prevent these sorts of problems: using GPS on players to monitor their workloads/exertion levels during the week (on the practice field, in the weight room).   The GPS tracks distance traveled, “explosive plays,” and “load” (load = the physiological toll a movement takes).

Think high-tech Fitbits.  These GPS units even track sleep, which is a vital component in recovery.

Furthermore, there are now ways to test and evaluate each player's physical makeup and how *their* major muscle groups and joints work.  If a player has uneven quads/hamstrings (from a strength or flexibility standpoint) or a history of ankle injuries, these deficiencies can be identified and the player can be trained accordingly for strength/injury prevention purposes.

Aside from training and injury prevention, there have been huge jumps made in the recovery and nutrition fields.  As I mentioned above, sleep tracking is vitally important.

I don't know how cutting-edge the Colts are at this level.  But at a certain point, injuries are not bad luck.  They are a part of the culture of your organization because you don't have the proper programs or personnel in place.  Or, if you do, the players aren't utilizing those resources to the fullest. 

Sounds like they might need to hire you.  Lol 

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Another Sunday, another game, another day where it’s “we were just a couple plays away from winning.”

This team somehow has gotten mired at the foot of the hump. We get close, but we just can’t get over it and wind up sliding back down to the foot of it once again. 

It’s been going on now for 3 years. 

When does it stop? What actually stops it?  First it was slow starts. Then last year it was coughing up second half leads. This year it’s WRs dropping passes, and tipping them to the defense. 

:sigh:

OH please......    Again?

Is simple addition really that hard?

We're 22 games into a 48 game rebuild?

3 years ago the team was 8-8.     If you're going to include 2016 in your personal misery,  then you might as well include 2015 as well when we were also 8-8.   Then we're 54 games,  nearly 3 and a half years.    The math never adds up.

Ballard is only responsible for the last year plus?     Three years?     Sorry,  no.

53 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Culture points to coaching.  It is up to Reich to help change it to a positive one.  

But that’s just the thing though. Obviously the coaching was part of the problem the last two years. But now we’ve got a new coach and we’ve traded out the problems that the last guy had for new ones that grow on the same tree. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

3 years ago the team was 8-8.     If you're going to include 2016 in your personal misery,  then you might as well include 2015 as well when we were also 8-8.   Then we're 54 games,  nearly 3 and a half years.    The math never adds up.

Ballard is only responsible for the last year plus?     Three years?     Sorry,  no.

Ok. 

No correlation from the same same kind of struggles we’ve seen over time. 

My bad. 

Glad you’re here to correct me. 

:grumpy2:

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If anyone wonders why there’s a fraction of the activity around here that there used to be, and next to nothing from 10 years ago it’s because of posters like this who have absolutely 0 respect for opinions beside their own. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If anyone wonders why there’s a fraction of the activity around here that there used to be, and next to nothing from 10 years ago it’s because of posters like this who have absolutely 0 respect for opinions beside their own. 

Right.    It’s ALL me.    I’ve single handudky driven off hundreds if posters.  

It couldn't possibly be the team that is 5-17 in its last 22 games.    No, it’s me because I pointed out that Ballard isn’t responsible for anything more than 2017 and beyond, but not before that.

You’ve been suffering all these years?

We've cleaned house.   Rebuilds are rarely done over night.    But keep blaming me for your trouble.   I’ll play sympathetic music for you with the worlds smallest violin.

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I'm pretty sure the Colts are doing all the stuff you mention here, and more. They talked about all of this stuff when they hired Rusty Jones, and they literally rebuilt the training facility to bring their equipment up to date.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

12 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

posters like this

Let's go back to the replay. Again. Because we very obviously have to. 

posters like this

Italicised for emphasis. You know, like posters. As in plural. Unnamed. But since you identified....

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It couldn't possibly be the team that is 5-17 in its last 22 games.    No, it’s me because I pointed out that Ballard isn’t responsible for anything more than 2017 and beyond, but not before that.

It also couldn't possibly be an issue that's been going on around here since even before the last 22 games, I suppose. I've only been a member here for 12 years, what have I seen and what would I know?

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll play sympathetic music for you with the worlds smallest violin.

I was saying...

posters like this

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm pretty sure the Colts are doing all the stuff you mention here, and more. They talked about all of this stuff when they hired Rusty Jones, and they literally rebuilt the training facility to bring their equipment up to date.

I've never once attributed the strength and conditioning program to injuries in any way. I never would, because I honestly don't believe a bit of it. I know plenty of pro wrestlers who don't have any kind of conditioning program they use outside the ring who take elevated risks in the ring and never suffer more than the usual bruises and strains that come with the territory. 

I think this season in particular the practice intensity has something to do with it. The human body is like any other tool in the shed: the more and the harder you use it the more wear and tear is an issue. I'm not saying we should go back to Pagano's leisurely practice style because those obviously didn't help us win a whole lot, but there's a definite curiosity to wonder if maybe we've pushed a little too hard.

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I've never once attributed the strength and conditioning program to injuries in any way. I never would, because I honestly don't believe a bit of it. I know plenty of pro wrestlers who don't have any kind of conditioning program they use outside the ring who take elevated risks in the ring and never suffer more than the usual bruises and strains that come with the territory. 

I think this season in particular the practice intensity has something to do with it. The human body is like any other tool in the shed: the more and the harder you use it the more wear and tear is an issue. I'm not saying we should go back to Pagano's leisurely practice style because those obviously didn't help us win a whole lot, but there's a definite curiosity to wonder if maybe we've pushed a little too hard.

If players can't hold up a third of a season because camp was tough, how are they going to hold up for an entire season and into the playoffs? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

But at a certain point, injuries are not bad luck.  They are a part of the culture of your organization because you don't have the proper programs or personnel in place.  Or, if you do, the players aren't utilizing those resources to the fullest. 

My opinion is totally speculative and unscientific, but I think the reason our players get injured a lot is because they are mid level talent that needs too overextend their bodies to make the plays needed.  Combine that with being out of position, slow to see the play, and they have to strain to get to where they need to be, then hit or adjust at funny angles.

A convoluted explanation for saying that the injuries over the past few years is due to a lack of talent. 

Anything can happen to any great player, but the ones who are in the correct position and have great talent can make plays without overtaxing their bodies.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

But that’s just the thing though. Obviously the coaching was part of the problem the last two years. But now we’ve got a new coach and we’ve traded out the problems that the last guy had for new ones that grow on the same tree. 

John, keep beating your head on that tree till you get it that a whole new coaching scheme with all these new faces is NOT from the same tree.  Something is gonna give my Colts friend, do you think it will be the tree.
 There was NOTHING wrong with that o-line today. Surely Mack was a very hopeful sign.
Both of our ILB are showing tons of ability. IMO.
TY, Ebron, Doyle, Hines next season, along with Cain and a good FA or draft pick WR. Solid?
Add another good RB and this O should be solid. We are not that far away on O. 

The $$$ and draft picks are there.
 Gonna be hard to add 3 real good DB's next off season but we could add 2 pretty easy.
 We will add 4-5 solid pieces next off season. Adding a season of experience playing together, another off season program to polish the schemes and you naysayers may still have Knots showing on your forehead as the believers are enjoying our new shiny nickel.

31 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Some say they train to much, to bulky and muscle bound. Tendons, ligaments, joints stressed to near their limits.

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Sounds like they might need to hire you.  Lol 

Hah!  I appreciate it.  I'm no expert by any means.  But I've tried to follow how tech has revolutionized strength, conditioning, nutrition, and recovery at the collegiate and professional levels. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm sure they are.  Every team is.  What I failed to emphasize is that the devil is in the details with respect to these methods.  And the details matter a lot. 

A lot of the responsibility falls on the players.  Do guys go in to get a workout/lift in just for the sake of doing it?  Ho-hum, we ticked that box.  Or do they create competition with their teammates to get better?  And actually measure that improvement?

For example, some teams organize themselves into smaller groups/squads that compete for winning in the weight room for any given week.  Not only is every week a competition, every rep is a competition.  The winners and losers for any given week are posted for everyone on the team to see. 

That's how you build a good culture within your team.  A relentless desire to improve.  An accountability.  That competition and professionalism is infectious. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

If players can't hold up a third of a season because camp was tough, how are they going to hold up for an entire season and into the playoffs? 

This.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

My opinion is totally speculative and unscientific, but I think the reason our players get injured a lot is because they are mid level talent that needs too overextend their bodies to make the plays needed.  Combine that with being out of position, slow to see the play, and they have to strain to get to where they need to be, then hit or adjust at funny angles.

A convoluted explanation for saying that the injuries over the past few years is due to a lack of talent. 

Anything can happen to any great player, but the ones who are in the correct position and have great talent can make plays without overtaxing their bodies.

I think you're onto something here, but I would explain it a different way.  Curious to see whether you'd agree with my slightly different expression of your thought.

The Colts still don't have any semblance of quality depth.  The end result is key players are left playing way too many snaps (e.g., Darius Leonard).  Too many snaps leads to fatigue.  Fatigue increases injury susceptibility. 

Fatigue also leads to bad fundamentals, which can also result in injury.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

The Colts still don't have any semblance of quality depth.  The end result is key players are left playing way too many snaps (e.g., Darius Leonard).  Too many snaps leads to fatigue.  Fatigue increases injury susceptibility. 

Some players just aren't going to come off the field. Leonard is an every down backer, AC is a LT. Those guys don't get subbed out. But in the case of Leonard, the defense was on the field way too long against the Eagles and Texans, so fatigue is a legitimate concern there.

11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I'm sure they are.  Every team is.  What I failed to emphasize is that the devil is in the details with respect to these methods.  And the details matter a lot. 

A lot of the responsibility falls on the players.  Do guys go in to get a workout/lift in just for the sake of doing it?  Ho-hum, we ticked that box.  Or do they create competition with their teammates to get better?  And actually measure that improvement?

I get that, and agree with some of it. I think hamstring injuries are most likely an issue with conditioning, recovery and hydration, which are all on the player. So it's possible that the players aren't optimizing the resources available to them to get and keep their bodies ready. 

But many injuries are a matter of circumstance, and are unavoidable to any reasonable degree in such a physical sport. Ligament tears, twisted joints, contact injuries, etc., those aren't a matter of culture. There's no one and nothing to blame for Deon Cain's ACL, or Geathers' neck/concussion, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Some players just aren't going to come off the field. Leonard is an every down backer, AC is a LT. Those guys don't get subbed out. But in the case of Leonard, the defense was on the field way too long against the Eagles and Texans, so fatigue is a legitimate concern there.

I get that, and agree with some of it. I think hamstring injuries are most likely an issue with conditioning, recovery and hydration, which are all on the player. So it's possible that the players aren't optimizing the resources available to them to get and keep their bodies ready. 

But many injuries are a matter of circumstance, and are unavoidable to any reasonable degree in such a physical sport. Ligament tears, twisted joints, contact injuries, etc., those aren't a matter of culture. There's no one and nothing to blame for Deon Cain's ACL, or Geathers' neck/concussion, etc. 

Totally agree that at some positions, high snap counts are a reality.  OL is a great example.  CB is another.  And I also agree that Leonard is an every down guy; he's the one with the headset out there (which is pretty impressive for a rookie).  

That said, it would be great to have some depth in that LB group, so if Leonard gets dinged up on a play, he doesn't feel that pressure to stay in there and get hammered on while he's vulnerable.  At some positions, the Colts have to plug in guys that were recently on the Practice Squad for meaningful snaps, and that's scary.   

DL depth is absolutely vital in this scheme.  I think the Colts are okay there, especially if Lewis comes back and Hunt is alright.  But it needs to get better for this scheme to work.  Guys need to be fresh to generate pressure with 4.

Re: the injuries, I'm in 100% agreement that contact-related injuries need to be thrown out.  Ligament injuries are tricky, too.  You can do everything right in terms of strength and flexibility and none of it matters if a cleat gets stuck or a guy gets rolled up on from behind by a 300-lb lineman. 

With the new S&C regime and programs in place, it's going to take time for the full benefits to be on display.  I'm curious to see where things will be in year 2.  What has disappointed me is that we've had this onslaught of muscle pulls/strains (many of the same variety) despite the fact these new programs have been in place since the off-season.

Regardless, all of this is speculation on my part. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hmmmm..... Your post kinda reminds me of my thoughts on Mike Hart. He wasn't big, fast, or overly physically talented. So he gave it his all every play and played hard to make up for his physical short comings. He was often injured and I felt it was because he played harder than his body could take. Just my opinion and could be wrong but I think he's a example that fits your post.

• Like 1

The biggest issue of the “culture” is the narrative that the Colts are right in it until the end, but silly mistakes hurt them. If the silver lining is supposed to be that we’re not getting blown out, then that’s a slippery slope. If bad teams always get blown out, does that mean good teams blow out everyone? 

Theres a lot of teams that perennially under-achieve, but are competitive in every game. That doesn’t always mean you’re almost over the hump. Sometimes it means you just can’t close out games. 

And mistakes aren’t always just an unavoidable part of the game that everyone makes, or just a bad day. When it’s the same mistakes week to week and there isn’t noticeable improvement, it could be a coaching and/or talent issue. Better receivers will not drop a lot of these easy passes. A better defensive game plan will prevent a rookie QB from shredding your zone defense.

We will see next season if the culture changes. As it is right now, the 1-5 Colts are who they are and we will likely see much of the same.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I think you are on to something. The Colts, including Andrew Luck, are pressing, trying too hard. Probably trying to overcome a perceived inadequacy. That is probably the cause of many injuries. Anyone who plays sports knows there is a "zone" - a relaxed, confident and comfortable state of mind - where winning is enabled. We're not there, yet. If you look compare the Colts film to the winning teams, you can see the difference. It is too frenetic, almost near panic at times.

• Like 1

The culture is eerily reminiscent of last year.  The Colts find ways to beat themselves -

{snip}

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Rusty Jones... the pioneer of modern sports performance / nutrition.   Here's a great article on how Ballard lured him out of retirement  -

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/08/23/man-can-finally-keep-colts-healthy/1068085002/

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The biggest issue of the “culture” is the narrative that the Colts are right in it until the end, but silly mistakes hurt them. If the silver lining is supposed to be that we’re not getting blown out, then that’s a slippery slope. If bad teams always get blown out, does that mean good teams blow out everyone? 

Theres a lot of teams that perennially under-achieve, but are competitive in every game. That doesn’t always mean you’re almost over the hump. Sometimes it means you just can’t close out games. 

And mistakes aren’t always just an unavoidable part of the game that everyone makes, or just a bad day. When it’s the same mistakes week to week and there isn’t noticeable improvement, it could be a coaching and/or talent issue. Better receivers will not drop a lot of these easy passes. A better defensive game plan will prevent a rookie QB from shredding your zone defense.

We will see next season if the culture changes. As it is right now, the 1-5 Colts are who they are and we will likely see much of the same.

Great post.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

{snip}

Rusty Jones... the pioneer of modern sports performance / nutrition.   Here's a great article on how Ballard lured him out of retirement  -

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/08/23/man-can-finally-keep-colts-healthy/1068085002/

Thanks for posting.  The title of the article is giving me a good chuckle at this point in time.

This nugget, too: "The aim wasn’t simply performance; it was to turn one of the NFL’s most injury-prone teams into one of the most durable."

I'll wait another year until I pass judgment.  But the fact that he came out of retirement isn't something that excited me at the time, or now.  This field evolves quickly.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

{snip}

I just heard on 1070 the Colts are putting Rusty Jones on I.R. 

haha

19 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Ebron irritates me with his effort (or lack thereof) on some of the more difficult catches.  He lazily tries to one-hand catch some throws, instead of selling out with two. 

And I fully realize Ebron is the least of our problems right now, but his effort does not set good examples for the younger guys.  That also goes to culture.

I agree. 

The receiving corps is in bad shape when Ebron is our best option.   Hilton and Doyle back will mostly fix that though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’ve been suffering all these years?

We've cleaned house.   Rebuilds are rarely done over night.    But keep blaming me for your trouble.   I’ll play sympathetic music for you with the worlds smallest violin.

Did the Eagles have a 3 year plan after being gutted by Chip Kelly?

17 hours ago, John Waylon said:

It has to do with winning and fair weather fans, not people with opinions.  If you're going to post emotional stuff expect a response or don't post.  This isn't grade school, buck up!

• Like 1