Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Heard On The Radio Tonight.....

Jules

Harbaugh was traded to Baltimore and you are correct to make room for Manning. I do believe there was a practice squad QB on the roster possibly two?

We kept Kelly Holcomb to be Peyton's back up who went on to be a part-time starter with the Cleveland Browns.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will only hate on Luck if he replaces Manning and turns out to be a dud. If he turns out to be Manning 2.0, I will gladly wear his jersey. I still want Irsay to be either all in with Manning or all in with Luck.

I think Luck will turn out to be a very good Luck 1,0, which will be very different than PM. And I think that will be enough for you to gladly wear his jersey.

But but it's Andrew Luck, the world has never seen anything like Andrew Luck.

We should hope so. I get your point, but why are we sure he won't be "good enough".

It seems to me that the "all or nothing" attitudes going in 10 directions are drowning out the simple issue.

Peyton and Luck have 0% to do with anything in relation to each others game. Luck looks great, and 20 teams would be excited at the possibilities of having him under center this year.

We should hope so. I get your point, but why are we sure he won't be "good enough".

It seems to me that the "all or nothing" attitudes going in 10 directions are drowning out the simple issue.

Peyton and Luck have 0% to do with anything in relation to each others game. Luck looks great, and 20 teams would be excited at the possibilities of having him under center this year.

They have 100% to do with each others game.

There is only one ball.

I've explained my thoughts on "change" Ad nauseam. I don't see a big enough change for it to matter.

Oh and the quote, you quoted was a response to some of the Manninghate going on.

Healthy competition is good. I'm truly amazed at the responses here. If Manning is back to his best, then clearly there is only one winner. And if not, then it will be a fair and true test.

We know what happens when there is no vying for the job - we don't have a back-up plan which we surely need.

We are in danger of relying on reputation, and look how well that went with Marvin.

I find it sad that most are not willing to support this kid. It really doesn't need to be 'one or the other'.

Healthy competition is good. I'm truly amazed at the responses here. If Manning is back to his best, then clearly there is only one winner. And if not, then it will be a fair and true test.

We know what happens when there is no vying for the job - we don't have a back-up plan which we surely need.

We are in danger of relying on reputation, and look how well that went with Marvin.

I find it sad that most are not willing to support this kid. It really doesn't need to be 'one or the other'.

Interesting you brought up Marvin. Looking back at some old games recently I sometimes don't think he is nearly appreciated enough. I am not sure I even gave him enough credit at times. He was quite the talent.

Interesting you brought up Marvin. Looking back at some old games recently I sometimes don't think he is nearly appreciated enough. I am not sure I even gave him enough credit at times. He was quite the talent.

And how quickly the fan base gave up on him when he stopped burning it up. What have you done for me lately indeed. With the Manning / Luck scenario (which I very much doubt will happen), our coaches MUST allow the kid a chance. We let PM dictate the practice sessions for years, and it killed us.

Those saying it is an 'insult' to the GOAT to actually have to compete are missing the bigger picture. Even if it is an unfair competition. Give the rookie some incentive and some chance at glory, it's all part of his development.....

And how quickly the fan base gave up on him when he stopped burning it up. What have you done for me lately indeed. With the Manning / Luck scenario (which I very much doubt will happen), our coaches MUST allow the kid a chance. We let PM dictate the practice sessions for years, and it killed us.

Those saying it is an 'insult' to the GOAT to actually have to compete are missing the bigger picture. Even if it is an unfair competition. Give the rookie some incentive and some chance at glory, it's all part of his development.....

I 100% agree with this post. I also think i gave up on Marvin too quickly looking back. I could also be giving up on Peyton too quickly. It's a harsh business and really in the end I guess maybe I don't have as much loyalty as I thought to players. They are not my family or friends. They are players who play for my football team and provide entertainment. I don't feel as if I personally owe anything to Manning nor do I feel the Colts do either after years and years of paying him well and people treating him like a God in Indiana.

And yes Luck deserves a shot too IMO. I don't think we are going to spend the first pick in the entire draft on a kid to play patty cake with the practice squad for a few years.

I still think Manning is gone. If he comes back it's for one year but I am not sure he does this. He can get a better deal with another team.

ok let's look on the abstract. If this were to happen there are a few factors to look at.

from the physical aspect, Luck can make all the throws a healthy Manning can make and being a young buck he is faster, stronger and more mobile. The thing is for the past decade+ there were many QB's that are faster, stronger, more mobile and better arm than Manning. So this doesn't prove anything at all even if Luck beats out Manning in training camp, because all these attributes is what wins starting jobs.

the question is can Luck win games? does he have ability to win in the NFL? Peyton has this ability and has field general mechanics that are so insanely powerful that he doesn't even need to have all these attributes mentioned in the first paragraph. Does Andrew Luck have what it takes to win besides physical attributes?

so if you think on the abstract and make Luck vs. Manning in training camp, it's impossible to determine who would be better for the starting job even if Luck has better arm or runs a faster 40. This means nothing.

You can also look at it this way, let's say Manning beats out Luck for the starting job because he obviously has been there and done that and responds better to coverages, then what was the point of drafting Luck if he can't even beat out a QB that is in the last years of his career?

Now my question is, why can't Luck come out and be genuine and say, yes! I wanna sit a few years and learn!

So, let's see. Peyton should want to finish his career so badly at Indy that he should agree to turn down the $28 million, restructure his contract for vet minimum, agree to a 1 year deal only, and fight with a rookie for the starting spot. All while turning away about 7 teams who'd be willing to give him the moon. Yup, that will happen.

Peyton has proven again and again that there is no other like him, there is also no way to predict how he would react to an offer like that. He was paid $25 million last year so money isn't the point, playing on his terms is.

Peyton has proven again and again that there is no other like him, there is also no way to predict how he would react to an offer like that. He was paid $25 million last year so money isn't the point, playing on his terms is.

Good point subvet. PM did accept $26.4MM last season for not playing. If he gave that money back to the Colts, maybe the Colts can put together an attractive offer that will be competitive?

Good point subvet. PM did accept $26.4MM last season for not playing. If he gave that money back to the Colts, maybe the Colts can put together an attractive offer that will be competitive?

It was unspoken that the money from last year would be considered for this year as he didn't play for it. Thats why I have believed all along money isn't part of the equation, because he might feel he didn't "earn" it until he worked for it.

I know it's a reach but it's a new angle for discussion anyway.

ok let's look on the abstract. If this were to happen there are a few factors to look at.

from the physical aspect, Luck can make all the throws a healthy Manning can make and being a young buck he is faster, stronger and more mobile. The thing is for the past decade+ there were many QB's that are faster, stronger, more mobile and better arm than Manning. So this doesn't prove anything at all even if Luck beats out Manning in training camp, because all these attributes is what wins starting jobs.

the question is can Luck win games? does he have ability to win in the NFL? Peyton has this ability and has field general mechanics that are so insanely powerful that he doesn't even need to have all these attributes mentioned in the first paragraph. Does Andrew Luck have what it takes to win besides physical attributes?

so if you think on the abstract and make Luck vs. Manning in training camp, it's impossible to determine who would be better for the starting job even if Luck has better arm or runs a faster 40. This means nothing.

You can also look at it this way, let's say Manning beats out Luck for the starting job because he obviously has been there and done that and responds better to coverages, then what was the point of drafting Luck if he can't even beat out a QB that is in the last years of his career?

Now my question is, why can't Luck come out and be genuine and say, yes! I wanna sit a few years and learn!

"A Royale with cheese".

I agree that PM's incredible storehouse of coverage memories and the ability to disseminate that information at the LOS with a play-clock winding down that makes even a 80% healthy PM hands down better next season that even a historic rookie season out of Luck. The real question is....will PM be better the second year....the third? Would Luck lose his mojo and would we be able to afford a 1 year dance? A two year dance? Three year?

To me, 4 years is simply out of the question for Luck to wait in the wings, not to mention the fact that is likely impossible to finance along with a solid team. Three years, would work for PM, but that is a long time for Luck to wait. Only 2 trips to the big dance would be worth it for the fans, for PM, and for Luck to feel good about it. Two years would work, imo for Luck, but not for Manning. Why come back for a 2 year stint while retooling. I just can't see him agreeing to a two year. One year works perfect for Luck, worst scenario for Manning. He could get injured again and his last paycheck just floated out the window.

I wish there was a better solution, but I have a hard time swallowing one.

It was unspoken that the money from last year would be considered for this year as he didn't play for it. Thats why I have believed all along money isn't part of the equation, because he might feel he didn't "earn" it until he worked for it.

I know it's a reach but it's a new angle for discussion anyway.

If he actually did give it back, it may have positive cap consequences.

However, it also may be that you are just projecting your wishful thinking on him.

I don't think people will give back money they were contractually paid.

To me, 4 years is simply out of the question for Luck to wait in the wings, not to mention the fact that is likely impossible to finance along with a solid team.

It is much easier to finance Luck for his 4 years which will total something like $23.1MM. Compare that to PM's option bonus due March 8 of $28MM. For that option bonus payment, you could finance all of Luck's 4 years as a Colt, and still have $5MM leftover as change.

However, it also may be that you are just projecting your wishful thinking on him.

Of course not, there are no give backs and I am definitely thinking wishfully because I don't believe in getting paid for something I didn't do....and no, I have never accepted an unemployment check.

I wish there was a better solution, but I have a hard time swallowing one.

the better solution is show respect for the one that made this team an elite squad for decade+

Let him retire here even if it means passing up on the best QB prospect since the man himself

I know my opinions are back and forth on this, but It would be a waste to have Luck sit even for 1 year. Peyton didn't sit.

the best solution is bite the bullet and not draft him. Trade the pick and build the defense.

I assumed Sub was talking about giving it back in a virtual sense (subtracting it from any future deal). In effect his new contract would virtually add 26 odd million....well, that's how I took it...

the better solution is show respect for the one that made this team an elite squad for decade+

Let him retire here even if it means passing up on the best QB prospect since the man himself

I know my opinions are back and forth on this, but It would be a waste to have Luck sit even for 1 year. Peyton didn't sit.

the best solution is bite the bullet and not draft him. Trade the pick and build the defense.

Agree to disagree. Keep them both.

I assumed Sub was talking about giving it back in a virtual sense (subtracting it from any future deal). In effect his new contract would virtually add 26 odd million....well, that's how I took it...

Yeah, I understood subvet to mean it figuratively, and not literally.

I was just pointing out the benefits of it being literal...it could basically blow up the current contract and the cap hit associated with it. Or at least an argument could have been made.

Compare that to PM's option bonus due March 8 of $28MM.

even if that bonus was 100M, that is still underpaid for what Peyton has done here

Peyton is and was underpaid for everything he has done and brought to this team, this city and these fans.

Underrated and Underpaid GOAT

I know my opinions are back and forth on this, but It would be a waste to have Luck sit even for 1 year. Peyton didn't sit.p

I can respect most of your opinion on this apart from the 'respect' angle. That is not a reason to base a crucial business decision on. EVER.

I can respect most of your opinion on this apart from the 'respect' angle. That is not a reason to base a crucial business decision on. EVER.

it's a reason to base things on sentimentality

if we were drafting a rookie to replace and release Saturday just because that rookie is the best C prospect ever, I would feel the same exact way.

if we were drafting a rookie to replace and release Saturday just because that rookie is the best C prospect ever, I would feel the same exact way.

Easy for us fans to think that way, but not the owners.....but I get what you are saying.

Except we aren't going to relase Peyton Manning just because Andrew Luck is the best QB prospect since Elway. Frankly I think they are two different decisions.

I think we are taking Luck rather we keep Manning or not. We are thinking about releasing Peyton because you can't lock yourself into the contract with him over the next four years without knowing for sure if he's 100% healthy or not because if he's not and you have to release him because he can't play anymore it will cripple the franchise and while the evidence has been out there to say Peyton's getting better he's not 100% yet. He can still have a set back or as doctors keep saying he might reach a point in his rehab were the nerve just stops coming back and he's stuck at where he was at rehabbing wise. They don't know and that is one heck of gamble to take and frankly probably not a very smart one to take. Now if you can get Manning to take a incentive laden deal to come back that wont cripple your franchise in case he can't play anymore then it becomes a smart gamble to take and Jim Irsay has said he's willing to take the risk on the second option. So no I don't think Irsay is running Manning out of town to make room for Luck or the incentive laden contract wouldn't even be an option. Irsay would release Manning and tell the world we are taking Luck and sign him to a contract now (which the league has given us the okay to do) and move on with our lives.

Except we aren't going to relase Peyton Manning just because Andrew Luck is the best QB prospect since Elway. Frankly I think they are two different decisions.

I think we are taking Luck rather we keep Manning or not. We are thinking about releasing Peyton because you can't lock yourself into the contract with him over the next four years without knowing for sure if he's 100% healthy or not because if he's not and you have to release him because he can't play anymore it will cripple the franchise and while the evidence has been out there to say Peyton's getting better he's not 100% yet. He can still have a set back or as doctors keep saying he might reach a point in his rehab were the nerve just stops coming back and he's stuck at where he was at rehabbing wise. They don't know and that is one heck of gamble to take and frankly probably not a very smart one to take. Now if you can get Manning to take a incentive laden deal to come back that wont cripple your franchise in case he can't play anymore then it becomes a smart gamble to take and Jim Irsay has said he's willing to take the risk on the second option. So no I don't think Irsay is running Manning out of town to make room for Luck or the incentive laden contract wouldn't even be an option. Irsay would release Manning and tell the world we are taking Luck and sign him to a contract now (which the league has given us the okay to do) and move on with our lives.

finally someone was able to explain things to me that made sense. Thanks mate!

so basically eventho he was cleared to play he can't play until the nerve regenerates?

why the heck they cleared him to play? man, they are telling us all sorts of lies the media

finally someone was able to explain things to me that made sense. Thanks mate!

so basically eventho he was cleared to play he can't play until the nerve regenerates?

why the heck they cleared him to play? man, they are telling us all sorts of lies the media

This is where it get's tricky. He's been clearned to resume his NFL career which people quickly said means that his neck is now physically fine. In other words he can take a hit but that doesn't mean he can play at an NFL level. I don't think a doctor would clear him to play yet because of the later issue. Being cleared to resume your NFL career means you can practice and rehab which is why when the story was reported they didn't say cleared to play because he's not cleared to play yet. It's tricky word choice but that's exactly why the Manning people use the words they did because they knew people would take that to mean he can play which is what they want people thinking.

With that said there are a lot of people who can take a hit who can't play QB in the NFL. That's where the arm comes in. The nerve is what impacts how far and how acurate he can be passing the ball. In other words his body might be able to hold up but he might just not have the talent anymore. The nerve is tricky because doctors can't tell you if, when, or how much a nerve will come back or if at some point it'll just stop coming back. Now with that said based on what has been released it's pretty clear the nerve is coming back. What doctors don't know is if Peyton's going to reach a point where the nerve just stops or does it come all the way back. What does seem to be clear is that the nerve isn't all the way back yet. The opinion seems to be if things keep going the way they are it will be back by the start of training camp, HOWEVER, no one knows if Peyton is going to reach a point where the nerve is just done coming back. I've seen doctors say it SHOULD come all the way back but they don't know for sure.

Here's the problem for the Colts. They have to make this call now and if they keep him under his current contract it will lock us into it for the next four years. If the doctors are wrong and Peyton's arm stops coming back on say April 2nd and Peyton can't play and the Colts have to release him it would cost something like a third of our cap to do that and pretty much make us gut the team to pay for it and we will take cap hits over the life of the contract. if we relase him now we pay 10 million and the contract goes away there are no future cap hits meaning Manning is off the books after this year. That's why the Colts just can't take that risk on a "Peyton should get better." because if they doctors are wrong it will cripple the franchise. Even if comes back say 85% that's great and you can say hey an 85% Peyton Manning is better than most QBs but is he going to be better than say Andrew Luck in two years? Is he going to be good enough to win with this team in a rebuilding mood? If he's not you can't justify paying him what you are paying him and you can't pay him what you are paying im to be Andrew Luck's back up in a couple of years because Luck has become the better QB because Manning's arm isn't fully back. You also can't honestly keep Luck on the bench if he's the better player, that's not fair to the rest of the team. Also I don't think Peyton would ever accept being a back up that has beyond messy written all over it. Yet we would be stuck with the contract so we would have no choice.

However, if you release Peyton and get him to take an incentive ladden contract that wont kill you in cap hits should you need to release Peyton you can make it work. I've said if I were Peyton and the Colts and that's the road they want to take I would set it up like this:

No trade clause to protect Peyton from being traded which if Peyton's agent is worth anything he'll want. First year incentive driven with another option at the end of the season becuase if he can't play by the end of this year it's over. However, if he can play you take another year or two on probably set up like the last two years of his currtent deal are set up. That get's Peyton his money and gives the Colts an out in case Peyton can't play anymore and lets the Colts see if he can still play or not.

Who knows if Peyton proves this year he can still play we can still sell Andrew Luck to the highest bidder next season if we want to do that becuase I don't think Luck will sit for four years. Luck's contract would be much easier to trade than Manning's.

This is all assuming that's what Irsay wants to do. There are some that do think Irsay wants to release Manning but wants Peyton to look like the bad guy by turing down the contract and to do that Irsay is going to offer Peyton a contract he knows Peyton will never sign. I've heard different arguements for that. There is the arguement he's doing it because he's just ready to move on and start over and then there is the arguement Irsay wants to do it that way because he doesn't think Peyton should play again even with the recent health updates.

This is where it get's tricky. He's been clearned to resume his NFL career which people quickly said means that his neck is now physically fine. In other words he can take a hit but that doesn't mean he can play at an NFL level. I don't think a doctor would clear him to play yet because of the later issue. Being cleared to resume your NFL career means you can practice and rehab which is why when the story was reported they didn't say cleared to play because he's not cleared to play yet. It's tricky word choice but that's exactly why the Manning people use the words they did because they knew people would take that to mean he can play which is what they want people thinking.

With that said there are a lot of people who can take a hit who can't play QB in the NFL. That's where the arm comes in. The nerve is what impacts how far and how acurate he can be passing the ball. In other words his body might be able to hold up but he might just not have the talent anymore. The nerve is tricky because doctors can't tell you if, when, or how much a nerve will come back or if at some point it'll just stop coming back. Now with that said based on what has been released it's pretty clear the nerve is coming back. What doctors don't know is if Peyton's going to reach a point where the nerve just stops or does it come all the way back. What does seem to be clear is that the nerve isn't all the way back yet. The opinion seems to be if things keep going the way they are it will be back by the start of training camp, HOWEVER, no one knows if Peyton is going to reach a point where the nerve is just done coming back. I've seen doctors say it SHOULD come all the way back but they don't know for sure.

Here's the problem for the Colts. They have to make this call now and if they keep him under his current contract it will lock us into it for the next four years. If the doctors are wrong and Peyton's arm stops coming back on say April 2nd and Peyton can't play and the Colts have to release him it would cost something like a third of our cap to do that and pretty much make us gut the team to pay for it and we will take cap hits over the life of the contract. if we relase him now we pay 10 million and the contract goes away there are no future cap hits meaning Manning is off the books after this year. That's why the Colts just can't take that risk on a "Peyton should get better." because if they doctors are wrong it will cripple the franchise. Even if comes back say 85% that's great and you can say hey an 85% Peyton Manning is better than most QBs but is he going to be better than say Andrew Luck in two years? Is he going to be good enough to win with this team in a rebuilding mood? If he's not you can't justify paying him what you are paying him and you can't pay him what you are paying im to be Andrew Luck's back up in a couple of years because Luck has become the better QB because Manning's arm isn't fully back. You also can't honestly keep Luck on the bench if he's the better player, that's not fair to the rest of the team. Also I don't think Peyton would ever accept being a back up that has beyond messy written all over it. Yet we would be stuck with the contract so we would have no choice.

However, if you release Peyton and get him to take an incentive ladden contract that wont kill you in cap hits should you need to release Peyton you can make it work. I've said if I were Peyton and the Colts and that's the road they want to take I would set it up like this:

No trade clause to protect Peyton from being traded which if Peyton's agent is worth anything he'll want. First year incentive driven with another option at the end of the season becuase if he can't play by the end of this year it's over. However, if he can play you take another year or two on probably set up like the last two years of his currtent deal are set up. That get's Peyton his money and gives the Colts an out in case Peyton can't play anymore and lets the Colts see if he can still play or not.

Who knows if Peyton proves this year he can still play we can still sell Andrew Luck to the highest bidder next season if we want to do that becuase I don't think Luck will sit for four years. Luck's contract would be much easier to trade than Manning's.

This is all assuming that's what Irsay wants to do. There are some that do think Irsay wants to release Manning but wants Peyton to look like the bad guy by turing down the contract and to do that Irsay is going to offer Peyton a contract he knows Peyton will never sign. I've heard different arguements for that. There is the arguement he's doing it because he's just ready to move on and start over and then there is the arguement Irsay wants to do it that way because he doesn't think Peyton should play again even with the recent health updates.

thanks for making the picture clear for me.

I just don't understand what is Peyton trying to do then? If there is so much in stake with his health why is he milking everything?

What is the explanation as far as him not retiring yet? I guess he is waiting for the nerve to regenerate? So let's say it doesnt regenerate. Does he miss another season? I mean comon now.

Then another thing is, let's say Peyton is cleared to play on NFL level and take full NFL hits. Why would we have Andrew Luck sit? why not just trade him? I think its a waste to have him just sit if he is what they say he is. Steve Young backed up Montana and that's peachy and all, but is Luck willing to do that? I mean really?

How did Peyton taking the all the snaps kill us? I seem to remember his doing so turn him into one of the greatest qbs of all time while leading us to the playoffs for like a decade straight. Does that mean he has to get all the reps now? NO. Peyton is at the age now that reps aren't going to help him nearly as much as it did creating him. Peyton wasn't athletic nor gifted with a rocket arm. His brain was what made him that good and continous reps and improvement on his part. He threw the ball so many times so that his muscles would do it in a game without thinking. He could throw a back shoulder fade blindfolded....I've seen it at workouts. Impressive. Anyways recently Peyton was throwing less to allow his arm to stay strong (more likely because of the pain) but anyways he can allow a young impressive (intelligent) qb to work with him and gain insight. I have never seen Peyton ignore the other qbs on the team. All year this year he was trying to advise them. We have always seen him talking to people about routes and defenses...these are things he would continue to do with Luck...and hopefully Luck will soak all that up. We never heard of Painter coming into all those film sessions with Peyton...coming in the AM with Peyton to work out. Point is our back ups were crap because they didn't WANT to get better. They didn't put in the work themselves. Quit blaming Peyton for Painter being so bad and not ready to play. Kid thought he was going to get a free ride his whole career and when he had to step up he didnt.

All I am saying is if Luck is as gifted as he seems he will want to put in the work and get better. Hopefully he will emulate Peyton and work with Peyton. I see no better teacher in all the NFL than Peyton Manning. I think having both and sitting Luck will actually make Luck BETTER. I would like to see the Colts rework Peytons contract or bring him back with like a 2 year deal. I know Peyton wants to play longer but that doesn't mean he has to decide when his time here is done. If he wanted to continue I am sure he could get another 2 year deal elsewhere. We would satisfy the Peyton fans and Luck fans by giving them both want they want. Improving the team now and into the future and be respectful to the greatest player in the organizations history since they came to Indy. I think having both would actually make both better.

From Albert Breer (and yes I know more media crap so take it for what its worth).

That if Peyton comes back he might have to even compete with Luck and Luck would take reps in practice too with the first team.

If we learned anything this past season is that our backup QB SHOULD take reps in practice with the first team. It was foolish to give Peyton every single first team snap, no other team does that.

From Albert Breer (and yes I know more media crap so take it for what its worth).

That if Peyton comes back he might have to even compete with Luck and Luck would take reps in practice too with the first team.

Both should compete for the job.

Luck..because he's a rookie.

Peyton..because he's been injured.

Manning will win because he knows the receivers and the offense..

This isnt a big deal

So you are willing to not only lose the potential future of the team in Luck, but also make a HUGE gamble that Manning is 100% and can play? No one has any idea how strong he really is or if he will ever be back to what he was.

Say you trade the pick and pass on Luck. You also pay Peyton the $28,000,000 and that locks you into his contract. What if he just cant do it, what if he cant make NFL throws and just isn't what he used to be?

You are going to be on the hook for a cap hit of $38,000,000. Depending on when he is done would determine if that is over 1 or 2 years.

So now, not only do you not have Luck, you don't have Peyton, and you also have a potential cap hit of 38,000,000 for 2012/2013 season if he is gone by June 1 or 19,000,000 the next two years if he is gone after June 1. All for a guy who isn't on the field and has no legit NFL quality backup. The team would be horrible on the field and would be even worse on the salary cap end. That would be a potentially franchise crushing downside imo.

That is a tremendous roll of the dice, almost like betting your life savings in roulette. Fans are only thinking of what happens if it all works out perfectly, never considering the tremendous damage it could do to the franchise if it blows up in their face.

Yea....I also heard he would never play again and he was washed up, damaged goods.

I was answering her question if anyone else heard similar reports....not that I believe any of what I hear/read necessarily. Personaly I am at the point where Thursday at 4:00pm can't get here soon enough ;)

Do you know how silly that sounds?

What's silly about it? If Luck turns out to be a dud, everyone will be upset. If he turns out to be as good as advertised, he will be embraced. Irsay should be all in with one or the other, not both.

What's silly about it? If Luck turns out to be a dud, everyone will be upset. If he turns out to be as good as advertised, he will be embraced. Irsay should be all in with one or the other, not both.

You said: "I will only hate on Luck if he replaces Manning and turns out to be a dud. If he turns out to be Manning 2.0, I will gladly wear his jersey. I still want Irsay to be either all in with Manning or all in with Luck". The fact that you will hate someone because they are 'not very good at football' just sounds silly. And the 'all in' part is also troubling me. If we are uncertain about both QB's (recovery from injury / untested rookie), going all in with one is a risk I'd prefer to mitigate. Perhaps I was wrong to say 'silly', I just disagree with you. Apologies.