Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4-3 WILL Jermaine Grace (If needed)

A lot of folks are forgetting about an in-season acquisition in the linebacking core named Jermaine Grace, from the U (with a short stint in Atlanta).

He was a pretty studly linebacker at the U until his dismissal. But here are his measurements:

• Height: 6-0
  • Weight: 223 lbs
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.57 seconds
  • Bench Press: 21 reps of 225 lbs
  • Broad Jump: 120 inch
  • Vert Jump: 33 inch
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.37 seconds
  • 3-Cone Drill: 7.37 seconds

He would have been the 2nd fastest/quickest linebacker in the draft last year. His scouting profile sounds a lot like some of our successful WILL's from our past.

I would not count him out for at least depth at that spot especially since he made the Falcons roster last year (and they're stacked with talent) prior to coming to us!

21 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I’m anticipating Anthony Walker taking this spot. It’s his natural place.

Hes a good option

I like his upside. Just needs to get a bit faster or be a smarter player and take the role like Singletary or Ray Lewis. Those two weren’t fast but knew the game to a T

You're right OP, I did forget all about him.  If I remember right, the knock on him was his size (weight), but he put on a lot of muscle after they kicked him off of the team in college.

We're not too bad on outside LBs with Sheard, Simon, Basham, and Mingo, but we desperately need help on the inside.

The best part of his story to me is he stayed at Miami and graduated after being kicked off the team for violating NCAA rules.  That, to me, speaks volumes about the young man.  I don't know how many kids would graduate after facing that situation, let alone at the same school.  Good for him, and I wish him well. 

38 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

The best part of his story to me is he stayed at Miami and graduated after being kicked off the team for violating NCAA rules.  That, to me, speaks volumes about the young man.  I don't know how many kids would graduate after facing that situation, let alone at the same school.  Good for him, and I wish him well. 

Not making excuses for him, nor saying what he did was right.  But what he was doing was kind of a common practice.  Maybe not with luxury cars though!

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Not making excuses for him, nor saying what he did was right.  But what he was doing was kind of a common practice.  Maybe not with luxury cars though!

I agree...  one of my favorite images ever is Eric Dickerson and that gold Trans Am from Texas A&M!  He didn't keep that ride long, nor his commitment to A&M of course, but it's been going on forever.  And that's the thing, Grace owned it, stood tall, and was a man about it. 

image.thumb.png.22a3bd1142077ac23991f01d4a100a82.png

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

He will get a shot in camp....I don't think his acquisition will stop us from signing or drafting someone but I've got no problem if he beats guys out. Thanks for the info!

I agree, I don't think it prevents anything, but, when he was signed he didn't seem like a "fit" in a 3-4 defense. Just an example of CB looking towards the future. 

With his measurables and game tape from Miami, he is most certainly a sideline to sideline player.

30 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

So a thread about a player on the colts roster belongs in the free agent forum.......crazy rules.

His name was brought up because he wasn't a thought of player. I had forgotten he was on the roster. He has never taken a snap for the Colts so he will be treated like a free agent.

Rules?  They are stretched and broken every day. This forum is like we were all sitting around talking.

Picky if I may say so.

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

His name was brought up because he wasn't a thought of player. I had forgotten he was on the roster. He has never taken a snap for the Colts so he will be treated like a free agent.

Rules?  They are stretched and broken every day. This forum is like we were all sitting around talking.

Picky if I may say so.

Ummm.  He's on the Colt's roster, there is no gray area there.  It was started in the correct spot and was moved.  Your starting an argument for the sake of arguing.  Maybe you should look up the definition of "free agent" before responding to my comment.  Because according to your definition, that would make Forrest Lamp a free agent.  Maybe the Colts should sign him.

3 hours ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Ummm.  He's on the Colt's roster, there is no gray area there.  It was started in the correct spot and was moved.  Your starting an argument for the sake of arguing.  Maybe you should look up the definition of "free agent" before responding to my comment.  Because according to your definition, that would make Forrest Lamp a free agent.  Maybe the Colts should sign him.

Completely agree. Active and under contract player on the Colts roster and is completely fair game for discussion. Took as many snaps as Andrew Luck did this year. Are we talking about drafting him? Nope. Are we talking about signing a free agent? Nope. Thread was incorrectly moved, no harm but it should be moved back. 

3 hours ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Like I said. Picky. If this is all you can whine about your in good shape.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like I said. Picky. If this is all you can whine about your in good shape.

I think he was simply stating that it didn't make sense for the thread to be moved. Absolutely, no reason to say he's being picky when he has a completely valid point. This thread started with some great discussion about a player already on the Colt's roster that could make a splash next year with some of the changes going on. 

Not sure the moderator who moved this from the Colts page to here understands...

Grace..   the player in question...   is already ON THE COLTS ROSTER!  He's already a Colt!

This isn't someone the OP hopes we can acquire him.   Ballard has signed him already.   This thread was fine on the Colts page....

Just sayin....

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

A lot of folks are forgetting about an in-season acquisition in the linebacking core named Jermaine Grace, from the U (with a short stint in Atlanta).

He was a pretty studly linebacker at the U until his dismissal. But here are his measurements:

• Height: 6-0
  • Weight: 223 lbs
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.57 seconds
  • Bench Press: 21 reps of 225 lbs
  • Broad Jump: 120 inch
  • Vert Jump: 33 inch
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.37 seconds
  • 3-Cone Drill: 7.37 seconds

He would have been the 2nd fastest/quickest linebacker in the draft last year. His scouting profile sounds a lot like some of our successful WILL's from our past.

I would not count him out for at least depth at that spot especially since he made the Falcons roster last year (and they're stacked with talent) prior to coming to us!

He better bulk up just a bit.

18 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I think he was simply stating that it didn't make sense for the thread to be moved. Absolutely, no reason to say he's being picky when he has a completely valid point. This thread started with some great discussion about a player already on the Colt's roster that could make a splash next year with some of the changes going on. 

Like I said. Making an issue over a simple mistake is being picky. Some make little things in to mountains.  I am sure we all have better things to be upset about over something as minute as this.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like I said. Making an issue over a simple mistake is being picky. Some make little things in to mountains.  I am sure we all have better things to be upset about over something as minute as this.

He wasn't blasting the forums or saying anything malicious, storming the streets or creating mountains. Simply a little jest if anything and for a very valid point.

I agree, simple mistake not a huge deal at all, can easily be moved back. But with all do respect, the only escalation of the situation was you mentioning that he was being "picky" which I'm not even sure I understand how that definition qualifies in this instance. I feel that was pretty unwarranted is all and added nothing constructive to this thread just like my 3 post contribution it. 

1 minute ago, cjrulli said:

He wasn't blasting the forums or saying anything malicious, storming the streets or creating mountains. Simply a little jest if anything and for a very valid point.

I agree, simple mistake not a huge deal at all, can easily be moved back. But with all do respect, the only escalation of the situation was you mentioning that he was being "picky" which I'm not even sure I understand how that definition qualifies in this instance. I feel that was pretty unwarranted is all and added nothing constructive to this thread just like my 3 post contribution it. 

So by you wanting to turn this into an argument over silly stuff helps?  No thanks, find someone else to bicker with.

48 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Alright, I've been seeing all this stuff about the defense transitioning to a 4-3 and I haven't seen concrete proof that we are yet. Can anyone show me a tweet or send me a link from a reliable resource that we are in fact changing the defense?

I don't believe there has been any statements saying it was a done deal and moving back to a 4-3. I think most people are assuming it will happen because the d line coach that was/is going to be signed has a history in the 4-3 alignment.

48 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I would just ignore him instead of responding to him anymore. I think he goes from thread to thread just looking to start arguments. He acts like it was nothing to even think about yet has made multiple posts just to argue against your POV.  Like calling people picky for pointing out a mistake yet makes more post than anyone else telling us we were wrong and blowing up the matter, yet he is the one making a bigger deal about it.

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

Alright, I've been seeing all this stuff about the defense transitioning to a 4-3 and I haven't seen concrete proof that we are yet. Can anyone show me a tweet or send me a link from a reliable resource that we are in fact changing the defense?

I also would like to see proof pretty sure the rumored DC has been a part of both types of D he could easily keep the 3-4 or run multiple D 

Only thing you can do right now is connect dots.   The D Line coach Phair is coming from Illinois under Lovie Smith and we know what Lovie is about in terms of the 4-3 defense.   Eberflus is trained in both systems but he's coming from Dallas and the bulk of that staff is influenced schematically by the same people Lovie Smith learned from.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:18 PM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I agree...  one of my favorite images ever is Eric Dickerson and that gold Trans Am from Texas A&M!  He didn't keep that ride long, nor his commitment to A&M of course, but it's been going on forever.  And that's the thing, Grace owned it, stood tall, and was a man about it. 

image.thumb.png.22a3bd1142077ac23991f01d4a100a82.png

I remember that well!

44 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

223 is a bit too small he could easy go to 230 and be just fine.

In reality players weight fluctuates on a regular basses. A NFL player will lose 3% during practice and a game. They eat to gain that 3% just to work it off in a week. His playing weight could very well be that 230 you mention.