Why Quincy Wilson isn't playing

Valpo2004

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

just an average player we need elite corners wilson could be one

I think Melvin graded out as one o9f the highest corners in the NFL in the first month of the season.

He's playing much better than Wilson is.     That may not last,  but Melvin still has a future...

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think Melvin graded out as one o9f the highest corners in the NFL in the first month of the season.

He's playing much better than Wilson is.     That may not last,  but Melvin still has a future...

2 ints in 4 years is not good but he has played well for us but we need our top picks to get experience, we know what melvin can do we need to see if wilson can be better

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Nah, he flashed enough against Arizona for me to be certain that he's not another D'Joun. What it comes down to is that these coaches are absolute clowns. Our 1st round pick is out for the year, and these Colts won't play our 2nd round pick because he's "not mature enough?" What does that even mean? How mature do you have to be to play football? I saw Aqib Talib snatch Michael Crabtree's necklace in a game last year, and I'm supposed to buy this "Quincy needs to be more mature" crap? No way.

And I don't care about special teams, the best players need to be on the field, period. Davis doesn't play special teams, and he's been getting worked since he came back. Moncrief doesn't play special teams, and he's a shell of his former self. This is looking more and more like Pagano not playing Wilson out of pure spite towards Ballard. As petty as that sounds, none of these other reasons the coaches are spewing to the media make a shred of sense.

I'm sorry.....     I'm one of your biggest admirers here,  but that sentence in bold is such a steaming pile I'm absolutely sutnned you wrote it.     Heck,   I'm completely stunned that you even thought it.      It's so beneath you.

If Chris Ballard thought for one second that Pagano and Monachino were doing this OUT OF SPITE, as you put it,  I think he would've fired both of them weeks ago.      Seriously.      And I don't think the conversation would've been very long.      I think he would've ordered them to play the kid and if they said no,  I think he'd have fired them on the spot.

Period.

I'd have expected that and I would've supported that.

The fact that Ballard is quiet on this while Pagano (who almost never says anytbing bad about a player in his 6 years as HC) and Monachino are both publicly saying the kid needs to grow up tells me Ballard is on board with what they're doing.     Why would he do nothing if he didn't agree?     Why would he let his coaches hurt the player and the team's future if he didn't agree?

Heck, if Ballard fires Pagano/Monachino in January and cites one of the reaons for doing so that they mishandled the Wilson incident,  then I'd be furious with Ballard.     I would want to know why he didn't fire them back in October when this was happening.    

Ballard's silence tells me he's on board.     I don't know how or why you came up with spite....

Biggest shocker of the year to me.      And somewhere in there,   that's a compliment to you.....

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So if I understand you correctly....

You're saying they are all lying.

Pagano is.   Monachino is.    And now (and this is my favorite)  you're saying Ballard is lying about this too.

OK....     but if you're going to make that claim then you better be able answer this....

Why?

Why would they be lying?    Why would they do that?    What's the upside for doing that?    What do they gain?

Because what you're really saying is the fan base here knows better about what is going on and what to do than the coaching staff AND the front office.

I look forward to your answer....

Bottom line it's all business....telling the fans your qb probably won't play this year will hurt ticket sales and as an owner you wouldn't want that and being that this is ballard first time ever as a gm to a team he's just gonna let this play out until next season when he cleans house so whatever chuck does now it won't matter because he won't be here and we're rebuilding this defense.....that's my answer

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Heck, if Ballard fires Pagano/Monachino in January and cites one of the reaons for doing so that they mishandled the Wilson incident,  then I'd be furious with Ballard.     I would want to know why he didn't fire them back in October when this was happening.    

There are a hundred other reasons he'd cite before he got to any so-called 'mishandling' of he Quincy Wilson situation. 

In all, I support Ballard giving Pagano and staff plenty of rope. Grigson was reported to be a meddler (not sure if it was true, or just an exaggerated but oft-repeated rumor), Ballard is allowing the staff the opportunity to do things their way, and the results will be attributable to the coaching staff directly. Nowhere for them to hide, sink or swim.

That said, I don't see any indication that there's any space between Ballard and the coaching staff when it comes to Wilson. The idea that Ballard and Pagano are at odds about how to handle him seems completely unsubstantiated to me.

And remember, Ballard was part of a front office that drafted KeiVarae Russell in the third round last year, then cut him one week into the season. This was amid questions about his desire, professionalism, willingness to play special teams (sound familiar?), etc. Young, talented corner drafted on Day 2, promising prospect, who displays a lack of professionalism, had some nagging injuries, got leapfrogged on the depth chart, and eventually wound up in the dog house... Ballard has danced this dance before, just a year ago.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are a hundred other reasons he'd cite before he got to any so-called 'mishandling' of he Quincy Wilson situation. 

In all, I support Ballard giving Pagano and staff plenty of rope. Grigson was reported to be a meddler (not sure if it was true, or just an exaggerated but oft-repeated rumor), Ballard is allowing the staff the opportunity to do things their way, and the results will be attributable to the coaching staff directly. Nowhere for them to hide, sink or swim.

That said, I don't see any indication that there's any space between Ballard and the coaching staff when it comes to Wilson. The idea that Ballard and Pagano are at odds about how to handle him seems completely unsubstantiated to me.

And remember, Ballard was part of a front office that drafted KeiVarae Russell in the third round last year, then cut him one week into the season. This was amid questions about his desire, professionalism, willingness to play special teams (sound familiar?), etc. Young, talented corner drafted on Day 2, promising prospect, who displays a lack of professionalism, had some nagging injuries, got leapfrogged on the depth chart, and eventually wound up in the dog house... Ballard has danced this dance before, just a year ago.

Thank you.     I just wish I knew the magic words that would make posters to see this  for what it is...  

Instead,  we have posters who appear to be digging in their heels and won't budge from their position no matter how nonsensacle it is.

I appreciate emotions are running high and people here are beyond frustrated.   I am too.    But I don't want to check my brains and common sense at the door.

I think we're going to get what we want in January.   I hope people here will hang in there until then.

In Ballard I trust until he gives me reason not to...

26 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So, they should give him the starting spot so he can earn the starting spot?

Who can argue with circular logic like that?

You not listening at all.....he wasn't starting anyway he's behind melvin for some reason but we don't know how wilson is until they let him play

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry.....     I'm one of your biggest admirers here,  but that sentence in bold is such a steaming pile I'm absolutely sutnned you wrote it.     Heck,   I'm completely stunned that you even thought it.      It's so beneath you.

If Chris Ballard thought for one second that Pagano and Monachino were doing this OUT OF SPITE, as you put it,  I think he would've fired both of them weeks ago.      Seriously.      And I don't think the conversation would've been very long.      I think he would've ordered them to play the kid and if they said no,  I think he'd have fired them on the spot.

Period.

I'd have expected that and I would've supported that.

The fact that Ballard is quiet on this while Pagano (who almost never says anytbing bad about a player in his 6 years as HC) and Monachino are both publicly saying the kid needs to grow up tells me Ballard is on board with what they're doing.     Why would he do nothing if he didn't agree?     Why would he let his coaches hurt the player and the team's future if he didn't agree?

Ballard's silence tells me he's on board.     I don't know how or why you came up with spite....

Biggest shocker of the year to me.      And somewhere in there,   that's a compliment to you.....

I was worked up about this yesterday, to say the least.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

???

Even if what the coaches are saying doesn't make sense, you just made up a reason that makes even less sense. Why would Pagano choose to pick on Quincy Wilson to spite Chris Ballard? And when did he make this decision? Is Monachino in on it?

I didn't make it up. JMV brought it up on his show with Holder yesterday, and Gregg Doyel speculated it in his article. So no, this isn't just some unfounded thing that I'm conjuring up out of thin air. I'd love to think that there's a much more logical explanation as to why Chris Milton is playing ahead of Quincy Wilson, but I'm not seeing it.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I didn't make it up. JMV brought it up on his show with Holder yesterday, and Gregg Doyel speculated it in his article. So no, this isn't just some unfounded thing that I'm conjuring up out of thin air. I'd love to think that there's a much more logical explanation as to why Chris Milton is playing ahead of Quincy Wilson, but I'm not seeing it.

gregg doyel is trash, hes not a reputable source at all.  

i do respect JMV, but they speculate a lot on that show too.  on topic, wilson is a backup CB and they are expected to play special teams on this roster.  our lbs, rbs and wrs are not the special teams type so it has to be the corners and safetys  

Just now, aaron11 said:

gregg doyel is trash, hes not a reputable source at all.  

i do respect JMV, but they speculate a lot on that show too.  on topic, wilson is a backup CB and they are expected to play special teams on this roster.  our lbs, rbs and wrs are not the special teams type so it has to be the corners and safetys  

Well that's a terrible logic. You're sitting a very talented CB in favor of a guy who plays special teams? Even though said guy gives up a 52 yard TD in his first snap at CB? Every now and then, common sense needs to prevail, and the best players need to be on the field. It's insane to have our DC say he's very displeased with our overall corner play, but in the same breath, say that one of our better options at the position is inactive because he's too "immature" and doesn't play special teams. 

18 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We are not privy to all that goes on... see Stephen Morris.  There's more to being a good teammate and a professional than just being drafted because of talent.

Ask Princeton Tiger if the players parents or public is made aware of all the things that go on in coaches meetings and the locker room...

But I'll tell you this, and we all know it.  The coaches in the NFL all move around, and most know each other.  They talk to each other.  They call each other. "Problem child" players issues follow them.  Like a not so glowing recommendation letter. 

Yes, we have all seen that elite players get more slack than backups.  True.  However, rookies, even those that have flashed potential talent, that haven't already displayed consistent elite skills do not get such a long leash.  And they have to earn their spot in the pecking order.

The unspoken rule is, don't get rid of a player until you can replace him with similar level of player.  That's hard with an established elite NFL starter/player.  Much easier with a rookie 2nd rounder... just target  draft his replacement next year if necessary.

Here is an interesting chart, and how coaches have to use their 46 men to cover the 3rd phase-  (click to enlarge)

Special-Teamers-by-Offense-Defense-Role.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Well that's a terrible logic. You're sitting a very talented CB in favor of a guy who plays special teams? Even though said guy gives up a 52 yard TD in his first snap at CB? Every now and then, common sense needs to prevail, and the best players need to be on the field. It's insane to have our DC say he's very displeased with our overall corner play, but in the same breath, say that one of our better options at the position is inactive because he's too "immature" and doesn't play special teams. 

im not really sold on wilson myself

he was getting beat in preseason,  the staff doesn't seem to like his attitude, and he doesn't get special teams which he needs to do as a backup corner

i wont mention chuck, but ballard himself is not exactly ringing endorsements for wilson either 

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Okay, you didn't make it up, Doyel, Holder and JMV did. I still don't see how it holds water. Why would they choose to single out Wilson, of all people, to stick it to Ballard?

At this point, I think it's obvious they're choosing to play hard ball with Wilson. Whether that's good or bad, they have stated multiple reasons for it, and legit or not, Wilson is in the doghouse. I doubt it has anything to do with any supposed rift between Ballard and the coaching staff.

Just my 2-cents. It's obvious that Wilson is in the doghouse but my concerns are twofold. First of all, I believe the clubhouse is in huge turmoil. TY's shot at the oline is a prime example. Here's a cocky rookie who looks up to or should look up to some of the vets on the team for guidance . Why is Vontae not pulling this kid aside and explaining the facts of the NFL. I think a lot of the players have already checked out.

Why can't his position coach set him down and get him to listen or the DC or the HC. I think the coaches have totally lost control of this team. Watching the debacle last Sunday was sickening. Seemed as many were going thru the motions but seem to not give a crap.

Either this coaching staff has already checked out or they are terribly inept. I believe it is the latter. I am one who supported Chuck for a long time but it is time to part ways and I don't know if they can wait for January for fear of losing this entire team.

The team stinks this year anyway and has nothing to lose.  Trade Vontae at the deadline for a draft pick and elevate Wilson to the active roster.  Start him at his natural position and see how it goes.  Develop the young guys this season so they can bring it 100% next year when there is a new coaching staff in place and Luck back at QB.

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

How do we know he's not?

OK. Got me there. Never said I knew for certain. Said it's my 2 cents worth. Just my opinion and thought this was a place I could voice an opinion without knowing all the facts. If Knowing all the fact was a prerequisite to posting on here there wouldn't be many posts.

For some reason I highly doubt Wilson is being "immature" under pagano he's never put the more talented players on the field...Mack is one example..Hilton is another example..even when showing ability to be playmakers somehow it turns into "maybe we should've used this person more" instead of just having the common sense to USE them..you can't tell me Morrison/Bostic are our better coverage linebackers or why they both seem to be on the field on 3rd and long when neither can cover George displayed talent in coverage better than all linebackers and he gets no reps after that performance..Mack wins us a game next game he gets Two carries..and pagano says he's not ready to be this or that so I can see why Wilson is being "claimed" to being immature  or not good enough in practice based off the fact that if you do good in games you still get your reps taken away regardless

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

You not listening at all.....he wasn't starting anyway he's behind melvin for some reason but we don't know how wilson is until they let him play

I understand what you are saying... but what you are saying is not based on reality.  They don't care if "WE" know what he can do, THEY know what he can do and THEY base that on what a player does in practice and in the film room and on the game plan tests and in the weight room and in the positional meetings and by the questions he asks or doesn't ask and by his understanding of the play book, etc.

You say you want the coaches to let him earn his starting job but that is not want you want you want the coaches to forget all the other stuff and give him playing time because he's a second rounder.  That is not earning it, a player earns playing time by focusing on the above.

41 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

OK. Got me there. Never said I knew for certain. Said it's my 2 cents worth. Just my opinion and thought this was a place I could voice an opinion without knowing all the facts. If Knowing all the fact was a prerequisite to posting on here there wouldn't be many posts.

You can state opinion all you want, we all do. But it seems like an assumption was made that no one is doing anything behind the scenes to help Wilson, and I don't think that's a safe assumption to make.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

You can state opinion all you want, we all do. But it seems like an assumption was made that no one is doing anything behind the scenes to help Wilson, and I don't think that's a safe assumption to make.

Did not make that assumption or not intended. What I am saying that with a divided locker room (Assumption) who does he listen to and what are some vets telling him? Again an assumption but Vontae doesn't appear to be over exerting himself out there which was one  thing that brought me to believe that Chuck has lost the team.

I did ask why no one seems to get him to listen, not that no one was trying.

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I understand what you are saying... but what you are saying is not based on reality.  They don't care if "WE" know what he can do, THEY know what he can do and THEY base that on what a player does in practice and in the film room and on the game plan tests and in the weight room and in the positional meetings and by the questions he asks or doesn't ask and by his understanding of the play book, etc.

You say you want the coaches to let him earn his starting job but that is not want you want you want the coaches to forget all the other stuff and give him playing time because he's a second rounder.  That is not earning it, a player earns playing time by focusing on the above.

Ok well answer this do you think they would've treated luck the same way if he had "maturity issues his rookie season???" I don't think so something just isn't right about this situation but oh well all of that will be thrown out the window this sunday because melvin is ruled out and someone has to take his place and I'm pretty sure it's wilson

55 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Did not make that assumption or not intended. What I am saying that with a divided locker room (Assumption) who does he listen to and what are some vets telling him? Again an assumption but Vontae doesn't appear to be over exerting himself out there which was one  thing that brought me to believe that Chuck has lost the team.

I did ask why no one seems to get him to listen, not that no one was trying.

I can't figure out what's going on in the secondary, personally. It doesn't look like a lack of effort, to me; it looks like blown assignments and bad gameplanning. Receivers are w-i-d-e-o-p-e-n in critical situations, which is why they've given up so many big plays. I think the team kind of gave up on Sunday, but in general, I don't think they've quit or that Pagano has lost the team. I think the players still like and respect Pagano, as evidenced by D'Qwell's recent comments.

As for Wilson, I think I understand what's going on. Not that I'm endorsing how they're handling it, but we don't know all the behind the scenes stuff. Some young players are irresponsible and unprofessional, Wilson wouldn't be the first. He could be showing up late to meetings, sleeping in the back of the room, displaying a complete lack of awareness during film sessions, dogging it in practice, etc. Any number of things that none of us would be privy to, and if it's any of those things, that's completely on him, not anyone else. It's not the staff's fault if he's irresponsible, and it's not his teammates' fault if he's unprofessional.

I don't know that he's definitely having those kinds of issues, but it certainly seems to be about more than just his play on the field. And we're talking about a staff that has a reputation of being somewhat soft on players; part of the reason players like Pagano is because's a players' coach. So for them handle Wilson in this way -- going so far as to publicly comment on his lack of conditioning, awareness and preparation, which is a departure for this staff, IMO -- it stands to reason that it's more than just a one time, minor infraction on Wilson's part.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I can't figure out what's going on in the secondary, personally. It doesn't look like a lack of effort, to me; it looks like blown assignments and bad gameplanning. Receivers are w-i-d-e-o-p-e-n in critical situations, which is why they've given up so many big plays. I think the team kind of gave up on Sunday, but in general, I don't think they've quit or that Pagano has lost the team. I think the players still like and respect Pagano, as evidenced by D'Qwell's recent comments.

As for Wilson, I think I understand what's going on. Not that I'm endorsing how they're handling it, but we don't know all the behind the scenes stuff. Some young players are irresponsible and unprofessional, Wilson wouldn't be the first. He could be showing up late to meetings, sleeping in the back of the room, displaying a complete lack of awareness during film sessions, dogging it in practice, etc. Any number of things that none of us would be privy to, and if it's any of those things, that's completely on him, not anyone else. It's not the staff's fault if he's irresponsible, and it's not his teammates' fault if he's unprofessional.

I don't know that he's definitely having those kinds of issues, but it certainly seems to be about more than just his play on the field. And we're talking about a staff that has a reputation of being somewhat soft on players; part of the reason players like Pagano is because's a players' coach. So for them handle Wilson in this way -- going so far as to publicly comment on his lack of conditioning, awareness and preparation, which is a departure for this staff, IMO -- it stands to reason that it's more than just a one time, minor infraction on Wilson's part.

We do  agree on the fact that they have a problem with him and I don't know why. Right or wrong I think if this team was together we would not be talking about this. In my opinion this would never happen in the Pats locker room as the coaches or team leaders would not let it happen at least publically. We shall see how this plays out but he needs a leader to grab him by the ear and get his attention.

Busted coverages I definitely keep seeing a lot of.   Some of those plays Jax made against us don't happen if guys are where they are supposed to be in their zone responsibilities.  In fact some of those throws would have been potential picks if a guy is doing what he should have been doing.  That's sort of why I am saying we should simplify even more.   Run more man coverages, increase the blitz and a smaller amount of zone coverages.  Just use a small handful of zones that we know like the back of our hands to get the execution down.

15 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

We do  agree on the fact that they have a problem with him and I don't know why. Right or wrong I think if this team was together we would not be talking about this. In my opinion this would never happen in the Pats locker room as the coaches or team leaders would not let it happen at least publically. We shall see how this plays out but he needs a leader to grab him by the ear and get his attention.

The Pats inexplicably bench players all the time. We have two of their former doghouse players on our roster right now -- Sheard and Mingo.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Pats inexplicably bench players all the time. We have two of their former doghouse players on our roster right now -- Sheard and Mingo.

Agree. But if Bill thought they could contribute they would play. Look at the LaGarette Blount. A real problem child but played. Brought him back a second time to help them win a SB. Hightower is another case. If they are good enough Bill will find a way, if not they are out of there. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I can't figure out what's going on in the secondary, personally. It doesn't look like a lack of effort, to me; it looks like blown assignments and bad gameplanning. Receivers are w-i-d-e-o-p-e-n in critical situations, which is why they've given up so many big plays. I think the team kind of gave up on Sunday...

I was thinking earlier about this and about the only thing i can think of is the loss of mike adams. He wasnt an all star but the experience he had was great when it was time to line players up. There was a story about him being good at this last year around training camp. The thing i remember most from the article is TJ Green correcting him and Adams saying "you say something rookie?"

Most of tge year we have had Hooker and Farley back there and you already know they will not be as good as Adams when it comes to lining people up. Just an idea for why the secondary is in a decline.

I simply do not believe Pagano. The persons he has playing in front of Wilson are really bad. They blow multiple coverages. So what are they doing in practice. Are they playing terrible in practice but smiling. I want to see Wilson fail in a game and then I will believe Pagano. When Wilson has played  he has played well for a Rookie. 

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Agree. But if Bill thought they could contribute they would play. Look at the LaGarette Blount. A real problem child but played. Brought him back a second time to help them win a SB. Hightower is another case. If they are good enough Bill will find a way, if not they are out of there. 

Bill knows who he wants, and in what role.  He'll coach them up in it, and then it's "Do your job" time.  Bill never forgets a player he likes, even if he ends up on another team.  Later, if the opportunity is there, he'll bring the guy in.

Don't do your job, or don't' accept the Patriot Way, and you'll soon be shown the door and the next guy BB likes will have an active suitor...

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Bill knows who he wants, and in what role.  He'll coach them up in it, and then it's "Do your job" time.  Bill never forgets a player he likes, even if he ends up on another team.  Later, if the opportunity is there, he'll bring the guy in.

Don't do your job, or don't' accept the Patriot Way, and you'll soon be shown the door and the next guy BB likes will have an active suitor...

Kyle van Noy is the latest example. They got rid of Sheard and let van Noy take his place. 

This thread is the penultimate confirmation that the only way to convince the outside world that you have unity in the clubhouse is....winning.

We're not even halfway into a losing season with a new front office and media/fan speculation has many of us convinced of growing subversion between management, coaches and players....

What is even more comical is that the majority of fans and media have more confidence in first time GM whose team is fighting for the first overall pick than his predecessor whose team went 3-3 in the playoffs and never finished below .500 in five seasons.  

It doesn't matter who or what you think the problem is.....it's the lack of logic in the room.  That's why the word fan is an abbreviation for something.....and we should remember what and who we are.

5 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

This thread is the penultimate confirmation that the only way to convince the outside world that you have unity in the clubhouse is....winning.

We're not even halfway into a losing season with a new front office and media/fan speculation has many of us convinced of growing subversion between management, coaches and players....

What is even more comical is that the majority of fans and media have more confidence in first time GM whose team is fighting for the first overall pick than his predecessor whose team went 3-3 in the playoffs and never finished below .500 in five seasons.  

It doesn't matter who or what you think the problem is.....it's the lack of logic in the room.  That's why the word fan is an abbreviation for something.....and we should remember what and who we are.

Just to be clear....

Which media is reporting a growing subversion between management coaches and players?   That seems more the fans viewpoint.

Didn't we just have a report from Dqwell Jackson saying Pagano is popular with the players?

So....    what subversion?

15 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

I simply do not believe Pagano. The persons he has playing in front of Wilson are really bad. They blow multiple coverages. So what are they doing in practice. Are they playing terrible in practice but smiling. I want to see Wilson fail in a game and then I will believe Pagano. When Wilson has played  he has played well for a Rookie. 

I read your post and think....   that's why I BELIEVE Pagano.

Why would he play LESSER talents in front of Wilson?    What does Pagano have to gain?    Why would Pagano hurt his own cause?    Why would he lie?   He wants to win and save his job.

So if Pags is playing someone lesser instead of Wilson then I would think his public comments about Wilson needing to learn how to be a pro every day of the week and not just on Sundays are believable to me.