Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players reportedly did not like playing for McDaniels

masterlock

I know some fans seem to really want Josh McDaniels as the next HC. But I would be very concerned about hiring someone who 1) Was not successful as a head coach, and perhaps more importantly, 2) Had problems with interpersonal relationships with players.

Here are a couple of articles which touch upon this aspect of McDaniels:

A quote from the first article: "Ultimately, McDaniels’s biggest problems in Denver were player personnel decisions and interpersonal relationships."

Source: https://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/10/7521191/the-case-for-and-against-josh-mcdaniels-as-49ers-head-coach

A quote from the 2nd article: "but when it hit the fan and things got tough, guys didn’t want to go the extra mile for him.”

Source: http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/23/why-was-josh-mcdaniels-not-a-good-head-coach-with-denver-broncos/

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually a fan of McDaniels but this stuff does worry me. There's a lot of "he's changed" stories but I don't know, it could be fluff.

To me he's the best X's and O's candidate that we could realistically get. I actually think his first year in Denver was sort of impressive, at least that stretch where they won like 6 straight. But yeah that 2nd season that got him fired, all the locker room problems. He might just be an unlikeable guy. 

I think Ballard could get a good read on him in an interview though.

I guess the OP hasn’t read this, this is a must read article about Josh McDaniels:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

He won’t have control over personnel decisions and I trust Irsay and Ballard to make the right decision. I cannot play conjecture but I can present published articles. :)

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I guess the OP hasn’t read this, this is a must read article about Josh McDaniels:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

Nice article.  Everyone should take that advice and learn from their mistakes.  Or at least not repeat them.  

Just now, Smonroe said:

Nice article.  Everyone should take that advice and learn from their mistakes.  Or at least not repeat them.  

Exactly!!! In the quest for truth, if your mind is already made up, one can never be open minded. So let Irsay and Ballard do their digging before settling on the truth about where Josh McDaniels is right now. That’d be the right thing to do, IMO.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He won’t have control over personnel decisions and I trust Irsay and Ballard to make the right decision. I cannot play conjecture but I can present published articles. :)

My concern was never about him having control over personnel decisions. It was about his poor relationships with players. The article you cite doesn't do much to dispel that concern. It's great he has a good relationship with Brady. But that's just one player. 

A quote from the article you cited: "(Broncos) punter Mitch Berger said ...'I never played for a guy in my life who guys wanted to play for less," he said. "He was just a guy you didn't care about.'"

1 minute ago, masterlock said:

My concern was never about him having control over personnel decisions. It was about his poor relationships with players. The article you cite doesn't do much to dispel that concern. It's great he has a good relationship with Brady. But that's just one player. That doesn't alleviate my concerns. 

A quote from the article you cited: "(Broncos) punter Mitch Berger said ...'I never played for a guy in my life who guys wanted to play for less," he said. "He was just a guy you didn't care about.'"

1 minute ago, masterlock said:

My concern was never about him having control over personnel decisions. It was about his poor relationships with players. The article you cite doesn't do much to dispel that concern. It's great he has a good relationship with Brady. But that's just one player. That doesn't alleviate my concerns. 

Again, if your mind is made up, I respect that but will agree to disagree that men can’t change. 

That's no surprise.  McDaniels was very immature in Denver.  But the reason why there's a lot of buzz surrounding him for another head coaching gig is because he's grown and matured over the years, as @chad72's link showed.  Just because a guy didn't hit a home run on everything he did in his first head coaching gig, doesn't mean he's doomed to be an awful coach for the rest of his life.  People grow and change and mature.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Again, if your mind is made up, I respect that but will agree to disagree that men can’t change. 

Of course people can change. But you can never be sure. It's a roll of the dice, and personally, I'm not willing to take that bet. I'd rather take a chance on someone like Dave Taub, who has a proven record of excellence, and who is a coach known for having excellent relationships with both players and staff. 

8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

That's no surprise.  McDaniels was very immature in Denver.  But the reason why there's a lot of buzz surrounding him for another head coaching gig is because he's grown and matured over the years, as @chad72's link showed.  Just because a guy didn't hit a home run on everything he did in his first head coaching gig, doesn't mean he's doomed to be an awful coach for the rest of his life.  People grow and change and mature.

As a man myself, I can tell you maturity issues are a real problem for men into their 30s. McDaniels is 41 now, and hopefully he’s matured more and learnt his lessons. He recently argued with Brady because Dorsett was open in the Bills game but Brady refused to look his way. It’s good that he doesn’t treat his stars with kid gloves and goes to bat for a first year wide out (for the Pats roster).

The same thing can be spun around and one can say “see, his relationships with players aren’t the best”. People see what they want to see. :)

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

As a man myself, I can tell you maturity issues are a real problem for men into their 30s. McDaniels is 41 now, and hopefully he’s matured more and learnt his lessons. 

I always had the impression that he was arrogant, like he thought he was smarter than everyone.  The article you posted says he realized his failings and worked to improve them.  

I kind of doubt we get him, Ballard will probably stay in the KC tree with someone he knows.  But if we do, I think we’ll be happy with him.  

(Besides, he’s from NE Ohio, so he must be a good guy)

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They can change their personalities, but they usually don't.  They can learn to mask it.  They can learn to change their actions, but people are who they are deep down and that rarely ever changes significantly.  They learn to moderate it.  People usually need to have some life-altering trauma to change significantly and his life altering trauma has been the extent of going from respected NE OC to being HC back to being respected NE OC.....from making a few million dollars to only a million dollars. 

Don't know if he has personal demons that he's had to slay, but from what we know so far his that situation hasn't ever changed much, so I wouldn't count on him changing much. 

Everyone’s excuse for not wanting McDaniels is that he failed in Denver and wasn’t liked by the players.  The same was said for BB in Cleveland and now he’s the best coach in the league.  I think he’s learned and they guy up above who claims to have a “read” on him, you’ve never met him.  You chant get a read on someone without talking to them personally.

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

Players reportedly did not like playing for McDaniels

That's what I have been saying. Just listen to the guy talk! He is not a guy we want making decisions for our team. 

Something does not jive with that dude, man.

We bring him in, and I think we can flush this franchise down the tubes for a few years. 

10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There is more to coaching then Ws and Ls and IMO he is only good at that

Agreed.  And I'm not sure why people think he is good at Xs and Os. 

The Pats O has been good with him or without him, so what exactly does he bring to the table that another short-pass based OC with Brady, Gronk, and Edelman wouldn't?