Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lance Zierlein Mock 1.0

I think he's a very sharp guy.     And --- AND --- he's also good friends with.......   Chris Ballard.      So this is a guy I pay close attention to.     To be clear,   I liked him a lot BEFORE I knew he and Ballard were friends.     The relationship is just a lot of extra gravy!  

The first 2/3rds of the mock is pretty straight forward.      Not too many surprises.     But the last third of the mock has more than a few surprises.    Worth a good read!

Enjoy!!     :thmup:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912165/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-10-darnold-barkley-bolster-browns

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

Were the picks of Jamarco Jones and Isaiah Wynn the ones that surprised you? Or Lamar to Jags? 

All of them...   but especially Jackson.  I just don't see a first round talent.    First round athlete -- yes.   Easily.    But first round quarterback?    Not yet.

Jones and Wynn I see as high second picks..    I just wasn't ready to see them mentioned in the first round.   At least, not yet.

Also, McGlinchy going 30th overall was a surprise.    As was Hernandez in the first.   This mock gives us THREE guards in the first.    Wasn't expecting that...

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All of them...   but especially Jackson.  I just don't see a first round talent.    First round athlete -- yes.   Easily.    But first round quarterback?    Not yet.

Jones and Wynn I see as high second picks..    I just wasn't ready to see them mentioned in the first round.   At least, not yet.

Yeah, I kind of expect one of them to go late in the first, but I wasn't ready for both of them. I think it will be good if one of them falls to us in the second.

One interesting thing is he doesn't have Tremaine Edmunds in the first round at all.. Some people are falling in love with him and have him going ahead of Raquan Smith....my dream scenario is Chubb in the 1st and Edmunds in the 2nd, but I don't think Edmunds lasts that long.

8 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

One interesting thing is he doesn't have Tremaine Edmunds in the first round at all.. Some people are falling in love with him and have him going ahead of Raquan Smith....my dream scenario is Chubb in the 1st and Edmunds in the 2nd, but I don't think Edmunds lasts that long.

I see him listed at #9, going to SF.

33 minutes ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Zierlein doesnt have Arden Key going in the first round.  I would be surprised if he falls to the second.  Ive read one article that Key may have some character concerns, but do not know the details.  Based on talent alone, id love to get him in the 2nd.

A couple of people have him falling out of the first, Kiper being another. His combine should raise his stock though.

Don't see what others see in key. Yes measurables are there but put on the tape and there's not much that pops. Stats aren't great either. I've read that some scouts question his desire to play. I'd rather address pass rush in the 1st than take key in the 2nd hoping he finally wants to focus on football. 

I thought it was interesting that he said the Colts could go in several directions but adding Chubb would address a need without them having to reach to do so.  In Ballard's interview at the Senior Bowl he said he likes to use FA to address holes so they don't feel the need to reach in the draft.  The rumors about the Colts pursuing Ansah hard in FA would eliminate the hole we have at ER and would allow Ballard to take the BPA(Barkley) at 3 instead of the Browns taking him at 4 which is what he's currently mocking.  If Ansah hits FA I think we're going after him HARD. 

3 hours ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Zierlein doesnt have Arden Key going in the first round.  I would be surprised if he falls to the second.  Ive read one article that Key may have some character concerns, but do not know the details.  Based on talent alone, id love to get him in the 2nd.

He will probably be there for us in the second, and we will probably pass on him. 

Loads of talent..... But you can't teach "want to". 

Do not want Arden Key. Is a first round talent, but has bust written all over him. Many looking at him like Mingo. Mingo only decided this year it seems he wanted to really play. Key just does not have that "want to" and motor you need. If he did, he would be top 5. Too big of a chance, even in the early second. We need high quality but no character concerns. I also would prefer us not to take Malik Jefferson. Great athlete again, but his motor seems to go hot and cold, although I would prefer him over Key if it was in the 2nd. My preference would be Chubb, Fitzpatrick or Barkley in the first, and Edmunds if we trade back, and then taking one of the lineman who is going to drop to the 2nd. There are several good OL, and some will drop to the early second. I hope it is Hernadez or Wynn, but he did not have Kolton Miller from UCLA in his draft, or the tackle from Oregon who is highly thought of. Whoever drops out of the group I believe we grab in the 2nd. If we trade back and were to get two extra 2's, how great to pick up two of those OL. Hopefully we would be set, because everything I have heard about Miller, Wynn, Hernandez is they are like Kelly, when we drafted him. Ready to plug and play right away.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:32 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think he's a very sharp guy.     And --- AND --- he's also good friends with.......   Chris Ballard.      So this is a guy I pay close attention to.     To be clear,   I liked him a lot BEFORE I knew he and Ballard were friends.     The relationship is just a lot of extra gravy!  

The first 2/3rds of the mock is pretty straight forward.      Not too many surprises.     But the last third of the mock has more than a few surprises.    Worth a good read!

Enjoy!!     :thmup:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912165/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-10-darnold-barkley-bolster-browns

Good read...but one could argue the fact that he is friends with Ballard could mean he is more likely to be used by Ballard for misinformation. It's all about misinformation this time of year...especially when the stakes are so high at the top of the 1st round. It's going to be fun.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:36 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Also, McGlinchy going 30th overall was a surprise.    As was Hernandez in the first.   This mock gives us THREE guards in the first.    Wasn't expecting that...

I have seen a few mocks with 3+ OGs in the 1st round. To that I say...keep em coming and push those WRs and RBs down to day two. This is a deep draft with interior OL, so I hope the Colts can get an extra day two pick (or two) and grab one late on day two.

The priority in FA should be addressing the RG position. If they do that effectively, then they shouldn't have to invest too heavily in the LG position.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Good read...but one could argue the fact that he is friends with Ballard could mean he is more likely to be used by Ballard for misinformation. It's all about misinformation this time of year...especially when the stakes are so high at the top of the 1st round. It's going to be fun.

Go back and look at who we drafted last year.     

Zierlein loved them all.    I believe they share similar views and values as scouts.

I don't see Ballard using him.

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Chubb seems to be the universal pick for us now. In the last couple of drafts though I don’t know how many of the consensus picks for us have ever been right though. No one expected Hooker last year or Dorsett in 2015. 

I don't think anybody expected Hooker to be where he was, which is what triggered the move.   This time what happens between pick 1 and 2 is pretty predictable unless we trade back.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly looking at the dirth of quality FA for O-line Hernandez and McGlinchy etc....may end up going higher in the first round as we near draft day.....may be a quirky run on O-line this year in round 1 just like the quirky run last year that let us snag Hooker.... Ps thanks for the OP and the link, fun read

On 1/30/2018 at 4:48 PM, richard pallo said:

I thought it was interesting that he said the Colts could go in several directions but adding Chubb would address a need without them having to reach to do so.  In Ballard's interview at the Senior Bowl he said he likes to use FA to address holes so they don't feel the need to reach in the draft.  The rumors about the Colts pursuing Ansah hard in FA would eliminate the hole we have at ER and would allow Ballard to take the BPA(Barkley) at 3 instead of the Browns taking him at 4 which is what he's currently mocking.  If Ansah hits FA I think we're going after him HARD. 

Ansah is too old. We would still need another young Edge Rusher. He would be a nice player to have though. 

48 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Ansah is too old. We would still need another young Edge Rusher. He would be a nice player to have though. 

Too old?  He's 28 the same age as Luck and TY.   He's not young but he's not old.  He should have a lot of good years ahead of him.  I think he would be a great addition and a fill a major hole. 

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Too old?  He's 28 the same age as Luck and TY.   He's not young but he's not old.  He should have a lot of good years ahead of him.  I think he would be a great addition and a fill a major hole. 

What I'm trying to say is that acquiring Ansah wouldn't and shouldn't preclude Ballard from drafting an edge rusher early in the draft. 

The only thing I use mock drafts for before the combine and pro days is to see draft order. That board will look completely different the week heading up to the draft....not worried one bit about it. As far as Ansah effecting what we do in the draft...I really don't see it. I don't think that would stop us from taking Chubb in the first at all. It usually takes a year or two for a pass rusher to really find their game....and even if Chubb does early we could use someone to take the attention off him by opposing defenses. Wouldn't hurt at all to give him some help as he grows. I'm not really a big fan of Ansah (too many nagging injuries and up and down performances) but if we went that route I don't think it would mean anything for the draft. We got so little pressure last year we would need the help. By the time Chubb would be hitting his stride Ansah would be moving on anyways...but would be a nice stop gap in the mean time.