Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we be worried?

BProland85

There is going to be constant overreaction for a few years over the evaluation of the new regime, because there was constant overreaction to the previous regime. Many people invested heavily that previous management was the cause for the Colts demise, and that new management are the saviors.

When you make that extreme of a commitment, every single action is reason for evaluation,  constantly looking for any sign you were right, and extremely worried that there may be signs you were wrong.

And its just football, for heaven's sake.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, BProland85 said:

I am hearing reports that guys like Basham, Turay, Quincy Wilson and Tyquan Lewis are either underperforming or are injured. I think we have to have multiple impact players from the 2017 and 2018 draft classes considering those were Ballard's picks. We don't need anymore setbacks to this roster. 

One thing hasn't changed. Guys need time to develop in a system.
You are right that someday, a number of our draft picks MUST become very good for us to compete at the highest level.  Yawn!

Colts actually have a decent draft history-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/04/24/when-it-comes-to-the-nfl-draft-nobody-does-it-quite-like-the-colts/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6a55ca29b70b

Polian has said on air that if you as a GM hit on around 55% of your draft picks in your GM career, you'll get a Gold Jacket. By hit, I assume player (eventually) becomes a solid starter (or better) for 3 years or more.

On top of this, we all know that the Chris Polian and Ryan Grigson years (2010 - 2014) negatively impacted the Colts drafts.  Ballard seems to be following the Bill Polian concept in many ways.  I believe Reggie McKenzie of the Raiders also followed a similar path and pulled what appeared to be a joke of a franchise back into respectability.  But Mark Davis has now decided to bring Jon Gruden back in to the Raider fold to spice up the roster with veteran players now as well.

To me, it doesn't matter where they were drafted, but just over half of these drafted players need to (hopefully quickly) become starters for us to return to the upper echelon of the NFL again. I do like the stand pat, or trade down mindset Ballard seems to have.

When the time comes, I'll be in for bringing a a nicer veteran player that will produce consistently well over his new contract time frame and fits in culture wise. 

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember last season, not everyone who's saying "I'm all good, win or lose" is telling the truth- in total. I'd be lying if I said I "didn't care". I do care, not obsessively and not for an excessive amount of time, but let's get real here, that 05' playoff loss? That sucked. Losing to the Aint's? That sucked too.

It's not the caring that's the issue, it's the obsession turning into rage guy who breaks TV's or something to that effect (imo). There's fans who annoy/scare me too.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:01 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

Personally, I try real hard not to worry about things I have no control over.

I love the game of football, I watch it, I study it, I coach it.  I am going to enjoy the season no matter what, I'm not going to worry about whether players are injured (they are and they will be) or underperforming (there are alway players that underperform, that is why the draft is considered an art not a science.

I mean, really, did people expect Ballard to hit on everyone of his draft picks?  especially from his very first draft (2017).

I think the main concern for most fans is that when you are building a team via draft, you had better have a pretty high success rate with those picks. Now, some patience is needed for sure, these are young guys who need some coaching. But when the tad bit of feedback that reaches us common folk fans is negative, it leads to questioning. And we need CBall to be dang Picasso, not Bob Ross. He chose to do it this way. His success in draft picks so far are from cant miss prospects. He also passed on many as well for our guys. Keepin the faith though.

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm outraged that the team doesn't look super bowl ready after the 1st preseason game. Fire and cut everybody now.

Yeah I still can't believe we didn't trade Andrew to the Browns for their #1 pick and Myles Garrett and Drafted Josh Allen since Andrew will never play another down :funny::lol::spit: