Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wait and see stradigy

Fa is not for the weak of heart, Sometimes you have to make bold moves and roll the dice to be relevant. There is nothing wrong in being Cautious . but you have to also be a player. If you hesitate too long you can be on the outside looking out till next year. And then next year  and so on. The window of opportunity is fleeting. Hopefully we will be a player at some point  as Fa frenzy starts this week.

Ballard did one thing last year that Grigson did most every year....

Did NOT sign a FA on Day 1.

Day 1 players typically are the biggest, most expensive free agents.

Assuming we don't get the expensive guys on Day 1,  I would not be surprised to see Ballard wait a day to sign who he wants....    Waiting a day or two often seems to lower the asking price.....

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard did one thing last year that Grigson did most every year....

Did NOT sign a FA on Day 1.

Day 1 players typically are the biggest, most expensive free agents.

Assuming we don't get the expensive guys on Day 1,  I would not be surprised to see Ballard wait a day to sign who he wants....    Waiting a day or two often seems to lower the asking price.....

Yep, he let the dust settle on Hankins, IMO. Waiting a few days for top tier agents lowers prices.

Waiting a week or two on mid tier ones gets them at a reasonable price.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, he let the dust settle on Hankins, IMO. Waiting a few days for top tier agents lowers prices.

Agree man, just dont see CB overpaying just because we have money. Unfortunately, it will most likely lead to missing out on some guys such as Norwell, but needs will get filled within reason. After FA, bring on the draft.

If the money is right a free agent will be there for us. Whether it’s early in the process like we got Simon and Sheard or later in the process like Hankins who was our best signing. Ballard showed that he recognized talent last offseason...even the ones that got away like Alshon Jefferies so I trust his process whatever form it takes on. One thing that I especially appreciate...he went after guys that have proven they can play. Nothing gave me more worries when another GM added guys because of the intemidation factor when they get off the bus (Landry). What’s intimidating is the size of your talent...not your arms.

3 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Agree man, just dont see CB overpaying just because we have money. Unfortunately, it will most likely lead to missing out on some guys such as Norwell, but needs will get filled within reason. After FA, bring on the draft.

Nothing wrong with paying the going rate for Norwell.  Zeitler set the bar last year . Throw in a little inflation and a little more because he had a pro bowl year and it's not overpaying.  There is a difference between overpaying and market value. Paying him more than Zeitler is to be expected.  I expect the offers for Norwell to be fairly similar.  Not enormously different.  The difference maker will probably be in the guaranteed money. He should be able to get Norwell if he really wants to seriously fix our line for Luck.  With Luck returning you don't want to miss out on the best offensive lineman in FA.  That would be a huge mistake on his part.  I can see Ballard and Irsay making sure we give it an all out effort.  You can't beat Quality. 

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think we waited several weeks, if not, more than a month for Hankins?     Did we not?

I'll go double check......

EDIT NOTE:    A quick check shows we signed Hankins on April 13.    That's one month after the window opened.      If my memory is correct,  I think Hankins was the last "expensive" FA signing of last year.     I think his deal was 3/27 that could become 3/30 with incentives.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Nothing wrong with paying the going rate for Norwell.  Zeitler set the bar last year . Throw in a little inflation and a little more because he had a pro bowl year and it's not overpaying.  There is a difference between overpaying and market value. Paying him more than Zeitler is to be expected.  I expect the offers for Norwell to be fairly similar.  Not enormously different.  The difference maker will probably be in the guaranteed money. He should be able to get Norwell if he really wants to seriously fix our line for Luck.  With Luck returning you don't want to miss out on the best offensive lineman in FA.  That would be a huge mistake on his part.  I can see Ballard and Irsay making sure we give it an all out effort.  You can't beat Quality. 

I hope you are right really, this is his second FA season, so i suppose we shall see what he does. Maybe overpaying was the wrong word to use. 

Ballard has got to spend a certain amount of our cap space. I'm hoping that instead of waiting on Zack Fulton to take a 3yr 21mil contract, he pursues Norwell for 3yr 39mil. We're taking about 6mil a yr difference between Fulton and Norwell. What kind of player are we going to get for the 6mil we save with Fulton? This is just an example. I understand a lot of other things go into the equation bidding war etc. But he should kick the tires on some of the upper echelon players in FA that could help us. We lack top level talent, if we're just going to use the draft we're looking at 3-4 years that's if he hits majority of his top picks. I also agree you've must be smart in FA. Grigson always overpaid for mid-level talent or aging talent, you can't do that. But what's the harm in paying a couple young guys that would help our team be competitive, instead of average talent that we hope draft picks beat out every year. 

2 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Why doesn’t Carolina pay Norwell, short of cash? Does anybody know?

Two reasons....    they stressed on the cap.

They've played other players on the line very exepnsive deals and did not want to commit too much money into one position group (OL).

The irony is that Norwell has been their highest grading OL for two straight years.    He's one of the top grading guards in all of football.     The other Panthers guard I think got 4/44 a year or two ago.     I think someone may have mismanaged the cap,  and that someone may have been former GM Dave Gettleman.   

That said,  the new GM can't compound one bad mistake by making another,  which is what he appears to have done.

The one trueism in football is that you don't let you best players go in free agency for nothing.    You find a way to keep them.    And the Panthers didn't find a way to keep Norwell.    Big mistake.

I think Ballard will be aggressive with certain position groups and wait out a couple other position groups. I don't think we can automatically assume he won't sign anyone day one. Last season was a bit different, as he didn't have his HC and system in place yet. But even still, he was tied to several big-time FAs. I think if Ballard wants a guy, he will have no issue with getting him day one.