Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson

1959Colts

Just now, ThaCaliColt said:

I'm growing weary of the guy personally...Either get on the field and be productive or be released. Not worth a second round draft pick. It seems like if it's not one thing with this guy it's another...

Really impressed with Desir and Moore as well. 

I'm not disagreeing with, I do want to point out that Wilson may still be in the concussion protocol.  I would not take the speculation of Zak Keefer as the gospel, or even necessarily true.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Could be just speculation but it strikes me that he knows something but just can't confirm it.  And given Wilson's odd 2017 season, it strikes me as reasonable to think Keefer is on to something.

Well yeah, there could easily be something going on, but without evidence that Wilson has indeed cleared protocol, we're kind of jumping to conclusions. And here today, Wilson is still listed on the injury report with a concussion, suggesting that he has not cleared protocol. Either that or the Colts are lying about his status. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well yeah, there could easily be something going on, but without evidence that Wilson has indeed cleared protocol, we're kind of jumping to conclusions. And here today, Wilson is still listed on the injury report with a concussion, suggesting that he has not cleared protocol. Either that or the Colts are lying about his status. 

Yeah being on the injury report today is does suggest that Keefer may not know as much as his tweet suggested.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:45 PM, shastamasta said:

Did not like this pick. It's interesting...the complete 180 from Ballard going from investing a 2nd round pick in a CB to filling the entire secondary with late picks, castoffs and UDFAs.

I have long thought that Pagano and coaches had some influence on that draft...so I am sticking to that because it makes me feel better.

The worst part, of course, is the opportunity cost. Kamara was my draft crush...can only imagine what he would do for this offense. But he wasn't the only good skill position player that was available.

Just ask Kerry Collins.

Ballard seemed to be committed to the “right now” approach. He drafted and signed FAs that fit Pagano’s scheme. Everyone assumed he got hybrid players that could play in multiple schemes in case there was a coaching change, but maybe not. Everyone who survived the cuts is someone who was able to make the transition but there are some guys who may be on the bubble.

Quincy Wilson could be one. Seems like a strong man corner. The same could be said about Hairston which could explain why he has seemingly disappeared after a surpringly successful rookie campaign. Grover Stewart is another guy. I think he’s a 3-4 NT and nothing more. Walker and Hunt seemed able to make the switch as well.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard seemed to be committed to the “right now” approach. He drafted and signed FAs that fit Pagano’s scheme. Everyone assumed he got hybrid players that could play in multiple schemes in case there was a coaching change, but maybe not. Everyone who survived the cuts is someone who was able to make the transition but there are some guys who may be on the bubble.

Quincy Wilson could be one. Seems like a strong man corner. The same could be said about Hairston which could explain why he has seemingly disappeared after a surpringly successful rookie campaign. Grover Stewart is another guy. I think he’s a 3-4 NT and nothing more. Walker and Hunt seemed able to make the switch as well.

I agree with most of what you said here except about Hairston and Stewart.

1.  Hairston has played the 2nd most snaps of anyone on the defense, 297.  One behind Geathers and tied with Leonard.  That is according to this site. I have not checked the stats but football outsiders has always been a very accurate site.

2.  I like what Stewart brings to the D.  He's not a typical gap DT but he has good quickness for his size and holds his ground well, even against double teams.

20 hours ago, Savage21 said:

Quincy Wilson blocked me on Twitter a few weeks ago because I said Desir should be starting over him. lmao

Why would you post on a guy’s Twitter feed to tell him he shouldn’t be starting?

What good does that do?

And some fans wonder why players don’t like fans...    it’s moves like this...

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why would you post on a guy’s Twitter feed to tell him he shouldn’t be starting?

What good does that do?

Actually Wilson needs to learn to ignore such comments if he wants to maintain a twitter presence

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What good does that do?

I was trying to motivate the guy, smh. It clearly didn't work.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What good does that do?

25 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

For what little it's worth...

When I'm trying to motivate someone I try to offer something positive...

I try to say things like...

I'm a fan of theirs...   I believe in them.    I'm rooting for them to succeed.    That I think they're capable of more and better.     That I look forward to them being in the starting lineup....  (and if they're already starting)   then I say I'm looking forward to them taking their game to the next level and you know they can do it.

I'm offering sugar and honey rather than a bucket of cold water that might be a shock to the system.     Just some food for thought.....

Wilson is a good example of why Ballard emphasizes a great Locker room.  If he is immature like some say, He sees how Zaire, Leonard, etc... all handle themselves and he hopefully models that behavior.  Of course, it’s speculation at this point. 

• Like 1

Somewhat mysterious injuries that are keeping him from progressing, and comments that indicate his opinion of himself is higher than most every professional coach (he commented last year that when someone suggested we had no #1CB when VD left, that he was the new #1) despite nothing about his play on the field suggesting the opinion is deserved.

There is some resemblance to the D'joun Smith situation. 

• Like 2

Whatever the reason, Wilson has been a major disappointment up to this point. I would assume everyone can agree on that. Lets hope he puts it together. He's still very young, and the light bulb can go on at any time. But for his sake, that bulb needs to start shedding some serious light real soon. 

On 10/1/2018 at 3:45 PM, shastamasta said:

I have long thought that Pagano and coaches had some influence on that draft...so I am sticking to that because it makes me feel better.

Of course Pagano and his coaches had influence on that draft.  There's no reason they shouldn't have.  :)

6 hours ago, Savage21 said:

Not everyone responds to the same methods of motivation.  Maybe that's something that should be left up to the coaches that know him and work with him.  

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe he's the "player" the Steelers would accept in a Bell trade. Not thinking it's going to happen but I think he fits their scheme better than ours. 

I don't think this happens either. Last time I checked, Bell has indicated he won't sign a long term deal for less than a king's ransom. Meaning that unless the Colts have a pre-existing deal in place that makes sense, they would be trading away a 2nd round pick for little in return. As well as giving up on Wilson. I just don't see it.

If this deal were in place a year from now, with an improving team, a couple of key FA acquisitions, and another solid draft in place, it might be different. Right now, Bell doesn't get you into the playoffs with this team, and will blow up your cap space if you sign him, so why roll the dice like this and risk the disruption of the rebuilding plan?

22 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I don't think this happens either. Last time I checked, Bell has indicated he won't sign a long term deal for less than a king's ransom. Meaning that unless the Colts have a pre-existing deal in place that makes sense, they would be trading away a 2nd round pick for little in return. As well as giving up on Wilson. I just don't see it.

If this deal were in place a year from now, with an improving team, a couple of key FA acquisitions, and another solid draft in place, it might be different. Right now, Bell doesn't get you into the playoffs with this team, and will blow up your cap space if you sign him, so why roll the dice like this and risk the disruption of the rebuilding plan?

As each day goes by the 2nd. rd asking price diminishes.  Probably no more than a 3rd. right now.  He would only play under the tag this year so the big contract is a year away and we have plenty of cap space.  If we trade for him earlier than he said he would report there is a good chance we have the parameters of a deal in place for next year.  If he signs and reports to the Steelers first then the Steelers could trade him to anyone without him having a say.  If we acquire Bell this year he could help us get into the playoffs.  Still very early.  He is only 26 and would be part of the rebuilding plan.  Luck and TY are older I believe.  I think the longer it goes the more likely he remains a Steeler and we get our chance next year. 

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Seems like that's pretty much exactly what Wilson did.  

Blocking is a reaction. I'm talking about ignore

Sort of like unsolicited phone calls. You don't answer and hang up, you don't reject the call. You let it ring 5 times and go to voicemail. The most passive response is the best way not to encourage them to call back

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

Blocking is a reaction. I'm talking about ignore

Sort of like unsolicited phone calls. You don't answer and hang up, you don't reject the call. You let it ring 5 times and go to voicemail.  The most passive response is the best way not to encourage them to call back

I'd disagree with that.  If I try to call you and it rings 5 times then goes to voicemail....maybe you were in the bathroom.  Maybe you were taking a nap.  Maybe you were in a movie theater.  Any number of possible reasons why you weren't able to answer the phone at that time.  However, if I call you and it rings once then goes to voicemail, that tells me you either don't want to or cannot talk at that moment.  I wouldn't try to call right back whereas if it had gone to vm naturally then I might wait 5-10 min and try again.

Personally I think Wilson actually did the right thing and that's what I would encourage players to do if I were the coach.  If someone sends you a message you don't like...block them.  Then there's no need to worry about encouraging them to message you again because they won't be able to...unless they're a real troll and keep creating new accounts in which case...keep blocking each and every one.  That way there's no temptation to ever reply.

As long as he doesn't start replying to comments he doesn't like in an unprofessional manner then I don't see anything at all wrong with what he did and would say that he did the most responsible thing that he could have.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, Pacergeek said:

Wilson just looks slow to me. He's a bigger, physical CB that can hit. In today's NFL, you have to be able to run with these speedy WR's. Quincy got exposed badly vs Cincy. Wilson was guarding Ross, but Ross made it look like he was not being guarded

Wilson looks slow to you?

Wilson's 40 time at the combine was 4.54.    Richard Sherman’s was 4.56. 

Speed is not the key quality you neeed when playing a zone defense.    It is for man or press,  but not zone.   The Colts play zone.

Wilson has plenty if speed.   He graded out well when he played last year.  This  year he’s suffering from a concussion and he also had a large cast on his hand.  

When he’s healthy and his head is right the kid can play.  

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe he's the "player" the Steelers would accept in a Bell trade. Not thinking it's going to happen but I think he fits their scheme better than ours. 

I might trade Wilson straight up for Bell. I sure wouldn’t give up both a 2nd and Wilson.

Bell isn’t even guaranteed to sign long term if he were traded here.