Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Practice Squad

TKnight24

So those 5, plus MLB Ahmad Thomas from Green Bay and now DE Carroll Phillips from Jacksonville.

Phillips has that prototypical right end size, speed and length and two other interesting tid bits - he played in Lovie Smith's Tampa 2 at Illinois WITH our current defensive line coach so there is familiarity there!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

How many games do you think he would win if he played them all?

I'd say less than Jacoby did last year.  This year's team is worse than last year (if you take Luck out of the equation.)  Only thing that makes people think we can be .500 is the fact that Luck will be back under center.  But roster wise we are very inexperienced in a lot of areas and the defense overall has gotten worse.

Why does it matter?  No one expects Walker to play the whole season for us.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I can't believe it is taking this long to fill out the practice squad.  Maybe more moves in the making.  Paxton Lynch?

It is curious how long this is taking. Makes you wonder if they are working out something like a larger than normal PS salary for someone like Delaire. Hope so. Once they can put Lewis on Injured Reserve, I'd like to see him back on the 53 man roster ASAP. 

23 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Douglas was listed as G/C with Falcons

I read he played LT in college at Arizona St.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/8/31/17798578/atlanta-falcons-release-vet-ols-pasztor-douglas-rookie-lb-winbush-cuts-final-roster

...Douglas was a former Patriot and Dolphin who was a practice squad guy for the Falcons in 2017 before making the active roster late in the season. He got some run in preseason but couldn’t notch a place in the team’s lineup...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jamil-douglas?id=2552339

Full practice squad according to NFL. Com

Indianapolis Colts

TE Mo Alie-Cox, WR Reece Fountain, WR Steve Ishmael, QB Phillip Walker, CB D.J. White, TE Ryan Hewitt, G Jamil Douglas, DE Carroll Phillips, LB Ahmad Thomas, DE Jihad Ward

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J@son said:

Full practice squad according to NFL. Com

Indianapolis Colts

TE Mo Alie-Cox, WR Reece Fountain, WR Steve Ishmael, QB Phillip Walker, CB D.J. White, TE Ryan Hewitt, G Jamil Douglas, DE Carroll Phillips, LB Ahmad Thomas, DE Jihad Ward

Hewitt was signed to the active roster. Still one more spot to fill. 

Jihad Ward is more of a UT than a DT. 

Coached at Illinois by our current dline coach as well as Lovie Smith. 

Rod Marinelli (and subsequently Eberflus) coached him at the Senior Bowl in 2016.

So both he and Carroll Phillips have ties to the current coaching staff as well as working knowledge of the system.....

Interesting connecting the dots at times....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'd say less than Jacoby did last year.  This year's team is worse than last year (if you take Luck out of the equation.)  Only thing that makes people think we can be .500 is the fact that Luck will be back under center.  But roster wise we are very inexperienced in a lot of areas and the defense overall has gotten worse.

Why does it matter?  No one expects Walker to play the whole season for us.

Then why do you want him?  Maybe they could sign a better option from some of the other players which were cut.

40 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Then why do you want him?  Maybe they could sign a better option from some of the other players which were cut.

Maybe they could.  They haven’t as of yet and he played well for us in the preseason. So...nice that he is back on the practice squad.  He also knows our system so could be valuable to the team during practices, scout team, etc. 

I don’t really get all excited over signing rejects from other teams. Anyone that might be signed will also not play much this season barring a disaster at QB. This is 3rd string QB we are talking about. 

57 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

#3 QB is not about becoming a starter as much as being another arm at practice, knows the playbook, and can emulate some of the characteristics that our #1 does not. If the only criteria for being a #3 qb was winning, there would be hardly any in the league. Heck, the league can barely find enough starters to play on Sunday. Expecting winners from the #3 spot is unrealistic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

#3 QB is not about becoming a starter as much as being another arm at practice, knows the playbook, and can emulate some of the characteristics that our #1 does not. If the only criteria for being a #3 qb was winning, there would be hardly any in the league. Heck, the league can barely find enough starters to play on Sunday. Expecting winners from the #3 spot is unrealistic. 

I agree however, we may develop qb from picking up another and could be trade bait. I just don't see Walker as that guy.

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I'm thinking more like if Brissett is traded then our number three becomes number two. Colts may feel good about doing that if qb three is pretty good. Again don't see that with Walker.

I don’t see a trade of Brissett and any qb that could do that were kept on their active roster on did not make it through waivers

McNichols was extremely productive his 2 years as a starter at Boise after Ajayi moved on to the NFL.

He was considered a steal in the 6th round last year and it gives me pause he couldn't make the RB hungry Bucs (last year) or 49ers (this year).....

Perhaps that whole change of scenery thing will help....?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

McNichols was extremely productive his 2 years as a starter at Boise after Ajayi moved on to the NFL.

He was considered a steal in the 6th round last year and it gives me pause he couldn't make the RB hungry Bucs (last year) or 49ers (this year).....

Perhaps that whole change of scenery thing will help....?

You are right!

Ridiculous numbers at Boise St:

rushing                                               receiving

carries        yards     avg                 receptions   yards    avg

2014 (Fr)       17         159        9.4                          15           155      10.3

2015 (So)      240      1337       5.6                           51           460        9.0

2016 (Jr)       314      1709       5.4                           37           474      12.8

Career          571      3205       5.6                           103        1089     10.6

https://ninernoise.com/2018/06/18/49ers-2018-series-running-back-jeremy-mcnichols/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Don't forget Brissett was 3rd. string and developed into trade bait.  Of course that was after their 2nd. string QB was also trade bait.  

Lets focus on the 2018 PS 

Did you not read my next response

Any QB that could replace PW or JB were not released or did not make it through the waivers

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

You are right!

Ridiculous numbers at Boise St:

rushing                                               receiving

carries        yards     avg                 receptions   yards    avg

2014 (Fr)       17         159        9.4                          15           155      10.3

2015 (So)      240      1337       5.6                           51           460        9.0

2016 (Jr)       314      1709       5.4                           37           474      12.8

Career          571      3205       5.6                           103        1089     10.6

https://ninernoise.com/2018/06/18/49ers-2018-series-running-back-jeremy-mcnichols/

Agreed 

I only hope that the stuff that got him cut in TB and maybe SF has changed