Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Draft nets Zero CB's

Scott Pennock

So I read a lot of complaints about no corners being drafted, and I even thought we'd grab one in the 2nd Round....so it got me to thinking about what we have on the roster currently:

With last years draft and UDFA we netted Wilson (RCB), Hairston (Nickel) and Moore (Courtesy of the Pats) as a backup boundary corner who all showed they belong.

We claimed in-season and resigned Desir - projected as a zone corner with solid ball skills and willing tackler but drafted by a man to man team (Browns)

We signed Acker - projected as a zone corner with solid ball skills and willing tackler but drafted by a man to man team (49ers)

We claimed DJ White (In Season) - best in press man with good ball skills drafted by a man to man team (Chiefs)

Resigned Chris Milton - projected as a zone corner, maybe even FS who is a willing tackler but signed by us as a man corner by the previous regime (Duh)

So what I see is young veterans in Desir, Acker and Milton who were drafted and played against thier perceived strengths coming out of college - bad front offices perhaps? Also, I see D.J. White as a Nickel Corner which usually relies more on man coverage because the multi route options slot receivers run these days so he still fits as a 6th corner backing up Hairston.

All in all the FO can't fix everything in one year, but they got a headstart in year 1 and added a couple young veterans in year 2. Perhaps next year we can use one of our 2nd round picks on a stud corner to finish off the rebuild of the secondary in the 3rd year?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

So I read a lot of complaints about no corners being drafted, and I even thought we'd grab one in the 2nd Round....so it got me to thinking about what we have on the roster currently:

With last years draft and UDFA we netted Wilson (RCB), Hairston (Nickel) and Moore (Courtesy of the Pats) as a backup boundary corner who all showed they belong.

We claimed in-season and resigned Desir - projected as a zone corner with solid ball skills and willing tackler but drafted by a man to man team (Browns)

We signed Acker - projected as a zone corner with solid ball skills and willing tackler but drafted by a man to man team (49ers)

We claimed DJ White (In Season) - best in press man with good ball skills drafted by a man to man team (Chiefs)

Resigned Chris Milton - projected as a zone corner, maybe even FS who is a willing tackler but signed by us as a man corner by the previous regime (Duh)

So what I see is young veterans in Desir, Acker and Milton who were drafted and played against thier perceived strengths coming out of college - bad front offices perhaps? Also, I see D.J. White as a Nickel Corner which usually relies more on man coverage because the multi route options slot receivers run these days so he still fits as a 6th corner backing up Hairston.

All in all the FO can't fix everything in one year, but they got a headstart in year 1 and added a couple young veterans in year 2. Perhaps next year we can use one of our 2nd round picks on a stud corner to finish off the rebuild of the secondary in the 3rd year?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=4600&type=team

Just shared this in a thread. Go take a look and tell me how many cornerbacks in the LoB were drafted high. 

It's zero... Richard Sherman (5th round)  byron Maxwell (6th round) Jeremy lane (6th round) Walter Thurmond (4th round) 

Kam chancellor was a 5th round guy

Only Earl Thomas was a 1st round talent... 

I think last years group of young defensive backs for the Colts will shock the hell out of people in a year or two. They might this season given they are actually in the system they were drafted for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have Wilson, Desir, Milton, and Acker. I think Wilson is decent, as well as Desir. We do need more talent there, but if we can get to the quarterback more, we will be okay without it. 

Our offense will will be a powerhouse this year with Luck behind a run blocking offensive line as well as better pass pro and a new offense. 

Chris Ballard is a build from the inside guy. When changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 the front seven has to change. He did what was necessary. The key for the Colts this year will be the rush. The corners are almost all better in zone which is Eberflus' theory. Also, the apparent improvement in the O-line will help to hold the ball longer and improve the defensive stats..

Just because we didn’t get any CBs doesn’t mean we didn’t improve in pass defense. 2 of the LBs we got are very good in coverage, which helps our middle zone/TE coverage, and we also got 2 pass rushers. In theory those 2 position groups will affect the pass just as much as adding new corners would. We’ll see I guess. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I thought for sure the Colts were going to draft Josh Jackson with that first or second 2nd round pick. 

That said, I'm personally glad Ballard went for fixing the trenches instead of drafting CB's. 

I did too. As history shows however, drafting corners late can work as well as early rounds. We obviously didn’t take any, but because we didn’t we may be looking at the best offensive line we’ve had in decades, and it is there to stay for at least 3-4 years, maybe longer. 

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=4600&type=team

Just shared this in a thread. Go take a look and tell me how many cornerbacks in the LoB were drafted high. 

It's zero... Richard Sherman (5th round)  byron Maxwell (6th round) Jeremy lane (6th round) Walter Thurmond (4th round) 

Kam chancellor was a 5th round guy

Only Earl Thomas was a 1st round talent... 

I think last years group of young defensive backs for the Colts will shock the hell out of people in a year or two. They might this season given they are actually in the system they were drafted for. 

Agreed we will be fine.

That was my point, most of us "thought" he'd draft a sure fire starter in the 2nd or even a Hill or Meeks at the end, but, with the scouting reports from Desir and Acker I'm sure they'll be fine back there.

Also, a better pass rush helps as well as a couple guys that can cover like Leonard or Moore (if he makes the cut).

Ballard did a nice job of pulling together a secondary last year. Here's hoping he can again. I have my concerns about this whole D this year. Blowing out what little talent was there, adjusting to a new scheme and building with nothing but unproven players is a recipe that could result in being dreadful. 

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ballard did a nice job of pulling together a secondary last year. Here's hoping he can again. I have my concerns about this whole D this year. Blowing out what little talent was there, adjusting to a new scheme and building with nothing but unproven players is a recipe that could result in being dreadful. 

How much worse can it get? We were ranked 32nd in the league in D... There's only 32 teams. 

• Like 1

There are guys getting cut from other teams as we speak right now.  We are in good position on any waiver claims we want to make.  And I'm sure there's going to be a decent veteran or two who gets axed in the next couple days/weeks.  We will see what Ballard has on his mind.

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

There are guys getting cut from other teams as we speak right now.  We are in good position on any waiver claims we want to make.  And I'm sure there's going to be a decent veteran or two who gets axed in the next couple days/weeks.  We will see what Ballard has on his mind.

I think we may bring in some depth at several positions from cuts that will be occuring

CB is the leading candidate

also, possibly, depending on the FA

DT

RB

S

I can't lie. Our defense scares the hell out of me and not in a good way. That list of defensive backs is woeful whichever way you want to spin it.

Can't fix everything in one year though I suppose and just got to hope that a couple of the new rookies in the front 3 progress quicker than you'd originally expect.