Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Students of Colts history

horseshoecrabs

My question is  are you loyal enough to follow the Colts no matter which city it may play in? My point is I have a cousin who is a big fan of the Rams when they first were in LA , Roman Gabreil, fearsome foursome ect...  Did he stop following them when they went to ST Louis? No. But now their full circle back to LA. Still loyal. My point is if you are a fan of a team the city is irrelevant  . It's about the team not the city they play.

14 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

My question is  are you loyal enough to follow the Colts no matter which city it may play in? My point is I have a cousin who is a big fan of the Rams when they first were in LA , Roman Gabreil, fearsome foursome ect...  Did he stop following them when they went to ST Louis? No. But now their full circle back to LA. Still loyal. My point is if you are a fan of a team the city is irrelevant  . It's about the team not the city they play.

That is a great question because I have only been a Truefan since 1984 when the Colts moved to Indy. I am only 46 years old so I was 13 when the 1984 season started. I am so invested in them now I probably would still be fan as long as they kept the Colts name. I don't see them moving from here for at least 10+ years because we just built LOS in 2008 and have a contract with the city to be here for a long time.

3 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I don't know if I would be a fan if they switched cities. I was a young kid when they came to Indy and wasn't a Colts fan before then, and the Colts history prior to Indy doesn't really mean that much to me.  I suppose If they moved and weren't replaced I would probably continue as a fan. If a new franchise replaced them in Indy I don't know where my allegiance would be.

Some NFL cities have declining populations coupled with third world conditions while Indy is nice and beautiful, not to mention it's the10th largest NFL city.  Thankfully we'll never have to worry about the Colts leaving Indy.

Indy fans generally recognize pre-1984 Colts' history, however it seems virtually every player associated with the Baltimore Colts prefers their names be attached to Ravens history, not the Colts.  

Unitas, Jones, Manning & Luck.  Man our franchise is blessed.

18 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

Some NFL cities have declining populations coupled with third world conditions while Indy is nice and beautiful, not to mention it's the10th largest NFL city.  Thankfully we'll never have to worry about the Colts leaving Indy.

Indy fans generally recognize pre-1984 Colts' history, however it seems virtually every player associated with the Baltimore Colts prefers their names be attached to Ravens history, not the Colts.  

Strange being the Ravens history is the Browns history being it was the Browns who moved to Baltimore.

5 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Unitas and Shula never liked each other. Johnny U was used to doing his own thing and I think Shula took over play-calling. Not putting him in a lot sooner in SB3 when it was obvious Morrall didn't have it or was throwing the game was the last straw. After they went 8-6 or so the next year Rosenbloom decided to let Shula go by not matching what Miami offered. Shula couldn't win a big game to save his life with the Colts. 64 title debacle, SB3, 67 home loss to the Rams, etc. The thing about Morrall in the SB was the play that Orr was wide open in the end zone , he was the first option. Everything about that game stunk with him. 

It is hard to find anything in writing criticizing Shula. Unitas didn't like any coach as he believed he could run his offense on his own. There are several issues surrounding Shula's firing.As for Morrall, he was damn good. The Colts strutted in as the monsters only to get spanked in front of the whole country by Broadway Joe the antithesis of Unitas. That game burns in my memory and in other parts to this day.

11 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

True, except Modell left his teams (Browns) history in Cleveland.  Possibly a lesson learned from Robert Irsay.

Not really. Modell was being sued while Robert Irsay just moved pending imminent domain.

Two different scenarios all together.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not really. Modell was being sued while Robert Irsay just moved pending imminent domain.

Two different scenarios all together.

Except you mentioned Ravens history is Browns history, which it clearly is not.  I pointed the difference out to the OP because players from the Baltimore Colts have aligned themselves with the city of Baltimore and the Ravens.  You do remember the topic, right?

14 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think it was Seinfield who said - You follow the laundry.  A Raiders fan is a Raiders fan.  There's probably not too many people alive who were Chicago Cardinal fans, but I bet some followed them to  St. Louis and then Arizona.

I've been a Colts fan since the Baltimore days.  I have no allegiance to Indy.  Although it's a much nicer city than Baltimore, IMHO, and I really enjoy going to the games there.

6 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Except you mentioned Ravens history is Browns history, which it clearly is not.  I pointed the difference out to the OP because players from the Baltimore Colts have aligned themselves with the city of Baltimore and the Ravens.  You do remember the topic, right?

Except you failed to mention that the Browns players who were in Cleveland moved to Baltimore when the move was made.  Therefore there are Brown/Raven players who have history in both cities.

50 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Except you failed to mention that the Browns players who were in Cleveland moved to Baltimore when the move was made.  Therefore there are Brown/Raven players who have history in both cities.

Go back and read my posts.

As it pertains to Colts' history I mentioned that generally Colts' players from Baltimore's era overwhelmingly want to be affiliated with the Ravens, not the Colts.  I guess my point was that Indy fans would embrace Baltimore's history to a much greater extent if the opportunity presented itself.

I only brought up Art Modell as a point of reference regarding an owner leaving his brand to the city, unlike Robert Irsay.  How pre-1996 Cleveland Browns players feel about the Ravens means less than nothing to me.

4 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

As it pertains to Colts' history I mentioned that generally Colts' players from Baltimore's era overwhelmingly want to be affiliated with the Ravens, not the Colts.  I guess my point was that Indy fans would embrace Baltimore's history to a much greater extent if the opportunity presented itself.

I only brought up Art Modell as a point of reference regarding an owner leaving his brand to the city, unlike Robert Irsay.  How pre-1996 Cleveland Browns players feel about the Ravens means less than nothing to me.

Well if the Colts players who played in Baltimore don't want to be a part of the history of the Colts it's their loss.

But one thing you may not know is I was a Colt fan quite some time before they moved to Indy. I been a Colts fan since 1973 so the history of the Colts in Baltimore and Indy means a little more to me than a fan who only knows the Indy Colts. I am not the only member of this forum who was fans of the Baltimore Colts either.

So maybe you could understand why I made the issue of the difference between R. Irsay and Modell. The circumstances were a lot different and comparing them is not relevant.

When Modell first announced the move to Baltimore the team was announced as the Baltimore Browns so had he not been sued the name would have left with the team.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:35 PM, Smonroe said:

Morrall threw that game.  Find the old Bubba Smith interview about it.  Rosenbloom was a known gambler, he obviously had quick access to his QB.  

One day the real story will come out. 

His interceptions were thrown straight to exColt Johnny Sample.

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well if the Colts players who played in Baltimore don't want to be a part of the history of the Colts it's their loss.

But one thing you may not know is I was a Colt fan quite some time before they moved to Indy. I been a Colts fan since 1973 so the history of the Colts in Baltimore and Indy means a little more to me than a fan who only knows the Indy Colts. I am not the only member of this forum who was fans of the Baltimore Colts either.

So maybe you could understand why I made the issue of the difference between R. Irsay and Modell. The circumstances were a lot different and comparing them is not relevant.

When Modell first announced the move to Baltimore the team was announced as the Baltimore Browns so had he not been sued the name would have left with the team.

I think I understand where you're coming from @crazycolt1, thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think it was Seinfield who said - You follow the laundry.  A Raiders fan is a Raiders fan.  There's probably not too many people alive who were Chicago Cardinal fans, but I bet some followed them to  St. Louis and then Arizona.

I've been a Colts fan since the Baltimore days.  I have no allegiance to Indy.  Although it's a much nicer city than Baltimore, IMHO, and I really enjoy going to the games there.

It's nice to hear a non resident of Indy saying good things about Indy. I have lived in Indy most of my life outside of the ages between 14 and 21. I can recall when downtown Indy was someplace you didn't want to be especially after dark.

That all changed when the Hoosier dome was built and the Colts moved here. The original plans for the dome was to have it built in the suburbs out of the inner city. Keep in mind the Dome was built before knowing any pro football team was moving here. It was a huge gamble we would even get a NFL team here. It was the Cardinals who were suppose to move here originally.  It totally blew my mind when it was announced the Colts were coming here. My favorite team was coming to my home town!! 

Needless to say the Colts moving here in a dome downtown transitioned this downtown area into something we all can be proud of. Right on into Lucus Oil Stadium. We now have one of the largest and best convention businesses in the country and it started with the Colts coming to town.

By all means come back to Indy, we welcome you. :colts:   

On 1/29/2018 at 12:14 AM, Clem-Dog said:

I don't know , a lot of  the 75-76 team showed up for the reunion a few years ago.  Unitas, Matte, and maybe Laird are the ones that have been hardline about it . Ray Berry could care less.  I saw Bert Jones at a couple camps in Anderson way back .  

On 1/29/2018 at 5:32 PM, Clem-Dog said:

That's not true imo.  There are a few that feel that way. I don't think most of them are that attached.  

On 1/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, crazycolt1 said:

It's nice to hear a non resident of Indy saying good things about Indy. I have lived in Indy most of my life outside of the ages between 14 and 21. I can recall when downtown Indy was someplace you didn't want to be especially after dark.

That all changed when the Hoosier dome was built and the Colts moved here. The original plans for the dome was to have it built in the suburbs out of the inner city. Keep in mind the Dome was built before knowing any pro football team was moving here. It was a huge gamble we would even get a NFL team here. It was the Cardinals who were suppose to move here originally.  It totally blew my mind when it was announced the Colts were coming here. My favorite team was coming to my home town!! 

Needless to say the Colts moving here in a dome downtown transitioned this downtown area into something we all can be proud of. Right on into Lucus Oil Stadium. We now have one of the largest and best convention businesses in the country and it started with the Colts coming to town.

By all means come back to Indy, we welcome you. :colts:   

You know me and I will always have fond memories of the time I went to Indy and watched them in 1999.....

As a life long Colts fan, inherited from my Father, but from NYC it was tough.  I used to go to Jets games when they played and was able to watch them twice a year via tv against the Jets regardless.  If I got the antenna just right with foil, I could view the Pats games vs them.  I watched Bert Jones win the MVP only to succumb to the great Steelers and Raiders teams of the time....then ultimately injuries and a trade to the Rams.  Dutton was traded and many more and it was the beginning of the end of that era....soon paper bags donned fan's heads and they were renamed the (D)olts.  I thought we had Elway but he weaseled out and suddenly there was a move in the dead of the night...Many terrible teams followed with the exception of 1987 and 1995...many hopefuls were squandered like George and Etman. 

Then Indy had a chance to draft Peyton AND he had Marvin waiting to catch for him....Edge was drafted and Glenn was already there.  So I bought tickets for me and my Father to watch the Cinnci game in 1999.  I was very impressed by the RCA Dome and they even had ads asking no one to curse????????????????  Being from NY I was very happy to see that as by then it had been difficult to have a family night out at a sporting event there.  You were lucky if you weren't attacked, let alone cursed at.  My Dad and I were in the nose bleeds and we had Bengals fans behind us...they were a little rowdy and I thought I may have to drop one or two, but Dad handled them and before you knew it they were buying him beers!  Lol, I was the designated driver.  Indy won, humanity won, and I will ALWAYS treasure that moment in time.  I am proud to be a Colts fan regardless of where they play but hope they stay in Indy and my late Father would agree.

4 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

You know me and I will always have fond memories of the time I went to Indy and watched them in 1999.....

As a life long Colts fan, inherited from my Father, but from NYC it was tough.  I used to go to Jets games when they played and was able to watch them twice a year via tv against the Jets regardless.  If I got the antenna just right with foil, I could view the Pats games vs them.  I watched Bert Jones win the MVP only to succumb to the great Steelers and Raiders teams of the time....then ultimately injuries and a trade to the Rams.  Dutton was traded and many more and it was the beginning of the end of that era....soon paper bags donned fans heads and they were renamed the Colts.  I thought we had Elway but he weaseled out and suddenly there was a move in the dead of the night...Many terrible teams followed with the exception of 1987 and 1995...many hopefuls were squandered like George and Etman. 

Then Indy had a chance to draft Peyton AND he had Marvin waiting to catch for him....Edge was drafted and Glenn was already there.  So I bought tickets for me and my Father to watch the Cinnci game in 1999.  I was very impressed by the RCA Dome and they even had ads asking no one to curse????????????????  Being from NY I was very happy to see that as by then it had been difficult to have a family night out at a sporting event there.  You were lucky if you weren't attacked, let alone cursed at.  My Dad and I were in the nose bleeds and we had Bengals fans behind us...they were a little rowdy and I thought I may have to drop one or two, but Dad handled them and before you knew it they were buying him beers!  Lol, I was the designated driver.  Indy won, humanity won, and I will ALWAYS treasure that moment in time.  I am proud to be a Colts fan regardless of where they play but hope they stay in Indy and my late Father would agree.

Yeah the Hoosier/RCA dome holds some great memories for me as well. Not only quite a few Colts games but Pink Floyd, Genesis and Farm Aid too.

I watched the Hoosier dome built piece by piece as I worked in a building that was in the parking lot of the dome. We watched it being built and thought it was a waist of time because we didn't think it would pay for itself. No one even knew a NFL team was coming here because Indy didn't even know. It was built on a pure gamble by the city with no clue if a NFL team would ever come here. It really was a great place to watch a football game because of the closeness of the fans to the field.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah the Hoosier/RCA dome holds some great memories for me as well. Not only quite a few Colts games but Pink Floyd, Genesis and Farm Aid too.

I watched the Hoosier dome built piece by piece as I worked in a building that was in the parking lot of the dome. We watched it being built and thought it was a waist of time because we didn't think it would pay for itself. No one even knew a NFL team was coming here because Indy didn't even know. It was built on a pure gamble by the city with no clue if a NFL team would ever come here. It really was a great place to watch a football game because of the closeness of the fans to the field.

I concur my friend...played some Southern Boogie for you Brother!

40 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You certainly got to see some remarkable live acts there in INDY. Sweet. Musicians are like Gods to me, especially the artists/groups you mentioned above who occupy elite, rarified air. Thanks for sharing your thoughts CC1. You're always an intriguing read.