Houstons owner racist comments??

Trace Pyott

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, NFLfan said:

Are you offended by the players kneeling? That is another example of being offended. No?

I'm not offened by it.   I don't understand it.    It doesn't make sense to kneel during the anthem over perceived police brutality.    Seems  like matching on the police departments parking  lot would make far more sense

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

not be offended by non offensive things 

Whether you call it being offended or being disrespected, the problem is not seeing the opposite view point at all.

And not being willing to.

If our diplomacy with other countries took this tack, we'd have all war all the time.

For sure this issue over choice of words is not that big of a deal.  It's certainly not offensive to you

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I totally agree with you up until the point you say you get to the point they should not be limited in the freedom of speech rights etc. If that was the case they should have freedom to not have any of their rights limited...they should be able to wear what they want on the sidelines say whatever they want and never apologize do whatever dance they want etc. There is nothing wrong with setting standards and conditions of employment in my opinion. The league discriminates by paying some players are than others and letting some players speak at the podium and not everyone. Fact is many of us have to check religious and political and social issues and beliefs at the door to be employed and I don't see the NFL being any different. Nobody is saying they can't say or believe what they want...but for one day a week they are a special envoy/representative of the organization so they should be expected to represent the values of the organization..standing for the anthem or not bad mouthing their own team whatever that is.

I find most of this to be inaccurate, based on my understanding.

But to bring it back to the point at hand -- conditions of employment -- policies at your place of employment apply equally to all employees in specific positions, otherwise those policies are discriminatory. And in this case, the argument is that if your employer requires that you stand for the national anthem and you decline, your employer can take action against you, and I think that's unconstitutional. Again, your employer cannot mandate an act of patriotism.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Which is also why I couldn't get behind the whole movement...He was doing it while wearing socks with cops as pigs on them...then later running around wearing a Fidel Castro t-shirt at press conference.....He was so rude and lost all credibility with me and anyone taking up his cause I lost respect for too. We can all agree there are many societal issues that need attention and improvement but taking such a hateful groups side like BLM  was a sign to me that I couldnt be supportive of your actions.

I been iffy about Kaep at times since I think he had a dying career and then he went political to revive himself. I have wondered at times how much I personally felt "he cares" truly. I also think his girlfriend played a huge part in this.

With the police brutality issues, I do care but not to the point it becomes a circus.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm not offened by it.   I don't understand it.    It doesn't make sense to kneel during the anthem over perceived police brutality.    Seems  like matching on the police departments parking  lot would make far more sense

Do you understand the perceived link between police brutality and race relations? 

And have you read the lyrics to the entire Star Spangled Banner?

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I agree with that. I am just pointing out that many here claim they never get offended but it is clearly not true. So many here have said they were offended by players kneeling during the singing of the anthem. Now they are saying they are not offended by anything. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Do you understand the perceived link between police brutality and race relations? 

And have you read the lyrics to the entire Star Spangled Banner?

I didn't know the history or all the lyrics until all this came up. That's a whole other :worms:

7 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

No it isn't, unless the employer is the government.  If it was a violation of their rights the NBA could not mandate it.

Lots of things have been mandated by employers that turned out to be unconstitutional. 

I said earlier, I don't think the NBA's rule would hold up under legal challenge. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Lately, yes. I think he would have been signed by the Ravens if not for her mouth/tweets.

Absolutely. I think he would have been on the Ravens if not for her and maybe even Seattle or the Ravens if not for his rumored money demands too.

I think there is more to the Kaep situation then just him being blackballed or something due to his political stances. 

It's not even just black people. The Astros player got in trouble and is suspended for some games next year for mocking Asians.

I sometimes wish they didn't always paint it out as this black vs. white thing since to me it isn't.

1 minute ago, Jules said:

Absolutely. I think he would have been on the Ravens if not for her and maybe even Seattle or the Ravens if not for his rumored money demands too.

I think there is more to the Kaep situation then just him being blackballed or something due to his political stances. 

Death of the mobile QB

Just now, Jules said:

It's not even just black people. The Astros player got in trouble and is suspended for some games next year for mocking Asians.

I sometimes wish they didn't always paint it out as this black vs. white thing since to me it isn't.

Nicely put

Everyone of us who is different is involved 

30 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Has anything ever offended you?

Yep...kneeling or protesting the country during the national anthem is that for me. I understand it's their right but it hurts my heart. It's a moment of reverence and honoring those that have died and sacrificed for me to enjoy this great yet imperfect country. One that even our poor have food and can find shelter..all have the right to vote..free to assemble and worship and a country that values it's differences and gives the same opportunities to its minorities and the least alike. I liken the anthem to the same reverence level as say someone's funeral and could never think of showing such dishonor as to protest or make a scene during that act. I do fully understand that most don't see it that same way or extent but is truly how I feel. 

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

Unfortunately it has been around since 1620 here

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yep...kneeling or protesting the country during the national anthem is that for me. I understand it's their right but it hurts my heart. It's a moment of reverence and honoring those that have died and sacrificed for me to enjoy this great yet imperfect country. One that even our poor have food and can find shelter..all have the right to vote..free to assemble and worship and a country that values it's differences and gives the same opportunities to its minorities and the least alike. I liken the anthem to the same reverence level as say someone's funeral and could never think of showing such dishonor as to protest or make a scene during that act. I do fully understand that most don't see it that same way or extent but is truly how I feel. 

Amen 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Nicely put

Everyone of us who is different is involved 

I think that is what can irk people at times. It's not just this white vs. black thing in everyday life for most people. But somehow it has been painted out at times as all white men are slave masters still in 2017. All white people have to feel guilty for being white and having privilege even if most white people are not rich and don't have issues themselves.

Often times ANY race or anyone different can be targeted which is also being lost in this discussion.

I think what also happened with the Houston owner brought back memories to many of the Clippers owner and it's always going to be like this now with owners and players.

10 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I didn't know the history or all the lyrics until all this came up. That's a whole other :worms:

It sure is (new can of worms). Someone posted the history of the song and information on the work of Francis Scott Key that were eye-opening. 

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

I think that is what can irk people at times. It's not just this white vs. black thing in everyday life for most people. But somehow it has been painted out at times as all white men are slave masters still in 2017. All white people have to feel guilty for being white and having privilege even if most white people are not rich and don't have issues themselves.

Often times ANY race or anyone different can be targeted which is also being lost in this discussion.

I think what also happened with the Houston owner brought back memories to many of the Clippers owner and it's always going to be like this now with owners and players.

I don't feel that

Just now, Jules said:

Very true

even if this wasn’t racist it was uncalled for 

Everyone is scared of the differences of others

58 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. I don't think he is racist but the comment was inappropriate and offensive. I think it was GoPats who wrote that given that the players are trying to raise awareness of police brutality, calling the players "inmates" looks bad and shows that he does not have much empathy for his players. The fact that he changed the word "asylum" to "prison" makes him look even worse. But I don't think he is racist.

I will share a story about being careful when speaking. I once told a veterinarian that "I thought I would kill two birds with one stone." (A very popular expression, no?) Well, he was not pleased. You would have thought that I actually killed two birds. If I had been mindful of my words, I would have known not to say that to a veterinarian. Well, I learned my lesson. I no longer use that expression.

Yeah 99% of people gets what that means, you would figure a Vet with a degree would get that haha. I would go to a different Vet if he didn't get that sarcasm.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 99% of people gets what that means, you would figure a Vet with a degree would get that haha. I would go to a different Vet if he didn't get that sarcasm.

He understood what I meant. He just did not feel I should be so loose with words.