Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Season of Slow Starts?

King Colt

The SF game brought memories of the Colts sitting on their hands for the first quarters and having to play catch up in the second half. Horrible defense against the run and the Colts were non-existant in their running game. Second half was "better". It's going to be a very long season if they can't start playing when the game starts regardless of who is on the field.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The SF game brought memories of the Colts sitting on their hands for the first quarters and having to play catch up in the second half. Horrible defense against the run and the Colts were non-existant in their running game. Second half was "better". It's going to be a very long season if they can't start playing when the game starts regardless of who is on the field.

You are aware of what using a vanilla offense means with nothing they’ll actually use in the regular season... Right? Or are you just complaining to complain?

6 minutes ago, King Colt said:

you do realize that the preseason is all about evaluating talent right not about winning....and not sure what you saw but we looked just as good as the 49ers

Clues to the truth about this team will be revealed after 1PM on September 9th. Everything up to that critical point in time is speculation on our parts. 

Reich is a first time coach, but he at least appears to be an intellectual. I'm reserving judgement until at least four or five games in to this season before making a conclusion to playcalling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Clues to the truth about this team will be revealed after 1PM on September 9th. Everything up to that critical point in time is speculation on our parts. 

Reich is a first time coach, but he at least appears to be an intellectual. I'm reserving judgement until at least four or five games in to this season before making a conclusion to playcalling. 

Same here.  We do NOT have any evidence to really say what the offense would look like or how bad/good the D will be.  Heck, we've not even had a full participation of our starting roster at kickoff yet. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

You are aware of what using a vanilla offense means with nothing they’ll actually use in the regular season... Right? Or are you just complaining to complain?

I am aware those were their starters.

12 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Really? It's the third Flipping preseason game. A very vanilla one at that. 

Bye Felicia 

The starters had the field.

12 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

You are aware those were the first stringers in the first quarter.

12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

you do realize that the preseason is all about evaluating talent right not about winning....and not sure what you saw but we looked just as good as the 49ers

If it's not about winning why did they go for two points in the second preseasoner? ALL games are about winning in the NFL.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

It's preseason football. Far less game planning and strategizing than regular season games. I feel like we should all know this by now. 

The problem with that premise is it applies to both teams and when one runs through the other it needs to be addressed. Problems are seldom solved in two weeks especially when the problem lingers for back-to-back seasons.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

It's preseason football. Far less game planning and strategizing than regular season games. I feel like we should all know this by now. 

Yeah, it does not matter whether a team wins or loses with the starters out there. The Colts lost preseason game two by going for two at the end of the game because winning does not matter.

It's not really fair to ridicule this poster. Although I can understand all the "rah rah" 2018 Colts team enthusiasm, the team has looked bad in many of the same aspects as years past. 

Our slow starts were usually caused by defense's inabillity to stop run and get off the field. along with our offense's poor running game and the O- line failing to pass protect. All of which have been happening with our 2018 first team starters on the field.

It seemed the defense was giving up 6-8 yards per carry when 49ers ran the ball in the first half... that has to be concerning. And along with our OT situation and lack of WRs and RBs one has to question the offense.

It's easy to make excuses that the vanilla play calling is the reason for our struggles, but until Reich shows us otherwise (with some non-vanilla playcalls) we really don't know what the offense actually will look like. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It's not really fair to ridicule this poster. Although I can understand all the "rah rah" 2018 Colts team enthusiasm, the team has looked bad in many of the same aspects as years past. 

Our slow starts were usually caused by defense's inabillity to stop run and get off the field. along with our offense's poor running game and the O- line failing to pass protect. All of which have been happening with our 2018 first team starters on the field.

It seemed the defense was giving up 6-8 yards per carry when 49ers ran the ball in the first half... that has to be concerning. And along with our OT situation and lack of WRs and RBs one has to question the offense.

It's easy to make excuses that the vanilla play calling is the reason for our struggles, but until Reich shows us otherwise (with some non-vanilla playcalls) we really don't know what the offense actually will look like. 

Preseason/TC is not about Wins or Losses or even about the games if that was the case PM would have been a flop

21 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Yeah, it does not matter whether a team wins or loses with the starters out there. The Colts lost preseason game two by going for two at the end of the game because winning does not matter.

Winning a preseason game doesn't matter.  They went for two to avoid the possibility of overtime, if they really wanted to win the game they would have kicked the extra point and tried for overtime.

13 hours ago, King Colt said:

I feel like they ran the same 4 plays over & over again, & that was by design. We'll have a much better idea what we can expect from the offense after a few weeks of regular season.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Preseason/TC is not about Wins or Losses or even about the games if that was the case PM would have been a flop

I never mentioned preseason wins and loses. Actually we are 2-1 in preseason.

I am concerned how the starting units look in these games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

Winning a preseason game doesn't matter.  They went for two to avoid the possibility of overtime, if they really wanted to win the game they would have kicked the extra point and tried for overtime.

Agreed. It also gave Reich an opportunity to practice situational football. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I feel like they ran the same 4 plays over & over again, & that was by design. We'll have a much better idea what we can expect from the offense after a few weeks of regular season.

I hope so. When we signed Reich I remember reading some of the older Chargers blogs where they complained Reich had been a Vanilla playcaller as their OC.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I never mentioned preseason wins and loses. Actually we are 2-1 in preseason.

I am concerned how the starting units look in these games.

Those are the Ones in name only

Lets look at the OL 

Nelson, Kelly and it appears Slausson are the only guaranteed starters who have played

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Lets look at the OL 

Nelson, Kelly and it appears Slausson are the only guaranteed starters who have played

Im not sure about Slauson he was out there with the backups last game

33 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If it's not about winning why did they go for two points in the second preseasoner? ALL games are about winning in the NFL.

Or maybe it was a situation that they were trying to work on? You know, since it’s the preseason and this is the time to do it.

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Lets look at the OL 

The defense was mostly healthy last game. And the starters were out there into the 3rd qtr.

36 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Google the preseason records of every Colts team from 1998 to 2011... 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It's called practicing situational football.  Aside from the fact that some of the starters are not on the field, the entire offense and defense are learning new schemes.  There are going to be struggles early on.  That should be expected.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I hope so. When we signed Reich I remember reading some of the older Chargers blogs where they complained Reich had been a Vanilla playcaller as their OC.

That may have been true back then. It would appear to me (recently) he has evolved himself into a more dynamic playcaller. The eagles did some damage last year with him as OC. Not saying he will blow the doors off with us, but I’m optimistic  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

That may have been true back then. It would appear to me (recently) he has evolved himself into a more dynamic playcaller. The eagles did some damage last year with him as OC. Not saying he will blow the doors off with us, but I’m optimistic  

I think Doug Pederson calls their plays. But like I said. The jury is still out.

We just cannot take for granted Reich is such a dynamic play caller. He hasnt show anything yet. Be it by design... or whatever?

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I think Doug Pederson calls their plays. But like I said. The jury is still out.

We just cannot take for granted Reich is such a dynamic play caller. He hasnt show anything yet. Be it by design... or whatever?

He had a nice run in Indy

Philly was a 3 headed monster of Playcalling while Pederson called the plays Reich and DeFillipo had a say in them

20 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I dont need to that. I get your point.

This debate is best to be discussed Sept 9 at 5:00pm

more like December 30th, at 4pm... One game will not define this team.  Only after week 17 will we truly know...