Freeney Could Be Out In Indy

1959Colts

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not surprised if its true.

Huge cap figure and I thought I remember him saying he doesnt want to be a stand up rusher in a new defense too.

no keith bulluck said he doesnt think freeney would wanna play standing up

I think personally if you keep them both, you stay in a 4-3. Which may be better with the Colts current personnel anyway. Even in the Hybrid where the RDE plays DT and Freeney would put his hand back in the ground, Mathis is the OLB, nobody knows how that transition will pan out... It's very risky..

I've been saying this for awhile now, and I hope he gets traded for high draft picks if possible. As much as I like Freeney, we can survive without him. We still have Mathis, Hughes, and most likely Wheeler to rush the passer from the LB spot, plus whoever we may add in the draft.

If he is going to cost us too much money, try and get some draft picks in return for him and get talent and youth elsewhere.

It is all just Florio Speculation. If Mario Williams can play OLB, Freeney should have no problem.Plus with Mathis and Freeney moving all around you could have some nasty alignments. Could you imagine a look with Freeney with his hand on the ground and Mathis standing up beside him?

Not sure I can believe that story either. Just because he doesn't currently have an agent does not mean he won't renegotiate the contract. That's common practice with guys in the latter stages of their contracts.

Pagano has said he's excited to have him. They can work the money out.

Someday I have to learn to keep reading junk like that article :) The HC refers to the "game wreckers" and signs the one NOT under contract and releases the one UNDER contract? Give me a break. I want a gig where I just get to make up stuff all day.

he has no pass coverage skills so him dropping back as an OL in a modified 34 is a liability.

when mathis got signed to a 4 year it pretty much signaled the end of Freeney's days here.

He has been great to watch. A real game changer.

Mathis' deal has nothing to do with Freeney's contract, which was structured to be addressed this year regardless.

And even if we were to use Freeney as an OLB, that doesn't mean he would be dropping into coverage.

I'm really confused, we could lose Manning, Wayne, Garçon, Saturday, and Freeney and STILL be in a bad cap situation? How does that not free up unbelievable cap room if all those guys are released? It makes absolutely no sense to me, to not to hit the FA market and sign a couple solid players if we lose all of the aforementioned fellow Colts. If so someone must have really been doing a bad job.

19,035,000 2012 Cap hit if playing
5,000,000 2012 Dead Cap Space if cut or traded
14,035,000 2012 Savings

Thanks FJC.

It pains me to say it, but pull the trigger on this. We could sign 3 2nd tier free agents for that money and be better off as a team for it.

I'm really confused, we could lose Manning, Wayne, Garçon, Saturday, and Freeney and STILL be in a bad cap situation? How does that not free up unbelievable cap room if all those guys are released? It makes absolutely no sense to me, to not to hit the FA market and sign a couple solid players if we lose all of the aforementioned fellow Colts. If so someone must have really been doing a bad job.

Yes, his name was Chris Polian

I really like freeney but this number against the cap is way to much especially since we are rebuilding and have several other issues. We can't wrap all our money up on two DE/OLB for this new defense. I hope he restructures and we work a few more contracts so we can be a factor in free agency. That's just my opinion though.

Out of the guys you mentioned, if we lose Wayne, Garcon & Saturday there are no cap penalties.

Manning(10.4) & Freeney (5.0) would have 15.4 million of our 2012 cap tied up in players no longer on the team if they are released or about 12 to 13% of the salary cap.

2011 (rounded figures)

Manning 16

Freeney 16.4

Saturday 4.8

Wayne 8.0

Garcon 0.6

So when compared to 2011, those 5 guys would count roughly 33% of what they did in 2011, if none of them are on the roster. So it is clearing up quite a bit of space, but dead cap space takes away from it.

They need to renegotiate his contract, not release him, without him we have absolutely no pass rush as Mathis will constantly be double teamed. Bring it down to about 13.5M to save about 6M in cap space. If he wants his friends to stay, he'll do it.

For "news", this is ancient history. The spark for this revelation seems to be the fact that the writer just realized that Freeney's agent died. That's actually pretty sad, but it's irrelevant. If he renegotiates, it will be because the Colts approach him about it. He'll have a new agent about 10 minutes later.

More important is the fact that he still looked terrific last year. All those who are talking as if the Colts will have a 3-4 next year need to remember that in the same press conferences we were told that it would be a transition, and also flexible - with a lot of 4-3. We were told that you make the system fit the talent. Well we have incredible talent on the roster right now at DE. I find it hard to believe that Freeney will be tossed aside in a desperate rush to shoe-horn the team into a 3-4. Makes no sense based on anything we've heard from inside the Colts.

If Freeney gets released, it will likely be because the Colts decided that they needed to reduce his salary cap hit, and they couldn't come to terms about an extension. That's only an issue if one side or the other is completely unreasonable (Freeney thinking he can play until age 38, the Colts wanting him to take a pay cut on his annual number). Freeney is still one of the most disruptive defensive lineman in football. If they release him then finding a replacement (probably with a high draft pick) becomes a priority. With all the other concerns, that seems like a waste to me.

He's good as gone then!

Not necessarily. If Pagano feels he can work him into the system, then they could give him 15 million as a signing bonus, and extend his contract 3 years and pay him base salaries of 1,9,10 and his cap hits would be 11, 14 & 15.

Still expensive, but he's not going to be cheap.

I dont understand why some look at the cap and say "oh he needs to go". At what percentage do you determine the cap hit is to much? The cap was MUCH worse when Freeny signed the contract why NOW say get rid of him? I just dont get cutting/trading ANY player for cap reasons if that player is productive. You are replacing a known for an unknown to free up room to spend money on the unknown. Sounds backwards logic to me.