Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Should Trade for Khalil Mack (UPDATE: traded to Chicago)

Luck2Hilton4TD

13 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Offer John Simon, a 2019 first and/or second. If the Raiders say no, hang up & move on.

i dobut simon would move the needle much, though i do like what he brings here

in 5 years he has 13 sacks 

21 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This is the 1 time where I'd be fine with it. The past 5 years this forum has been pounding the table for edge rushers, & now a proven elite EDGE is on the trading block & we don't want to pull the trigger because it'd cost a high draft pick?

I get that it'd go against Ballard's philosophy of building through the draft, but this move could significantly reduce the time of the rebuild on the defensive side of the ball. At the very least, the Colts should be calling the Raiders to see what it'd cost.

I agree. Opportunities like this don't around that often and while the price could be high, you're looking at a massive game-changer at one of the team's most critical positions, especially with how the defensive scheme has changed this year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

I agree. Opportunities like this don't around that often and while the price could be high, you're looking at a massive game-changer at one of the team's most critical positions, especially with how the defensive scheme has changed this year.

He's a perfect fit for our scheme, and an absolute freak. He could legitimately be the difference between having a 7-9 record or making a deep playoff run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's a perfect fit for our scheme, and an absolute freak. He could legitimately be the difference between having a 7-9 record or making a deep playoff run.

And before you know it  below .500 in a few years because we lost potential starters in a trade and/or cap space

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They have $51mil right now. Sign him to an extension immediately, frontload it with half of the contract guaranteed. Where's the risk?

man i don't know.  I'm not sold on Mack.  What if we trade that for him, he refuses to extend and then we're forced to Tag him or let him go?  I just don't like the idea of trading for a player in their contract year.

• Like 1

heres what id offer, our first and second next year

if that doesnt get close then walk away, if they want another late pick or mid tier player then maybe consider it

Just now, NewEra said:

Okay serious question. I'm out of the loop and really don't know. But if such a stud why is he on the trading block in the first place?

he wants QB money

• Like 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Okay serious question. I'm out of the loop and really don't know. But if such a stud why is he on the trading block in the first place?

He's refusing to show up to the Raiders for camp or practice or games until he gets paid as the highest paid player on D.  Plus an alleged feud with Gruden already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

man i don't know.  I'm not sold on Mack.  What if we trade that for him, he refuses to extend and then we're forced to Tag him or let him go?  I just don't like the idea of trading for a player in their contract year.

The whole reason that he's holding out in the first place is because the Raiders won't give him an extension right now. And I don't see Ballard trading for him unless he agrees to sign an extension right then & there.

• Like 1

Yeah, I lean toward being cautious about giving up two 1st's for him, which is what I think it'd take. Can't really see Ballard giving up that much but hey, who knows.

I really like Mack, and I don't think we'd be getting anybody of Mack's caliber with either of those two picks, but if we're not great next year we could get a stud on the DL from this upcoming class. Not to mention we'd probably have those two 1st rounders for a lot longer than Mack and throughout their early/mid 20s.

Plus there's the fact that we still have to negotiate with him, and there's a chance we wouldn't come to an agreement. And I really like Ballard, but if there's one thing I've noticed it's that he really pushes the "We have a price and will stick to it" narrative a lot. Not that that wouldn't change, especially if he gives up a lot to get him, but still.

• Like 3

I dont see Ballard ever giving 1st round picks away...regardless of the player and what he would bring to the team. 

Ballard has a plan, and it doesn't involve trading draft picks for players, or spending big money on players he didn't draft. I don't see any players on our roster that is going to be getting big dollar contracts soon. Slow and steady, smart drafting and team building. 

I would be floored if he made a move like this... especially without a year in a new defensive scheme to evaluate what we already have and what was drafted this year. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He's refusing to show up to the Raiders for camp or practice or games until he gets paid as the highest paid player on D.  Plus an alleged feud with Gruden already.

I'm out, red flags already. Not today Haynesworth, not today....

• Like 1

No player is every “worth” anything on this forum. Guys get excited when Ballard dumpster dives for a player who has already been cut by two other teams and sign him.

People even treat 4th round draft picks like they’re gold.   

A Pass Rusher as good as Mack and as young is with a lot. Ballard needs to picking that phone up and trying to see what he can do. 

Pass Rush has sucked for a very long time and can help fix those “holes” faster

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's an All-Pro EDGE & DPOY winner. And Jon Gruden wants "his guys," whatever that means.

Everyone wants guys they are comfortable with and/or know their system

That is why Matt Patricia brought multiple Patriots alum to Detroit and every Chief FA/cut has been connected to Indy and the same every Eagle castoff during

Grigon’s Tenure

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

No player is every “worth” anything on this forum. Guys get excited when Ballard dumpster dives for a player who has already been cut by two other teams and sign him.

A Pass Rusher as good as Mack and as young is with a lot. Ballard needs to picking that phone up and trying to see what he can do. 

Seriously. Everyone freaks out every year when we don't do anything in free agency, now we're looking into trading for an elite edge rusher, & there are people freaking out over draft picks. I don't get it. Pleasing this fanbase is like pulling teeth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I would love to have Mack but not at the wrong price 

People are so worried about the picks.  Here's the humorous thing about that:  chances are you're gonna have to use one of those picks on a pass rusher.

If you make this move and Turay develops into a viable second option, you have the second most important position on the team solved for the next 7-8 years.  How much easier does the defense then become to build?  How much easier does the team become to build?

If I am the Raiders I want (minimum ) 2  1st round picks ( and start the conversation by asking for 3  1st round picks) . Come this Halloween …… 95 % probability Mr. Mack will still be a Raider so for me this is a dead subject.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #12. said:

People are so worried about the picks.  Here's the humorous thing about that:  chances are you're gonna have to use one of those picks on a pass rusher.

If you make this move and Turay develops into a viable second option, you have the second most important position on the team solved for the next 7-8 years.  How much easier does the defense then become to build?  How much easier does the team become to build?

Not quite because you would have to resign Turay and Mack would be in his mid 30s plus resigned for it to last for 7-8 years

wait a year draft a rusher and have have the 7-8 with both under Rookie contracts

12 minutes ago, #12. said:

Before we traded the #3 pick, EVERYONE wanted us to use it on Chubb. Aside from the fact that we would've had him on a rookie deal for 4 years, I don't see the difference.

• Like 1

So we want to trade away the future for a guy who made DPOY in 2016, but didn't fair so well in 2017? Then gamble on if he'll resign with us or have to use the tag to force him to stay. All while we know he wants a rediculous contract in the first place. The same guy who is holding out from camp now because he wants an extension NOW!  

Not with the drama crap. Who's to say he won't get his little panties in a bunch and pull some crap if we traded for him? 

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Before we traded the #3 pick, EVERYONE wanted us to use it on Chubb. Aside from the fact that we would've had him on a rookie deal for 4 years, I don't see the difference.

I wanted Nelson, even at 3.

• Thanks 1