Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did Haeg replace Good?

zvich

In the first half Good held Von Miller to just 3 pressures. Good had one bad play where miller sacked Brisset but he barley got the ball out. Then after that i didn't see him return to RT. Haeg replaced him and got destroyed play after play by miller. Did Good get injured? I was just really happy with the way Good was playing and really confused on why he didn't return. Any one know?

2 minutes ago, zvich said:

In the first half Good held Von Miller to just 3 pressures. Good had one bad play where miller sacked Brisset but he barley got the ball out. Then after that i didn't see him return to RT. Haeg replaced him and got destroyed play after play by miller. Did Good get injured? I was just really happy with the way Good was playing and really confused on why he didn't return. Any one know?

I think Denzelle got hurt...   I thought I noticed a limp...    hopefully it's not serious...    

47 minutes ago, zvich said:

I think that "one bad play" you refer to is when Miller bull rushed Good and got to Brissett. I'm thinking that's the play Good hurt his knee on as a few plays later I noticed Clark was in the game .

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

And this is Good’s apparent ongoing issue ... shows promise, but cannot stay on the field / stay healthy.

There comes a time when availability trumps potential, but injury prone.   It’s so frustrating.

Thats it.  As they say - Availability is one of the most important abilities.   He’s hurt more than he’s available.  

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

You know what he is “good” for is always being on the ground or being pushed back into the QB. I don’t get the hype here. It started in 2015 when he had one standout game at RT. Hasn’t played well since.

And people wet themselves when Irsay came out and said some nice things about him. Because people are so desperate to already have an answer or fix for a problem, they overrate all the players on the roster.

His injuries aren’t good for his development, but for a third year, seventh round draft pick out of Mars Hill College, I’m not gonna fault him too hard for getting beat by Von Miller a few times. Just by staying on the team for these last three years he has surpassed expectations, and should definitely have a roster spot over Le’Raven Clark. Same for Joe Haeg; late round pick in his second year as a pro, he’s going to have growing pains. Offensive lineman take the longest time to develop so when they show actual development in their young careers, you don’t cast them aside because they get beat by the best pass rushers in the game. 

13 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

His injuries aren’t good for his development, but for a third year, seventh round draft pick out of Mars Hill College, I’m not gonna fault him too hard for getting beat by Von Miller a few times. Just by staying on the team for these last three years he has surpassed expectations, and should definitely have a roster spot over Le’Raven Clark. Same for Joe Haeg; late round pick in his second year as a pro, he’s going to have growing pains. Offensive lineman take the longest time to develop so when they show actual development in their young careers, you don’t cast them aside because they get beat by the best pass rushers in the game. 

Well....some perspective! Totally agree. 

19 hours ago, a06cc said:

Good has to go after this season. When is healthy is hyped up here on this forum. How do you weight 335 pounds and get manhandled? 

I don't see Good leaving.

He's stil on a rookie contract and he plays pretty well (when he's healthy and I know he's not healthy enough)...

I don't see the Colts giving up on a physical freak who is still young, talented and shows promise.    He's cheap and controllable and if we let him go and he goes elsewhere and develops then that's a bad look for the Colts.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see Good leaving.

He's stil on a rookie contract and he plays pretty well (when he's healthy and I know he's not healthy enough)...

I don't see the Colts giving up on a physical freak who is still young, talented and shows promise.    He's cheap and controllable and if we let him go and he goes elsewhere and develops then that's a bad look for the Colts.

We have different views of Good. I don’t see a physical freak. I see him get physically tossed aside or pushed back into the QB. He can be replaced.

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

We have different views of Good. I don’t see a physical freak. I see him get physically tossed aside or pushed back into the QB. He can be replaced.

Hes still raw and learning.    Good runs very well, jumps very high for a man of his size.     But he tests well...   he's got great measurable skill beyond just height and weight.    

The He problems that he had ate correctable with time, patience and better coaching.     Remember...    Goid came from tiny Mars Hill.   Good is the first player from that school to reach the NFL.   Scouts found him because his first few years he spent st North Carolina State where he impressed.     So he's still very raw.    But the skill set is stilll there.

Id love to see him lose 10-15 more pounds.   I think that would be helpful.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hes still raw and learning.    Good runs very well, jumps very high for a man of his size.     But he tests well...   he's got great measurable skill beyond just height and weight.    

The He problems that he had ate correctable with time, patience and better coaching.     Remember...    Goid came from tiny Mars Hill.   Good is the first player from that school to reach the NFL.   Scouts found him because his first few years he spent st North Carolina State where he impressed.     So he's still very raw.    But the skill set is stilll there.

Id love to see him lose 10-15 more pounds.   I think that would be helpful.

It’s been 3 season. A lot of people have given up on Clark as well. I seen no difference in the two players. 

11 minutes ago, a06cc said:

It’s been 3 season. A lot of people have given up on Clark as well. I seen no difference in the two players. 

The fact that a lot of people have given up on Clark doesn't interest me at all.

This website does not have a good track record of knowing what to do.     People here give up on players all the time.   Everyone wants a new shiny toy to play with.     The old one doesn't work good enough,  so throw it out.    That's fine for a fan base,  but it doesn't work nearly as well in the NFL where sometimes you have to be patient and keep teaching these kids and watch them develop.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The fact that a lot of people have given up on Clark doesn't interest me at all.

This website does not have a good track record of knowing what to do.     People here give up on players all the time.   Everyone wants a new shiny toy to play with.     The old one doesn't work good enough,  so throw it out.    That's fine for a fan base,  but it doesn't work nearly as well in the NFL where sometimes you have to be patient and keep teaching these kids and watch them develop.

I’m going to change my narrative about both players. I seen negative in each of them. However like you said give them time. So that’s what I’ll do. 

3 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I’m going to change my narrative about both players. I seen negative in each of them. However like you said give them time. So that’s what I’ll do. 

Thanks....    appreciate that...   classy move...    and I want to be clear...    I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative.    Just trying to explain my thinking.

I suspect that at times, I'm too patient.   I hate the idea of giving by up on players and watch them go elsewhere and become successful for another team.   If I were a scout I'd lose tons of sleep over that very real possibility.    

I wish I knew Ballard well enough to know his thinking.  He might cut guys like Clark and Good.   He didn't draft them.   But he might keep them for another cheap year and hope good coaching brings their potential out of them.  O-lineman often mature late.    Wish I knew.   If only I could be inside his head........   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks....    appreciate that...   classy move...    and I want to be clear...    I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative.    Just trying to explain my thinking.

I suspect that at times, I'm too patient.   I hate the idea of giving by up on players and watch them go elsewhere and become successful for another team.   If I were a scout I'd lose tons of sleep over that very real possibility.    

I wish I knew Ballard well enough to know his thinking.  He might cut guys like Clark and Good.   He didn't draft them.   But he might keep them for another cheap year and hope good coaching brings their potential out of them.  O-lineman often mature late.    Wish I knew.   If only I could be inside his head........   

My thing with Clark is that I feel he should be playing on the left side. That’s where his technique would excel. That’s where he played in college. I don’t understand Joe’s shuffling of the line. It failed with Mewhort as well. He was fine on the left side.