Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to pick up a WR or 2?

Myles

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The time to have acquired one would have been early in FA when playmakers were available AND would have help drawn some of coverage away from TY.

After the preseason, it became very obvious we lack some WR's who can create separation.   I think a couple of the guys already dropped by other teams would improve our roster.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

After the preseason, it became very obvious we lack some WR's who can create separation.   I think a couple of the guys already dropped by other teams would improve our roster.  

Actually it was before FA even started that we knew WR position was a major need outside of TY.

Even JMV said repeatedly that there were ONLY 2 WR's on roster that have EVER CAUGHT A NFL PASS! 

And of them was Chester Rogers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually it was before FA even started that we knew WR position was a major need outside of TY.

Even JMV said repeatedly that there were ONLY 2 WR's on roster that have EVER CAUGHT A NFL PASS! 

Very true.   I think many were hoping Fountain or Cain would shine a bit and show us more potential.  I think they both disappointed a bit. 

13 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Christian Kirk was available at pick 46.  We had ammo to trade up.  We did for Lewis, and stood pat to take Turay.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000949545/article/cards-rookie-christian-kirk-turning-heads-in-wr-battle 

• Like 1

Already a few names I would be interested to see Ballard kick the tires on. Corey Coleman, Jeff Janis, Charles Johnson are a couple that could contribute.  All have had brief flashes of ability and success in the league, but overall their careers havent taken off. Could just take the right situation and maybe Reich is the guy to get the best out of one of them. 

We will see who else doesnt make the cut though. Lots of names still to be added to the list im sure. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Christian Kirk went pick 46.  We had ammo to trade up.  We did for Lewis, and stood pat to take Turay.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000949545/article/cards-rookie-christian-kirk-turning-heads-in-wr-battle 

Yes Kirk would have been a excellent pick. But still a rookie who a team as weak at WR shouldn't depend on. It wpuld have been wise along to drafting Kirk a top FA WR would also have been added.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yes Kirk would have been a excellent pick. But still a rookie who a team as weak at WR shouldn't depend on. It wpuld have been wise along to drafting Kirk a top FA WR would also have been added.

Wasn't a very good year for free agent wr.  Watkins, very inconsistent.  Robinson,  coming back from injury.   The fact the jags didn't even try to re sign him says a lot.   Paul Richardson,   meh

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We didn't even get Grant until late.  (who came available late after signing with the Skin).  But I think the FA class was pretty weak.

If we're going to build through the draft, I'd rather have had a starting #2 or slot guy like Kirk instead of rotational DL guys Turay and Lewis.  A starting punt returner too.

We're not going to get a quality #2 or #3 from the waiver wire at any time of the year, IMO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Christian Kirk was available at pick 46.  We had ammo to trade up.  We did for Lewis, and stood pat to take Turay.

Actually...    we traded down and took Turay.     We had pick 49...   fell back and picked Turay at 52.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Why is Coleman interesting?

He got dumped by Cleve and now dumped by Buffalo.    

So what makes him interesting?

Interesting because he was thought of as the best or one of the best WR in the draft 2 years ago.    After a quick Google search, that was the thought by most "experts".   

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

All those along with Pryor I would have liked much more than Grant.

You would have wanted Terrell Pryor more than grant?   Why??

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Interesting because he was thought of as the best or one of the best WR in the draft 2 years ago.    After a quick Google search, that was the thought by most "experts".   

He hasn't shown anything at all.   The browns dumped him for a 7th

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Well Pryor 2 years ago was a top 10 receiver with Browns QBs. Last year he underperformed and was injured. I mean if we could get the Pryor of 2 years ago paired with Luck then our WR problems would be significantly less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why is Coleman interesting?

He got dumped by Cleve and now dumped by Buffalo.    

So what makes him interesting?

There is interest in any skill player taken the first 2 days of the draft. I thought we might take a WR too had my eye on Pettis but  Grant is a solid player He was a complimentary piece during his time in Washington. Ozzie who is one of the better GM's in the league thought enough of him to try to lock him up with a 24M deal. Grant will see a larger role with us which is what he was looking for. 

We could have drafted any of the WR's in this draft and Grant is still the WR2 week 1. The guy isn't flashy but is solid and catches the ball. He will run solid routes and be where he supposed to be. He does all the little things like blocking for our RB's. I think he will win the fan base over pretty quickly could remind some of a poor mans 87. 

I think he's easily the best WR we've lined up across from TY since Reggie was here. That's not saying a lot really. We added Ebron this offseason too so teams are not going to be able to lock in on TY.  We are a little thin  at WR after Rogers for the most part due to injuries. 

There is no doubt we will be watching cuts and if Ballard thinks he can improve the group he will do it.  I don't see anything interesting about Coleman. I'd be surprised if that is an attitude CB brings into the locker room.  Floyd was ok a few years ago but is on the downward side of his career.

We won't be signing a WR2 or even a WR3 after cuts. The guy we bring in will be young with a high ceiling that can help on special teams. Hilton Grant and Rogers are the top 3 WR's this year unless there's an injury.  I personally hope Pascal gets a shot to show what he can do. I like what he's done so far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Well Pryor wasn't my first choice over the other WR FA's. But 2 seasons ago with the lowly Browns he was productive. Not to mention bigger & faster than Grant and has more upside.

• Like 1