Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I have seen 1.5 Ballard Drafts..color me not impressed

threeflight

15 hours ago, threeflight said:

Funny I came to this website specifically to post about the draft after seeing the two All Pro selections today and I saw this thread has been revisited.

I have to give a lot of credit to Ballard.  His draft really came on the second part of the year.

I will gladly eat crow and say I was wrong in this case.

Gladly.

Good luck Colts this weekend.

When we have almost none of the inside stuff on what kind of intelligence, work ethic and character a player has, WE Here IMO, look foolish prognosticating the value of draft picks. Best to let the Big Boys do their job and hope their best ideas turn into quality player development and lots of Wins. 
 I won't watch as much video of players as some do here, but i watch a lot.
I get very excited about quite a few and sure hope we add someone with those skills. Not to often do we get MY players. 
 Right now i wish all here can continue to build faith that our Colts are in GREAT hands going forward.
  With a year under his belt, Mathis leading him to water, what might we see from Turay in year 2-3? How bad do they want it?  
Leonard, Walker, B Smith, Mack, Cain, Fountain, Mo Allie, Hines, Hooker, Lewis, Wilson, Moore. And a bunch more coming soon, very soon. 

:coltslogo:   Primed  :colts:  PUMPED   :strong:

• Like 3

On 4/27/2018 at 8:02 PM, Shepman said:

I am all about opinions.  My opinion is that a room full of scouts that have studied 100s of hours can put together a board better than average Joe. 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:06 PM, TheNextGM said:

Can’t please everybody I guess, but I love the picks. 

I will say this though.. judging a draft when a player hasn’t played a snap and you are still in round 2 is ludicrous. 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:09 PM, TheNextGM said:

You have absolutely zero knowledge to suggest both players would be available later. Jones and Jackson also have flaws. Clearly, Ballard wanted Leonard and Smith more. Both picks were submitted extremely quickly which suggests CB got exactly what he wanted.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:55 PM, Tunggreat said:

One thing I can say about Ballard, his draft board is way different than many experts and analysts. Not sure that's a good thing but we will see. 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:07 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

One thing I can say for certain, is that Ballard doesnt give a damn what self proclaimed experts from espn say... and he watched a heckuva lot more film than any of them did on these guys. 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:44 PM, ColtsUrUs said:

Do you have a scouting team in your back pocket?  Do you do this professionally? Just because "YOU" don't know the player doesn't mean it's not a good pick. Sit back and let this man do "HIS" job and be a good "FAN".  Thanks in advance.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:46 PM, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Reach is an overrated word

Just a few of my favorite comments above ( there were more but space...)

Not everyone was confused, and some understand Ballard has much more experience and resources at his disposal when it comes to player evaluation and fit.  Over TV media, internet bloggers,  and especially fans (that very often use TV media / Internet as their scouting reports).

Yes, sometimes a fan 'hits', and sometimes a GM 'misses'. By and large, there is no comparison for knowledge/skill/body of work though.

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Just a few of my favorite comments above ( there were more but space...)

Not everyone was confused, and some understand Ballard has much more experience and resources at his disposal when it comes to player evaluation and fit.  Over TV media, internet bloggers,  and especially fans (that very often use TV media / Internet as their scouting reports).

Yes, sometimes a fan 'hits', and sometimes a GM 'misses'. By and large, there is no comparison for knowledge/skill/body of work though.

While I am an eternal optimist on Ballard and his scouting department, I also truly believe he and his team is one of the best in the league. He brought a hell of a coaching staff in. He brought in highly respectable front office guys to surround him. We are seeing this incredible turnaround because of the talent put on the field. Ballard took an offensive line that was the pits, and made them a strength/powerhouse in one offseason. He's building a proper defense. All with the kind of guys he wants his team to made of. No one but his team of scouts/coaches know exactly what he's looking for. Even Mike Mayock, who i think was pretty talented and deserving of a role like he just landed in Oakland. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

After our ILBs got picked on for 10 years by being slow and unathletic, I'd think anybody who understood the Colts AND read pre draft writeups could have predicted the Leonard pick.  If you're saying that people criticize Ballard out of ignorance, well, I can agree with that.

IMO, all of our RBs are just JAGS, not that we need much more than that for this O.  But each one could be replaced.  I wouldn't use Hines as an example for building a case one  way or the other. 

Nobody said that Nelson would not be good, so I don't understand if some say criticism of the pick at 6 is "wrong" because he was voted as all-pro.  We don't know what our WL record would be if we only had a guy who blocked his man instead of pancaked him, but also had two second round upgrades at DB.  I suspect that giving up the pancakes for less dramatic good blocking and having better coverage and tackling in the secondary would have won us at least one more game and would be hosting a playoff game today, but that's just speculation.

Re: Nelson...I agree. Nobody was against Nelson (at least not that I can remember). It was the idea of picking a G with the #6 pick...which is an agree-to-disagree type of conversation.

The first year draft, with Pagano being a lame duck coach and following after Grigson, Ballard couldn't go all in for the 4-3 he wanted implemented either. A GM should truly be evaluated for the vision he could implement with the coaches he wanted, IMO. For going all into the 4-3 in the 2018 draft, I think he is off to a spectacular start. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

When we have almost none of the inside stuff on what kind of intelligence, work ethic and character a player has, WE Here IMO, look foolish prognosticating the value of draft picks. Best to let the Big Boys do their job and hope their best ideas turn into quality player development and lots of Wins. 
 I won't watch as much video of players as some do here, but i watch a lot.
I get very excited about quite a few and sure hope we add someone with those skills. Not to often do we get MY players. 
 Right now i wish all here can continue to build faith that our Colts are in GREAT hands going forward.
  With a year under his belt, Mathis leading him to water, what might we see from Turay in year 2-3? How bad do they want it?  
Leonard, Walker, B Smith, Mack, Cain, Fountain, Mo Allie, Hines, Hooker, Lewis, Wilson, Moore. And a bunch more coming soon, very soon. 

:coltslogo:   Primed  :colts:  PUMPED   :strong:

You're exactly right that's I do in Ballard I trust. I'm also glad that he's still young enough to be here a while and that's great for us fans. 

The only thing I criticize on drAfts is the position taken.  I was thrilled with Nelson.  I was good with Smith.  We needed to fix the O line.  

Go back  few years and I had a problem with drafting a WR in the 1st (Dorsett).