Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Expected to Interview

1959Colts

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defilippo is interviewing for the Vikings oc job not the lions. Jim Bob Cooter is staying as OC in Detroit. 

I am am wondering why we aren’t interviewing jim bob cooter as head coach . He seems more qualified than Reich and Campbell to me. Stafford actually improved with Cooter as Calvin johnson retired .

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

Another angle I would put on this. If Defilipo gets the job in Detroit wouldn't that mean we have access to Jim Bob Cooter? Another former Colt.

Patricia already announced that he’s retaining Cooter as OC in Detroit.

12 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Not an Offensive genius???      But  you'd rather have Toub?    I have no idea how to follow you on this 

I am just saying each candidate has different qualities.

With Reich its obvious offense is his specialty.

With Toub, I have to believe, his strength is his leadership, and Toub would need a good OC.  

As for Reich, when I said he is not an offensive genius, what I mean is... Where ever he has been, he's been an assistant to another coach's offensive system.

He's worked as an OC, but always under an offensive minded HC's system (McCoy, Pederson).

It's hard to say how good Reich's system is (or will be), since he has never had his own offensive control.

He's helped Pederson run his offense, and McCoy run his. But Reich has never run his own offense. So the Colts really don't know what kind of offense Frank Reich would run?

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Where did you hear that??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/07/eagles-seem-to-be-trying-to-find-a-way-to-keep-defilippo/

...Some in league circles believe that, between offensive coordinator Frank Reich and DeFilippo, the Eagles would rather keep the latter. With Reich’s name emerging as a candidate for the head-coaching job in Indianapolis, Reich getting the gig would solve the problem.

1 hour ago, Pelt said:

If it turns out to be Reich, I hope he has already given a nod, or agreement if you will, to Defillipo that he would bring him along to be OC. 

I like cohesion. :P

Besides, they seem to work well together and I think the familiarity between the two would fast-forward the transition process in their new jobs here, rather than go through a learning curve with someone new at OC.

And I think that this would benefit Luck greatly.

Guys, we're not getting both Reich AND DeFilippo. If we hire Reich, there's a 100% chance Philly promotes DeFilippo to offensive coordinator. The only way we're getting him is if we hire him as HC.

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks @1959Colts for the videos on  Toub, DeFilippo, & Reich. I actually like You Tube profiles vs reading lengthy articles with glowing recommendations from former bosses that tell you absolutely nothing.

Okay sure, videos can often be slanted to place candidates in the best possible light sure. But, I like the tag along to workday stuff because habits reveal a lot because it shows how patterns whether in workouts, diet, film study, & consistency indicate a roadmap to success for both players & coaches alike. 

Plus, I need to hear a candidate's voice, see how the carry themselves, & it's nice to witness people like DeFlippo who lift weights & break a sweat before work everyday. It's harder to dismiss a coordinator or coach's advice if they are fit & not fat & slow with no stamina. Plus, it makes guys on your roster go hey, if I don't run this route correctly, my mentor is literally gonna embarrass me athletically during practice. 

I don't have a dog in this race meaning preference among these choices 1 way or another. They all seem qualified to be head coaches. Like I said before, I just like profile features on NFL candidates beyond articles because it reminds me of go to work with your dad day when you were little like a silent observer. Just soak it all up like a sponge. 

Very good point.

As for a dog in the race...

It's very early. (After all, we thought McDaniels was our coach two days ago). I have to think, with Chris Ballard, there are going to be other (yet unknown) candidates to surface for interview.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

You are seriously criticizing him for abusing a running back?  You sat here and defended Chuck till the end. The same Chuck that put a young QB in vertical offenses with a porous lines, no running game and asked him to throw the ball 40+ times a game.

oh yeah, said QB hasn't thrown a pass in over a year.

Luck getting his serious injuries was because he played with a line backers mentality. Yes he was sacked a lot but he never played to protect himself. Big difference.

30 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Patricia already announced that he’s retaining Cooter as OC in Detroit.

Then what is Defillipo doing interviewing there?  Or did the OP not list the right team Defillipo was interviewing with?

27 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/07/eagles-seem-to-be-trying-to-find-a-way-to-keep-defilippo/

...Some in league circles believe that, between offensive coordinator Frank Reich and DeFilippo, the Eagles would rather keep the latter. With Reich’s name emerging as a candidate for the head-coaching job in Indianapolis, Reich getting the gig would solve the problem.

That doesn't say anything about him having a bigger hand in calling plays than Reich

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What Shanahan did to Terrell Davis was enough to make me dislike him.

And then to make things worse he let RG3 run his team in Washington.

At this point I think an experienced proven coach is the way to go..Shanahan can coach , guarantee the line will look much better and we will be able to run the ball...He did good with Elway and Luck is an Elway clone..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

At this point I think an experienced proven coach is the way to go..Shanahan can coach , guarantee the line will look much better and we will be able to run the ball...He did good with Elway and Luck is an Elway clone..

For some reason I think Reich will tear it up. We get him, Luck gets healthy, we Draft Barkley, and Draft Defense the rest of the way we will be dangerous. Get Norwell in Free Agency on the O.Line too lmao 

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Hiring an old retread coach who don't care about the health of his players IMO is not the way to go.

If an experienced head coach was available I wouldn't have a problem but I don't see any available at this point that is drawing any interest.

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

Then what is Defillipo doing interviewing there?  Or did the OP not list the right team Defillipo was interviewing with?

I have no idea about the Defillipo interviews, but it was in the news yesterday that Patricia was retaining Cooter.  

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/02/07/jim-bob-cooter-lions-oc-patricia-wants-physical-offense/317951002/

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some reason I think Reich will tear it up. We get him, Luck gets healthy, we Draft Barkley, and Draft Defense the rest of the way we will be dangerous. Get Norwell in Free Agency on the O.Line too lmao 

I think Reich will be solid for sure..I also think Irsay is furious * and may want to go BIG now...

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Pederson calls the plays.

All I am saying is... The Eagles don't want to loose DeFilippo.

What could they do to keep Frank Reich?   There's nothing they could offer him other than the Head Coach position.   It's not the same as Defillipo who you can offer a position as Offensive Coordinator.  That's mainly why they don't want to lose him.

They pretty much know they are going to lose Frank Reich at some point unless he comes back. 

I'd be gung ho to keep Defillipo too rather than get a guy from the outside.   And this is not to discredit Defillipo.  When it comes to the Eagles I just don't view it as a I want this guy more than the other guy thing when it comes to Reich and Defillipo.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hiring an old retread coach who don't care about the health of his players IMO is not the way to go.

If an experienced head coach was available I wouldn't have a problem but I don't see any available at this point that is drawing any interest.

Shanahan was in a bad situation with Snyder in Washington..I think him and Ballard could make things happen here..

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too, I would give him Gruden money, then let the games begin.

At this point I would pull out the wallet and offer more than Gruden. ..12 million a yr, 5 yr 60 million dollar contract...You want to beat New England? This is your  optimal route...

Just now, jshipp23 said:

At this point I would pull out the wallet and offer more than Gruden. ..12 million a yr, 5 yr 60 million dollar contract...You want to beat New England? This is your  optimal route...

I don't understand why people don't see it but Harbaugh with a healthy Luck and Barkley at RB - we would go 10-6 in our sleep. I would bet anyone in here that would happen.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't understand why people don't see it but Harbaugh with a healthy Luck and Barkley at RB - we would go 10-6 in our sleep. I would bet anyone in here that would happen.

I wouldn't rule out a Super Bowl year 1 to be honest...