Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

20 years ago today....

WoolMagnet

I was on the golfcourse in Florida.  It was very hard to focus on golf because the draft was going on.  Finally, between nines, i saw that Peyton was the pick.  Lets just say the back nine was more relaxed.  I was in Orlando for a weekend conference.

its hard to believe it was 20 years. I think i'll go back and watch Peytons rookie season for inspiration.  Always love watching Marvin too.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I was on the golfcourse in Florida.  It was very hard to focus on golf because the draft was going on.  Finally, between nines, i saw that Peyton was the pick.  Lets just say the back nine was more relaxed.  I was in Orlando for a weekend conference.

its hard to believe it was 20 years. I think i'll go back and watch Peytons rookie season for inspiration.  Always love watching Marvin too.

What did you shoot?

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

46 years ago, I was sort of worried about me possibly being the number 1 pick in a different kind of draft....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

What did you shoot?

I think it was a tournament (scramble).  One of my vendors sponsored it.  I was more interested in the draft that day and none of us had smartphones in those days.

i am a past club champion at my local country club tho without ever staying at a certain motel chain.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thank God we drafted Peyton had we drafted Leaf that would've been a disaster.

It always makes you wonder how things would have been different for each player and team.  

My guess on this one is:

Manning going to the Chargers would have worked out pretty well for him.   He would have still been the same studious hard working player.   I think he would have won at least 1 Superbowl there as well.

Leaf on the Colts could have been a dramatic change to his career.   Polian's offensive mind may have provided an offense even Leaf could thrive in.   They already had Dilger, Harrison, Faulk, Pollard, Glenn and others.   I'm not saying he would be great, but I think he would have been in the league longer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmy g said:

46 years ago, I was sort of worried about me possibly being the number 1 pick in a different kind of draft....

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

47 years ago my number was drawn. Lottery #23

1 hour ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

I was 356 out off 365. Only lottery that I ever won. :beg:

And I thought I was old. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

47 years ago my number was drawn. Lottery #23

I was the luckiest man on earth.  Days before I turned 18, (1972) they announced that Draftees would no longer be sent to Viet Nam.  I never looked up my number.  My neighbor, who lost his hand over there, told me to not enlist- that they knew where to find me if they needed me.

My wife's family was all there in 68. Three of them, counting in laws. Brother in Law still wakes up fighting hand to hand.  One of her Brothers was killed, going into Khe Sanh to save fellow Marines trapped there.  Then, for her oldest, in her Mom's safe, my wife found a Bronze Star, awarded to him for Action under fire in the Mekong Delta.  She told her Brother she'd found it, and he'd never mentioned it to anyone.  His only response was that he thought he'd lost it.....

I m glad Peyton was #1.  He and Unitas belong in the Top 5 QBs ever!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I was the luckiest man on earth.  Days before I turned 18, they announced that Draftees would no longer be sent to Viet Nam.  I never looked up my number.  My neighbor, who lost his hand over there, told me to not enlist- that they knew where to find me if they needed me.

My wife's family was all there in 68. Three of them, counting in laws. Brother in Law still wakes up fighting hand to hand.  One of her Brothers was killed, going into Khe Sanh to save fellow Marines trapped there.  Then, for her oldest, in her Mom's safe, my wife found a Bronze Star, awarded to him for Action under fire in the Mekong Delta.  She told her Brother she'd found it, and he'd never mentioned it to anyone.  His only response was that he thought he'd lost it.....

I m glad Peyton was #1.  He and Unitas belong in the Top 5 QBs ever!!!!!

Yeah I was drafted in March but by the time I got through Basic training, jump school and AIT the cease fire was called in Nam but I was sent there to "clean" up the area. That is as much as I care to say about it.

On the states side I was stationed at Ft. Campbell Ky and was a trainer on the M-60, M-79, M-203 and the M2 .50 caliber machine gun.

Even though injury took his career away as a Colt fan I would have to include Bert Jones as one of the best QBs to have ever played for the Colts. He was originally the reason I became a Colt fan.

• Thanks 1