Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

brissetts ranking

OLD FAN MAN

On 11/14/2017 at 10:16 PM, crazycolt1 said:

He started 2 games prior to coming to the Colts. He was drafted in 2016. So yes he is a rookie.

Two regular season games. And that was after finishing another game Jimmy Garoppolo was injured in. Nobody with a brain will tell you someone who did anything in the NFL is a rookie.

On 11/14/2017 at 6:57 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

espn has brissett ranked at 25 out of 32 is he this bad

FWIW, nfl.com has him #14. His comp % is a solid 60%, & he throws deep kind of a lot. He’s playing better than an average NFL rookie QB (which is essentially what he is), & he didn’t even have training camp or preseason to learn our offense.

Technically he isn't a rookie but logic says he is because he had 2 starts prior to coming here and was just drafted in 2016. That is like some people saying Ballard is doing worse than Grigson because we are 3-7 when common sense would tell anyone he cleaning up Grigson's mess and Luck has been out all season.

Edited by 21isSuperman

7 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Two regular season games. And that was after finishing another game Jimmy Garoppolo was injured in. Nobody with a brain will tell you someone who did anything in the NFL is a rookie.

Do you understand what context means? I explained it but you insult me so no more for you. Bye.

17 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

FWIW, nfl.com has him #14. His comp % is a solid 60%, & he throws deep kind of a lot. He’s playing better than an average NFL rookie QB (which is essentially what he is), & he didn’t even have training camp or preseason to learn our offense.

i would rank him higher too, i like him, needs to learn to not throw fastballs on short passes but he can learn this

On 11/14/2017 at 10:11 PM, WarGhost21 said:

Two problems with this statement:

1) He is a running QB

2) He isn't a rookie

What makes him a "running" QB? Serious question. I noticed you have not replied to other comments pointing out why he is not a running QB. I am interested to hear why you believe he is. 

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What makes him a "running" QB? Serious question. I noticed you have not replied to other comments pointing out why he is not a running QB. I am interested to hear why you believe he is. 

Sorry I haven't responded to those. I have been busy with a line of death firefighter funeral this past week. I see him as a running QB because he tends to try to escape the pocket more often than not. You look at non-running QBs and they all tend to stay in the pocket as long as they can. Brissett leaves a little early sometimes and isn't afraid to take off with his feet. He's a heavy built QB, so while he may not have the speed of a Mariota or a Watson, he has the power of a Cam Newton. I understand Newton is fast too, but he isn't quite as fast as many running QBs, and Brissett is just a slightly slower clone of him from what I see. Even looking at his draft report, the first line says he isn't afraid to challenge defenses with his feet. That's why I see him as a running-QB

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Sorry I haven't responded to those. I have been busy with a line of death firefighter funeral this past week. I see him as a running QB because he tends to try to escape the pocket more often than not. You look at non-running QBs and they all tend to stay in the pocket as long as they can. Brissett leaves a little early sometimes and isn't afraid to take off with his feet. He's a heavy built QB, so while he may not have the speed of a Mariota or a Watson, he has the power of a Cam Newton. I understand Newton is fast too, but he isn't quite as fast as many running QBs, and Brissett is just a slightly slower clone of him from what I see. Even looking at his draft report, the first line says he isn't afraid to challenge defenses with his feet. That's why I see him as a running-QB

I wouldn't so much call him a 'running QB', he's more so a 'QB that can run'.

Difference being, the first one I feel describes players who rely mostly on their legs, and have that as part of their strengths. This can be evidenced with the abundance of designed QB runs teams will use (like Seattle with Russ, Carolina with Cam and the Titans with Mariota).

Meanwhile Brissett I think is more of a guy whose able to break the pocket when things get bad, buy more time and turn negative plays into something at least minimally positive). Aside from that nasty touchdown run against CLE, most of his runs I think are like that.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:04 AM, aaron11 said:

the ranking is fair, what did you expect from a backup who missed the offseason?

I think 25th is a bit too low. Hes been better than that IMO. I think 20th is closer to being right which someone else in this thread said.

25th is basically near the bottom and I think he's better than that. At least at 20 hes above the worst ones.

On 11/15/2017 at 5:32 AM, zibby43 said:

2 problems with that statement.

1) He's about as much of a running QB as Peyton was.

Jacoby ran a 5.0-second 40-yard dash at the combine.

There are offensive linemen that run sub-5.0 40s.

2) This is Jacoby's first full season playing, so he's much closer to being a rookie than a veteran.

rook·ie
ˈro͝okē/
noun
informal
  1. a new recruit, especially in the army or police.
    "a rookie cop"
    • a member of an athletic team in his or her first full season in that sport

30 minutes ago, indyblue said:
rook·ie
ˈro͝okē/
noun
informal
  1. a new recruit, especially in the army or police.
    "a rookie cop"
    • a member of an athletic team in his or her first full season in that sport

Context- words that surround other words and impact their meaning or the settings in which something occurs.

Synonyms- circumstances, conditions, factors, state of affairs, situation, background, scene setting and frame of reference.

With that in mind that is what was meant when Brissett was called a rookie when coming to the Colts.

To argue over something as childish as this is silly.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:45 PM, chad72 said:

Brissett is getting better every game, against tough conditions. I would say he would have an entire season of showcasing what he can become and right now, he has far exceeded my expectations of being able to at least give us a "chance" to win most games. You couldn't say that about the Browns QB or the 49ers QB or freaking Brian Hoyer who couldn't win with SF, or with even Eli. Plus, all of those had attended full training camps with their team, for crying out loud, before they stunk.

Brissett, along with the others, probably because of a lot of youth infused into this team by design, has to learn to finish and that is to be expected with a team that suddenly got younger, IMO, people tend to ignore that. However, there is a difference between a vet QB Philip Rivers led team not being able to finish games vs a young QB like Brissett not being able to finish games. That is why, when you do an objective comparison, beyond the QB passer rating and stats, he might be the best back up QB in the league when Luck comes back, IMO with a season of weathering under his belt.

This is so well said....and in addition to all this, he was thrown in behind an O-line that was is complete disarray and  have only recently begun to not completely suck.....