Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Houstons owner racist comments??

Trace Pyott

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 99% of people gets what that means, you would figure a Vet with a degree would get that haha. I would go to a different Vet if he didn't get that sarcasm.

The other thing that is forgotten about is that the statement that was said is very regional and currently outdated to the current core of players

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Do you understand the perceived link between police brutality and race relations? 

And have you read the lyrics to the entire Star Spangled Banner?

Protesting every law enforcement agency on national tv doesn't help the problem.   

And yes,  which lyrics have to do with local law enforcement?

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

Absolutely. I think he would have been on the Ravens if not for her and maybe even Seattle or the Ravens if not for his rumored money demands too.

I think there is more to the Kaep situation then just him being blackballed or something due to his political stances. 

Yes, and it's too bad because it changes the narrative. Kap doesn't have a job, not because he's not good enough to be on an NFL roster, but because he's not good enough to overcome the 'distraction' his presence would cause. If Aaron Rodgers kneeled during the national anthem, he would cause a stir for sure, and would be the subject of a lot of ire, but in his case, the good outweighs the bad.

So we can all pretend that Kap isn't employed for strictly football reasons, even though we know it's about more than just football.

Everyone gets offended. They don't realize it until something happens that offends them. A few years ago Jimmy Miller made a comment during a golf tournament. It was about an Italian golfer. Here was the response:

Quote:

ITALIAN AMERICAN ANTI-DEFAMATION GROUP DEMANDS SUSPENSION OF NBC SPORTSCASTER JOHNNY MILLER

Washington, D.C., June 19, 2008 ­ The Commission for Social Justice® (CSJ), the anti-defamation arm of the Order Sons of Italy in America®, the nation's biggest Italian American organization, is demanding an on-air apology and the suspension of NBC's lead golf analyst Johnny Miller after discriminatory statements about Rocco Mediate he broadcast during the U.S. Open on Sunday, June 15.

Referring to Mediate, who was a finalist in the competition, Miller said, "Mediate looks like the guy who cleans Tiger's swimming pool," and "Guys with the name of Rocco don't get on the trophy, do they?" They were aired nationally and then spread worldwide via the Internet....

https://www.osia.org/news/2008/062808.php

You can read the rest here. ^^^

Just now, NFLfan said:

Everyone gets offended. They don't realize it until something happens that offends them. A few years ago Jimmy Miller made a comment during a golf tournament. It was about an Italian golfer. Here was the response:

Quote:

ITALIAN AMERICAN ANTI-DEFAMATION GROUP DEMANDS SUSPENSION OF NBC SPORTSCASTER JOHNNY MILLER

Washington, D.C., June 19, 2008 ­ The Commission for Social Justice® (CSJ), the anti-defamation arm of the Order Sons of Italy in America®, the nation's biggest Italian American organization, is demanding an on-air apology and the suspension of NBC's lead golf analyst Johnny Miller after discriminatory statements about Rocco Mediate he broadcast during the U.S. Open on Sunday, June 15.

Referring to Mediate, who was a finalist in the competition, Miller said, "Mediate looks like the guy who cleans Tiger's swimming pool," and "Guys with the name of Rocco don't get on the trophy, do they?" They were aired nationally and then spread worldwide via the Internet....

Nice find

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...kneeling or protesting the country during the national anthem is that for me. I understand it's their right but it hurts my heart. It's a moment of reverence and honoring those that have died and sacrificed for me to enjoy this great yet imperfect country. One that even our poor have food and can find shelter..all have the right to vote..free to assemble and worship and a country that values it's differences and gives the same opportunities to its minorities and the least alike. I liken the anthem to the same reverence level as say someone's funeral and could never think of showing such dishonor as to protest or make a scene during that act. I do fully understand that most don't see it that same way or extent but is truly how I feel. 

I understand your feelings. People have always had strong opinions here with frequent critiques of performers who did it wrong. I know it's emotional for many many people.

I'm offended by our failures to live up to what so many have fought and died for and what the anthem actually stands for, unity. More than that, I'm offended by people who turn a blind eye and dismiss anyone who call attention to work we need to do.

Honestly, I think the world is changing rapidly and its becoming harder and harder for a lot of people.  I'm concerned that we're not paying attention while this happens and that we're wasting time.

Instead, we're calling other names while the clock ticks

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes, and it's too bad because it changes the narrative. Kap doesn't have a job, not because he's not good enough to be on an NFL roster, but because he's not good enough to overcome the 'distraction' his presence would cause. If Aaron Rodgers kneeled during the national anthem, he would cause a stir for sure, and would be the subject of a lot of ire, but in his case, the good outweighs the bad.

So we can all pretend that Kap isn't employed for strictly football reasons, even though we know it's about more than just football.

I think we all know that.    His talent is rosterable,  his talent doesn't over come the circus that comes with it

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Quote:

"Everyone gets offended" = very true, that is why as a white male I generally keep my mouth shut when it comes to anything political lmao 

A lot of good conversations  and I think it has been very productive to get our feelings and opinions out. Thank you all for sharing and thank you mods for letting us get some things off our chest. I feel like I always learn something from these discussions and this was no exception and thank you to do many for having a respectful conversation even when sometimes we dissgee. A big reason I like this forum so much and many on here.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Protesting every law enforcement agency on national tv doesn't help the problem.   

And yes,  which lyrics have to do with local law enforcement?

It doesn't fix the problem. It was meant to bring awareness to the problem. Since then, the narrative has been hijacked.

And no, none of the lyrics are related to local law enforcement. They are related to race relations, particularly the systemic oppression of black people, which for many is represented by local law enforcement. 

I'm not looking to demonize police or claim that the national anthem perpetuates racial discrimination. I'm saying there is a link between the two. And Kaepernick's explanation of why he didn't want to participate in the national anthem was well reasoned and well articulated, but no one discusses that. Instead, he -- and anyone else who has taken a knee -- is portrayed as being anti-police, anti-military, anti-American.

I'm also not defending everything Kaepernick has said and done. I'm only stressing the link between police brutality, race relations, and the national anthem, because to me, it's not hard to see why Kaepernick decided not to stand.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

It doesn't fix the problem. It was meant to bring awareness to the problem. Since then, the narrative has been hijacked.

And no, none of the lyrics are related to local law enforcement. They are related to race relations, particularly the systemic oppression of black people, which for many is represented by local law enforcement. 

I'm not looking to demonize police or claim that the national anthem perpetuates racial discrimination. I'm saying there is a link between the two. And Kaepernick's explanation of why he didn't want to participate in the national anthem was well reasoned and well articulated, but no one discusses that. Instead, he -- and anyone else who has taken a knee -- is portrayed as being anti-police, anti-military, anti-American.

I'm also not defending everything Kaepernick has said and done. I'm only stressing the link between police brutality, race relations, and the national anthem, because to me, it's not hard to see why Kaepernick decided not to stand.

Staging marches in front of police stations that have been accused of racial profiling or police brutality by these celebrities would have been far more effective.   

20 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Nice find

I watch golf when I need to relax. So, I heard when Jimmy Miller said it. I did not think much of them and was surprised by this group's reaction. But I am not faulting them for getting offended. There must be a reason.

I have a lot of Jewish friends. About 15-20 years ago, Charlie Ward, a devout Christian who played QB for FSU and point guard for the Knicks made a comment that many people have made. What he said I learned in church and in parochial school. So I did not see anything wrong with what Ward said. Many Jewish people were offended. I listened to them with an open mind and I tried to appreciate what upset them.

Folks need to be more open to understanding/appreciating where others are coming from.

55 minutes ago, Nadine said:

It is

Claiming to be offended only works now when a liberal judge makes a ruling or a wimpy CEO is running a company. Most people no longer fall for it. 

Here is a recent pole conducted by an objective firm.  It appears peddling 1960s dogma for 50 years has worn off, since, today, even blacks think blacks are more racist than whites. 

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/july_2013/more_americans_view_blacks_as_racist_than_whites_hispanics

In case you missed the sentence...Among black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist, while 24% consider most whites racist and 15% view most Hispanics that way.

Its not very smart for black football players to make conclusions about inequality, white people, white cops, or powerful white people.  Its rooted in tired, worn out dogma.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think we all know that.    His talent is rosterable,  his talent doesn't over come the circus that comes with it

So was Tim Tebows...but just making a roster is not necessarily worth having you on the roster. I agree there is way more surrounding him than just playing including his priority of playing and helping a team of furthering his cause however positive it might be.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Staging marches in front of police stations that have been accused of racial profiling or police brutality by these celebrities would have been far more effective.   

or go on TV like Fox or CNN News. Kneeling for a flag that represents our country is the wrong stage to protest, JMO. It's making the NFL look bad actually. My step-dad quit watching Football and he loves Football.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Everyone gets offended" = very true, that is why as a white male I generally keep my mouth shut when it comes to anything political lmao 

You should not keep your mouth shut. If something upsets you, say it. That is how people understand each other. Really. 

I love this thread. People have been mostly civil.

Just now, NFLfan said:

I watch golf when I need to relax. So, I heard when Jimmy Miller said it. I did not think much of them and was surprised by this group's reaction. But I am not faulting them for getting offended. There must be a reason.

I have a lot of Jewish friends. About 15-20 years ago, Charlie Ward, a devout Christian who played QB for FSU and point guard for the Knicks made a comment that many people have made. What he said I learned in church and in parochial school. So I did not see anything wrong with what Ward said. Many Jewish people were offended. I listened to them with an open mind and I tried to appreciate whay upset them.

Folks need to be more open to understanding/appreciating where others are coming from.

We need to stop trying to force our beliefs and/or our experiences onto others

Just now, NFLfan said:

You should not keep your mouth shut. If something upsets you, say it. That is how people understand each other. Really. 

I love this thread. People have been mostly civil.

I am enjoying this Thread as well. It is very civil IMO, I already said my peace earlier actually that I was against the Kneeling but players have a right to do so. I just think they are using the wrong stage to protest.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's the thing, though. I don't think Kap's intention in sitting for the national anthem was to start a movement, or to effect change. He had other things he was doing that no one ever talks about, but that wasn't why he chose not to participate.

He declined participating in the national anthem because he didn't support a patriotic ceremony that he felt was rooted in oppression/suppression of black people. It wasn't necessarily protest; it was expression.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So was Tim Tebows...but just making a roster is not necessarily worth having you on the roster. I agree there is way more surrounding him than just playing including his priority of playing and helping a team of furthering his cause however positive it might be.

I think Kap was far better and far more effective on the field than Tebow ever was.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

or go on TV like Fox or CNN News. Kneeling for a flag that represents our country is the wrong stage to protest, JMO. It's making the NFL look bad actually. My step-dad quit watching Football and he loves Football.

I was talking to a friend the other day. He had just returned from a 2-month trip in Thailand. I told him I was going to a football game with another friend on Nov. 19th. He told me that he no longer supports the NFL. I asked why. Guess what was his answer???

He said the NFL is discriminating against Kaepernick. I explained that Kaepernick is just not good enough to deal with the distractions he would bring. 

Just now, Superman said:

I'm sorry, which of us brought up Larry Elder?

Clearly you have something against this guy, I don't even know who he is.  I posted that video because he succinctly refutes your stance on police brutality and racism that you have brought up several times.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's the thing, though. I don't think Kap's intention in sitting for the national anthem was to start a movement, or to effect change. He had other things he was doing that no one ever talks about, but that wasn't why he chose not to participate.

He declined participating in the national anthem because he didn't support a patriotic ceremony that he felt was rooted in oppression/suppression of black people. It wasn't necessarily protest; it was expression.

Yep

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yep...and honestly I'm ok with that if an owner doesn't want to sign a guy that is surrounded in controversy and maybe doesn't represent what they want in the organization or if they question the guys commitment to the team or his cause...we've seen it before with players...talent trumps all else...his talent isn't enough to over come all that comes with him...He wasn't the first to find this out or won't be the last. I think anyone that just says he stinks or isn't good enough aren't being serious or well it shows their ignorance about the gsme...but I don't hear too many make that arguemennt.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am enjoying this Thread as well. It is very civil IMO, I already said my peace earlier actually that I was against the Kneeling but players have a right to do so. I just think they are using the wrong stage to protest.

I agree with this. I did not see your earlier comments. I read page 1 then went to page 4. I have to read them later.