Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft ZAIRE FRANKLIN LB Syracuse

CR91

12 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

This staff seems to really value analytics. 

This is more a measure of athleticism than football analytics. It's strictly based on athletic testing and physical measurements, not on anything shown in games. So I guess the more accurate statement would be that they care about athleticism... which is not surprising - Ballard and Eberflus have been preaching that the new defense specifically will be rely on quickness and speed and Ballard himself has said before that he's a "height, weight, speed" guy. 

13 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Do not a single corner drafted. Interesting. Ballard must be real confident in Quincy.

Even so. I’d have liked to add more depth there.

if you look at the number of UDFA, that "fit" the CB measurables in this defense, there seem to be quite a few.

If they have a 4.5 to 4.6 40 time they could actually make this roster as a CB. Not so much in a typicall pure cover field

They do need to tackle. And have some ball skills

This is one of the HUGE benefits of this type of defense......... No enormous contracts for CBs

We may very well have an UDFA actually start at the other CB spot

I would like to see what Hariston would do with the role though

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thought the the same thing. I'll mention this in a final draft thoughts topic, but what Ballard is doing is important. He's creating depth and competition at the same time. Something we've lacked. It's also worth knowing that he mentioned when looking for coaches that he wanted a staff full of teachers. This could be why he drafted guys who have the basics: high football character, unique traits (a phrase he uses a lot), and top tier athletic profiles. Guys that good coaches can develop into good players. Eberflus is a good example. He turned Anthony Hitchens who some thought would go in the 6th or 7th into a solid starting LB. And Hitchens biggest issue is his lack of athleticism. You take the same type of player and add in athleticism and suddenly you've got a diamond in the rough.

I don't think anyone ever described Hitchens as raw though.  He was well coached in college by a staff that has sent multiple LBs to the NFL

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

if you look at the number of UDFA, that "fit" the CB measurables in this defense, there seem to be quite a few.

If they have a 4.5 to 4.6 40 time they could actually make this roster as a CB. Not so much in a typicall pure cover field

They do need to tackle. And have some ball skills

This is one of the HUGE benefits of this type of defense......... No enormous contracts for CBs

We may very well have an UDFA actually start at the other CB spot

I would like to see what Hariston would do with the role though

Yeah CBs aren’t as important in our scheme as they are in pure man to man looks that other teams run. Still Id have liked to see em draft one in the top 4 rounds. We lack good depth there.

• Like 1

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2018/4/30/17293514/four-reasons-the-colts-should-be-excited-about-syracuse-zaire-franklin-orange-football-nfl-draft

These words give me a bit of a pause (written by Syracuse fans):

Two years later, Dino Babers ushered in the Tampa-2 defense and a coverage-heavy scheme that Franklin (and the rest of the linebackers) were not suited for at all. Yet, he still started every game, logged high tackle totals in two years and became a capable player against the pass. Two defensive approaches at the opposite ends of the spectrum don’t always work for one player — yet Franklin passed the test admirably.

Obviously Orange fans (self included) are pretty high on Zaire. But if you’re looking at what could potentially trip him up in the pros, a lack of real elite speed or coverage ability, and size is also on the lower end (6 feet tall, 238 pounds). 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2018/4/30/17293514/four-reasons-the-colts-should-be-excited-about-syracuse-zaire-franklin-orange-football-nfl-draft

These words give me a bit of a pause:

Two years later, Dino Babers ushered in the Tampa-2 defense and a coverage-heavy scheme that Franklin (and the rest of the linebackers) were not suited for at all. Yet, he still started every game, logged high tackle totals in two years and became a capable player against the pass. Two defensive approaches at the opposite ends of the spectrum don’t always work for one player — yet Franklin passed the test admirably.

"......yet Franklin passed the test admirably....."

Did you not read the last sentance?

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

"......yet Franklin passed the test admirably....."

Did you not read the last sentance?

With a 7th round pick at least, I am a glass half empty kind of guy. My hopes are tempered anyways.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

With a 7th round pick at least, I am a glass half empty kind of guy. My hopes are tempered anyways.

I'm half full.....so we'll see. Lol

As long as we're being real, I think Skai Moore makes the roster before Franklin does. I'm guessing PS for Franklin....

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm guessing they think they can mold his flaws. Hes got the speed but coverage needs work from what I saw.

The good news is hes got the speed to do it. He wont be Roquan out there, but if you get stats out of him, he is already a hit.