Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trace Pyott

Houstons owner racist comments??

Recommended Posts

 I was watching Shannon sharp spew his usual garbage including criticizing Tony Dungy because Tony defended houstons owner. My question is, what exactly did he say that we so bad?  I hope they aren't all outraged because he said  "we can't let the inmates run the asylum". That is a very common saying and has nothing to do with racism. Now if he had said , the slaves are running the plantation then I would say they have a point because it's not a common saying. This is once again people being outraged over absolutely nothing and all this fake out rage does is make resentment and cause the racism problems to get worse.   Shannon also said the owner shouldn't appologixe but give money or write a letter so they pass legislatuon. What legislation is he wanting lol?  How exactly do they fix police brutality on African Americans?  It's ok to draw your gun on a white citizen but not a black one? It's totslly absurd. Anyways; I just wanted to see if he said something else because I'm not understanding how Shannon sharpe and everyone else is so outraged over him just saying that one comment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ok so he said we cannot let inmates run the asylum like  I said?  Big freaking deal. Like I said, it's a common used term that I used when teaching boxing to kids and they were all acting up. Was I being racist?  Of course not. It's getting out of hand and silly how you cannot say anything in this country anymore because people will take it and use it totally out of context. I'm not a fan of Houston at all but I think the owner didn't mean anything racist in his comments. There is much much much worse things he could of said and people like sharp complaining and making such a big deal about this are slapping in the face the brave black people and Ieaders who were called unimaginable things during jim Crowe and before and during the civic rights movement. Like I said, all this social justice trash is making the problem worse not better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Over an open mic he called the players inmates   

 It wasn’t a racist statement but unnecessary 

He claims he was referring the league front office, not the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BOTT said:

He claims he was referring the league front office, not the players.

That is why I have said many times to think before you speak 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree that an NFL owner, of all people, should be cognizant of what comes out of his mouth. Re-inforcing the positives instead of focusing on the negatives is an art even the President doesn't seem to master nowadays. However, that topic aside, I do have my own rant. 

 

Freedom of speech stops when it encounters the freedom to bear arms; freedom of speech stops when it encounters political correctness. Land of the uber sensitive, that is America right now. The medium is more significant than the message nowadays, and people who got tired of it voted for Trump, I don't see any other way he could have won.

 

I can't even bring up what a fellow classmate of my daughter said or did to her to their parents without sugar coating it and downplaying it because everyone is too d**n sensitive to even listen to a different point of view or explore the truth behind a statement they do not agree with. Level headed seems to be a thing of the past, and thin skin is what prevails currently in society, and I despise that.

 

I, like many folks, am frustrated about it, but know I cannot do a thing about it since it seems like a systemic one trying to be infused into kids constantly. I am open minded, as long as you agree with me, haha!!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

That is why I have said many times to think before you speak 

 

 

It's a commonly used phrase and people are playing stupid so they can fake outrage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He claims he was referring the league front office, not the players.

 

Not sure what he intended but it came right after DS of Washington made a comment that 96% of the fans want everyone to stand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's a commonly used phrase and people are playing stupid so they can fake outrage.

It is not that   

 There are certain things you do not say around certain groups 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is not that   

 There are certain things you do not say around certain groups 

Yes, and that isn't one of them.  His problem is he's old as dirt and used "prison" instead of "asylum".  But let's not look at the character and life of the man, let's burn him at the stake and declare him a racist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Wow, can't believe people are actually trying to defend him. It is a racist statement.

I have heard members of the media use the same phrase about the same topic and nobody was outraged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

 I was watching Shannon sharp spew his usual garbage including criticizing Tony Dungy because Tony defended houstons owner. My question is, what exactly did he say that we so bad?  I hope they aren't all outraged because he said  "we can't let the inmates run the asylum". That is a very common saying and has nothing to do with racism. Now if he had said , the slaves are running the plantation then I would say they have a point because it's not a common saying. This is once again people being outraged over absolutely nothing and all this fake out rage does is make resentment and cause the racism problems to get worse.   Shannon also said the owner shouldn't appologixe but give money or write a letter so they pass legislatuon. What legislation is he wanting lol?  How exactly do they fix police brutality on African Americans?  It's ok to draw your gun on a white citizen but not a black one? It's totslly absurd. Anyways; I just wanted to see if he said something else because I'm not understanding how Shannon sharpe and everyone else is so outraged over him just saying that one comment. 

Your line of thinking is wrong. McNair referred to the players(and the protesters) as inmates, which reveals how he views the players. He only views them as prisoners, and not as people. If, say, his kids, were wreaking havoc, he wouldn't use that phrase at all. I bet if the protesters were white, he wouldn't use that phrase either. 

 

Your second point is wrong as well. Pointing a gun at anyone is bad, but don't equate pointing a gun at a white person with pointing a gun on a black person. Two completely different issues, and police brutality is a worse issue. One side doesn't have a terrible history of being abused and treated terribly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the players are "inmates" the NFL is the "prison".. I'm sure an NFL owner was not calling HIS league a prison.. but oh well. More "victims" yay! The Texans should boycott for the rest of ever. I'll try out and get paid to play football. Anybody else up for a trip to Houston? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

If the players are "inmates" the NFL is the "prison".. I'm sure an NFL owner was not calling HIS league a prison.. but oh well. More "victims" yay! The Texans should boycott for the rest of ever. I'll try out and get paid to play football. Anybody else up for a trip to Houston? 

 

If that means DeShaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins won't play in protest, I will take it. :) 

 

Some fantasy teams may not be able to take it but I can because I don't own either of them, LOL :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the best move I might have made in fantasy is to get the owner of my company pick up DeShaun Watson and Will Fuller for his FF team when he already had DeAndre Hopkins saying "what the heck, he did well vs the Patriots, now he is playing the Titans", it was before Week 4 and the owner had an 0-3 streak going in. He was telling me all the proceeds of the winnings of the league go to charity and I am mighty glad I was able to help. :) 

 

Those Week 3 Patriots' D however is LONG GONE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Your line of thinking is wrong. McNair referred to the players(and the protesters) as inmates, which reveals how he views the players. He only views them as prisoners, and not as people. If, say, his kids, were wreaking havoc, he wouldn't use that phrase at all. I bet if the protesters were white, he wouldn't use that phrase either. 

 

Your second point is wrong as well. Pointing a gun at anyone is bad, but don't equate pointing a gun at a white person with pointing a gun on a black person. Two completely different issues, and police brutality is a worse issue. One side doesn't have a terrible history of being abused and treated terribly.

People have used that phrase forever.  And yes, in reference to white people.

 

but hey, if wanna make a "bet" about a man you have never met and brand him a racist, that's your prerogative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

 

Not sure what he intended but it came right after DS of Washington made a comment that 96% of the fans want everyone to stand

Yeah that's pretty crazy figure....that said I'm sure 96% of the mail he gets on the subject does say they want the players to stand or stating outrage. What would the other 4% be saying? Sit Cousins and sign Kaepernick though? This is a big issue for owners. It is definitely effecting their bottom line and hurting the game. What they need to do is compromise with the players. Give them some forum...match their personal charity giving dollar for dollar...promote the players charities during the games...buy commercial time whatever but say I need this in exchange for standing up and honoring the flag. We are both losing...lets find a way to succeed together. The rhetoric that was coming out is NOT going to serve them. I am sure there are some insensitive owners and some good owners and all in between but they all want the same...a stronger organization and community in which they operate. To me it wasn't so much racially insensitive as devaluing his employees. While there may be in truth in how an organization needs to operate taking orders from the top down it was a horrible way to articulate his message and showed just how he values his employees....especially insensitive when we just saw how a couple of his employees have positively brought attention to the Houston community and even to his staff with their actions. Very very poor choice...but when you get as powerful as these owners you lose touch with your employees and when you are surrounded by people bowing down to your orders all day when some employees have some push back they don't know how to handle it positively. Just glad it wasn't Irsay saying this because that would have just been the icing on the turd sandwich this season has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait for the next excuse an athlete gives to do what they want. They protested for that? It's getting comical. Just retire if you think your boss/owner is treating you wrong. That's what we do out here in the civilian world right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

If the players are "inmates" the NFL is the "prison".. I'm sure an NFL owner was not calling HIS league a prison.. but oh well. More "victims" yay! The Texans should boycott for the rest of ever. I'll try out and get paid to play football. Anybody else up for a trip to Houston? 

I will go for the barbecue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I can't wait for the next excuse an athlete gives to do what they want. They protested for that? It's getting comical. Just retire if you think your boss/owner is treating you wrong. That's what we do out here in the civilian world right?

 

I don't have a problem if they want to protest their boss...just don't do it during the national anthem but if they want to all lay down after the kickoff and give up a td next week on the return to protest him and spot us 7 pts I'm good with that lol!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't have a problem if they want to protest their boss...just don't do it during the national anthem but if they want to all lay down after the kickoff and give up a td next week on the return to protest him and spot us 7 pts I'm good with that lol!!

That's what I'm saying.. the ultimate way to protest your boss is just quit. Retire. He did you wrong, just leave. Someone else will gladly take your spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

As BOTT pointed out, the usual adage ("inmates running the asylum") was misused, replacing "prison" for "asylum." Considering the message the message behind the protests, it was an extremely unwise choice of language on his part. I don't know the man, I'm not going to say he's a racist, but his comment was inappropriate and has done more harm than good. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Houston players can protest by not showing up for the game next week. I could go for that. 

 

I don't consider his comments racist, but considering the atmosphere today, it was a bad choice of words. I can see how some would take offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Wow, can't believe people are actually trying to defend him. It is a racist statement.

I am not understanding how any of this is racist? Maybe I'm naïve, but.. are all inmates black now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 It is not a racist statement. It is a common phrases, it is usually the inmates running the asylum, the hens ruling the roost is another way of putting it, but it is certainly not racist. He was not calling the players inmates, it is not to be taken literally.  It’s just an expression to say that the players should not be running the league, the owners and front offices should be running the league. Do we have to put these common phrases on the banned list of things that offend people now? Pretty soon we’re going to run out of things we can say without offending someone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

 McNair referred to the players(and the protesters) as inmates, which reveals how he views the players.

 

No he didn’t and no it doesn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

That's what I'm saying.. the ultimate way to protest your boss is just quit. Retire. He did you wrong, just leave. Someone else will gladly take your spot

You shouldn't have to give up your livelihood just to voice your displeasure with your work environment. Most companies have annual surveys and hr departments to voice work place issues etc...and I'm sure unionized offices have even more forums to voice their work place concerns. Nothing wrong with that....obviously I don't think you should protest during a national anthem really for anything..I think there is a more productive and positive way to voice yourself but if they wanted to all come to the stadium wearing chain gain attire or something as to voice their displeasure of the owners comments I think that would make just as big and more direct point then anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

 I was watching Shannon sharp spew his usual garbage including criticizing Tony Dungy because Tony defended houstons owner. My question is, what exactly did he say that we so bad?  I hope they aren't all outraged because he said  "we can't let the inmates run the asylum". That is a very common saying and has nothing to do with racism. Now if he had said , the slaves are running the plantation then I would say they have a point because it's not a common saying. This is once again people being outraged over absolutely nothing and all this fake out rage does is make resentment and cause the racism problems to get worse.   Shannon also said the owner shouldn't appologixe but give money or write a letter so they pass legislatuon. What legislation is he wanting lol?  How exactly do they fix police brutality on African Americans?  It's ok to draw your gun on a white citizen but not a black one? It's totslly absurd. Anyways; I just wanted to see if he said something else because I'm not understanding how Shannon sharpe and everyone else is so outraged over him just saying that one comment. 

 

I don't know if it's racist but, it certainly lowers the level of discourse as does going on to take this as an example of how this is fake outrage.

 

Sure, I think the press runs with it but, bottom line, he shouldn't have said it and the repercussions are deserved. 

 

it makes me think of the personal shots that people post on here and then defend themselves as having only said what is true and people should stop being so sensitive. These days, some people say the rudest things and then wrap themselves in self righteousness because they are 'telling it like it is'

 

We all need to get along.  Everyone needs to make an effort. Making ignorant, disrespectful, dismissive comments about someone else's beliefs is part of the problem, NOT the solution.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's talking about "Inmates running the asylum", is he being racist toward the white or black players? Last time I checked, both races played on the Texans, and you can't call racism here if both races are playing on the team. The players here are so racist themselves that are protesting, that they don't even realize this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

the hens ruling the roost is another way of putting it,

 

I take offense when someone uses this expression. Just because it's common does NOT mean its not offensive.

 

Just because it's not offensive to you, does not mean it shouldn't be offensive to someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 It is not a racist statement. It is a common phrases, it is usually the inmates running the asylum, the hens ruling the roost is another way of putting it, but it is certainly not racist. He was not calling the players inmates, it is not to be taken literally.  It’s just an expression to say that the players should not be running the league, the owners and front offices should be running the league. Do we have to put these common phrases on the banned list of things that offend people now? Pretty soon we’re going to run out of things we can say without offending someone. 

I think context means a lot. In a normal everyday setting I don't think that it has any racial or social meaning....however the super charged atmosphere that is the NFL landscape using an analogy of players to prisoners (who are criminals) is not the most sensitive and appropriate of comments. I don't think any owner who really values his employees and their opinions would use such language to describe that situation. It was distasteful at the least and I can see where some players might be offended...especially those that just raised over 20 million dollars for your community while promoting your team and another that gave up game checks to low level employees that work in your organization who are going through a tough time during a disaster....it was not well thought out statement...and very disrespectful imo...and goes possibly to the heart of how Mr. Mcnair views his players/employees. I would feel very cheapened if I worked for a boss that felt that way about me. Again like I said about Cam and many others....do I think he is a racist because he made those comments...I don't know and I won't accuse someone of such a strong hateful accusation...but he said something very crude...and came off as an *.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He didn't say inmates running the asylum, which is a common phrase.

 

He said inmates running the prison. A subtle difference, but an important and sensitive one given the current climate and what the players are protesting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nadine said:

 

I take offense when someone uses this expression. Just because it's common does NOT mean its not offensive.

 

Just because it's not offensive to you, does not mean it shouldn't be offensive to someone else.

 

I agree, that just because it’s common doesn’t make it offensive to some people.  My solution is if someone says that don’t like a particular phrase, I apologize and I don’t use it with them.  For instance, their are some Nurse Practioners that are offended by the term mid-level practioner.  I personally don’t think it’s offensive, but if they do fine, I just won’t use it around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think context means a lot. In a normal everyday setting I don't think that it has any racial or social meaning....however the super charged atmosphere that is the NFL landscape using an analogy of players to prisoners (who are criminals) is not the most sensitive and appropriate of comments. I don't think any owner who really values his employees and their opinions would use such language to describe that situation. It was distasteful at the least and I can see where some players might be offended...especially those that just raised over 20 million dollars for your community while promoting your team and another that gave up game checks to low level employees that work in your organization who are going through a tough time during a disaster....it was not well thought out statement...and very disrespectful imo...and goes possibly to the heart of how Mr. Mcnair views his players/employees. I would feel very cheapened if I worked for a boss that felt that way about me. Again like I said about Cam and many others....do I think he is a racist because he made those comments...I don't know and I won't accuse someone of such a strong hateful accusation...but he said something very crude...and came off as an *.

 

Pretty much disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

I agree, that just because it’s common doesn’t make it offensive to some people.  My solution is if someone says that don’t like a particular phrase, I apologize and I don’t use it with them.  For instance, their are some Nurse Practioners that are offended by the term mid-level practioner.  I personally don’t think it’s offensive, but if they do fine, I just won’t use it around them.

Agree. All that's needed here is an apology for choice of words.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nadine said:

 

I take offense when someone uses this expression. Just because it's common does NOT mean its not offensive.

 

Just because it's not offensive to you, does not mean it shouldn't be offensive to someone else.

Yep...Mr. Mcnair might tread carefully...we saw an NBA owner get his team ripped away for his racial comments etc...his employees can have a lot of power if he was to continue to make such reckless, negative comments again. I'm pretty sure at this point the NFL really would just do itself a big favor if everyone would quit putting their foot in their mouth right now and get back to focusing on improving the quality on the field or they will all be effected sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Swan Ronson said:

He didn't say inmates running the asylum, which is a common phrase.

 

He said inmates running the prison. A subtle difference, but an important and sensitive one given the current climate and what the players are protesting.

 

 

I hadn't thought of that.  That's true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nadine said:

Agree. All that's needed here is an apology for choice of words.

 

 

Unless you don't want to undermine yourself with that group of people moving forward. Sometimes an apology after the fact doesn't make everything just instantly go away. People remember and possibly it might take more than an apology to fix the situation depending on how big you step in it. Do you really want to the reprocussions of such a thing for being lazy/casual with your speech. If you know there is a chance to offend others you then have to weight the consequences of what your going to say if its worth it...sometimes you might still go ahead and say it if its a core principal thing or if the benefits outweigh the negatives...other times stopping and thinking before blabbing might just save you a lot of headache and also go a long way with improving relations with someone. If you know something might offend and you say it anways....it better be worth it..you may never get the support of those people again...however knowing something might offend and you purposely go the other direction to show how much you respect them to avoid it...might earn you a lot of respect...especially in the work place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...