Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we be worried?

BProland85

I am hearing reports that guys like Basham, Turay, Quincy Wilson and Tyquan Lewis are either underperforming or are injured. I think we have to have multiple impact players from the 2017 and 2018 draft classes considering those were Ballard's picks. We don't need anymore setbacks to this roster. 

This isn't a super bowl or bust season so I'm good with whatever, as long as #12 plays all season.

In reality it's Ballard's behind who is on the line if we don't turn this around (not ours) by the end of next year.

Just relax and watch honestly. Nothing we can do at this point.

It’s hard to underperform as a rookie without having played more than one pre-season game. Cmon man this thread is seriously unneeded. Do colts fans need to feel like % is going to hit the fan? Do colts fans need the colts to suck? I’m starting to think so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we should be worried...yet. Unless you were expecting immediate impact from the draft class...which isn't really fair. I am looking for development and improvement this season...as well as how the new system operates. That will help me to see Ballard's overall plan better and get behind it. Because right now...I am still in wait and see mode.

And to be honest, I didn't care for either of the picks you referenced...so I wouldn't be all that surprised.  

• Like 2

Just now, shastamasta said:

I don't think we should be worried...yet. Unless you were expecting immediate impact from the draft class...which isn't really fair. I am looking for development and improvement this season...as well as how the new system operates. That will help me to see Ballard's overall plan better and get behind it. Because right now...I am still in wait and see mode.

And to be honest, I didn't care for either of the picks you referenced...so I wouldn't be all that surprised.  

This... 

I have seen a lot that says certain players are "underperforming." To whom's expectations? Ballards? We don't know what his expectations are with these guys leading up to the start of the season, but I can assure that it isn't the same as the Bob Kravitz' of the world that are reporting on the progress of camp and us fanatic's discussing it on this forum...

Are we going to say the same when one of those players mentioned goes out in week one and has a really nice game? I'm not worried about anything right now outside of tomorrow and Saturday's joint practices, and hoping for injury free and no team brawls to watch online. That's what I'm worried about. The progress of our draft picks?... Through training camp, when it is going to take a couple years to develop them to where Ballard expects them to be? Not in the least. 

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This... 

I have seen a lot that says certain players are "underperforming." To whom's expectations? Ballards? We don't know what his expectations are with these guys leading up to the start of the season, but I can assure that it isn't the same as the Bob Kravitz' of the world that are reporting on the progress of camp and us fanatic's discussing it on this forum...

Are we going to say the same when one of those players mentioned goes out in week one and has a really nice game? I'm not worried about anything right now outside of tomorrow and Saturday's joint practices, and hoping for injury free and no team brawls to watch online. That's what I'm worried about. The progress of our draft picks?... Through training camp, when it is going to take a couple years to develop them to where Ballard expects them to be? Not in the least. 

Does it say who?.

No.

It’s way,  WAY too early to be worried.  The injuries to Turey and Lewis are not serious and they’re said to be back soon.

Wilson and Basham will be in the rotation.   They WILL play.   Whether they start or not is still up in the air.  But it’s way, WAY too early to think either is a bust.

Keep your powder dry.   The season is LOOOONG.   These guys will play and make an impact.  

No need to worry.........     yet. 

• Like 1

I'll reserve my opinions until the end of the regular season.  At this point, we won't know who's going to under perform.  There are a lot of factors throughout the season.  Players could under perform during TC and pre-season and end up having a breakout year.

Too early to worry.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I am hearing reports that guys like Basham, Turay, Quincy Wilson and Tyquan Lewis are either underperforming or are injured. I think we have to have multiple impact players from the 2017 and 2018 draft classes considering those were Ballard's picks. We don't need anymore setbacks to this roster. 

Before you start worrying about rookies and second year players still underperforming... I suggest you look up the players that took a few years before the switch turned on. Reggie Wayne, Bethea, Lynch, among those names. Too early to tell just yet

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This... 

How are we even really supposed to judge at this point? The defense is at an obvious disadvantage...

Even if it were the 85 Bears, when it's Andrew Luck facing the same unit day in & day out, he's going to figure them out eventually, especially since pass rushers aren't allowed to hit him. Combine that with the fact that neither starting safety has been on the field with the 1s for more than a handful of snaps, along with a few other injured defensive starters... it's not going to look good.

16 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Thanks for this perspective.  I used to fret over the Colts way more than I should.  I remember not sleeping well for 2 weeks after Indy lost to the Pats in the 2003 AFCCG.  But with age comes wisdom and a recognition of what truly matters.

We are 5 years this past week my daughter having open heart surgery when she was just 6 weeks old.  That will give you perspective on what should truly cause worry and under-performing / injured players on my favorite NFL team ain't it.

Yep, that'll do it for ya.

Sorry to hear you had to go through that, and hope she's doing well.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say we should be worried, but I do think it’s fair to evaluate them based on performance or lack there of so far. It’s not indicative of what they might become, but we can take a look at where they stand currently.

Turay was oft injured in college and here he is, injured in the NFL. No surprise there. 

Wilson was a backup last year and with a new coaching staff and fresh eyes, he’s a backup once more.

Basham hasn’t shown much, last year nor this year so far, but it’s still early.

wait and see for Lewis.

Right now I'm holding steady and waiting for meaningful gametape in the new system and with the new coaches before I have any sort of strong takeaways from the draft picks. BUT... with that said, the reports are indeed no very encouraging especially for Basham and Wilson.

I have no idea why Wilson was playing like 10-12 yards off the LOS and still backpedaling at the snap in game 1. Is that what he's being asked to do by the coaches? Is this the scheme? Or does he have no awareness and judgement of distance? Or is he that scared he will get beat deep? We will get freaking destroyed if that's what they are asking him to do.  He needs to jam the receiver close to the LOS IMO. That's why we have 2 safeties and a MLB in deep coverage on passing downs ... so they would help on deep routes. What he was doing is practically giving up 8-12 yard completions every single time his receiver was targeted simply because he was giving him that much of a cushion at the snap.  I have no idea what he or the coaching staff are thinking. This makes no sense whatsoever. 

I was never a fan of the Basham pick and I still haven't seen anything to convince me he can be even a rotational guy in the league...

...but then again... those are my very preliminary and early thoughts on them. I still want to see them play more games before I give up on them. In fact I'm OK giving them the full season to try to figure it out. Well unless Turay really pops as much as to get to first team snaps, which he was doing before  he got injured. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Right now I'm holding steady and waiting for meaningful gametape in the new system and with the new coaches before I have any sort of strong takeaways from the draft picks. BUT... with that said, the reports are indeed no very encouraging especially for Basham and Wilson.

This I agree with completely. Not worried, in the wait and see group, new coaches, new scheme, young players. At the same time however, I am also not encouraged by the reports. I think that's only fair since if the reports were the opposite, if the word was Basham and Wilson were having a great camp, people would be eating it up.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Worry?  No.  I have enough genuinely important things to worry about.  Professional Football isn’t one of them.

That said, I think we have to have tempered expectations for the next couple years.  

Offensively, we’ve got a QB coming off a nearly 2 year injury hiatus.  We’re thin at receiver.  We have question marks at RB.

Defensively, we’re young and inexperienced.  There’s some talent there.  There’s some speed there.  But I’d be surprised if our D isn’t in the bottom ten in the league this year.

We’re also in a division that has clearly gotten stronger over the past few seasons.

So, yeah, I’m not expecting a 10+-win season. If we get to 8-8 this season, I’ll consider it an achievement.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, I am worried. Worried about where our society is going. We have given total control over to corporations, allowed digital media to control our lives, phone companies to enslave us to never ending contracts, and we have given up personal freedoms all in the name of convenient entertainment, known as the cell phone. 

Did I mention we are quickly losing our ability to write our own language, communicate face to face with each other, and .............. oh..............this is about football? Like....worried about football?

Lol...no. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Thanks for this perspective.  I used to fret over the Colts way more than I should.  I remember not sleeping well for 2 weeks after Indy lost to the Pats in the 2003 AFCCG.  But with age comes wisdom and a recognition of what truly matters.

We are 5 years this past week my daughter having open heart surgery when she was just 6 weeks old.  That will give you perspective on what should truly cause worry and under-performing / injured players on my favorite NFL team ain't it.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Last spring & summer I Lost my beloved fiance and then my dad within 3 and a half months!

So yes sports and Colts/Yankees in perspective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Basham and Wilson = Very Worried

Lewis and Turay = Somewhat Worried

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Interestingly enough, I am worried. Worried about where our society is going. We have given total control over to corporations, allowed digital media to control our lives, phone companies to enslave us to never ending contracts, and we have given up personal freedoms all in the name of convenient entertainment, known as the cell phone. 

Did I mention we are quickly losing our ability to write our own language, communicate face to face with each other, and .............. oh..............this is about football? Like....worried about football?

Lol...no. 

I would change given total control over to non profit organizations rather than corporations... but the rest is right on the money.